5G Impact

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

5G Impact

Post by NCF »

I got into a bit with my SIL over 5G transition. Without posting any articles on the subject, I thought I would solicit opinions. Is 5G safe? Are the frequencies safe? Is the volume of towers and satellites safe? Is this safe in our schools or homes, etc.? I will admit, I never heard anything suggesting it was an issue until recently, so I am just curious what others know about the subject and what you think. Please don't make this about politics, just the science of it, the best we can get at.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We encounter it going through the security check at the airport.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Apr 2020 14:28
I fly once or twice a year. Contrast that to being subjected to it all day, everyday.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
01 Apr 2020 14:36
Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Apr 2020 14:28
I fly once or twice a year. Contrast that to being subjected to it all day, everyday.
TSA agents are however.

From what I have seen/read the frequency is still no where near high enough to affect cells in a cancerous way.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I work in IT, though not in the cell world, but talk to them plenty. Have never heard any concerns over it. But I can certainly ask their opinion if you are curious.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
01 Apr 2020 19:26
I work in IT, though not in the cell world, but talk to them plenty. Have never heard any concerns over it. But I can certainly ask their opinion if you are curious.
Just want to sort through the BS doom and gloom.

Any merit or are these "Doctors" doctors like Dr. Pepper is a doctor?

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Based on the video title I'll assume that's either an April Fools joke or Dr. Pepper. And Dr. Pepper is gross.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I thought that too originally, but it wasn't over the top enough. Should have posted the video first! :lol:

Mendeleev
Reactions:

Post by Mendeleev »

Ignoring that lady, there is a real world effect on the accuracy of weather forecasts. Some of the frequencies used by 5G will reduce the effectiveness of some weather satellites, and can severely reduce the accuracy of three day forecasts. The EU and US have put temporary limitations of the power used in the spectrum, but apparently its not nearly enough according to the WMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G#Interference_issues

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I don't know if it's bad or not, but my default opinion is to believe the conspiracy theories about it. Put it this way- I'll let other people try it out first before I do.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

The Finnish Radiation and Nuclear Authority has no worries about 5G, if the safety guidelines are followed. The exact same worries were brought up with 3G and 4G, and have amounted to nothing.

Summarizing their take: The wavelengths used in 5G force more base station antennae to be installed indoors, since the frequencies don't pierce solid materials as well. But the power and thus radiation used in short-range stations is much lesser than on bigger outdoor antennae of previous generations. Anyways, the radiation coming from base stations dwarfs that which you've been getting from a phone pressed to your ear (and even long term studies of that haven't shown a worrisome spike in cancer rates), which can be easily solved on a personal level by using any type of hands-free.

Overall I think it would be overkill to avoid 5G at all costs, while being OK with fully known carcinogens such as consumption of alcohol, wood dust, diesel engine exhaust and processed meats...

The worry about weather forecasts seems legit (weather satellites use 24GHz frequency to detect water vapour, while one of 5G frequencies is 23.8GHz), but solvable with regulation and tech.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Maybe this thread should be combined with the covid-19 one?

;)
RIP JustJeff

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

All the people I've seen post enthusiastically about the danger of 5g are the exact same people who won't stop taking about chemtrails.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Willink wrote:
09 Apr 2020 09:20
All the people I've seen post enthusiastically about the danger of 5g are the exact same people who won't stop taking about chemtrails.
That is my experience, too.

Read More. Post Less.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Mendeleev wrote:
01 Apr 2020 22:16
Ignoring that lady, there is a real world effect on the accuracy of weather forecasts. Some of the frequencies used by 5G will reduce the effectiveness of some weather satellites, and can severely reduce the accuracy of three day forecasts. The EU and US have put temporary limitations of the power used in the spectrum, but apparently its not nearly enough according to the WMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G#Interference_issues
So the weather guys will even more inaccurate? Or is another excuse used by weather people?