Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

NCF wrote:
25 May 2021 08:28
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
25 May 2021 08:25
At this point it seems clear that AR thinks Gutey is an AHole and doesn't want to work for him.
I don't think that is clear. I do think it is one or many of Gute, Ball, and Murphy, but I am not convinced it is Gute, specifically, or even that he is in Rodgers crosshairs, at all.
There was earlier reporting that AR wanted Gutey fired, I believe.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
25 May 2021 08:27
I don't know what everyone's exact role is. But seems like one of these people should be involved in this. Murphy is a CEO, shouldn't be his job. Should be Gutey or someone under those guys.
I disagree. Murphy should be the face/voice of the franchise in some regard. If Gute has to be the "bad guy", then Murphy should be the "good guy". I think what is happening, though, is Murphy is so far engrained in the new power structure that he is always siding with his guys and team management when he probably should be a little more concerned with player perceptions, etc.

To me, it seems disingenuous for that messaging to come from the GM who just made the decision to negatively impact a player.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
25 May 2021 08:36
NCF wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
At this point it seems clear that AR thinks Gutey is an AHole and doesn't want to work for him.
I don't think that is clear. I do think it is one or many of Gute, Ball, and Murphy, but I am not convinced it is Gute, specifically, or even that he is in Rodgers crosshairs, at all.
And reporting to the contrary. Nothing is 100% clear other than Rodgers is pissed at someone/something. I don't think he needs to clear it up to the public, but it sure would be nice.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
25 May 2021 08:36
NCF wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
I know, but I am not convinced of that. I believe that is one of the embellishments of this reporting. I believe James Jones or one of Rodgers cronies specifically said he is not out for the GM's job.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
25 May 2021 08:38
I don't think he needs to clear it up to the public, but it sure would be nice.
Yeah, I just don't understand the end game unless it is 100% trade me now.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

most places honor contracts, again Rodgers was given one and intended to honor it TILL Guty drafted his replacement which was obviously with the intent of not honoring the contract Murphy gave him, thats it in a nut shell, all the rest of this crap that the team has to protect itself doesn't mean squat because Rodgers has done nothing to void it, he's right that as Soon as Guty felt Love was ready to play and not even at Rodgers ability level he was going to sell Rodgers to the highest bidder, thats reality.

look at the air force QB, the air force expects him to pay back his training cost if he elects to leave prior to commitment (7 or 8 years) which is right, however if he honors the commitment he is free to leave, thats how it should be.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
25 May 2021 08:41
Soon as Guty felt Love was ready to play and not even at Rodgers ability level he was going to sell Rodgers to the highest bidder, thats reality.
You keep beating this drum. I say, so what? This is how NFL contracts work. Rodgers could have negotiated a fully guaranteed contract. Rodgers could have negotiated a no trade clause. He didn't. He knew damn well when we signed that there were no guarantees (financial and otherwise) on the back end of the deal. There is no room to play dumb here. Every NFL player knows this is a possibility.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
25 May 2021 08:31
Pckfn23 wrote:
25 May 2021 08:23
But if the All Star employee is disgruntled, he is allowed to be immature before he is fired. Because it is worth putting up with that to get his production. That is not just in the football world.
Unless the Packers feel like Love can play, like they felt Rodgers could play...Rodgers has far more power than Gutey and the smart business decision would not be to stick to the "Ron Wolf Way" or call Rodgers "the player" and tell him to get in line bc he is a player...but to make him happy so the company can use his production. Up until the point that it is unsavable, and then you trade the asset and fire the person who blew up the relationship. Thats how it would work in the real world.
That would only happen in professional sports/entertainment. That's not the real world. Since it isn't the real world, it does need to be handled differently. However, if Rodgers is miffed that they are not running personnel decision by him, such as cutting Kumerow, then he has become a detriment to the team he claims he loves.
You dont think employees have longer or shorter leashes in the non sports world based on the value their production brings to the company?

I am seeing it play out more than ever with the extreme labor shortages going on. People not showing up, people showing up late, people smarting off to bosses...and the bosses hands are tied because firing someone off principle of how things should be just means they would lose an employee and have to make up their shifts and work 24/7.
Of course employees get longer or shorter leashes depending on their production, but that is not what I commented about. Employees leashes, in the real world do not extend past the decision maker/boss, especially the bosses boss.

