SB Believing Bye Week Mock

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

SB Believing Bye Week Mock

Post by lupedafiasco »

GM:
Gutenkunst gets a pass this time but hes on thin ice for disrespecting the GOD last offseason drafting a QB.

Coaches:
Everything remains the same but STs. Pettine did well down the stretch and the team won a SB. Cant replace him after that. Mennenga just hasnt fielded a good unit. Blocked kicks, punts, blown coverages, missed XPs, shanks, kickoff gaffes, etc. You cant have all that happen and leave me to believe youre the man for the job.

Cut:
Dean Lowry- We have better players below him
Devin Funchess- Hes a lazy turd who should have never been trusted in the first place. Quitter
Christian Kirksey- Both Martin and Barnes are better and Im not so sure Summers isnt better too

Resign:
Damon Harrison- It shouldnt be so hard to retain him on the cheaper side
Tyler Lancaster- Cheap RFA
Chandon Sullivan- Cheap RFA
Allen Lazard- Cheap RFA
Robert Tonyan- Cheap RFA
Malik Taylor- Cheap RFA
Raven Greene- Cheap RFA

Notable players not resigned:
Aaron Jones- Dont pay RBs
Kevin King- Dont overpay for bums
Jamal Williams- Dont pay RBs
Corey Linsley- Its hard to pay every one on the OL. We have a ton of money invested there and 3 draft picks on the interior from last season. Gotta develop somewhere
Lane Taylor- Just time to move on
Mercedes Lewis- Just time to move on
Tavon Austin- Not impressed
Tyler Ervin- Too many injuries
Montravious Adams- Too inconsistent. Would have liked to see more during a contract year
Tim Boyle- Whats the point with Love on the roster

FA:
Its too early to tell and were tight on cap. I think Ill leave it blank for now and say we roll into the draft with what we got.

Draft:
Round 1:
Asante Samuel Jr CB FSU
Its probably a bit early for ASJ and maybe we should try and trade down here but in the event there is no one to move with I take who I believe is going to be a lockdown CB and a great player to replace Pan Fried Noodles. ASJ is on the smaller side at 5'10 185 but he is a fighter and a sticky CB in coverage. FSU leaves him on an island in coverage quite often and he does well in coverage, battling for positioning, and what I love best is his tenacity as a tackler. He leaves it all on the field. Obviously he has the bloodline with his father being a pro bowl CB. The ball skills didnt quite translate. ASJ does well tracking but hes not the best hands catcher but production is also somewhat low because he isnt tested often. I think you take Samuel Jr here and never worry again about your boundary CBs for a 8ish years.

Round 2:
Landon Dickerson C Bama
Dickerson is a super experienced and versatile player currently the center for Alabama. I think this center class is really good and not being talked about enough with the QBs, WRs, and CBs taking the shine. Humphrey from Oklahoma and Myers from OSU are both two great center prospects that I would leap on if available but I think its unrealistic. Dickerson is massive at 6'6 325 and generates a solid push up front. Hes played all 5 positions on the OL during his time at FSU and Alabama so his versatility is something to be valued. PFF had him rated as the best run blocking C in the nation. Unfortunately he suffered a major knee injury during the SEC championship which has not been confirmed to be an ACL yet. Still I think this is a great player to step in and take over for Linsley. Won the Rimington trophy for being the nations best center.

Round 3:
Alim McNeil DT NC St
NC State pumps out disruptive DLineman and McNeil is the next up from this factory. McNeil has the potential to be a gamewrecker while taking pressure off of Clark. McNeil was NC States NT but he is pretty athletic for a bigger guy. Hes listed 6'2 315 and though that isnt typical NFL NT measurables he can kind of fit in anywhere and be that versatile piece that can play in any situation. Like many young players in the trenches he lacks technique and mainly understanding leverage. A lot of the time when he has a negative play he gets too high and gets washed out. He needs to get himself brainwashed into staying lower and not getting too excited when hes in position.

