Viking week - GDT

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Nov 2020 22:33
I guess i just think multiple things can be true:

1. Gutey has had 3 drafts and not many of the players he drafted are helping this team win.

2. Pettine is nauseatingly passive and doesnt seem to be interested in stopping the run.

3. The defensive personnel is not equipped to stop the run without focusing on it. Pretty soft up front overall.

4. Like many of us said after the TB game...we are a good team, we are not an elite world beating team.

5. We are a front running team. If we can get a lead and force our opponents to throw the ball, we are very good.

6. We havent shown ourselves to respond very well to getting punched in the mouth. We seem to fold under intense adversity.

7. Although not perfect, Rodgers is having a good year.

8. Lefleur has bada** schemes.

9. I think the offense is outperforming its talent most weeks, a true WR2 will be needed against teams that have an elite corner that can slow down Adams.

10. We abandoned the run today after we went down 21-14. We got inpatient. That was unfortunate. If we keep pounding it ourselves and tie the game 21-21 we might have won.

11. Felt like the feel of the game was "Who is gonna flinch first", and throwing the ball 4 straight times down 21-14 and turning the ball over on downs was when we lost the game.

12. The packers will beat alot of average and bad teams, and win plenty of games. Playoff team..for sure.

13. The packers are in a division fight because like the bears, the packers have weaknesses that good teams will exploit.

14. Its hard to win multiple games without a starting corner, star LT, and star RB.

15. This is a weird year, if we just get to the dance we may can make magic happen.

16. We arent a favorite to make the ultimate magic happen, because other teams are miles ahead of us in fire power including Seattle, KC, and TB. I also think the Rams are a bad matchup for us.

17. Im happy the season is being played, this is a fun year and if we can respond well to getting punched in the mouth..all of our goals are in front of us.

18. The gifts TT left us that are still on the roster wont be here forever, and we cant pay them all...Gutey needs to learn to draft or he is about to start getting exposed.
I really don't think we're miles behind Seattle, KC, and TB. KC's defense is way better than ours, and so is TB's, but that's about it. I just don't buy that TB12 is good anymore. And I don't buy that TB's defense is the type that tends to stifle us in January. KC is the best because they have Tyreek Hill. Mahomes is a top 5 QB but honestly for one game I would rather have Rodgers. I don't think Seattle is better than us.

If we finish #1 or #2 in the NFC then we'll be just fine. In recent years it is pretty rare for a team which is not #1 or #2 to make it to the Super Bowl.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
01 Nov 2020 17:29
BF004 wrote:
01 Nov 2020 17:05
I may be in the minority, but this actually makes me more confident for Thursday.
I have no expectations for this team any longer until they prove me otherwise.

Like I said. Today just really, really took the winds out of my sails.
You said it best, " took the wind out my sails "
Sure, they'll make the playoffs again, maybe win a game. But after that, the really good teams are left. That's when the beatdown happens.
This team cannot tackle in the open field. This front line cannot take on blocks and stuff the run.
Tried to brush off the ass kicking the Bucs gave the Packers, but today's embarrassment showed everyone what an average team this is.
Big deal, you beat up on the likes of the Lions, Texans and the Falcons. Not so sure the Lions won't slap then in the face next time they play again.
This is still a soft team. Don't see that changing any time soon.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
01 Nov 2020 21:49
This Vikings team is a shell of the Vikings team that lost close ones to Seattle and Tennessee.

It'd be like Kabien Ento playing for our secondary they are so banged up.

Yeah. This was a bad loss. A division loss. A conference loss. A common opponent loss. A home loss. 2 losses in 3 weeks.

If we go 14-2 or 13-3 I will forgive it.

But this is exactly the type of loss that forces us to be a 3 to 5 seed and then we lose on the road in January and say, "if only we were at home"
Let's be honest, there is no " Home Field Advantage " this year. Except for the weather, it really doesn't matter where you play.

As for Kabion Ento, how do we know he can't tackle? Because the guys out there right now sure as hell can't.

