The Fiasco Draft Grades

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

The Fiasco Draft Grades

Post by lupedafiasco »

Round 1: Jordan Love- F

I cant get behind this pick. This pick alone I could give a D but the trade up makes this an F. I think Love has a good arm. I dont think he has a great arm. If he cleans up his mechanics I guess his velocity will improve but as it stands his footwork is horrible. His accuracy and ball placement is average at best. A lot of comparisons range from Mahommes (which is absurd to compare a once in a generation talent) to Kizer. I see Ryan Tannenhill. Good size, moderately athletic, arm is good/not great, makes a ton of mistakes. You can get by as a smart QB with average athleticism and arm. Eli and Rivers were like that. But if youre decision making is awful, mechanics are off, and your processor is slow you just end up like Hundley or Kizer. Sure all coachable characteristics and time will tell if this group can do it. Rodgers clearly still has what it takes to make this team win but if we dont invest in him he isnt going to help us win. The value was bad IMO. Love is a 2nd round prospect because he isnt ready to play and isnt the elite arm talent people are making him out to be. It doesnt matter how great a player you can be if you have no consistency. Then you have the contract. So you keep Aaron for 3 more years so you dont carry a crazy dead cap. Then you start Love for his 4th year and miss that QB rookie contract window to com pete for a SB like were seeing from so many teams. Just dumb. Losing a 4th pick for this is just another addition to a long list of reasons why this doesnt make sense.

Round 2: AJ Dillon- D

I like the player but hate the position where we drafted him. I thought Dillon was at best a 4th round pick. Most sites considered him a FB and though I felt that was a bit harsh I understood it. Sure he ran fast but he doesnt look it. He looks stiff running IMO. Still you can get RBs anywhere. IMO you never sign a RB to a 2nd deal with how easily they can be found. So even if you let Jones walk and this guy balls out you just get a bellcow back for 3 years and move on again. I just cant get behind it.

Round 3: Josiah Deguara- F
Horrible value. Absolutely horrible value. In terms of better TEs available there was a ton. If its true they plan to use him as a FB then we took a FB in the 3rd round?! Just bad. I would be behind this as a 6th round pick. Had they kept their 4th they could have moved up either in the 2nd and 3rd and got some good players that were left. Instead they added to a TE room that has Sternberger, Tonyan, and Lewis. Not a deep or talented one but if you wanted to add to the TE room why not add later in the draft? This just confirms we used a 3rd round pick on a FB. Blah.

Round 4: Traded- F
Traded for no reason. Had Love fallen to us you take him. If not you saved yourself from a mistake. Essentially we are used 2 picks on one backup for the next 3 years. Maybe 2 if we eat a 17million dead cap.

Round 5: Kamal Martin- D
I guess at this point you cant say bad value at the end of the 5th but I thought this was again early to take a player. I thought way better LBs went after him. Its clear the Packers preferred his skillset. Hes more of a play the run type but I think the knock on him is his instincts and that show up a lot.

Round 6a: Jon Runyan- B
I think this is a good pick. This is the first good pick the Packers made this whole draft. Value was great. Hes a good piece. Not much to say about it. I could care less about the bloodline but hes got the size and his technique is solid. I think the Packers may cut Taylor when some of these teams cut a WR after cashing in wisely on this deep WR class. This adds depth to the position. It also isnt very hard to beat out the horrible and overpaid Turner.

Round 6b: Jake Hanson- B
This is another good pick. Value is right. Ton of experience. Good technique. Not a great athlete but I think that trait is over rated on the OL if you have good technique and a strong work ethic. Linsley is as good as gone. Hes a good player but he isnt the type you keep for a 3rd contract unless its a bargain.

The other 3: INC
I dont know much about the others to grade.

Overall: F
This is an F draft class. Im now all in on the Gutey hate. Hes a horrible GM. Hes worse than TT because it isnt TTs fault. He lost his mind and got dementia. Gutey still has in marbles together. Hes just dumb. It just goes along with my theory that the Packers organization dont really want to win a SB. If they do thats great. Really they just want to remain compeitive, so they can make the playoffs, be in the conversation, raise ticket prices and keep people content. While all our competition in the NFC was getting better filling their holes and making theirselves the best they could be we completely drafted for the future. Weve already given up on this group. Its time to move the old stuff out and start over with this new regime. Its a sad day knowing the Rodgers era is already over and we have 3 years to go.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

Agree! Why our gm can even look at himself and say he did a good job is beyond me. You gave up almost 300 yards rushing in your last game, yet do nothing to fix the problem. You signed a guy who had played 9 games in 2 years in fa. The rest of the ilbs on this team are either coming off injury or just jags. You traded up and 1 of the best ilbs is sitting in your lap..yet you draft another project in rd 1..and give up your 4th rd pick, which would have been valuable in this draft.
No receivers drafted in this deep of a group is mind boggling.. The 49ers widened the gap tremendously! This team will be lucky to go 8-8.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

He does remind me of Kizer which would be devastating. Gotta give Gutey another F for wearing a badgers jacket during the draft and the only packers gear in the camera shot of his house was some homemade art project it looked like his kids did. Need to come to work for the Packers in Packers attire Brian, unless you want to be working for wisconsin next year.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 22:23
He does remind me of Kizer which would be devastating. Gotta give Gutey another F for wearing a badgers jacket during the draft and the only packers gear in the camera shot of his house was some homemade art project it looked like his kids did. Need to come to work for the Packers in Packers attire Brian, unless you want to be working for wisconsin next year.
I hope this is a joke? Who cares what he wears.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I don’t know what videos you are watching about Love’s arm. He is throwing to every pattern on the route tree. Half of the starters in the NFL aren’t doing that.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!