Vaccinations and 2021 NFL season (no politics)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Jun 2021 13:37
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
22 Jun 2021 13:32

eye roll
what proof do you have to refute what I just said? seriously if you have evidence of young people having heart problems or any other health issues as a result of taking the vaccines I'd be happy to read about it.
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 ... er-vaccine

All in people under 30, like most NFL players, and this is just who it was bad enough for the people to notice and report it...

Again, I am in no way anti vax. Not at all. But the jury is still out for a reason. If it was all settled science, the final approval would be given.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-v ... lammation/

"So far, the CDC has identified 226 reports that might meet the agency's "working case definition" of myocarditis and pericarditis following the shots, the agency disclosed Thursday. The vast majority have recovered, but 41 had ongoing symptoms, 15 are still hospitalized, and 3 are in the intensive care unit."

Hard to mandate something that has a worse effect than covid would have on some people, in my opinion
thanks, still the risks are very low.

The vast majority have fully resolved with rest and supportive care,” Walensky, MD, director of the CDC, said during Thursday's White House COVID-19 Response Team briefing.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
22 Jun 2021 13:42
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

what proof do you have to refute what I just said? seriously if you have evidence of young people having heart problems or any other health issues as a result of taking the vaccines I'd be happy to read about it.

All in people under 30, like most NFL players, and this is just who it was bad enough for the people to notice and report it...

Again, I am in no way anti vax. Not at all. But the jury is still out for a reason. If it was all settled science, the final approval would be given.

"So far, the CDC has identified 226 reports that might meet the agency's "working case definition" of myocarditis and pericarditis following the shots, the agency disclosed Thursday. The vast majority have recovered, but 41 had ongoing symptoms, 15 are still hospitalized, and 3 are in the intensive care unit."

Hard to mandate something that has a worse effect than covid would have on some people, in my opinion

The vast majority have fully resolved with rest and supportive care,” Walensky, MD, director of the CDC, said during Thursday's White House COVID-19 Response Team briefing.
So, kind of like the risk of getting covid for the typical NFL player. Again, not anti this vaccine at all for most people...but for you to say that the information is settled and people are using the emergency status as an excuse to not take it...is just insanity. Hence, the CDC is holding an emergency meeting on an emerging issue...IE: The jury is still out.

So again, I say it sounds like something that I dont think should be mandated by the league while in the current rollout phase. It seems very much in the "consult your doctor and make a personal choice" phase to me.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Jun 2021 13:46
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

So, kind of like the risk of getting covid for the typical NFL player. Again, not anti this vaccine at all for most people...but for you to say that the information is settled and people are using the emergency status as an excuse to not take it...is just insanity. Hence, the CDC is holding an emergency meeting on an emerging issue...IE: The jury is still out.

So again, I say it sounds like something that I dont think should be mandated while in the current rollout phase. It seems very much in the "consult your doctor and make a personal choice" phase to me.
unvaccinated people spread the disease, just like people who have had it that don't get vaccinated, can spread the disease, so a player like Beasley can get the virus, not even know it, and spread it to anyone he comes in contact with.

I'll be interested to see what the results are of this meeting, as the data shows almost all of the young that had a heart issue as a result of getting the vaccine made a complete recovery in a matter of days, and as a result of getting the vaccine are no longer contagious, that in itself is a plus for anyone they come in contact with, just as it would be for workers on any job including NFL football teams.

I don't want to say to much as I consider many (actually most) who wont get the shot are doing so out of a rebellious spirit.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK4 ... rdiagnosed.

10 to 20 per 100,00 in the general population.

150,000,000 people with at least 1 dose and among them 226 with reported myocarditis. That rate is far less than in the general public.

Nothing is 100% safe for 100% of the population.

If these athletes are the cream of the crop, health-wise, and shouldn't have to worry about the virus, they also shouldn't have to worry about the vaccine. It's even more so important that those with little to no risk are vaccinated so that those with risk do not need to be.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
22 Jun 2021 13:32

eye roll

From what I am gathering the full approval is inevitable and will likely happen late this summer or fall. I don't think the hold up is because of any "concerns" per se but rather the length and time it takes to get through the bureaucratic red tape of getting full FDA approval. Like it always takes time to get FDA approval. But that doesn't mean the vaccine hasn't gone through rigorous testing, clinical trials, etc. Which is why I took it once I learned more about it.

