Topic Split: Stock Market Watch

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
29 Jan 2021 08:41
I'll probably sit back and watch what things do and what the chatter is. Don't need to pull out too early. But if it spikes significantly, I may pull some out, and like you said, play with house money.

The app I'm using doesn't seem to support buying crypto. Might need to open a Fidelity account for that. Hard to see anything right now as my app is completely down.
I mainly use Coinbase, it’s good and bad. Everything on there is a ‘safe’ coin, no sketchy ones. But was frustrating you can’t get like dogecoin there at the same time.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

image.png
image.png (82.91 KiB) Viewed 587 times

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Nice! Hell you could put a sell order in at some absurd price like $405 from Gamestop and make a $%@# killing!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Seems things are slipping a bit as the afternoon goes on (AMC and Nokia anyway). AMC still up about 43% from when I bought yesterday though was nearing 70%. Nokia down a little, but I don't think people are hitting that near as hard.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
29 Jan 2021 12:45
Seems things are slipping a bit as the afternoon goes on (AMC and Nokia anyway). AMC still up about 43% from when I bought yesterday though was nearing 70%. Nokia down a little, but I don't think people are hitting that near as hard.
There is a huge lot of $9 calls, hedge funds are going to try to crash the price to at least there to make them worthless, that would be a big win for them.

If they aren't exercised today, the owners of those can buy a ton more stock driving up the price before calling those $9 options (the part where the short sellers need to buy current market price of the stock and sell them for $9)

So $9 is a big number, hopefully it doesn't get that far down. If it never drops below 9, price gunna explode after hours trading, going to open up really high on Monday.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

At $12.90 now, so looking good.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I am seriously considering opening an account with someone and investing a couple hundred of my fantasy winnings just to help push this along...

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
29 Jan 2021 14:11
I am seriously considering opening an account with someone and investing a couple hundred of my fantasy winnings just to help push this along...
I would get in on AMC before close, it’s going to open a lot higher on Monday.

And I’d hurry, just jumped like 20% last hour

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Found out a co-worker's mom made 10k on gamestop and got out. That's a pretty aware old lady (probably 70's-80). Really wishing I had the wherewithal and gotten up the nerve to jump in early.
RIP JustJeff

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

APB wrote:
28 Jan 2021 18:04
Captain_Ben wrote:
28 Jan 2021 14:55
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 14:22
Thoughts on legality of Short selling, since we are on the subject.
Shorting is fine, it's the naked shorting (happens mostly on OTC's) that needs to stop IMO.
Can you expound on this for us investing novices?
Legal short selling involves the borrowing of shares that are legitimate and part of the float for the purpose of selling them and buying them back at (hopefully) a lower price in the future. When the short seller initially sells the shares, they are delivered to the buyer, the buyer takes possession of the shares, and the short seller is given cash. When the short seller decides to buy back the shares, he pays a seller, receives the shares, and delivers them back to the broker from whom he borrowed them.

Naked short selling involves selling shares without borrowing them. It's a tactic used by mostly money managers whose liquidity is significant enough that they can "make markets." It happens a lot on the OTC's with penny stocks. Money managers have a way of shorting these (mostly rinky-dink) stocks without first borrowing the shares from a broker. The effect that this has is that the market becomes flooded with these "phantom shares," driving down the SP. One of the criminal aspects of this practice is that the unsuspecting investor who is buying these "phantom shares", thinks he is getting real shares, and ends up not even owning the stock.

If you have 10 minutes, Patrick Byrne (Overstock CEO) provides a good background and synopsis. He has been a leader in this fight for some time and was at the center of a lawsuit with Goldman Sachs a few years back.

GME and AMC have been in the spotlight this week but I have a gut feeling that a more pervasive change is happening. The OTC's have been on fire for the past ~6 months. Might it have something to do with lawsuits like this one pushing NSS into the public eye? https://www.openpr.com/news/2051517/bil ... o-be-filed

On a personal note, GNCP is a ticker that I have held for over 10 years and one which I am all but certain has been a continual victim of NSS. It appears to have experienced a short squeeze of its own last week, which I do not believe was coincidental. The short squeezes are happening with more frequency and IMO, the NSS's are getting spooked.

I just hope and pray that the proverbial cat is out of the bag and that these crooks get shown up for the world to see. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if there was a small biotech with a cancer cure that was killed off by these shorting bastards.
Last edited by Captain_Ben on 30 Jan 2021 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Word is the reddit crew is eyeing Silver as their next "Gamestop."

Was already pretty bullish on silver, but hearing this only makes me like it more.

Anyone recommend a good silver miner?

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Nothing but index funds for me, besides the individual stocks I buy with my students on a stock market GAME.

The market will correct it's self. Most those who made a lot of money will see another meme and purchase that stock only to lose it all.

Good for those who made money though...just be sure to keep it and remember you'll be paying short term capital gains taxes.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Captain_Ben wrote:
30 Jan 2021 18:33

Was already pretty bullish on silver, but hearing this only makes me like it more.

I have heard (not on the Reddit board) that SLV, the iShares silver ticker, is what would be gone after.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Captain_Ben wrote:

I've been accumulating more and more metal over the years, I just typically go to the local card and coin, if I get something pricier like an oz gold coin, I call ahead and see if they have any or if they can get one and at what price.

Not sure what kind of bulk you are talking about, but I've heard good things about JM Bullion.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
30 Jan 2021 21:21
Captain_Ben wrote:

I have heard (not on the Reddit board) that SLV, the iShares silver ticker, is what would be gone after.
Sure we are not talking about Silver Lake, the fund that just cashed out on AMC for 730 million? lol

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Learned today...

The "circle back" lady pretending to be WH press secretary, is married to Greg Melcher a finance official for the Dem Congressional Campaign Cmte. IIRC also related to Peter Strock.

And her brother is a big wig at Citadel, Robinhood's largest client.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

So not sure what to do. Anyone in on the plan, re silver? Buy physical silver coins or bars? AG? SLV? PSLV?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

wallyuwl wrote:
31 Jan 2021 20:07
So not sure what to do. Anyone in on the plan, re silver? Buy physical silver coins or bars? AG? SLV? PSLV?

Definite Tarp, distraction, keep those glass hands and hodl!

$GME, $NOK, $AMC, buy and hold.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yeah, I found out Citadel is in SLV since my last post.

My plan right now is to buy some of AG, physical silver or PSLV, and maybe some AMC. Not sure about AMC having another run in it or not.

Learning quickly here. SLV and SIVR are worthless paper, but PSLV are contracts that need to be delivered with actual silver. That is how to squeeze this... Buy up those contracts so there isn't enough physical silver to be delivered. Or just buy physical silver while still available.

Edit... Just ordered Twenty 1 oz coins from Majestic (stock ticker AG). I wanted to buy an additional 5 oz bar but they sold out minutes before I placed my order. Will buy $1100 or so of their stock tomorrow morning once my transfer goes through to fund my Ally brokerage account. Using the "stimulus" payment we just received, wife doesn't want to invest any more than that. Silver is sold out almost everywhere online. Money Metals suspended selling until tomorrow mid-morning (whatever that means).

A good short post...

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (192.11 KiB) Viewed 443 times