Firing someone on principle would actually be firing Gutenkunst. I don't believe anyone says we should cut Rodgers.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
25 May 2021 08:45
Yoop wrote:
Soon as Guty felt Love was ready to play and not even at Rodgers ability level he was going to sell Rodgers to the highest bidder, thats reality.
You keep beating this drum. I say, so what? This is how NFL contracts work. Rodgers could have negotiated a fully guaranteed contract. Rodgers could have negotiated a no trade clause. He didn't. He knew damn well when we signed that there were no guarantees (financial and otherwise) on the back end of the deal. There is no room to play dumb here. Every NFL player knows this is a possibility.
This isn't a fight for Rodgers or any 1 player and their management. If players want change, they and the NFLPA have to get their heads out of their butts and play hardball with the NFL. They might have to give up playing for a year to do it. But they screwed themselves for another decade with that last CBA.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Dang, y'all took the bait.

He didn't say a thing and there's an extra 3 pages of discussion about employee/employer relationships by 9 am.

He didn't say WHAT happened. He didn't say what HE WANTS. He didn't say IF he'll return. He didn't say if he won't.

He just rambled about caring about people.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
most places honor contracts, again Rodgers was given one and intended to honor it TILL Guty drafted his replacement which was obviously with the intent of not honoring the contract Murphy gave him, thats it in a nut shell, all the rest of this crap that the team has to protect itself doesn't mean squat because Rodgers has done nothing to void it, he's right that as Soon as Guty felt Love was ready to play and not even at Rodgers ability level he was going to sell Rodgers to the highest bidder, thats reality.

look at the air force QB, the air force expects him to pay back his training cost if he elects to leave prior to commitment (7 or 8 years) which is right, however if he honors the commitment he is free to leave, thats how it should be.
But the Packers have done nothing to end Rodgers's contract either yoop. They have done absolutely nothing at this point to suggest they are voiding Rodgers's contract.

And no sport honors contracts completely. Even the MLB and NBA, who have fully guaranteed contracts, still allows the team to trade its personnel assets. The player still keeps the contract. The player still gets paid and opportunity to provide service. It's just a different owner is signing the check.

Hell. Even coaches have been shown to not be immune to being traded. It's the reality of the sports world. Across all leagues.

And just like any other job or industry, the player can say "absolutely not" I will not provide my services under this situation. The player can do that. He just needs to find another league to play in which won't have the same prestige.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 May 2021 08:51

He didn't say a thing and there's an extra 3 pages of discussion about employee/employer relationships by 9 am.

He didn't say WHAT happened. He didn't say what HE WANTS. He didn't say IF he'll return. He didn't say if he won't.

Oh he will be a Packer in 2021.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
25 May 2021 08:50
This isn't a fight for Rodgers or any 1 player and their management. If players want change, they and the NFLPA have to get their heads out of their butts and play hardball with the NFL. They might have to give up playing for a year to do it. But they screwed themselves for another decade with that last CBA.
to be fair to Rodgers, he hated that deal, then quit as player rep after it was approved. So yeah, he really is trying to change the way contracts work, most likely.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:

Andrew Brandt had it right when the story broke.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
25 May 2021 08:53
paco wrote:
to be fair to Rodgers, he hated that deal, then quit as player rep after it was approved. So yeah, he really is trying to change the way contracts work, most likely.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
I don't get this at all. What would the NFLPA be fighting for here? You can trade players in the NBA or MLB too.

It's not that Rodgers isn't going to get paid for the length of his contract here. It just depends what jersey he is wearing and who is signing the checks.

Both teams and players have in common they want to keep ability to be traded. Teams probably moreso, but certainly players want that potential out as well.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
you/we don't know thats true, when have the Packers ever guaranteed a full contract? never, or a no trade clause, the point is Rodgers was extended for 4 more years simp0ly because Murphy thought he could play at a high level till duration, then Guty drafted his replacement a year later.

now if we want to delve into conspiracy village, whats probable is that Guty was so pissed off with Rodgers for throwing McCarthy under the bus and forcing Guty to fire and replace him mid season that Guty passed on every WR ready to play in favor of taking a QB and sending a message to Rodgers that he's in charge, I think thats closer to reality here then any other conspiracy crap I've heard, and Rodgers little tantrum is him telling Guty, no play and I'am taking the ball game home with me, try your luck with my replacement player, and Guty better wise up, if that comes to pass we'll be hiring a new GM in about 1 year.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Here's a question to ponder:

Would you want the unquestioned leader of your team to be roaming your locker room all season knowing that he resents the front office? Is that potential poison in the locker room?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
25 May 2021 08:53
YoHoChecko wrote:

Andrew Brandt had it right when the story broke.

Nailed.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Acrobat wrote:
25 May 2021 08:57
Here's a question to ponder:

Would you want the unquestioned leader of your team to be roaming your locker room all season knowing that he resents the front office? Is that potential poison in the locker room?
The Bulls won a championship doing that.
Cancelled by the forum elites.