Just zero concern on my end.

I did have to report symptoms for my wife on her 2nd shot. Her reaction was pretty scary. It fortunately cleared up in 48 hours.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

And let me make myself clear.

For the most part I lean towards the, "give people the benefit of the doubt" mindset through this whole Covid thing. Like this was a giant deal that nobody suspected and we as regular human beings, company leaders and local officials have had to make decisions very quickly that were literally earth shattering.

So no matter how people react to this, I pretty much just give everyone a free pass.

However, we are starting to get to a point where the science is catching up and we are starting show a way beyond this. So my stance is starting to lean towards:

1. Don't be an a$$hole (this has never changed). So if you are at a place that requires a mask and you don't think you need to wear one...wear the mask because you are at a place that is requiring it.

2. Don't be an a$$hole. If you can make measures to reduce the spread and help out your fellow man and get the economy going again...do it.

3. Don't be an a$$hole. If there are free vaccines available and the science is overwhelming on the side effects for the vast majority of people and the results of vaccines have been leading to significant declines in infections, deaths and allowing places to open up again...by gawd do it.

4. Don't be an a$$hole. You don't know the battles others are fighting. If they choose to not take the vaccine for legitimate reasons give them the respect they deserve. But hopefully those amount of people are so small that them not taking the vaccine will not matter because the rest have herd immunity.

5. Don't be an a$$hole. If you don't have a legitimate reason to have concern over the vaccine but instead are doing it because "feelings" and think "you know best" that is just stupid. The experts back this. It has to be insulting when experts who peer review this stuff and devote their entire life to this study can't have their professional opinions validated because it contradicts what Joe Schmoe "feels" is best for him or her and a fake article from Russia they read on Facebook.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jun 2021 14:33

For the most part I lean towards the, "give people the benefit of the doubt" mindset through this whole Covid thing. Like this was a giant deal that nobody suspected and we as regular human beings, company leaders and local officials have had to make decisions very quickly that were literally earth shattering.

So no matter how people react to this, I pretty much just give everyone a free pass.

However, we are starting to get to a point where the science is catching up and we are starting show a way beyond this. So my stance is starting to lean towards:

1. Don't be an a$$hole (this has never changed). So if you are at a place that requires a mask and you don't think you need to wear one...wear the mask because you are at a place that is requiring it.

2. Don't be an a$$hole. If you can make measures to reduce the spread and help out your fellow man and get the economy going again...do it.

3. Don't be an a$$hole. If there are free vaccines available and the science is overwhelming on the side effects for the vast majority of people and the results of vaccines have been leading to significant declines in infections, deaths and allowing places to open up again...by gawd do it.

4. Don't be an a$$hole. You don't know the battles others are fighting. If they choose to not take the vaccine for legitimate reasons give them the respect they deserve. But hopefully those amount of people are so small that them not taking the vaccine will not matter because the rest have herd immunity.

5. Don't be an a$$hole. If you don't have a legitimate reason to have concern over the vaccine but instead are doing it because "feelings" and think "you know best" that is just stupid. The experts back this. It has to be insulting when experts who peer review this stuff and devote their entire life to this study can't have their professional opinions validated because it contradicts what Joe Schmoe "feels" is best for him or her and a fake article from Russia they read on Facebook.
I love this.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jun 2021 14:33

well said, you should probably gett a atta boy award, I didn't see any political bias what so ever :aok: :rotf:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I agree with a large majority of the post, i would just say there are lots of "experts" and they do not all have the same opinions or think the same way about things. Some experts said in emails that the virus was too small for masks to prevent the spread (fauci), some said it came from a bat, some said it came from a lab...etc

It is good to educate oneself to determine which expert they think is right, because many have been wrong.

