General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
23 Mar 2021 09:23
Who?

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
23 Mar 2021 10:01
BF004 wrote:
23 Mar 2021 09:23
Who?
I don't know, but Ken Ingalls had either liked it or retweeted it, so I thought it was credible.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

now confirmed through other sources.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2021 08:40
Scott4Pack wrote:
23 Mar 2021 08:37
Seriously, I am frustrated with King as much as the next guy. The guy is physically good, combined with occasional lapses of any thinking ability. But he is usable. I'm more concerned that we need depth at CB and that hasn't happened yet. But then, the first week of real FA action is in the books. We wouldn't expect to sign depth at this point.
No way. We need to sign a starter and draft depth. No need wasting a roster spot and money on veteran depth.

But like I said, at this point the "starter" we sign may be the starting nickel defender, upgrading on Sullivan, while letting Jackson and Hollman and a draft pick vie for the outside spot.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I don't mind the idea of keeping the band together for a 2021 run. The only piece we really lost Linsley. Add a draft piece at guard or center and that can be dealt with. For a team that was right there last year, it's not a horrible strategy, especially considering the resources.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Absolutely--keeping the team together as much as we can afford and looking for inexpensive ways to sprinkle in upgrades, counting on development of young guys who haven't had many reps (AJ Dillon, Deguara, Martin, Barnes, Keke, Jackson, etc), and drafting for depth and STs is the absolute right approach to an offseason for a very good team with a window wide open...

it's the "inexpensive ways to sprinkle in upgrades" part that people are consternated about at the moment; but the "inexpensive" market is still open, so hopefully we see some sort of movement

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean if we are being honest with ourselves, the formula for the 2021 is the following:

1. Stay at the level you are on offense (could see even a little bit of a drop and be okay)
2. Get production out of the Smiths and Gary to where they should capable of performing.

Those two things happen....we are a legit football team. I mean legit. Those three players were by far the biggest disappointment in 2020. Preston obviously dropped significantly but Z did too. Gary did decent with his snaps but his production needs to be much higher this year. He still got a lot of passes because he's young and didn't play as much.

If we see an in-between year for Z and P (meaning they are better than 2020 but not to the god-level of 2019) and see the expected growth from Gary....the Packers are going to be the favorites in the NFC.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
25 Mar 2021 09:52
I mean if we are being honest with ourselves, the formula for the 2021 is the following:

1. Stay at the level you are on offense (could see even a little bit of a drop and be okay)
2. Get production out of the Smiths and Gary to where they should capable of performing.

Those two things happen....we are a legit football team. I mean legit. Those three players were by far the biggest disappointment in 2020. Preston obviously dropped significantly but Z did too. Gary did decent with his snaps but his production needs to be much higher this year. He still got a lot of passes because he's young and didn't play as much.

If we see an in-between year for Z and P (meaning they are better than 2020 but not to the god-level of 2019) and see the expected growth from Gary....the Packers are going to be the favorites in the NFC.
Yes, BUT...

We also can say that the formula for 2021 is getting better play our of our non-Jaire CB positions, as well. And getting better play out of our non-Clark iDL, as well. And getting better play out of our non-Adams WRs, as well.

You're not wrong. But that formula had room to change a bit had we added someone better than King or had JJ Watt taken a discount to come home and may still be on the table if, say, Snacks comes back for a full year in the program or we sign a heady nickel CB to add to the mix.

The formula is mostly continuity and get better play from guys who are on the roster and capable of playing better. But helping to get that better play through competition (be it new players or advanced development on young guys) is also a key component.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Okay. Now Gute has fell off his rocker. We are paying everybody twice!!!! :shock: :shock: ;) ;) ;)
image.png
image.png (250.66 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Mar 2021 09:41
Absolutely--keeping the team together as much as we can afford and looking for inexpensive ways to sprinkle in upgrades, counting on development of young guys who haven't had many reps (AJ Dillon, Deguara, Martin, Barnes, Keke, Jackson, etc), and drafting for depth and STs is the absolute right approach to an offseason for a very good team with a window wide open...

it's the "inexpensive ways to sprinkle in upgrades" part that people are consternated about at the moment; but the "inexpensive" market is still open, so hopefully we see some sort of movement
And we really didn't have the resources to go the expensive upgrades route and still be competitive in 2022.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Mar 2021 12:00
YoHoChecko wrote:

And we really didn't have the resources to go the expensive upgrades route and still be competitive in 2022.
I think this where the hand wringing is founded. We absolutely could have upgraded via expensive resources. We just decided not to and instead decided to keep Lewis, King, Preston and Lowry.

