Video Game Thread

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Aug 2021 07:57
Going to be a busy October with AoE4 and BF2042!
Stupid DICE, BF now delayed into November. More time with AoE4! Played the COD Vanguard Beta. Meh. Too run and gun for me. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands look fun in March.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

AoE4 looks just like #2… which is a great thing!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Just got Minecraft for my sons birthday. He and both my girls are completely obsessed with it.

I’ve never played it and I prolly shouldn’t. I can definitely get too into games like that myself.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

BF004 wrote:
28 Sep 2021 13:40
Just got Minecraft for my sons birthday. He and both my girls are completely obsessed with it.

I’ve never played it and I prolly shouldn’t. I can definitely get too into games like that myself.
Minecraft is in the category of games I'd have zero problems with my kid (or since I have none, nieces) playing. And it's also a game I'd love to play with them, or spectate them playing it and to be there to answer questions. Minecraft is such a canvas for creativity and excitement. Virtual LEGOs but with so much more you can do, but you kinda have to earn your LEGOs by getting good at the game.

There are a few more games I know would be great for a kid and their parent to experience together:

Ori and The Blind Forest (and the sequel Ori and The Will of the Wisps) - A modern platformer with a golden heart. Kinda where the evolution of Super Mario has led to. A game with a real, heart-wrenching and -warming story. Kids will rule at the fast-paced gameplay, but adults may be needed for the emotional cutscenes.

Stardew Valley / My Time in Portia - Both are rather peaceful games, with optional lighthearted combat, where you build a farm, fish, forage, explore, care for your pets and foster relationships, have adventures and do silly things in a small town setting. Both manage to be the opposite of stress, while somehow keeping your attention and rewarding about anything you do. Safe and great for relaxing. Retro graphics leave room for imagination.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Needs a kick ass computer, but it's a marvel. The entire world to experience in the air. Especially in COVID times, let your kids fly. Or fly 'em to where they wanna go. Over Lambeau Field? OK. Around Mt. Everest? Doable. To Finland? You can literally see my house in Finland if you fly to the right spot. Here's some of Helsinki, and it sure is a good representation (from a distance). There's no grid, the city was built over time on islands and stuff.

_
For best experience, mute the annoying mosquito engine sound, and play Sibelius' Finlandia on Spotify instead. If you get it aligned right, it's very sweet!:
_

Madden - Even if it's a shame that the game isn't a good simulation of the sport of football, it can still teach things like formations, terminology and the importance of down and distance.

Among Us - It's a game about catching a traitor, the Impostor among y'all. Doing so requires vocal co-operation. Learning co-operation is great. Learning to be a good Impostor when it's your turn to be it.... Gotta teach kids about lying at some point...

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Great breakdown! Be wary of Ori with little ones. I was choking up a bit when Ru died 😞

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Among Us community is a bit toxic.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Sep 2021 16:47
It can be, that's why "with parents". Or at least parents explaining that if random people on the internet call you names, what's up with that.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

salmar80 wrote:
28 Sep 2021 17:32
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Sep 2021 16:47
It can be, that's why "with parents". Or at least parents explaining that if random people on the internet call you names, what's up with that.
Can say that about any online community really.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Idk if anyone knows who videogamedunkey is but hes a youtube personality but here is his reaction to the new Mario Movie cast. This &%$@ kills me every time.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If the game gets out of hand I am headed to AoE4. I hope not!

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

For those interested and maybe didn't want to give EA more money for crap games (that would be me). You can get Madden 22 free if you have Prime. Have to claim by end of March.
https://gaming.amazon.com/home
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco wrote:
05 Mar 2022 07:23
For those interested and maybe didn't want to give EA more money for crap games (that would be me). You can get Madden 22 free if you have Prime. Have to claim by end of March.
Looks like only for PC

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

paco wrote:
05 Mar 2022 07:23
Thanks for the tip. The game's been at a state of stasis for a while now. I hate that they have the monopoly. Soccer games have become proper simulations due to the competition, but Madden is more of a business model than a well-made game.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

salmar80 wrote:
05 Mar 2022 14:24
Soccer games have become proper simulations due to the competition
Alternatively, a wildly popular variation is to play soccer with cars in stadiums w/ thunderdrome cages.