But for the most part, great post and well said :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

As are the risks of anyone under 40 in good health getting COVID and having problems from it. But I don't see you arguing that point. At the worst rate of infection and every player on every team (90 players per team)testing positive at the same time During Training camp, the risk would be at most 2 player deaths. That of course would have to include players who have conditions that would make them more likely to die from COVID. That is based on general population numbers in FL. And we all know that the General population is not in better physical condition than NFL players. FWIW, the common Flu has a similar number for people under the age of 40.
Last edited by Raptorman on 22 Jun 2021 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Jun 2021 15:10

It is good to educate oneself to determine which expert they think is right, because many have been wrong.
Aaah. Breaking rule #5 I see. :lol: :lol:

Let's be real here. I am an accountant at the heart of all of it. How the sam bloody heck am I to determine which "expert" is right in a topic of study I know absolutely nothing about? Like yes it is good I have free will and can educate and think for myself, but with that comes great responsibility and humility that I don't know what I am talking about so trying to think I can determine who to listen to is stupid and dangerous because I will most likely just listen to who I want to be right.

Humans are terrible at being rational. Humans are terrible at being objective and humans by and large are terrible at making thoughtful and effective decisions because it takes so much effort to do so.

Which is why again I give generally everyone a free pass when it comes to Covid.

Being wrong in March and February 2020 is different than being wrong now from the experts perspective. Data has been piling up. Researchers have spent ridiculous amounts of resources at this and most of all, the data is showing these experts and their vaccines are working at a very good rate.

So I agree it is good that we can do our own research and not just be sheep, but when you do that...understand that going down that path most likely means you will be breaking one of the a$$hole rules.

Which is not shocking honestly. Because the last 15 months have been brutal. There have been a lot of a$$holes. :lol: :rotf:
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jun 2021 15:56
Drj820 wrote:
22 Jun 2021 15:10

Aaah. Breaking rule #5 I see. :lol: :lol:

Let's be real here. I am an accountant at the heart of all of it. How the sam bloody heck am I to determine which "expert" is right in a topic of study I know absolutely nothing about? Like yes it is good I have free will and can educate and think for myself, but with that comes great responsibility and humility that I don't know what I am talking about so trying to think I can determine who to listen to is stupid and dangerous because I will most likely just listen to who I want to be right.

Humans are terrible at being rational. Humans are terrible at being objective and humans by and large are terrible at making thoughtful and effective decisions because it takes so much effort to do so.

Which is why again I give generally everyone a free pass when it comes to Covid.

Being wrong in March and February 2020 is different than being wrong now from the experts perspective. Data has been piling up. Researchers have spent ridiculous amounts of resources at this and most of all, the data is showing these experts and their vaccines are working at a very good rate.

So I agree it is good that we can do our own research and not just be sheep, but when you do that...understand that going down that path most likely means you will be breaking one of the a$$hole rules.

Which is not shocking honestly. Because the last 15 months have been brutal. There have been a lot of a$$holes. :lol: :rotf:
Yeah, 5 is the one point of yours that I took issue with. But it wasn’t because Facebook users should be elevated over the opinions of “experts”, it’s because “experts” are not of one mind and thought. There are a variety of opinions formed by experts who observé the same data. You could legitimately be following a true “expert” and be doing something very different from someone following another. Some experts seriously advocated for wearing two masks, some experts said the virus is too small to be hindered by a masks.

We shouldn’t just rely on the opinion of the local accountant, but i have plenty of tools and anecdotal evidence to read different theories and decide what makes sense. Covid came from a lab leak is an opinion that several experts said, were then silenced or drowned out, but I used my head from the beginning to know they were most likely on the right track.

I am just disagreeing with you that “experts” have come to one conclusion and that conclusion is Gospel truth. In the end, we all have to use our brains and do research (it is abundant) and make the decisions best for ourselves and our families. We will have to pick an expert we trust and follow their leadership, bc they don’t all say the same thing. Last time we were only allowed to receive one bit of information and the rest was banned from social was when they told us covid came from Bat soup.

So I like rule 1-4 at least :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I guess I was unaware there is large disagreement in the medical community regarding these vaccinations.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

If we’re going to be dismissive, or tolerant, of certain low-level risk factors then perhaps we should expand it to the bigger picture.

B9601B92-8183-4D61-A22D-14DD772514ED.png
B9601B92-8183-4D61-A22D-14DD772514ED.png (505.07 KiB) Viewed 420 times

As you can see, if you’re under the age of 55, your death per 100k population rate is pretty close to 0.

I’m guessing guys like Cole Beasley are simply looking at big picture data like above - and this is just one of several “low risk” demographic groups he fits into - and coming to the conclusion he doesn’t need to inject an experimental “vaccine” into his body when he very, very, VERY likely wouldn’t suffer any serious medical threat even if he did get infected.

Maybe he has his own “Don’t be an a$$hole” list and it starts with “take responsibility for your own health and well being; live healthy, eat healthy, BE healthy and don’t force your personal medical short-comings onto me.”

I guess I can understand a guy like Beasley taking umbrage over being forced to take an experimental drug because a largely unhealthy and obese public, who couldn’t care enough about their own health to keep their bodies in a condition that could (very likely) easily fend off the virus, who now might get sick if they should come in contact with him are now forcing him into taking a risk inducing action. The fact HE should have to take the jab, and if he refuses HE be the one who is confined, distanced, and masked when it is THEY who put themselves at risk in the first place is likely what is eating at his craw.

Or he could just be an a$$hole.

I guess I’ll go with GPG’s “Don’t be an a$$hole” rule #4 in this instance.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
22 Jun 2021 18:03
If we’re going to be dismissive, or tolerant, of certain low-level risk factors then perhaps we should expand it to the bigger picture.

B9601B92-8183-4D61-A22D-14DD772514ED.png

As you can see, if you’re under the age of 55, your death per 100k population rate is pretty close to 0.

I’m guessing guys like Cole Beasley are simply looking at big picture data like above - and this is just one of several “low risk” demographic groups he fits into - and coming to the conclusion he doesn’t need to inject an experimental “vaccine” into his body when he very, very, VERY likely wouldn’t suffer any serious medical threat even if he did get infected.

Maybe he has his own “Don’t be an a$$hole” list and it starts with “take responsibility for your own health and well being; live healthy, eat healthy, BE healthy and don’t force your personal medical short-comings onto me.”

I guess I can understand a guy like Beasley taking umbrage over being forced to take an experimental drug because a largely unhealthy and obese public, who couldn’t care enough about their own health to keep their bodies in a condition that could (very likely) easily fend off the virus, who now might get sick if they should come in contact with him are now forcing him into taking a risk inducing action. The fact HE should have to take the jab, and if he refuses HE be the one who is confined, distanced, and masked when it is THEY who put themselves at risk in the first place is likely what is eating at his craw.

Or he could just be an a$$hole.

I guess I’ll go with GPG’s “Don’t be an a$$hole” rule #4 in this instance.
Plenty of experts would agree with this assessment. Well said.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

There is no risk to the vaccine. And note that I wrote vaccine sans scare quotes.

Cole B is just an ignorant jackass. He's also selfish and hurting his team.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
22 Jun 2021 19:06
There is no risk to the vaccine.
I'm not sure what my opinion is on the issue of NFL players being required to take the vaccine or face penalties, but the confidence with which you assert this is just wrong. The statement is technically wrong too. In fact, statements like this by certain types of people are probably why so many people are hesitant to get it in the first place.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

[mention]Ghost_Lombardi[/mention] - it’s funny you zeroed in on the “scare” quotes.

When I added the quotes, my intention was to highlight Beasley’s supposed need for a “vaccine” when, in reality, Beasley likely has no need for it. In other words, he doesn’t need fixing. He is in a demographic group that has shown overwhelming resistance to any serious infection reaction.

Scare? Hardly. Just trying to make a nuanced point.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
22 Jun 2021 18:03
this attitude of i'll look out for myself and to hell with others is why America leads the world in covid death rate.

the problem is there are to many Beasley minded people in this country.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
22 Jun 2021 19:06
There is no risk to the vaccine. And note that I wrote vaccine sans scare quotes.

Cole B is just an ignorant jackass. He's also selfish and hurting his team.
Haven’t even heard the experts claim this, nor the paper work you must sign when you take the jab.