I mean there is quite a bit of cap between 2021 and 2022 in these players that could have been freed up to go after a larger, external target.

I don't think people are wrong for being mad we didn't go that route. But I also think it is unfair or premature to expect that a 2021 free agent, which most players available had poor 2020 seasons, would necessarily be an upgrade of our own players who had poor 2020 seasons just for the sake that they are different players from a different organization.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
25 Mar 2021 12:06
Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Mar 2021 12:00
YoHoChecko wrote:

I think this where the hand wringing is founded. We absolutely could have upgraded via expensive resources. We just decided not to and instead decided to keep Lewis, King, Preston and Lowry.

I mean there is quite a bit of cap between 2021 and 2022 in these players that could have been freed up to go after a larger, external target.

I don't think people are wrong for being mad we didn't go that route. But I also think it is unfair or premature to expect that a 2021 free agent, which most players available had poor 2020 seasons, would necessarily be an upgrade of our own players who had poor 2020 seasons just for the sake that they are different players from a different organization.
Not exactly, we would have been hard pressed to be better off and still been competitive with the cap in 2022. It simply would have been VERY tough if not impossible. Lewis and King are going to count for less than $6 million in cap space for 2021. That does not equal an expensive free agent. We already reworked Preston Smith's cap hit to save close to what we would have had we cut him. Cutting Lowry weakens an already thin position to only save $3.3 Million. So without signing King, Lewis, and cutting Lowry we save something like $9 million in cap space this year for 1 player and I wouldn't even call that an expensive route to go.

I think you WAY over estimate what we could do without sacrificing 2022 or weakening the team. Do I like the signing of Lewis and King, not especially, but I can see the logic and see that they could be effective pieces.

We were strapped before the cap fell hard. NO ONE could have predicted that 1 year ago.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Preston Smith is still costing us essentially $8 million if you look at it from a 2021 and 2022 window outlook. Looking at this contract decision of keeping, cutting or restructuring didn't really change.

Basically all Preston Smith's deal did was push his dead cap of $7 - $8 million from 2021 to 2022 and allow us to keep the player for another year. If the Preston has a good year...it will be worth it. If Preston has a 2020 year however, that's where the argument of "we could have used that $8 million for a higher impact player like a Watt and just have Gary take Preston's snaps" starts to hold water.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Why would we look at it from a 2 year perspective for him when we are talking 2021 cap hits??

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Looks like they are making moves to free up space to sign someone.

The problem is they wasted a bunch of money signing a guy like King and not Linsley. Kept Preston when they have Z and #52 (Gary). Overpaid Lewis.

If you free up space but use it on the wrong things it puts you in a worse position.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Legit one of the most entertaining games I've ever watched.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 Mar 2021 12:28
Preston Smith is still costing us essentially $8 million if you look at it from a 2021 and 2022 window outlook. Looking at this contract decision of keeping, cutting or restructuring didn't really change.

Basically all Preston Smith's deal did was push his dead cap of $7 - $8 million from 2021 to 2022 and allow us to keep the player for another year. If the Preston has a good year...it will be worth it. If Preston has a 2020 year however, that's where the argument of "we could have used that $8 million for a higher impact player like a Watt and just have Gary take Preston's snaps" starts to hold water.
thing is last year was Prestons worst season, each place ya look gives a different # of total pressures, best I can find is last year he only had 26 ( sacks, hits and hurry's), prior he's always been in the mid 40's, so obviously Guty thinks he can bounce back up, hope he's right.
Gary had 40+ and played less then half the snaps, but ya need every bit of pass rush you can get, so we need more then just Z and Gary,

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Mar 2021 14:01
go pak go wrote:
25 Mar 2021 12:28

thing is last year was Prestons worst season, each place ya look gives a different # of total pressures, best I can find is last year he only had 26 ( sacks, hits and hurry's), prior he's always been in the mid 40's, so obviously Guty thinks he can bounce back up, hope he's right.
Gary had 40+ and played less then half the snaps, but ya need every bit of pass rush you can get, so we need more then just Z and Gary,
Absolutely. And if he does bounce back, it will be a great decision. If he doesn't, people will have a reason to be upset at the decision.
Yoop wrote: