2020 Dynasty League Discussion

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

:cry:
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk wrote:
10 Dec 2020 13:06
Why would we decrease QB value? 11 of the top 20 scorers are QB's, in 2019 it was 10. We are in a league where we start 3 QB's, how is this bad? Do you only want 5 QB's in the top 20 scorers?
I'd probably want about 5-7 maybe. 5-7 of each position, maybe a TE or two sneaks in. I mean wouldn't that be the best target?

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BF004 wrote:
11 Dec 2020 08:29
Packfntk wrote:
10 Dec 2020 13:06
Why would we decrease QB value? 11 of the top 20 scorers are QB's, in 2019 it was 10. We are in a league where we start 3 QB's, how is this bad? Do you only want 5 QB's in the top 20 scorers?
I'd probably want about 5-7 maybe. 5-7 of each position, maybe a TE or two sneaks in. I mean wouldn't that be the best target?
Are you trying to fix something that isn't broken because you have brutal QB's? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just looked at the top 20 in all my leagues outside of this one:

14 QB's
12 QB's
13 QB's

It is the most important position in the NFL and in fantasy, if you play SuperFlex.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

No, not at all. Not sure how pushing for balance between positions equates to anything selfish on my end. Gotta say I really don't work that way, especially as a commissioner. Just trying to look for ways to keep the league most fun for everyone.

To flip that accusation, is your stance because you have a QB heavy team, do you not want to have balance between positions?

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BF004 wrote:
11 Dec 2020 11:16
No, not at all. Not sure how pushing for balance between positions equates to anything selfish on my end. Gotta say I really don't work that way, especially as a commissioner. Just trying to look for ways to keep the league most fun for everyone.

To flip that accusation, is your stance because you have a QB heavy team, do you not want to have balance between positions?
Well yeah, the league has been set up that way for 8 years, so I have drafted players, traded up for players, etc. I wouldn't have traded back into the draft to grab Hurts if the position is devalued.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

How big of a difference would it be to go from 25 yards per point to 30?

Typical game of 300 yards would have a 2 point reduction. Looking at maybe a 5 point reduction in a week if you start 3 guys.

I guess i don’t care a ton either way. I just think 6 of the top 7 fantasy players all at one position and the top 5 might be a bit much.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
11 Dec 2020 12:02
How big of a difference would it be to go from 25 yards per point to 30?

Typical game of 300 yards would have a 2 point reduction. Looking at maybe a 5 point reduction in a week if you start 3 guys.

I guess i don’t care a ton either way. I just think 6 of the top 7 fantasy players all at one position and the top 5 might be a bit much.
What was it last year with QBs in the top 10?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I answered my own question:
5 QBs in the top 10, 4 of the top 7

I wouldn't be in favor of anything more than a move from 25 to 30 yards for a point.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Well I'd be all for changing up something with QB's. Its just not working out. I've been in the sweet spot for QB draft mediocrity (around 4-5) for years now, and despite drafting the best available, its been pretty much a bust. I got real close to having to start a backup because it was all I had. Simply because of the QB position my team is years from being competitive, despite having a pretty solid set of skill positions (cept my perpetually on IR TE's). I don't do tanking (either trading away the whole team or not trying), and that's pretty much what is needed if you want a top QB prospect.

I like Fleaflicker. Its fast and I think they show the best information. Its much easier now that they have an app. Otherwise I play on Yahoo. Would not be in favor of anything but Yahoo or Fleaflicker.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I don't know that I understand the logic behind the "QBs are high scorers in other leagues, too" arguments.

Other league rarely start 3 QBs; other leagues don't have 32-player rosters; other leagues don't start 14 players weekly;

This is a weird league. You make rules for your league, not for other leagues.

I don't have a strong preference, but like I said, if you up the penalty points for QBs who turn the ball over a lot, you're both making the fantasy value more reflective of the NFL value and you're reducing QB points for QBs who make mistakes while maintaining QB points for those who don't. So in the aggregate, QB points decline while the benefit of having great QBs remains.

I think the problem is that starting a bad QB who gets you only 15 points is still better than starting a solid RB in a lot of cases. With this much flexibility, and the ability to build the team how you want, you want the positions a little more balanced. But don't take away points from good QBs. The key to fantasy is relative advantage--so you want to maintain a world in which having Mahomes is MUCH better than having Bridgewater. Rather than make Mahomes and Bridgewater both less valuable.

higher penalties for turnovers accomplishes that.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ks-career/
ndrew Luck hasn’t played since 2018, and after no one ruled out the quarterback’s return immediately after his retirement, Luck’s name hasn’t surfaced much over the past year.

But Luck is only 31.

