Home Improvement/Hobby Projects Thread

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Well we looked at the place and while there needs to be some changes to the interior it is the place on the lake that I will finally agree to move to. I am a creature of habit and put roots down I planned on dying on my ranch I love it that much, raised my kids here shot some damn fine bucks here but it is time to go.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
11 Apr 2020 08:22
Well we looked at the place and while there needs to be some changes to the interior it is the place on the lake that I will finally agree to move to. I am a creature of habit and put roots down I planned on dying on my ranch I love it that much, raised my kids here shot some damn fine bucks here but it is time to go.
It's a big and bold move, glad you are brave enough to do it. :salute:

My parents keep a flat in the city, but have essentially moved to our cottage beside a lake. That place really does them a world of good.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

My wife and I have been talking for a few years now about moving to a place with water access. We call it our “retirement retirement” home. Our home we’re in now is what we chose as our place to settle into once I retired from the military and is nice and all but we both love to be on the water. That’s our vision for when we both hang up our working boots.

We revived that convo last night - spurred by your posts, Carl - and agreed we’ll begin a search anew in earnest.

Good luck with your move!

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

I will be honest part of the lure of living on the water is a place for our grown children to gather. My wife loves the water and wants a lake place. I love boating and fishing. Moving will mean a commute that is over an hour, living on a lake will mean I have neighbors closer than what I am used to. Now I have to have my house on the market in 2 weeks.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
11 Apr 2020 09:03
I will be honest part of the lure of living on the water is a place for our grown children to gather. My wife loves the water and wants a lake place. I love boating and fishing. Moving will mean a commute that is over an hour, living on a lake will mean I have neighbors closer than what I am used to. Now I have to have my house on the market in 2 weeks.
That’s a big draw for my wife and I, as well. Family gatherings and easy water access. Picture where you see yourself in 1 year...5 years...etc. That’s what I do when facing the burdens of today.

It’ll be well worth the effort a year from now looking back.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

We moved about 2 years ago, ended up with a house that had like none of our must-haves because it was on a small lake. Love every bit of it. I would absolutely recommend if you get the chance.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

After 12 years on 3 acres and a 1900 square foot house (8 years with kids), we are finally building in May. It took us 5 years to find the right plot of land and get to this point. We were looking for 10-20 acres in a certain portion of St. Croix county. Put offers in on 3 other parcels, 2 we lost out to cash offers, and the 3rd we were accepted but the appraisal came back $100k under what we were willing to pay. That one was a great parcel on the north side of Willow River State Park. However, we closed on 20 acres of half wooded, half farm land last July. Got a plan for a 2500 square foot house, large 3 stall garage, unfinished basement, and screened in deck. Wish we could get out to make some of the small decisions like flooring and countertop while we have this time.

Hate spending all this money, but a small house with 2 boys is driving us crazy!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Got the Christmas lights off. Took the camper out of winter storage. Fertilized the lawn. Never done the latter this early before. Didn't want to be cutting grass twice a week during track season.

Now the next battle is with a pesky gopher!
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 12 Apr 2020 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

My wife and I are currently looking for a piece of property to build a house on. We kept looking at new homes and we kept picking them apart with all the stupid crap they do with them. So I told her to design one and we could work with it to make it what we want. So she did. Once we find a couple of acres in a good spot we will have plans drawn up and build it.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Apr 2020 18:03
Now the next battle is with a pesky gopher!
I had the striped ones in droves last year. Killed a few of 'em and the others seemed to give up when I continuously filled their holes and shoved mothballs down them. I have seen one, already, this spring, but seems to be hanging out in the neighbors yard... which is nice.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Apr 2020 10:40
Hate spending all this money, but a small house with 2 boys is driving us crazy!
$%@# it. You are going to wake up there every day for the rest of your natural born life, you better have a place that you actually enjoy waking up in.

Read More. Post Less.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Raptorman wrote:
11 Apr 2020 21:57
My wife and I are currently looking for a piece of property to build a house on. We kept looking at new homes and we kept picking them apart with all the stupid crap they do with them. So I told her to design one and we could work with it to make it what we want. So she did. Once we find a couple of acres in a good spot we will have plans drawn up and build it.
Property in FL or back up north? We are eager to get a new place down here. Hubby wants a garage and I want to sturdier place because of the storms. We were actively looking until everything got shut down last month. I think we'll now wait until the fall. We are hoping to hear from UWGB to see if we can rent a student apartment again this summer. We sent in our security deposit in late February but now we are hold. We've been staying at UWGB for 10 weeks every summer for 14 years so we hope by May the country will start to open up a little and the college will have their snowbird program again this year. Fingers crossed...

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
large 3 stall garage
Best thing in did in my entire build was put in a garage heater. You will never regret the additional couple grand it takes to put a nice one in. I run it all winter at 45 degrees and its great for the cars and an electronics you have out there. And any time you want to work you back out the cars and crank it up to 65... its pretty damn slick.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
12 Apr 2020 12:57
Pckfn23 wrote:
large 3 stall garage
Best thing in did in my entire build was put in a garage heater. You will never regret the additional couple grand it takes to put a nice one in. I run it all winter at 45 degrees and its great for the cars and an electronics you have out there. And any time you want to work you back out the cars and crank it up to 65... its pretty damn slick.
Ya, unfortunately we had to save some cost by not finishing the garage, but we will definitely do doing it in the future. Heater is definitely in the cards!

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pugger wrote:
12 Apr 2020 12:25
Raptorman wrote:
11 Apr 2020 21:57
Property in FL or back up north? We are eager to get a new place down here. Hubby wants a garage and I want to sturdier place because of the storms. We were actively looking until everything got shut down last month. I think we'll now wait until the fall. We are hoping to hear from UWGB to see if we can rent a student apartment again this summer. We sent in our security deposit in late February but now we are hold. We've been staying at UWGB for 10 weeks every summer for 14 years so we hope by May the country will start to open up a little and the college will have their snowbird program again this year. Fingers crossed...
Down here in FL. We want at least 1.5 acres to 10. Someplace we can build a house, garage, and workshop.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

NCF wrote:
12 Apr 2020 12:57
Pckfn23 wrote:
large 3 stall garage
When I move I will put a corn stove in my shop. Best thing I did was replace my wood burning stove with a corn stove. Constant temperature in the house, no ash and dust like wood burning and burned 1 ton a month to heat the house.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

So operation dumpster went well. The son inlaw is bringing the skid loader with the grapple bucket down and we are taking the wood lean to off the one garage and the chicken lean to off the other garage. Turn the horse compost pile and general clean up. Should have the place cleaned up and ready to list in less than 10 days.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
12 Apr 2020 10:06
Pckfn23 wrote:
$%@# it. You are going to wake up there every day for the rest of your natural born life, you better have a place that you actually enjoy waking up in.
That's the plan! Pay it off just before we retire and not have to worry about a mortgage payment in retirement. That might go to a big old EV! ;)

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

NCF wrote:
09 Apr 2020 19:06
BF004 wrote:
09 Apr 2020 18:11
What does that shower all do?
Looks like it would do your taxes.
I wish. Now I have to go and do them.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Got the back deck stripped and resealed. What a pain. Thank god it's a once-every-five-years type chore.
Attachments
103218.jpeg
103218.jpeg (598.16 KiB) Viewed 7670 times