Packers @ Eagles GDT: Friday, Sept. 6th, 7:15 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
07 Sep 2024 10:04
Just watched the game. Life is different with a baby.

Overall it was just not a fun game. The NFL product just seems to be getting worse and worse
I have had the thought that September football in the NFL is the same as the preseason used to be. And our Packers are no exception. Last night was bad football. And yet we saw some good stuff too. It'll be at least a couple more weeks to get the team into a groove.

I also believe that MLF must do better at getting his team ready in week 1. The Eagles were clearly more prepared. They made mistakes too, but not huge gaffs like we did.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
07 Sep 2024 10:21
And who knows. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and the Packers aren't the only thing in my life now. But it just doesn't have the magic that it did 10+ years ago.
Yes. There are also so many sub packages on both sides of the LOS. The days of having a "main" 22 guys with a few subs are over. Scheming is much, much different. Maybe more players are taking plays off. Less cohesion to start a good part of the season. And they are more trying to increase the number of games and the teams to the playoffs. None of those things increases the level of play.

And don't get me going about the professional college athletes now too.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Sep 2024 15:29
go pak go wrote:
07 Sep 2024 10:21
And who knows. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and the Packers aren't the only thing in my life now. But it just doesn't have the magic that it did 10+ years ago.
Yes. There are also so many sub packages on both sides of the LOS. The days of having a "main" 22 guys with a few subs are over. Scheming is much, much different. Maybe more players are taking plays off. Less cohesion to start a good part of the season. And they are more trying to increase the number of games and the teams to the playoffs. None of those things increases the level of play.

And don't get me going about the professional college athletes now too.

It’s easy to not be excited about what the nfl put us through last night.

1) super long flight
2) trash field
3) weird fans doing the wave mid play
4) making fans pay for game
5) stealing home game from city of Philly

My point, just blame everything on Brazil and get excited for next week
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

texas wrote:
07 Sep 2024 13:03
My take from the game:

1) That reminded me of a playoff game. Because there were like 10 separate instances where, had only one of them gone our way, we would have won. Plus the refs screwed us. Reminiscent of the many gut punch playoff losses we have had over the past decade or two.

2) Sky is the limit (assuming Love doesn't miss a lot of time). I can't remember the last time I have seen a team play so sloppily. And yet we still almost beat a team that should be a SB contender.

3) Not a believer in Jacobs yet, but he at least got better as the game wore on, which may be the strategy with a guy like him. Christian Watson's dad was saying that on twitter a couple weeks ago and was vindicated imo. But as of right now would still rather have Jones. Wilson was the better RB in the first half.

4) Obviously these results were wacky due to playing on a slippery surface in a 3rd world country, so although I have opinions, due to the nature of the game, it's hard to be too confident in any direction yet. That was basically halfway between a preseason game and a normal game.

5) I think it's funny that no matter what we do, no matter who our coach or QB or DC is, no matter our defensive personnel, it seems like every year we come out of the gate the same as always: really good offense and passing game, and defense that can't stop anybody lol. There is no guarantee that Hafley is an improvement, people haven't considered that this offseason but it is true.
I agree with pretty much the entire post. Regarding #5, there was one year (2022 possibly?) that we lost the opener at home to New Orleans in a big way. Rodgers had long hair and played a horrible game. I was pissed to say the least.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Drj820 wrote:
07 Sep 2024 10:38
Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Sep 2024 10:37
MY_TAKE wrote:
06 Sep 2024 23:55

They were close to full from what I could tell.
Yes. Mostly full. There were some empty seats in the upper most deck. Kinda odd for a city of 23 million.
NFL Brazil was a total bust.
Unfortunately, the viewing audience was massive.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Half Empty wrote:
08 Sep 2024 08:43
Drj820 wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Sep 2024 10:37

Yes. Mostly full. There were some empty seats in the upper most deck. Kinda odd for a city of 23 million.
And they saw a crap field, crap stadium, crap fans, crap refs, and bad football because of not playing in preseason. But the NFL doesn't really care as long as people pay.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Papa John wrote:
07 Sep 2024 19:33
texas wrote:
07 Sep 2024 13:03
My take from the game:

1) That reminded me of a playoff game. Because there were like 10 separate instances where, had only one of them gone our way, we would have won. Plus the refs screwed us. Reminiscent of the many gut punch playoff losses we have had over the past decade or two.