Could he still pull a Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods or Aldon Smith and return one day?

Colts owner Jim Irsay doesn’t believe so.

“You know, I don’t think so. I really don’t,” Irsay told NFL Media this week. “I think that door’s closed.”

I would be happy with a decision either way. Kind of had cut downs in August/September next year as to when I would finally release him. So kind of like this. Would be such BS after moving for him, to get nothing out of him except a wasted roster spot, then someone picks him up 3 minutes before I get a chance to, lol.

Also, turns out you did win this trade for sure, because I gave you pick 1.6 back for Ty Montgomery, lol

image.png
image.png (37.75 KiB) Viewed 385 times

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Happy playoffs y’all! I’m a few cocktails in but finally got some free time and wanted to weigh in.

I don’t love flea flicker, but it’s gotten a lot better, I’m fine with keeping it- and it’s free. Also on a selfish note, I have 5 leagues and they each have their own platform, which is nice. Sleeper is probably the best dynasty free app, but it’s not without its quirks too.

I’m decidedly against any short term reduction in superflex spots. This league has always been 3 QB and as others have said as well, I have built around that set of rules. If we were to make a change it should be several seasons out to allow strategies to shift. QB scoring is fine as it is IMO.

I’m good with ditching divisions altogether as a 10 team league with 4 playoff spots. Open to changing the playoff qualifiers, could do top 3 records and top point scorer of the remaining 7 teams, I’ve seen that in a few leagues and it mitigates the chance of a really good team scoring a ton of points but running into the top team several times. Not in favor of adding playoff teams unless we expanded to 12 teams again at some point.

Tanking- easy solution is if FF allows it or if it can be easily attained without much grief base draft order on ascending order of optimal points. Playoff teams by finish of course.

I’m in favor of eliminating trade deadline altogether, also in favor of moving it back if kept. A later or no trade deadline usually heats up the market as the buyers and sellers are more easily defined.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Madcity_matt wrote:
11 Dec 2020 19:38
Tanking- easy solution is if FF allows it or if it can be easily attained without much grief base draft order on ascending order of optimal points.
I really like this idea.

We always handle the draft outside of FF anyways, we can just figure the draft order on our own too.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I think that would be a good solution to determine tanking, but I do not think draft order should be set that way.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
12 Dec 2020 12:05
Madcity_matt wrote:
Tanking- easy solution is if FF allows it or if it can be easily attained without much grief base draft order on ascending order of optimal points.
I really like this idea.

We always handle the draft outside of FF anyways, we can just figure the draft order on our own too.
I love this.

Would playoff teams still be the last 4 picks though? Or would all ten picks be determined this way?

I really like having randomness effect the season, but if aiming for parity in the longer-term, optimal points is a much better draft determinant

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Dec 2020 19:57
BF004 wrote:
12 Dec 2020 12:05
Madcity_matt wrote:
I really like this idea.

I love this.

Would playoff teams still be the last 4 picks though? Or would all ten picks be determined this way?

I really like having randomness effect the season, but if aiming for parity in the longer-term, optimal points is a much better draft determinant
It isn't simply for the fact that we don't determine head to head wins or loses by optimal points.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

I love the idea of eliminating the divisions altogether.

I don't mind Fleaflicker at all now that they have the phone app. Staying has the advantage that I can go back and look at those wonderful years before I managed my team into the ground. ;)

I especially love the suggestion of determining draft order based on optimal points. This season would be perfect to try that, and we can re-assess next year based on where I end up then... ;)

Tweaking the QB scoring might be okay, but I do not approve of changing the flex positions to eliminate the possibility of playing 3 QBs. We've been drafting and building based upon this structure for years and the position is too important to change in a major way at this point. The moves away from 2 defenses and 2 kickers were early enough on and at relatively random positions year to year, so they didn't really affect long-term team building in the way that a shift at QB would.

I think the trade deadline is too early. If people are allowed to rape me in September, why can't they also rape me in December?

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Are we opening up trading January 1? Asking for a friend who loves to trade and would like to shake things up a bit. 8-)

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Dec 2020 21:48
It isn't simply for the fact that we don't determine head to head wins or loses by optimal points.
It would sure seem to eliminate any idea of tanking, though.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
14 Dec 2020 12:02
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Dec 2020 21:48
It would sure seem to eliminate any idea of tanking, though.
I think it is an excellent idea to use it for determining tanking, no doubt. As a draft order determinate, it holds some issues. For example, I have 4 legitimate starting QBs. My worst 2 weeks for optimal % is when I didn't start Wentz and Cam Newton laid an egg, but Wentz went off. That has NOTHING to do with tanking.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 14 Dec 2020 12:13, edited 1 time in total.