Round 4a:
Tylan Wallace WR Ok St
Im a massive fan of this kid and I think he fits as a slot type of receiver. Wallace, listed at 6' 185 is one polished receiver. He is a fighter in every sense of the word. He is a tenacious run blocker despite his size and his scrappiness shows up when running through tackles. Hes great in the YAC department. He can be elusive but he will absolutely run through DBs or stiff arm them to death. Another thing that you wouldnt think when looking at his size is his ability to win contested catches. His hands are terrific and he can outjump DBs with ease to win 50/50 balls. I truly believe he has the best hands in this class. If he had maybe 2 or 3 more inches he would probably be a 2nd round pick. Everything hinges on what he runs for a 40 but I think he will run a high 4.4 low 4.5. He isnt a burner and he needs some serious work on his release repertoire but I think hes got tools to work with and his deficiencies are coachable. The Packers dont need a WR1 but they do need WRs to coach up and develop into good WR2s and 3s. A good comparison is Jarvis Landry.

Round 4b:
Tamorrion Terry WR FSU
I last had Terry as a 2nd round guy. He had a rough season due to bad QB play and quitting on the team opting out when things were going poorly. He was also banged up from reports Ive read. Terry is a slim 6'4 WR who is a big play burner of a receiver but he has some inconsistencies. Hes honestly a younger MVS. Theres a ton of potential here if he can become more consistent. I definitely think hes better than MVS but Terry really needs more experience. FSU has had bad QBs since Winston left and Terry hasnt been given the opportunities needed to get better. Hes very good with the ball in his hands. Hes super elusive for such a big guy. This is definitely a project pick with big play potential down the line that can be more consistent than MVS hopefully. You watch him play and this is DK Metcalf minus the shirtless picture.

Round 5a:
Cordell Volson OT North Dakota St
I dont know too much about Volson. I have seen him watching Trey Lance tape and he holds up pretty well. Hes listed at 6'6 312 so the length and weight are about right. It could be something to develop as a backup OT. We need to get something to develop at that position. Could be worth a look.

Round 5b: Master Teague RB OSU
Teague is a big back at 5'11 225 and is very strong running in between the tackles. I'm not quite sure I believe it but it was reported coming out of HS he ran a 4.3 and jumped 40" in his vert. Its possible. Durability and a talented backfield has hurt his production in college. There is a ton of talent here to be a rotational back and possibly handle the load if needed too. Has the body type to pass protect. I do like Teagues ability to spell Dillon as another power back who also has breakaway potential.

Round 6a:
Javian Hawkins RB Louisville
This could be a real steal here. Hawkins is a smaller back in the Aaron Jones mold. Super agile and can stop and start on a dime but hes undersized. 5'9 and 196 officially which is probably a little exaggerated. Hes definitely got the game breaking ability but like all small backs he offers nothing in pass protection or short yardage power running. Scouting reports say he tries hard and that does show up in pass protection but if hes against a LB he usually gets rocked badly. Still as a runner this kid is special. Another knock I have against him is he needs to get more patient. Hes a very young player. Only a RS Sophomore so there will need to be a lot of development before he can be trusted in a game.

Round 6b:
Paddy Fisher LB Northwestern
This is my guy as Ive said in previous mocks. Fisher is a playmaker constantly making tackles all over the field and punching the ball out. Hes a bigger LB at 6'4 245. I think he could drop 10 pounds to add some speed as he isnt the most athletic LB in the world but he gets by on instincts and effort. This is one of those defenders whos a lead by example guy and loves to hit. He will not sit back and wait for someone else to tackle. He is in on every pileup if its within range.

Round 7:
Peyton Hendershot TE Indiana
Hendershot has huge upside. Broke TE reception records for Indiana. They played him all over the formation whether that inline, slot, and even some FB. Why he is so low is because hes a turd. He was suspended from Indiana for beating his girlfriend. I think bringing him in is worth a shot. Give him a chance and if he blows you you lose a 7th round pick.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Funchess is a quitter because he opted out because of COVID? He did so out of concern for his family.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/0 ... 20-season/

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
09 Jan 2021 08:34
Funchess is a quitter because he opted out because of COVID? He did so out of concern for his family.

Everyone’s got a family. He’s the only one on the SB bound team that quit.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah. Throwing an unneeded jab in there at Funchess without knowing his family situation was unnecessary and distracting from the rest of the mock.

Kind of hate not being able to resign anybody there other than rfas for the most part, but sadly that may become reality.

But I actually kind of like it all in the draft and the positions and talent you added.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
09 Jan 2021 10:08
But I actually kind of like it all in the draft and the positions and talent you added.
I like the double-dipping at RB and WR. Makes it more realistic because Gute has shown a penchant for it and gets me looking at a few new guys at key positions.

Read More. Post Less.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Jan 2021 09:11
Pugger wrote:

And you think he should put football before his family? I think your priorities are misplaced big time here.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
09 Jan 2021 10:15
lupedafiasco wrote:
Pugger wrote:

And you think he should put football before his family? That says a lot about your priorities. :nono:
The whole world is out here working. What makes him so special? Mask up and go do the job you signed a contract to do.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
09 Jan 2021 10:11
BF004 wrote:
I like the double-dipping at RB and WR. Makes it more realistic because Gute has shown a penchant for it and gets me looking at a few new guys at key positions.
I’ve said it before I didn’t believe the Packers needed to go WR early last offseason but where not taking one at all would hurt us would be down the line. I mean you aren’t going to sign MVS right? He’s way too inconsistent. You probably don’t resign ESB as his history of injuries has made him a non factor. Malik Taylor is nothing special. Lazard is pretty average but you can get by with it. Outside of that we aren’t developing anyone.

They need to get a crop of receivers in here to work on. Receivers seldom show up year one and play well. By getting two here we have two that could possibly be ready post MVS and ESB with two very different skill sets.

As for RBs that is a position that can come in and contribute. Again I thought going after two guys with two different skill sets makes the most sense. Hawkins reminds me a lot of Jones but he needs to add weight.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Jan 2021 10:18
Pugger wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

And you think he should put football before his family? That says a lot about your priorities. :nono:
The whole world is out here working. What makes him so special? Mask up and go do the job you signed a contract to do.
If the Packers organization didn't have a problem with it why should you? smh

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Jan 2021 10:24
As for RBs that is a position that can come in and contribute. Again I thought going after two guys with two different skill sets makes the most sense. Hawkins reminds me a lot of Jones but he needs to add weight.
Yes, I liked that part of it, too. Actually, I was perusing the old forum and caught that you, like me, were a big Brandon Saine fan. I wouldn't mind a pure 3rd-down type RB that comes in that catches passes and blocks but really isn't much of a runner. Also, like others, [mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] especially, I want that Deebo Samuel-type half RB-half WR. I think LaFleur will be pushing Gute to add that this offseason because there is so much fun stuff you can go with it and those guys typically don't go high because they are not typical boundary WR's.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
NCF wrote:
BF004 wrote:
I’ve said it before I didn’t believe the Packers needed to go WR early last offseason but where not taking one at all would hurt us would be down the line. I mean you aren’t going to sign MVS right? He’s way too inconsistent. You probably don’t resign ESB as his history of injuries has made him a non factor. Malik Taylor is nothing special. Lazard is pretty average but you can get by with it. Outside of that we aren’t developing anyone.

They need to get a crop of receivers in here to work on. Receivers seldom show up year one and play well. By getting two here we have two that could possibly be ready post MVS and ESB with two very different skill sets.

not everyone that is married with Kids are working, and of those that are, about 60% are doing it from home, thousands of front line workers are home now in quarantine after contacting covid, just because millions have survived the virus either not getting it or not receiving a serious effect from it doesn't matter, who knows what his future with us, but doubt Guty will hold a grudge over this.

I like the 2 WR, but disagree about Jones, we only have two impact players on offense with big contracts, Rodgers and Adams, and Jones makes this offense work, if he will take a fair offer then we should find some way to make that work.

I havn't had time to look over the other players yet.

I like Dillon and Jones in a 2 RB set, with RO and Jones as the option, he is that RB/WR type that you wanna draft, we just rarely use him that way, but whe3n we had to, we saw a excellent receiver, maybe we'll see more of that in the playoffs.

