Topic Split: Stock Market Watch

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

[mention]BF004[/mention] you keep everything on an exchange? Paper wallet? Hardware?

I'm seriously considering moving my large amount tokens/coins off onto a hardware at this point.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
17 Feb 2021 14:20
@BF004 you keep everything on an exchange? Paper wallet? Hardware?

I'm seriously considering moving my large amount tokens/coins off onto a hardware at this point.
All on Coinbase and a little on Robinhood, that I’m trying to get out of after their gme and amc shenanigans.

Coinbase offers their own wallet, don’t use it, I haven’t seen a good reason to ever change to anything else. Perhaps you could explain to me why I might want to.

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

We're in the 2005 housing market 1999 tech mania level of speculative delusion unleased by central bank responses to COVID. You can earn money riding the waves but don't get caught standing when the music stops.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Willink wrote:
17 Feb 2021 16:34
We're in the 2005 housing market 1999 tech mania level of speculative delusion unleased by central bank responses to COVID. You can earn money riding the waves but don't get caught standing when the music stops.
If I keep hitting 20-30% returns annually for 3 more years, I’ll be fine with a 20% hit then. 😝

I personally have more in metals than I do in non-401K stocks and crypto. I’m always ready for a recession. 😛

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

The AMC "news" this morning was a French translation of a speculative piece written last May.

That's pretty funny.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
18 Feb 2021 10:35
The AMC "news" this morning was a French translation of a speculative piece written last May.

That's pretty funny.
What does this mean? I don't get it. :idn:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It means investors were pouring money into AMC over a year old rumor that was revived without any new information. Good for people who already have money in AMC and wanted to get out, bad for those investors who put money in on a false rumor today.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 18 Feb 2021 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

wallyuwl wrote:
18 Feb 2021 11:31
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
18 Feb 2021 10:35

That's pretty funny.
What does this mean? I don't get it. :idn:
The French version of Forbes printed an article this morning about Amazon and AMC. It was written in English last May as a piece of speculation.

In other words, the editor at the French Forbes needed cheap and easy content that would generate clicks, so they translated a piece of old speculation. Readers didn't notice that it was old. This is turn drove AMC to spike in pre open today. It has since given back most of the morning gains.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
17 Feb 2021 15:59
TheGreenMan wrote:
17 Feb 2021 14:20
@BF004 you keep everything on an exchange? Paper wallet? Hardware?

All on Coinbase and a little on Robinhood, that I’m trying to get out of after their gme and amc shenanigans.

Coinbase offers their own wallet, don’t use it, I haven’t seen a good reason to ever change to anything else. Perhaps you could explain to me why I might want to.
Honestly, some of the stories I hear about delays when withdrawing/cashing out. Whether I think these people are trying to do something shady or not, and that's why they're not allowing withdraws, it still make me think exactly what most people keep saying: "If they're not in your wallet, they're not yours."

Rare occasions that it happens, there has been some security breaches/concerns with some active exchanges. Coinbase does cold storage for most of the assets, but other exchanges do not.

One of the biggest things for me though, if something were to happen to me - does my wife have no problems getting/cashing out on some of these exchanges? That, I don't know. Would certainly need to be included in a will.

As bigger guys are getting in, I'm seeing my assets increase. Maybe I just want that piece of mind of having control over exactly what I own. You can argue that the stock market has everything I own too, but something about this "new" transition into a world where crypto is going "mainstream". Who knows what can happen at this point.
RIP JustJeff

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

What are all your theories as to why gold is not way up right now?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
18 Feb 2021 12:30
Promises of better returns elsewhere? :idn:

So many fun places to throw money right now, I think people are looking for something that is likely to move more.

I’m certainly not looking to increase my metal supply at the moment.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Captain_Ben wrote:
Fun fact. In 1913 and before the USD was indexed to gold where 1 dollar = 1/35 oz gold. That is a price of $35 USD per ounce gold. Now, compare that to the price of gold today and it tells you how much of a fraud this fiat currency/inflation racquet is.

An even funner (yes, funner) fact: the USD actually had slightly LESS buying power in the early to mid 1800s than 1913. Thought it was always fairly stable prior to 1913.

End the Fed. NESARA now.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
18 Feb 2021 12:51

I'm just wondering when the silver I ordered 1/31 from First Majestic will actually ship. They charged me on the order date.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

"First off, it doesn't have to have any intrinsic value. A currency only has value because we, as a society, decide that it does."

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25255957

We as a society only give gold and silver a value because we decide it has value.

It actually holds much more value in industrial applications.

Say there is a worldwide collapse of society, gold and silver hold little pre-industrial applications other than currency. Without society, currency is meaningless and bartering is king.

It is interesting when the paper dollar is railed against, but gold itself isn't. Gold is a symbol just as modern currency is.

So why is gold lagging compared to silver? Because investors think it should.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Feb 2021 11:39
It means investors were pouring money into AMC over a year old rumor that was revived without any new information. Good for people who already have money in AMC and wanted to get out, bad for those investors who put money in on a false rumor today.
It spiked in pretrading hours, that isn’t meme stonk people in there. Those are institutions who knew that wasn’t so. Something else must have spiked it.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Not that it matters. Didn't spike that high or stay there. Finished down another 1.17% on the day.
RIP JustJeff

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

wallyuwl wrote:
18 Feb 2021 13:34
Captain_Ben wrote:
Fun fact. In 1913 and before the USD was indexed to gold where 1 dollar = 1/35 oz gold. That is a price of $35 USD per ounce gold. Now, compare that to the price of gold today and it tells you how much of a fraud this fiat currency/inflation racquet is.

An even funner (yes, funner) fact: the USD actually had slightly LESS buying power in the early to mid 1800s than 1913. Thought it was always fairly stable prior to 1913.

End the Fed. NESARA now.
Wow I did not know that about the dollar in the 1800's and would never have guessed it to be true.
Ending the Fed is romantic to think about but man I just don't see how that could ever happen. I would settle for an audit of the Fed, but even that is about as likely as Trump hooking up with Rosie O'donnell.

Ultimately, it is just a really &%$@ feeling knowing that being in dollars basically makes you a sucker at this point. My equities and crypto-related trades and investments have done better over the past ~6 months than probably anytime ever, but I feel like it's just damage control for the tidal wave of inflation (possibly stagflation) that is coming.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
18 Feb 2021 12:51
Captain_Ben wrote:
Promises of better returns elsewhere? :idn:

So many fun places to throw money right now, I think people are looking for something that is likely to move more.

That's the crazy thing- seems like almost nothing is "down" right now, except for bonds. And given the economic fundamentals, the one thing that historically should be waaaay up, gold, has been consolidating for like 8 months!

You could blindfold a monkey and have it pick assets by throwing darts and still gain. I'm just wondering what the ultimate outcome will be.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »