Round 5 (175) - Kamal Martin, ILB Minnesota

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

NFL.com scouting report wasn't very informative. TDN has better ones:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kama ... UnFZhXnuFY

Sounds like a "thumper"-ILB. A pretty meh pick, but I'll take it. A late 5th is basically a 6th, and we will need a guy like that on the second-level, given that our DL is not terribly stout, and we needed help against the run in the worst way.

It's competition with Summers for the last ILB spot, IMO. Kirksey and Greene are likely our starters. If Bolton can get back to where he was before the injury, I think he's the favorite for ILB3. Burks fighting for his life.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TV coverage:

He can shoot gaps and make negative plays. Instinctive in coverage.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:11
TV coverage:

He can shoot gaps and make negative plays. Instinctive in coverage.
Yeah, that was interesting; their entire cutup of him was passing downs. Breaking up a screen, INT a pass, zone drop in the red zone.

I guess that was kinda nice.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So some Gophers fans I am hearing from really like Martin. They said he was on pace for a monster senior year until his knee injury that took him out which ended up destroying his draft stock.

I am feeling better about this pick.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

lifelong_packfan
Reactions:

Post by lifelong_packfan »

TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 14:46
Run stopper, will be worthless on passing downs. Don't look very instinctive, but definitely strong.

Ain't going to complain at this point, he's a body at the ILB position.
Hey - at least Gute is showing he's making an effort to fill need positions. :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:58
ok, that's just weird, right?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 16:56
NCF wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:58
ok, that's just weird, right?
I thought so.

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

lifelong_packfan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 16:54
TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 14:46
Run stopper, will be worthless on passing downs. Don't look very instinctive, but definitely strong.

Ain't going to complain at this point, he's a body at the ILB position.
Hey - at least Gute is showing he's making an effort to fill need positions. :lol:
It's about time huh. 8-)

Welcome btw!
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Kamal Martin thinks range, football IQ and coverage ability are his strengths. Interesting to hear that.

Took a lot of pride playing STs at the Gophers. Also loves to hit. Especially in the cold.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

McGinn's "What The Scouts Said Before the Draft":
Kamal Martin, LB, Minnesota
Fifth round (No. 175 overall)

AFC scout: “He’s a run-around guy. He does have some movement. Free agent.”

NFC scout: “I probably like him more than anybody else I heard. He’s long, athletic and sees it well enough. I don’t feel a buzz for him. He’s probably worthy of being a fourth-round pick, but I think he’ll be more like a sixth. Carter Coughlin was a much better player for them but I see it as a reverse going forward. I see Martin’s value on special teams and his upside as being better. I think he will go ahead of Coughlin.”

NFC scout: “He couldn’t play in the Senior Bowl because he had to have a cleanup (knee) surgery. He’s prototype NFL length and has the ability to play in space. He’s got a huge ceiling.”

AFC scout:
“Seventh round. He has good size and speed. He has an athletic body. He produced on (special) teams. His foot quickness kind of got exposed. He got a little grabby in coverage. But he was dinged up all year. He was suspended for the first game and didn’t play the third game, and then he missed three games later. The film last year was a little better but not where I would separate him to a way higher grade.”

AFC scout: “Fifth, sixth round.”
Gutey on Martin:
Great size, great length; he can run, can really run. Do your due diligence and go back to 18 you see a more dynamic player. He has versatility, can play both size; size, length and speed. You'll see more of what we saw in 2018
Sounds like this is another guy whose '18 tape is a totally different player than '19. They talked a bit about him really gutting through an injury. I like the pick a lot more now, with these insights.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:55
So some Gophers fans I am hearing from really like Martin. They said he was on pace for a monster senior year until his knee injury that took him out which ended up destroying his draft stock.

I am feeling better about this pick.
I'm with you on this pick. And before anybody says anything about his negatives, I can find something negative about any player that's ever played.
Pretty much every one in this draft and all of the other drafts has a revue that can say whatever you want to hear.
IIRC, Rodgers was called, not very athletic. Ryan Leaf was considered a " can't miss " prospect, Braylon Edwards was called the " perfect receiver " coming out of college. Mark Sanchez was " The Franchez " Sam Mills was " way too small " to play in the NFL. I could go on, but I think it's a waste of time to read anything about second or third day picks that the so called experts have never really seen play.