Firearms Discussion

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Firearms Discussion

Post by wallyuwl »

Looking to buy my first gun. Going 9mm medium to full size for now. The problem is with the ammo shortage only one area place is doing rentals, and with the gun shortage their rentals are different than the ones for sale.

I have been looking at a Canik TP9SFX full size or Rugger mid size. This one the wife likes and I would shoot it until I decided on mine. I liked the feel of a Shadow Systems MR920 in my hand, (better version of a Glock 19 clone) but it is light so not sure how it would shoot (recoil).

For now I am buying everything but gun(s). Got 120 or so rounds of full brass jacket ammo and 50 of hollow point. Need hearing protection and a case for home (and maybe travel).

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

I’m in the market for a new pistol. I’m not sure what I want to get. The 9mm we have now has a very uncomfortable grip.

I’m also being gifted 3 shotguns, which are always a blast to shoot.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Gunzaan wrote:
23 Mar 2021 12:07
I’m in the market for a new pistol. I’m not sure what I want to get. The 9mm we have now has a very uncomfortable grip.
I've learned a lot the past three or four weeks. Might pull the trigger (ha!) tonight on one. I'm mostly looking at the Shadow Systems DR920 or the F&N 509. I like both. It seems the 509 is overall better, but to me it is a little slippery and I'm not crazy about the trigger (it can be replaced with an Apex one that people seem to really like for $150 but I'd want a gunsmith to install it as well and that costs more). The Ruger 57 is still in the running as is the Canik. Have to see what the wife likes, since if there is one we both like I'd rather get one than two. Right now the accessories are basically the cost of another gun: case/safe, hearing protection, ammo, etc.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Well it is down to two.

Canik TP9 Combat Elite. $780ish. Made in Turkey, headquarters in Vermont.

https://www.canikusa.com/tp9-elite-combat

FN 509 Tactical. $950. I like it a lot except the trigger isn't very good and aftermarket is another $150 plus install. Made in South Carolina but headquarters is right next to DC in northern VA.

https://fnamerica.com/products/pistols/fn-509-tactical/

The wife likes the Canik but the grip is a little short for me. But she feels like she is reaching for trigger on the 509, but a new trigger should fix that. 509 has a better RMR mounting system, but the TP9 is good, too. TP9 has a much better factory trigger, not even close. Sights are a lot better on 509.

Oh decisions.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

thats a lot to spend on a first pistol, course your probably very rich lol and can afford lots of pistola's :lol:

I can't believe how much ammo has jumped in the last couple years, when I shot a lot I'd buy over the internet from Bulk ammo supplys, think there hqts is arizona, anyway I'd buy 500 rounds or more at a time, kept the price to about .20 cents a round, I just looked and all they sell is 50 round boxes for about 40 bucks a box.

I own a couple Springfield 1911's, a target TRP 45 acp and a 4" barrel EMP for concealed carry in 9 mil., love em both, but don't shoot as much any more.

My daughter bought a SW MP 2.0 9 mil a couple years ago, and it is a sweat shooter, very accurate, under 500 bucks

heres a link to some very good 9 mil auto loaders

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-han ... e-defense/

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yoop wrote:
25 Mar 2021 16:23
thats a lot to spend on a first pistol, course your probably very rich lol and can afford lots of pistola's :lol:
Well, I am spending the "stimulus" money partly on the gun (including ammo, hearing protection, safe, etc) and partly on silver. Some tuition and some savings. The wife likes these two, too, so I figure better to buy one nice one than two less nice ones (and still cheaper).
I can't believe how much ammo has jumped in the last couple years, when I shot a lot I'd buy over the internet from Bulk ammo supplys, think there hqts is arizona, anyway I'd buy 500 rounds or more at a time, kept the price to about .20 cents a round, I just looked and all they sell is 50 round boxes for about 40 bucks a box.
I bought some 9mm even though haven't bought a gun yet. $26 for 25 rounds of Hornaday 147 grain hollow point (got 50 rounds), and got a box of 50 for $52 Sig Sauer. 150 rounds (3 boxes) of Turan FMJ 115 grain at $28 per box. Had to get from three different places and make multiple trips because of daily purchase limits. All are sold out now until April 15.
My daughter bought a SW MP 2.0 9 mil a couple years ago, and it is a sweat shooter, very accurate, under 500 bucks
Looked at the SW, hated the trigger. Looking for really good internals, too, and that comes at a price. Unlike trucks lately, I will keep this a while.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Ended up getting the Canik TP9 Combat Elite. $749 at Scheels, got another $75 off by opening a card and putting the purchase on it. Another local gun shop had it for $760. The Salient Arms barrel in it alone is $300. I plan to put suppressor height night sights on it for about $150.

The FN 509 Tactical was just too expensive by the time the needed aftermarket parts were added.

Just waiting for background check to come back.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
28 Mar 2021 21:40
Ended up getting the Canik TP9 Combat Elite. $749 at Scheels, got another $75 off by opening a card and putting the purchase on it. Another local gun shop had it for $760. The Salient Arms barrel in it alone is $300. I plan to put suppressor height night sights on it for about $150.

The FN 509 Tactical was just too expensive by the time the needed aftermarket parts were added.

Just waiting for background check to come back.

I've been waiting to congrats ya till ya actually popped some brass, but you didn't follow up after the back ground check with a new post.

lot to like for the money, match grade Barrel, adjustable back strap, cerakote/nitrade slide and frame will make it so much easier to clean and keep looking like new, plus a 5 inch barrel lengthens the sight radius which automatically improves accuracy, I could do without the red safety trigger release, I'd get some black enamel on that real quick :lol: I think you'll love this pistol :aok:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yoop wrote:
08 Apr 2021 08:41

I've been waiting to congrats ya till ya actually popped some brass, but you didn't follow up after the back ground check with a new post.

lot to like for the money, match grade Barrel, adjustable back strap, cerakote/nitrade slide and frame will make it so much easier to clean and keep looking like new, plus a 5 inch barrel lengthens the sight radius which automatically improves accuracy, I could do without the red safety trigger release, I'd get some black enamel on that real quick :lol: I think you'll love this pistol :aok:
Going to put the smaller backstrap on it and replace the red fiber optic sight with the green one they supply. Eventually I will get suppressor height night sights on it, only about $120. The trigger on the thing is awesome for a stock trigger, that is the main reason I bought it. To make the 509 Tactical how I would want it, it would be a lot more work and make it about a $1300 pistol. That was just too expensive.

Haven't shot it yet. Have some ammo, though. 100 rounds hollow point and about 220 full metal jacket. Probably going to buy more next week once the local store gets some more in on the 15th.

Going this afternoon to look at pistol safes. It is still in the garage at the moment. Will probably shoot it for the first time in May or June up north.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
08 Apr 2021 13:21
Yoop wrote:
08 Apr 2021 08:41

Going to put the smaller backstrap on it and replace the red fiber optic sight with the green one they supply. Eventually I will get suppressor height night sights on it, only about $120. The trigger on the thing is awesome for a stock trigger, that is the main reason I bought it. To make the 509 Tactical how I would want it, it would be a lot more work and make it about a $1300 pistol. That was just too expensive.

Haven't shot it yet. Have some ammo, though. 100 rounds hollow point and about 220 full metal jacket. Probably going to buy more next week once the local store gets some more in on the 15th.

Going this afternoon to look at pistol safes. It is still in the garage at the moment. Will probably shoot it for the first time in May or June up north.
I have a touch open sentry safe in my bedstand for my emp paid less then a 100 for, problem is the little hydraulic ram weakens and I have to replace it once every year or so, simple to do and I bought a pack of 3 for about 10 bucks, I like that with just pushing 4 buttons the lid pops up and I'am ready to go.

just a tip (since you dont have adjustable sights) I'd stick with the same grain ammo for both FMJ and hollow points, and I've found the 124 grain shoots the most consistent groups, 115 might shoot a few MPH faster, but the groups are just not as tight.

why the silencer? big bucks, I get that there all the rage these days, imo I see no use for one unless ya plan to become a paid for hire hitter :lol: what I would suggest is a quality set of earmuffs, I have the electronic Howards, there about 50 bucks, nice ya can carry on a conversation without taking them off, yet they muffle up as soon as you pull the trigger.

I havn't shot mine in a while, time to take a ride and do some plinking :)

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yoop wrote:
08 Apr 2021 15:31

I have a touch open sentry safe in my bedstand for my emp paid less then a 100 for, problem is the little hydraulic ram weakens and I have to replace it once every year or so, simple to do and I bought a pack of 3 for about 10 bucks, I like that with just pushing 4 buttons the lid pops up and I'am ready to go.
Well, going to look for a safe was a bust. There is a store in Neenah that only sells safes, but I drove by and they were locked up. Tried calling a few times the last few days and never an answer but got voicemail. Not sure what the deal is. Guess I'll have to order online.
just a tip (since you dont have adjustable sights) I'd stick with the same grain ammo for both FMJ and hollow points, and I've found the 124 grain shoots the most consistent groups, 115 might shoot a few MPH faster, but the groups are just not as tight.
I have 147 gr hollow point and 115 FMJ. That is all I've been able to get my hands on, so I bought what was available. I would like to try 124, though.
why the silencer? big bucks, I get that there all the rage these days, imo I see no use for one unless ya plan to become a paid for hire hitter :lol: what I would suggest is a quality set of earmuffs, I have the electronic Howards, there about 50 bucks, nice ya can carry on a conversation without taking them off, yet they muffle up as soon as you pull the trigger.

No plans for a silencer, I just like the suppressor height sights. I might get a red dot with just a front suppressor height sight (you lose the rear sight on this gun if you add a red dot). I have some Walker Razor Pro ear muffs. Got them for $36 each online (one for me and one for the wife), they sell for $60 at Scheels. Going to also wear some foam ear plugs in addition to the Walkers. My hearing is already going, so extra protection.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

wallyuwl wrote:
08 Apr 2021 18:08
Yoop wrote:
08 Apr 2021 15:31

Well, going to look for a safe was a bust. There is a store in Neenah that only sells safes, but I drove by and they were locked up. Tried calling a few times the last few days and never an answer but got voicemail. Not sure what the deal is. Guess I'll have to order online.
I have 147 gr hollow point and 115 FMJ. That is all I've been able to get my hands on, so I bought what was available. I would like to try 124, though.

No plans for a silencer, I just like the suppressor height sights. I might get a red dot with just a front suppressor height sight (you lose the rear sight on this gun if you add a red dot). I have some Walker Razor Pro ear muffs. Got them for $36 each online (one for me and one for the wife), they sell for $60 at Scheels. Going to also wear some foam ear plugs in addition to the Walkers. My hearing is already going, so extra protection.
So, have you shot it yet? I would hope so by now.

I'm looking for a new CC weapon. I have been carrying a Ruger .380 for the last 2 years and I now feel it's a little small. So I'm looking for a new subcompact .40. Our other pistols are .40's so it has more to do with one type of ammo over anything else. Plus he .40 is a touch bigger than a 9mm. I like my wife's Springfield .40 with a 3.3 barrel, but I won't steal it from her for my carry weapon. She actually uses a Taurus .380 for her carry, the .40 stays home with the kid when we leave. Well, in the safe. She knows where it is if she needs it.

I have a full-sized Springfield XD but it's way too big to carry.