No way I'am letting Jones walk.
Last edited by Yoop on 09 Jan 2021 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pugger wrote:
09 Jan 2021 10:51
lupedafiasco wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Weird situation. Obviously he made his decision a long time ago. What was stupid, if you ask me, was not allowing these guys a way back in as new information presented itself. No one knows for sure whether he would have came back in August if he had the chance. I will also say as a UFA signing, he has never been in our locker room. He doesn't owe our guys anything like he may have felt if he had been with the team for a year, so I don't have a huge problem with how it played out. I still think he can help our team next year if they keep him around, but I suspect they just move on.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
09 Jan 2021 10:51
lupedafiasco wrote:
Pugger wrote:

The Packers don’t have a problem with it because they were forced to not have a problem with it. I am not a fan of people quitting on their teams. I didn’t like it when Cole Madison did it either. You can say what you want about it. You have a job to do. Go do it. If not you are useless IMO.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
09 Jan 2021 10:57
lupedafiasco wrote:
NCF wrote:

not everyone that is married with Kids are working, and of those that are, about 60% are doing it from home, thousands of front line workers are home now in quarantine after contacting covid, just because millions have survived the virus either not getting it or not receiving a serious effect from it doesn't matter, who knows what his future with us, but doubt Guty will hold a grudge over this.

I like the 2 WR, but disagree about Jones, we only have two impact players on offense with big contracts, Rodgers and Adams, and Jones makes this offense work, if he will take a fair offer then we should find some way to make that work.

I havn't had time to look over the other players yet.

I like Dillon and Jones in a 2 RB set, with RO and Jones as the option, he is that RB/WR type that you wanna draft, we just rarely use him that way, but whe3n we had to, we saw a excellent receiver, maybe we'll see more of that in the playoffs.

No way I'am letting Jones walk.
The problem is if you’re giving Aaron Jones a fair deal you’re giving him 15 million.

I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed except you took a back in the 2nd round last season. That player needs to start. If you’re paying someone 15 million that player needs to start. It’s a conflict. I’ll take the cheaper solution which is the 2nd round pick.

Teams have been regretting paying RBs for decades. They just don’t last.

HeavyD
Reactions:

Post by HeavyD »

My wife has a kidney transplant. If I were an NFL player, I would have thought long and hard about sitting out the season.

Casting dispersions on a man for thinking of his family first is something I just can't get my head around.

HeavyD
Reactions:

Post by HeavyD »

Thinking of Aaron Jones as a RB, thus dismissing the option of signing him simply because he is a RB misses the point of his value to the offense. He is a playmaker first, his mere presence on the field causes defenses to be stressed because he can hurt the defense from any place on the field. He is a playmaker first, a running back second. If possible, he should be resigned.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

While I don't think we have the resources to resign A Jones, just going with Dillon seems like a big a risk. What is JWill going to cost? 2 years for 4 million?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

HeavyD wrote:
09 Jan 2021 11:51
Thinking of Aaron Jones as a RB, thus dismissing the option of signing him simply because he is a RB misses the point of his value to the offense. He is a playmaker first, his mere presence on the field causes defenses to be stressed because he can hurt the defense from any place on the field. He is a playmaker first, a running back second. If possible, he should be resigned.
agreed, and we hardly use his receiving skills, and I don't know where Lupe comes up with the 15 mil. contract figures, no one knows what the FO offered, least I've seen nothing yet, always hard for me to part with production and hope some how I can replace it with a bird or two in the tree ;)

nice to see ya posting again HeavyD :aok:

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

HeavyD wrote:
09 Jan 2021 11:49
My wife has a kidney transplant. If I were an NFL player, I would have thought long and hard about sitting out the season.

Casting dispersions on a man for thinking of his family first is something I just can't get my head around.
Totally agree.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Cdragon wrote:
09 Jan 2021 11:59
While I don't think we have the resources to resign A Jones, just going with Dillon seems like a big a risk. What is JWill going to cost? 2 years for 4 million?
I thought he’d get 5 per. I could be wrong. That’s what I’m estimating.