2) Sky is the limit (assuming Love doesn't miss a lot of time). I can't remember the last time I have seen a team play so sloppily. And yet we still almost beat a team that should be a SB contender.

3) Not a believer in Jacobs yet, but he at least got better as the game wore on, which may be the strategy with a guy like him. Christian Watson's dad was saying that on twitter a couple weeks ago and was vindicated imo. But as of right now would still rather have Jones. Wilson was the better RB in the first half.

4) Obviously these results were wacky due to playing on a slippery surface in a 3rd world country, so although I have opinions, due to the nature of the game, it's hard to be too confident in any direction yet. That was basically halfway between a preseason game and a normal game.

5) I think it's funny that no matter what we do, no matter who our coach or QB or DC is, no matter our defensive personnel, it seems like every year we come out of the gate the same as always: really good offense and passing game, and defense that can't stop anybody lol. There is no guarantee that Hafley is an improvement, people haven't considered that this offseason but it is true.
I agree with pretty much the entire post. Regarding #5, there was one year (2022 possibly?) that we lost the opener at home to New Orleans in a big way. Rodgers had long hair and played a horrible game. I was pissed to say the least.
2021, pack-3 saints 38, not sure when he cut the hair, maybe right after that game, whatever, he/we, won the next 7 games though.

hard to judge defensive play on poor field, by nature, defense is a reaction to whatever the offense does, poor footing= slower reaction time, and we looked slow to react the other night to often.

I agree with others, our play resembled a PS tune up game, where all the starters play for a half, ugly.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

wallyuwl wrote:
09 Sep 2024 12:33
Half Empty wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

And they saw a crap field, crap stadium, crap fans, crap refs, and bad football because of not playing in preseason. But the NFL doesn't really care as long as people pay.
Agree. That was supposed to be my point. And, I've tried to do my part for many years - I haven't watched a live game, own no memorabilia, subscribe to nothing.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

This game was not one where we were humiliated. We played a good team pretty tough, even while we made LOADS of mistakes. We are only going to be getting better. It might take another month, but we will get better.

<clicking heels...>

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Half Empty wrote:
09 Sep 2024 16:24
wallyuwl wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

Agree. That was supposed to be my point. And, I've tried to do my part for many years - I haven't watched a live game, own no memorabilia, subscribe to nothing.
I blame the people that bought peacock just for this game. They are the ones that encourage this extortion from the nfl!!

Myself, I got a login from and old associate and watched without paying. I feel I got one over on the league. Small victories.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I’m getting around to rewatching to see what happened. My god is Quay Walker a really bad run defender. He just can’t take on blocks. If we play any OC worth his salt the number one game plan they’re going to have is go right at him. He’s got no physicality.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

wallyuwl wrote:
Half Empty wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Everything is deteriorating, Wally. These are the time that we’re living in. The sad truth is that for many people, NFL football, as watered down and pathetic of a product as it has become, is still the best thing in their life. I have to laugh sometimes when people get so fired up about the start of the new season. Like, dude, 2 weeks ago you were complaining about how your neighborhood has become overrun with crime, and how you can’t afford groceries, gas or insurance anymore. But as soon as the NFL comes around, all that &%$@ just goes right out the door, and you’re talking about buying jerseys and &%$@. It’s like when the English royalty used to use “circus and bread” strategy to keep the peasant class from rebelling. NFL is America’s circus and bread and that dough is getting stale. Better lather that up with some butter,NFL, because people are waking up.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Papa John wrote:
09 Sep 2024 18:23
wallyuwl wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

Everything is deteriorating, Wally. These are the time that we’re living in. The sad truth is that for many people, NFL football, as watered down and pathetic of a product as it has become, is still the best thing in their life. I have to laugh sometimes when people get so fired up about the start of the new season. Like, dude, 2 weeks ago you were complaining about how your neighborhood has become overrun with crime, and how you can’t afford groceries, gas or insurance anymore. But as soon as the NFL comes around, all that &%$@ just goes right out the door, and you’re talking about buying jerseys and &%$@. It’s like when the English royalty used to use “circus and bread” strategy to keep the peasant class from rebelling. NFL is America’s circus and bread and that dough is getting stale. Better lather that up with some butter,NFL, because people are waking up.
Now Bears fans are wearing #18 jerseys. Last year they wore Fields jerseys. :shock:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Papa John wrote:
09 Sep 2024 18:23
wallyuwl wrote:
Half Empty wrote: