Official Fire Pettine Thread

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Official Fire Pettine Thread

Post by German_Panzer »

Trust me, this thread will prosper as the season goes on. Anybody already in Fire-Pettine-Mode? I gotta say I am close. The dude just produces the same soft-bending sh*t like Dom, just with better material. He can still turn it around but little hope.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I understand the reasons for this thread, and I very well may be joining the choir next week calling for Pettines head.

But for this week, I’m actually far more disappointed in the offense. They put the defense in almost impossible situations. After all the turnovers, and all the second half 3 and outs, to only give up 3 as many times as the D did and still give the O a chance to win the game at the end...I’m gonna lay off Pettine this week, maybe next week. :aok:
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

It isn't that Pettine couldn't do better or that the Packers would be better served with a different DC.

But the offense just gifted over the ball FOUR times against a decent team on foreign soil. And you want to start a thread about firing the DC after the OFFENSE gave the game away? The Pack is fortunate that the Colts didn't hang 50 on them after that.

At least wait until next week man. Cool the jets for now.

Enjoy dude!
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm on the train.

Our 3rd down plays are disgusting. I mean every time it was 3rd and 12 we were like....yup. They are converting.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Nov 2020 03:35
I understand the reasons for this thread, and I very well may be joining the choir next week calling for Pettines head.

But for this week, I’m actually far more disappointed in the offense. They put the defense in almost impossible situations. After all the turnovers, and all the second half 3 and outs, to only give up 3 as many times as the D did and still give the O a chance to win the game at the end...I’m gonna lay off Pettine this week, maybe next week. :aok:
Yeah I knew we lost the game when we went 3 and out after the Colts had a 7.5 minute possession.

For as bad as the Colts first drive that 2nd half was....holding them to 3 was a win. If the Packers could have had a 4 minute drive and respond with 3....we win that game.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pettine will absolutely be fired it just won’t be mid season. The Packers just don’t do that type of thing when things are going well and they’re 7-3. This team is perfectly fine with being good enough to make the playoffs and right now that’s where they’re at.

I think of Pettine the same way I think of Capers. They’re probably fine coaches and they’ve got some talent but there also a lot of holes and it’s hard to overcome those holes to be an elite defense.

That said you can’t keep doing the same &%$@ and hoping for different results. At some point you need to try something else.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 06:06
Drj820 wrote:
23 Nov 2020 03:35

Yeah I knew we lost the game when we went 3 and out after the Colts had a 7.5 minute possession.

For as bad as the Colts first drive that 2nd half was....holding them to 3 was a win. If the Packers could have had a 4 minute drive and respond with 3....we win that game.
I only knew it when a Colt hopped on MVS' fumble. If there is a prize for being the first one to predict losses, Doom and Gloomer of the Week Award, well, I predict we lose all games from here on to infinity. ;)

The D did a helluva job at the end of regulation to force more legit holds than I've ever seen, even when folks must've been gassed. Allowed us to tie it, gave a chance at winning with a TD.

That said, yes, the 3rd and long blunders are horrible. If all you can scheme is playing zone while rushing 3 or 4, if you have no faith in your players being able to do anything more elaborate, you are just getting out-coached.

I don't think Pettine is the worstest DC in existence. He's no genius either. We should strive to find better.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I do agree giving up 16 yards on 3rd and 20 and then the first on 4th down is horrendous and probably firable based on that gross defensive formation we came out in on 3rd down. We had our secondary healthy, and the call played so scared!
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 06:05
I'm on the train.

Our 3rd down plays are disgusting. I mean every time it was 3rd and 12 we were like....yup. They are converting.
And this has been an issue for a while now. I'm weary of seeing receivers wide open in the middle of the field and zero pressure on immobile QBs.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Nov 2020 07:16
Pettine will absolutely be fired it just won’t be mid season. The Packers just don’t do that type of thing when things are going well and they’re 7-3. This team is perfectly fine with being good enough to make the playoffs and right now that’s where they’re at.

I think of Pettine the same way I think of Capers. They’re probably fine coaches and they’ve got some talent but there also a lot of holes and it’s hard to overcome those holes to be an elite defense.

That said you can’t keep doing the same &%$@ and hoping for different results. At some point you need to try something else.
That is the definition of insanity. :|

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The reason I would be okay with the firing is because he just sets this defense up for failure all the time.

He doesn't trust his talented players to play. You can't make a defense work so hard to get the opponent on 3rd and long and then make the crap call to let the offense easily convert.

It is inexcusable and it is so deflating for a defense. I also wouldn't mind seeing Shepherd cut. You can't do these things to the team and be okay with it.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Already? I've been on it for weeks. I was 50/50 on firing him after that historically bad NFCCG showing. He was definitely on a short-leash coming into the season and somehow is doing a worse job than last time.

He has been calling these games as if we have mass-injuries at positions or an overall talent deficit. With the exception of last week at CB, the roster on D is fine on paper. All signs point to him being the issue.

He and the defense may not have been the main party responsible for the Indy loss but we have plenty of reason at this point to move on.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:54
The reason I would be okay with the firing is because he just sets this defense up for failure all the time.

He doesn't trust his talented players to play. You can't make a defense work so hard to get the opponent on 3rd and long and then make the crap call to let the offense easily convert.

It is inexcusable and it is so deflating for a defense. I also wouldn't mind seeing Shepherd cut. You can't do these things to the team and be okay with it.
nothing has changed, we used 2 ILBs in the first half, the Colts matched up Pitman (WR) on Kirksey up the seam for a TD, in the 2nd half Pettine used a hybrid safety (Green) to assure that wouldn't happen again, so the Colts ran the ball at Raven Green to the tune of 60 yrds and a TD, easy to blame Pettine I know I do it to, however a faster Kirksey ( fullsize faster lber) and the Colts may not have attempted that pass to Pittman.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:49
go pak go wrote:

nothing has changed, we used 2 ILBs in the first half, the Colts matched up Pitman (WR) on Kirksey up the seam for a TD, in the 2nd half Pettine used a hybrid safety (Green) to assure that wouldn't happen again, so the Colts ran the ball at Raven Green to the tune of 60 yrds and a TD, easy to blame Pettine I know I do it to, however a faster Kirksey ( fullsize faster lber) and the Colts may not have attempted that pass to Pittman.
So you're saying we need a better ILB? Crazy talk. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:50
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

We’ve known that for a decade. This front office doesn’t care about fixing weaknesses. If that was the case we would have some better receivers and something competent as a returner.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
Already? I've been on it for weeks. I was 50/50 on firing him after that historically bad NFCCG showing. He was definitely on a short-leash coming into the season and somehow is doing a worse job than last time.

He has been calling these games as if we have mass-injuries at positions or an overall talent deficit. With the exception of last week at CB, the roster on D is fine on paper. All signs point to him being the issue.

He and the defense may not have been the main party responsible for the Indy loss but we have plenty of reason at this point to move on.
I doubt Pettine wants to use P Smith to cover a faster TE, or Kirksey to cover a WR running a seam route, he does so because he needs to use a safety to cover a RB or some other matchup issue, I'am not so much defending Pettine as I'am trying to explain there are valid reasons for some of this stuff.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:53
paco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

We’ve known that for a decade. This front office doesn’t care about fixing weaknesses. If that was the case we would have some better receivers and something competent as a returner.
This is an incorrect statement. I do not believe the front office doesn't care about fixing weaknesses. They just believe they can fix it other ways or for cheaper. It's been proven they are wrong in most cases, but they'll continue to believe money is better spent elsewhere.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

haha, I thought Kirksey played pretty well, but he's a poor matchup against a WR. :(

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

I am usually the last person to hop on the "Fire coach X" train. That being said, I think it may be time. Yes, the offense put the defense in a lot of bad spots with turnovers, but can you ever depend on this defense to make a big play when needed? Is it the players? We have some decent players at all levels of the defense, and of course talent could be a bit better, but schemes suck to be rather blunt.

After last year and the pressure we created on the QB, I was so excited to see what we did on D this year. The fact is we are pretty mediocre in most facets. Let's take a look at rankings in the NFL:

Defense:
Total Defense in YPG: 12th in the NFL
Passing Defense in YPG: 14th in the NFL
Rushing Defense in YPG: 13th in the NFL
Points Against: 17th in the NFL
Interceptions: 27th in the NFL
Fumble Recoveries: 18th in the NFL

So from those numbers, it doesn't look too bad. It is the typical, bend don't break defense. Two things get me: 1- Lack of turnovers, we just can't make big plays. 2- The eye test is brutal. We crumble in clutch moments. Does anyone have faith we can get off the field on 3rd down?

Special Teams:
Kickoff Return Yards: 32nd in the NFL
Punt Return Yards: 27th in the NFL

THIS is my big problem. Our special teams opportunities suck. Can we not block like other teams? Do we not have a burner that can make things happen? As far as Kicker and Punter go I think we are fine there. Crosby is close to automatic these days. JK is middle of the row when it comes to punting distance, but is 23rd in NET. We can't cover.

So while I am getting on the train that Pettine should be gone, I want our special teams coaching staff swept out of the building first. Not acceptable, and you can win or lose games from special teams, and we are losing the battle.

This coming from a Packer honk and apologist. :lol:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

awright which one of you fanatics called MVS last night? :lol: (joking)

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 389544002/