It was more than a division loss, it was a blueprint on how to beat the snot of the Packers.

Who cares about a 13 or 14 win team when you can't beat a quality opponent? because that's all your going to meet in the playoffs.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
01 Nov 2020 17:40
BF004 wrote:
01 Nov 2020 17:05
I may be in the minority, but this actually makes me more confident for Thursday.
Yes, I think you are.
Both Kittle and Garoppolo left today's loss in Seattle with gimpy ankles. They have a lot of injury issues so they may not be the powerhouse they were last year.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Christo wrote:
01 Nov 2020 22:13
Labrev wrote:
01 Nov 2020 18:19
I am not convinced Savage's underwhelming development is not a function of the D-Coord (and staff) being dog &%$@. This is a guy who has all the tools and is not in a position to fail with the pieces around him, and yet...

I mean, sure, it's possible the guy is just a bust, but I have a hard time believing it's that simple, and it's not the only questionable move they have made with the young talent they have been given (not giving Burks any reps in his rookie year, not having Jackson focus on being a boundary corner, etc.)
I'm with you 100%. If the Vikings had told the Packers where they were going to run the ball, Pettine's defense couldn't have stopped them.
He has said multiple times, he's focused on pass coverage. Stopping the run is an afterthought. In fact, I don't even think he considerers it.
After watching the Vikings pound the Dline, don't see how the 49ers can lose against this high school defense.
If Pettine was more concerned with pass coverage when MN has Cook in the backfield he deserves a pink slip. :messedup: Cook was the one to stop, not Cousins.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

texas wrote:
01 Nov 2020 22:02
I'm just not concerned about today, at all. This team loves to take random weeks off.
These "take off's" correlate shockingly strong with "somewhat good football teams". That's just not good news if you want to win the SB. I don't see this team gettin a bye-week and I don't see them winning three straight. This team remembers me of our squads from 2013-2019: always above average, always hope, always a soft defense, always finding ways to lose eventually. Therefore I root for a trade. Because #12 and his offense is actually doing good and might be even improving (MVS, EQ, ...), but the defense is just soft and without a playmaker. If no trade then the only hope - once again - will be the imponderabilia of the Playoffs.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

German_Panzer wrote:
02 Nov 2020 00:20
texas wrote:
I'm just not concerned about today, at all. This team loves to take random weeks off.
These "take off's" correlate shockingly strong with "somewhat good football teams". That's just not good news if you want to win the SB. I don't see this team gettin a bye-week and I don't see them winning three straight. This team remembers me of our squads from 2013-2019: always above average, always hope, always a soft defense, always finding ways to lose eventually. Therefore I root for a trade. Because #12 and his offense is actually doing good and might be even improving (MVS, EQ, ...), but the defense is just soft and without a playmaker. If no trade then the only hope - once again - will be the imponderabilia of the Playoffs.
We have playmakers (Smiths, Alexander and Clark for sure) but they are inconsistent. P. Smith has only had a a handful of impactful plays this year.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

German_Panzer wrote:
texas wrote:
Eh, maybe. I think the take-offs are never bad teams, but thinking back, they're usually not great teams either. SF last year I would say was one we mailed in and they were great. But LAC surely wasn't (although they did have the type of defense that Rodgers can't beat). The first time I ever noticed this was in 2014 when we had I believe a night game against New Orleans, and we got destroyed, and they weren't very good, and CMIII was sitting on the bench laughing and having a great time while we got our asses kicked. And every year since then we have had weeks like that.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I sure didn't expect the Smiths and Clark to become so ineffective this season. In fact, with some improvement in Gary's game, I was expecting them to really take over games. I dunno what the opponents are doing differently to negate the roaming Z tactic that was so good last season. But if Pettine can't find a way to get more production outta his supposedly best players, that's a fireable offense.

This game: The weather took out our advantage in passing game, it also increased the impact of Minny's best asset while our number one RB was out. So I didn't expect an easy win.

The penalties sure hurt - both the ticky tacky calls on D, but also the avoidable mistakes on O. AR can overcome early down holding calls on a normal weather day, but that was much harder with these winds.

Minny didn't make the easy mistakes we did - the two EQSB drops at a crucial time spring to mind, but also sorry sucky tackling.

I'm not gonna despair over this loss, but it may be because I never go into a season expecting a no 1 seed. We're still positioned well to win the division, just beat the Bears twice.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Is Dom back running the defense? I was angry about it last week and yesterday it cost them the game. If I see corners not pressing, sagging off the receiver I am going to shut the TV off because I know what is coming.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Pugger wrote:
02 Nov 2020 00:54
German_Panzer wrote:
texas wrote:
We have playmakers (Smiths, Alexander and Clark for sure) but they are inconsistent. P. Smith has only had a a handful of impactful plays this year.
I was thinking about this last week. Pretty much everyone considers the Steelers defense to be the best, at least top 3 in the league right now.
Let's switch players but keep the coaches. Does anyone here believe the Packers would have the number 1 defense under Pettine?
And how good or bad would the Steelers defense be with the Packers players?

My belief is, the Pack are middle of the road and the Steelers are still top 5 at worst.
Maybe I'm over rating some of these players on the Pack. But coaching plays such an important part in sports. This is year 3 under Pettine and this years team looks worse than year 1.
I understand sometimes teams can play flat and stumble. But in this case, I got the feeling the Packers had no interest in playing.
If people on here feel different, feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm getting to the point of don't put player resources on the defense because it just doesn't matter. Ever since 2010 the Packers have drafted and signed defense. Defense. Defense. Defense.

And for what?

It has been a failed model.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Christo wrote:
01 Nov 2020 23:29
go pak go wrote:
01 Nov 2020 21:49
This Vikings team is a shell of the Vikings team that lost close ones to Seattle and Tennessee.

It'd be like Kabien Ento playing for our secondary they are so banged up.

Yeah. This was a bad loss. A division loss. A conference loss. A common opponent loss. A home loss. 2 losses in 3 weeks.

If we go 14-2 or 13-3 I will forgive it.

But this is exactly the type of loss that forces us to be a 3 to 5 seed and then we lose on the road in January and say, "if only we were at home"
Let's be honest, there is no " Home Field Advantage " this year. Except for the weather, it really doesn't matter where you play.

As for Kabion Ento, how do we know he can't tackle? Because the guys out there right now sure as hell can't.

It was more than a division loss, it was a blueprint on how to beat the snot of the Packers.

Who cares about a 13 or 14 win team when you can't beat a quality opponent? because that's all your going to meet in the playoffs.
This blueprint you speak of was established last season. Actually the last two seasons. It’s our front office the refuses to do anything about it.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
02 Nov 2020 06:53
I'm getting to the point of don't put player resources on the defense because it just doesn't matter. Ever since 2010 the Packers have drafted and signed defense. Defense. Defense. Defense.

And for what?

It has been a failed model.
It’s not a failed model if you don’t draft like a moron. Over and over we’ve been fitting round pegs into square holes. Datone Jones never fit a 3-4 (and shouldn’t have been a 1st round pick anyway), Damarious Randall was a clear safety we tried at CB who really wanted to play baseball, Quinten Rollins was a 1 year CB who wanted to play basketball, HHCD was a free safety with no range, Rashan Gary never has produced anything in his entire god damned football career and we took him at 12th, and then you trade up in the 1st and take the anti HHCD in Savage who is all range and no physicality.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I guess I feel less disappointment today than some, bc this team is about what I expected them to be. I never thought Lazard was going to be the perfect WR2. Now he impressed me before his injury, but he’s still basically a perfect wr3. I never thought kirksey was quality. Tonyan is a player that has exceeded my expectations and his production makes us better. But I knew going in the back crushing weakness we had last year, was not adequately addressed in the offseason. Kirksey wasn’t an answer to help us stop the run better. Montravious Adams May look good against the Texans, but overall I still think the guy sucks, and is no real answer to the glaring problem we had last year.

