Topic Split: Stock Market Watch

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Topic Split: Stock Market Watch

Post by paco »

I'd really like to jump in on all this stock market stuff going on, but I know zip-zero-zilch about this. The terminology makes my head spin every time I look. I've got pennies to play with, so probably not worth it anyway.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
28 Jan 2021 09:33
I'd really like to jump in on all this stock market stuff going on, but I know zip-zero-zilch about this. The terminology makes my head spin every time I look. I've got pennies to play with, so probably not worth it anyway.
I have been jumping into ETFs the last handful of years. Easier way to do things. The market is in a bubble for sure. When it will pop... If we knew that, we would be millionaires.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 09:40
paco wrote:
I have been jumping into ETFs the last handful of years. Easier way to do things. The market is in a bubble for sure. When it will pop... If we knew that, we would be millionaires.
Yah, it’s so hard to say.. I wish I knew. I get the feeling it might happen soon and have seriously been considering moving my 401k and other retirement investments to safer options. I’m not sure when to pull the trigger on that.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Gunzaan wrote:
28 Jan 2021 11:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 09:40
paco wrote:
Yah, it’s so hard to say.. I wish I knew. I get the feeling it might happen soon and have seriously been considering moving my 401k and other retirement investments to safer options. I’m not sure when to pull the trigger on that.
I thought it would have happened 3-4 months ago! Shows how much I know and I would have missed out on a lot of gains. The &%$@ part is Bonds suck right now, so that very safe option is only good if we know when to move and of course we don't. I have been considering moving to a safer option as well.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I got in on a little AMC, still holding the line there and already had some dogecoin.

Also have some chainlink which I’ve seen rumblings starting on Twitter, but haven’t seen the price change yet.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Also some Bush league stuff from big tech; big media, big gov Wall Street. Peoples heads gunna roll here.

And as I said, I got money in AMC, total and complete utter &%$@ they are trying to restrict buying.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I bit and installed Public and will throw $100 at something. They are still open to buy on some of those others are limiting including AMC. Will see what's still available by the time my money is deposited.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yep, absolutely ridiculous. Heads better roll.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Bunch of companies caved and opened up AMC trading. Can damn near watch it grow in real time right now! :banana: :banana: :banana:

This is the craziest damn thing I’ve ever seen.

Price is swinging from like 8 to 12 in back within a few minutes, this is getting tugged at by so many directions.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
28 Jan 2021 13:59
I bit and installed Public and will throw $100 at something. They are still open to buy on some of those others are limiting including AMC. Will see what's still available by the time my money is deposited.
AMC and GME and the rest been open all day thankfully, with fidelity.

Think I just saw ameritrade caved and restricted right after about 10 other places caved the other way and unrestricted.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
28 Jan 2021 13:59
I’d recommend AMC at this point, follow #ToTheMoon on Twitter and see what has the most energy.

After dogecoin, probably AMC right now. Although dogecoin isn’t backed by anything. Only people standing to lose there are your everyday person who doesn’t sell before that crashes. Getting a stock like AMC is taking basically right from corrupt market manipulators and speculators.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Thoughts on legality of Short selling, since we are on the subject.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

A lot of talk about Nokia as well. Thought about tossing a few bucks there and watching it.

Hell, I've spent $100 on a lot worse stuff. It'll be entertaining to just watch this even if I lose it.
RIP JustJeff

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 14:22
Shorting is fine, it's the naked shorting (happens mostly on OTC's) that needs to stop IMO.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Personally, I don't think short selling should exist as it does not match the purpose of what stocks and the market are meant to be. It's a practice that sees gains or losses off of nothing substantial. It's making money off a middle man and nothing more.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

What about stopping short?

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 15:08
Based upon my admittedly basic understanding, I think shorting can be a good thing if used as intended. It's a balance tool investors can use against a company who is over-valuing their own stock in an effort to gain...whatever. It's basically calling the bluff of a company you think is trying to convince you they're worth more than what they are.

Where shorting becomes a bad thing is like in the case of Olive Garden. Starboard Value, a hedge fund investor, overtly and publicly made claims and criticisms to intentionally tank the stock they had shorted. It worked and the Darden Foods parent company was eventually forced to replace all their board members with Starboard Value representatives. A takeover, essentially. That's garbage.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Serious question, because I do not know, how does it call the bluff of the company who is over-valuing their own stock? How does it affect it in any way? Shouldn't that exact situation be happening right now with Gamestop and AMC? Instead the stocks are being over valued inspite of the short selling. Wouldn't shorting be artificially be creating more supply than demand?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 16:09
Serious question, because I do not know, how does it call the bluff of the company who is over-valuing their own stock? How does it affect it in any way? Shouldn't that exact situation be happening right now with Gamestop and AMC? Instead the stocks are being over valued inspite of the short selling.
It's in the way the investor obtains ownership of the stock. An investor essentially borrows stock from a stock owner with the promise to return it at a later date. The borrower then sells the stock at that days value with the expectation of that stock decreasing in the near future. If it does, the borrower then purchases the stock at a lower rate, gives it back to the original owner and pockets the difference.

I can't fill in all the details, but there are means by which the borrower can manipulate the stock value either ethically or not. If the short stocking borrower can show through balance sheet analysis (or however) that the stock is over-valued, the stock drops and he makes money. In the case of GameStop, the big hedge funders were attempting to manipulate the stock value through continual short stock purchases and it's coming back to bite them in the ass. Rightly so.

I posted this video in the Round Table discussion because I thought it was informative and direct, a layman's version of what is happening, if you will. It's 30 min long, though, so be prepared for that. The GameStop specific stuff starts around the 10:00 mark.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ya, to this day I don't get the borrowing process and the legality there.

Then as you said, these Hedge fund managers were trying to manipulated AMC and Gamestop stock by selling short. So they sell short to lower the price and make money. How is that type of manipulation legal? If you have enough money you sell short enough shares to all but guarantee a stock drop.

In this case with AMC and Gamestop it didn't work, for now. People aren't going to be propping them up forever.