Video Game Thread

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Thinking about getting back into Elite Dangerous again.
RIP JustJeff

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

I’m totally just curious but has anyone gotten a next gen system? (PS5 or Xbox Series X)

I have a PS5 and will get a Series X when demand goes down. I haven’t had an Xbox since the 360 but with all the studios they have purchased, I’ll eventually need one.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Didn't think you could do football well on a mobile, but this one is hella fun. The free version is all you need, but full version costs just 1.2€ and I'd love to see a sequel.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Mar 2021 00:13
Didn't think you could do football well on a mobile, but this one is hella fun. The free version is all you need, but full version costs just 1.2€ and I'd love to see a sequel.

I played that one a while back. May have to download it again.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah, I tried that, was fun for a bit.

Hint, go all out getting a QB with throw power and a 2 WRs with speed. Only 3 things you really need, everything else is gravy.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

BF004 wrote:
25 Mar 2021 08:56

Hint, go all out getting a QB with throw power and a 2 WRs with speed. Only 3 things you really need, everything else is gravy.
LOL, it's so retro that the exploit of every old sports game - speed is OP - works here too. May have to build a power only team to make it challenging.

I love that whiffing on tackles makes a "whif" -sound. :lol:

I hope they make a sequel with a higher difficulty.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If there isn't a Bo Jackson-esque or Ironhead Hayward type player I am out! ;)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Mar 2021 09:12
BF004 wrote:

LOL, it's so retro that the exploit of every old sports game - speed is OP - works here too. May have to build a power only team to make it challenging.

Wish I could just sim the games and just hurry up and get to FA and the draft. That's how I played Madden, lol, sim to week 17, walk away for an hour, come back, check out the playoffs, go do all the fun offseason stuff, sim to week 17. :lol:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
25 Mar 2021 09:19
salmar80 wrote:
25 Mar 2021 09:12
BF004 wrote:

Wish I could just sim the games and just hurry up and get to FA and the draft. That's how I played Madden, lol, sim to week 17, walk away for an hour, come back, check out the playoffs, go do all the fun offseason stuff, sim to week 17. :lol:
Someone (Not EA) needs to make a good GM/Head Coach game. They made one once and it had the start of something decent. I'm the same way and usually want to get to the draft. I'd love a game centered more around the building of the team than playing. Or put in an actual good mode in Madden where you play the Owner/GM. What they've had to date sucks.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah, that EA monopoly on NFL games killed the market, I mean Madden is okay and popular, but when you have zero competition to get better for like 15 years now, innovation and quality gunna plummet. Goes for all things in life, competition breeds excellence and innovation. ;)

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
25 Mar 2021 09:58
Yeah, that EA monopoly on NFL games killed the market, I mean Madden is okay and popular, but when you have zero competition to get better for like 15 years now, innovation and quality gunna plummet. Goes for all things in life, competition breeds excellence and innovation. ;)
Sega used to have somewhat competitive sports games that competed with EA. That was a long time ago.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

wallyuwl wrote:
25 Mar 2021 13:03
BF004 wrote:
Sega used to have somewhat competitive sports games that competed with EA. That was a long time ago.
I never liked any of the other games. Was always a Madden guy, but I guess the point was some did like them and it made Madden strive to be the best. I haven't played a new one since XBOX days.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
25 Mar 2021 13:07
wallyuwl wrote:
25 Mar 2021 13:03
BF004 wrote:
I never liked any of the other games. Was always a Madden guy, but I guess the point was some did like them and it made Madden strive to be the best. I haven't played a new one since XBOX days.
I've got a version or 2 for my Xbox 360. Meh. Always prefer the PC. I got Madden 20 for the PC and woof. Most of it is straight garbage. Normal gameplay is fine. So if you want to play head to head with someone it should be fun enough. But the rest is crap. They need competition again, but they won't let that NFL license go and people keep buying it.
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
25 Mar 2021 14:23
I've got a version or 2 for my Xbox 360.
I miss it already. :cry: :lol:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I finally bought the pgatour2k21 game. It is fun but there is some stuff that negatively surprised me.

The Golf Club was an independent golf game that gained attention for its quality game play. People would design their courses and post them online. You created a golfer and he got better and you spent points.

I now see The Golf Club has joined forces with 2k and pga tour and the game play of the game is the exact as The Golf Club. The announcers are a slight upgrade from that game, as in golf club it was just a generic boring bot with a few prescripted statements.

Now you get a season of real pga tour events, some real pga tour courses, some real licensed clubs and gear...so nice additions...but:

They show all the tour guys on the cover of the game but you cant just play a round as them! You only see them when you play tournaments on the leaderboard or when the game cuts to watching them take a shot. That was kind of lame.

Its a fun game, but there are things it wont let you do that i expected to be able to do.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Humankind

Finally a challenger to the Civilization series of epic strategy games that lets you see what happens if there was just you leading your tribe from the Neolithic age to space.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

BF004 wrote:
Same deal with Star Wars games.

Disney is the king of flooding the zone with licensed toys and other products and Star Wars is the most lucrative franchise. There are no Star Wars games on "checks notes" the primary video game system for kids (Nintendo) due to EA.

Sure there are a couple Lego Star Wars games, but that's it. Disney Infinity had some content (not sure how they got around the EA license), but that was on WiiU.

Its a shame the Rogue Squadron series had to die because of EA, they were some of the best Star Wars games ever made.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

salmar80 wrote:
21 Aug 2021 15:23
Humankind

Finally a challenger to the Civilization series of epic strategy games that lets you see what happens if there was just you leading your tribe from the Neolithic age to space.
I'll probably get it and play it here at some point, but it seems like it could use a few updates and some tuning first.

I'm currently playing another challenger, Age of Wonders Planetfall. Its more of a Alpha Centauri competitor. As 4k turn based strategy games go, its pretty good at not getting tedious. Though there's almost nothing in the way of terraforming.

I tried Old World but just couldn't get into it. I didn't care for the global move points mechanic and everything was really stagnant. I could play for an hour and accomplish nothing. Even late game domination Civ you at least accomplish things despite the extreme tedium (I rarely go for domination wins, especially on anything but small maps).

I've read rumors that they are working on Civ VII.
Last edited by Waldo on 31 Aug 2021 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Going to be a busy October with AoE4 and BF2042!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Ok, so I've been thinking that I might be able to play Madden again. I've played it since 95 or at least 98, what do you think? 1 hand lemme play video games again?
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....