We didn’t really improve the team at all during the draft except for potential Kamal Martin. Who we will see about. And I know some people here don’t think you can judge a draft until 3 or 4 years down the road...and I get that. That is when final judgements should be made...but in today’s NFL, top picks come in and contribute. The first couple rounds are for guys who come in and get on the field. The game is different now. Well Gutey has given us 2 players that have come in and helped a lot in his three drafts...Jenkins and Jaire. Savage being a warm body that’s out there.

So I guess we banked everything as far as the team taking a leap and improving on “year 2 in Lafleurs system”, and guess what...that has made us a better team! I think the offense is better! But that doesn’t do anything to stop a team that enjoys pounding the rock for 60 minutes from breaking our will and making us look soft. Which is what we still haven’t addressed.

We are the same team as we were last year, with an improved offense because of familiarity, and more injuries.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Nov 2020 07:23
I guess I feel less disappointment today than some, bc this team is about what I expected them to be. I never thought Lazard was going to be the perfect WR2. Now he impressed me before his injury, but he’s still basically a perfect wr3. I never thought kirksey was quality. Tonyan is a player that has exceeded my expectations and his production makes us better. But I knew going in the back crushing weakness we had last year, was not adequately addressed in the offseason. Kirksey wasn’t an answer to help us stop the run better. Montravious Adams May look good against the Texans, but overall I still think the guy sucks, and is no real answer to the glaring problem we had last year.

We didn’t really improve the team at all during the draft except for potential Kamal Martin. Who we will see about. And I know some people here don’t think you can judge a draft until 3 or 4 years down the road...and I get that. That is when final judgements should be made...but in today’s NFL, top picks come in and contribute. The first couple rounds are for guys who come in and get on the field. The game is different now. Well Gutey has given us 2 players that have come in and helped a lot in his three drafts...Jenkins and Jaire. Savage being a warm body that’s out there.

So I guess we banked everything as far as the team taking a leap and improving on “year 2 in Lafleurs system”, and guess what...that has made us a better team! I think the offense is better! But that doesn’t do anything to stop a team that enjoys pounding the rock for 60 minutes from breaking our will and making us look soft. Which is what we still haven’t addressed.

We are the same team as we were last year, with an improved offense because of familiarity, and more injuries.
In our offense with our personnel we can be successful with Lazard as #2. Rodgers is still good enough to give opponents fits if he has Adams, Lazard, Malik Taylor, Tonyon, Sternberger and our backs Jones and Williams to throw too, especially if we can run the ball effectively and don't get too far behind. Who knows if Funchess could have made a difference this year if he had played. Our issues right now are on the other side of the ball. If we can't stop the run and play soft against the pass you are going to see a repeat of what we witnessed yesterday. It doesn't help when your D line is full of JAGs other than your nose tackle. The Smith Brothers are invisible this year and we can't keep King on the field. :messedup:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Nov 2020 07:23
Our issues right now are on the other side of the ball. If we can't stop the run and play soft against the pass you are going to see a repeat of what we witnessed yesterday. It doesn't help when your D line is full of JAGs other than your nose tackle. The Smith Brothers are invisible this year and we can't keep King on the field. :messedup:
I think Clark is part of the problem and we once again are falling victim to, "well he played well before this year so it must not be his fault."
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

This was a classic, looking past your opponent game. Before the game, Lafleur in his interview was asked about the guys that were out. For every single one Jones, King, Bakhtiari, and Greene, he mentioned how they were looking to get them back for Thursday's game. He didn't say that they were not quite ready or something along those lines, he specifically mentioned Thursday's game. They were not ready to play that game.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Nov 2020 08:07
This was a classic, looking past your opponent game. Before the game, Lafleur in his interview was asked about the guys that were out. For every single one Jones, King, Bakhtiari, and Greene, he mentioned how they were looking to get them back for Thursday's game. He didn't say that they were not quite ready or something along those lines, he specifically mentioned Thursday's game. They were not ready to play that game.
I think there is a part of that, yes, but I don't buy it as the sole explanation.

Read More. Post Less.