What's for dinner.

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Raptorman
Reactions:

What's for dinner.

Post by Raptorman »

What's for dinner. So, who is cooking what? No picture of dinner, but we did have dessert.

Vanilla crêpe filled with ricotta & cream cheese, topped with homemade raspberry sauce

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

I was wrong. The wife had pictures of dinner. Chicken, mushroom, garlic, caramelized onion/shallots, harissa, parsley and herbed goat cheese, wrapped in a crêpe, drowned in béchamel sauce, baked for 30 minutes.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

You’re my kinda food connoisseur!

Who is the cook, you or the wife?

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
28 Apr 2020 05:11
You’re my kinda food connoisseur!

Who is the cook, you or the wife?
That one was my wife. I need to learn to make crepes. They are pretty easy. Just need the right pan.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

I am huge into smoking meat. Anyone else?
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Grilled venison medallions with grilled asparagus and cheese ravioli in white sauce, made it for my wife and daughter last night.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
28 Apr 2020 09:57
Grilled venison medallions with grilled asparagus and cheese ravioli in white sauce, made it for my wife and daughter last night.
Pictures next time. Or it didn't happen. :)

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
28 Apr 2020 08:25
I wish I could justify the cost of a smoker. I love it, but the time just isn't there. The most time I have is in the winter... Spring is track until June. June and July we camp most weekends. August to winter is football. Right now would be the perfect to for a smoker. Nothing but time!

Did a nice marinaded flank steak on the grill the other night. It was very good.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Apr 2020 10:34
Packfntk wrote:
I wish I could justify the cost of a smoker. I love it, but the time just isn't there. The most time I have is in the winter... Spring is track until June. June and July we camp most weekends. August to winter is football. Right now would be the perfect to for a smoker. Nothing but time!

Did a nice marinaded flank steak on the grill the other night. It was very good.
Man, I said the same, but I literally use my Traeger every single week. It is possibly the best purchase I have ever made.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
28 Apr 2020 10:38
Pckfn23 wrote:
Packfntk wrote:

Man, I said the same, but I literally use my Traeger every single week. It is possibly the best purchase I have ever made.
I know! I have been going back and forth. There are probably only about 5-10 days during the spring/summer/fall I can spend 8-10 hours on something worthwhile. And when we want to grill I can't take 45 minutes for burgers. BAH! So frustrating, as there is nothing better than a good smoked brisket or some burnt ends.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Apr 2020 10:42
Packfntk wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I know! I have been going back and forth. There are probably only about 5-10 days during the spring/summer/fall I can spend 8-10 hours on something worthwhile. And when we want to grill I can't take 45 minutes for burgers. BAH! So frustrating, as there is nothing better than a good smoked brisket or some burnt ends.
But you don't have to sit there for 8-10 hours. Especially with a Traeger. Most things are set it and forget it. I do pork butts and don't look at them for 12-16 hours.

On the burger note, you can do them as fast as a regular grill. My Traeger gets to 450. I still use a grill for burgers, but it's all good.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
28 Apr 2020 10:54
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Apr 2020 10:42
Packfntk wrote:

But you don't have to sit there for 8-10 hours. Especially with a Traeger. Most things are set it and forget it. I do pork butts and don't look at them for 12-16 hours.

On the burger note, you can do them as fast as a regular grill. My Traeger gets to 450. I still use a grill for burgers, but it's all good.
All great to know! I think I will look into it more for next summer (and the new home). Thanks!

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

If you get one, and have any questions, I think I have smoked every animal/veggie on the planet, don't be hesitant to reach out.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Raptorman wrote:
28 Apr 2020 10:32
Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
28 Apr 2020 09:57
Pictures next time. Or it didn't happen. :)
Yeah that is the one thing I miss since I decided to not have my email go to my phone, now I am just too lazy to reset the password on my laptop and phone.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
28 Apr 2020 11:03
If you get one, and have any questions, I think I have smoked every animal/veggie on the planet, don't be hesitant to reach out.
What model do you have? Bigger, the better? Just curious your thoughts on all the various models and variations.

Read More. Post Less.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

NCF wrote:
28 Apr 2020 12:07
Packfntk wrote:
28 Apr 2020 11:03
What model do you have? Bigger, the better? Just curious your thoughts on all the various models and variations.
I have the older version, the 34 series which is a lot of grill in my opinion. This is before they came out with WiFire "Wifi on your grill for temps", but I don't think you need that. I don't like to sit on my couch and smoke, it has a probe reader on it so you can tell internal temperatures, etc. I have a deep blue lid.
image.png
image.png (278.93 KiB) Viewed 745 times

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

You can fit a lot on it. 7 racks of ribs, or 8 chickens, or 40 burgers, etc. I haven't ever had space issues. Just did a 12 pound pork belly and smoked it for bacon:
image.png
image.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 744 times
The ribs are 100% perfect on it, and to my liking. Clean bite off the bone, tender, mmmmmmmm. Doing more this weekend.
image.png
image.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 744 times

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Packfntk wrote:

Do what I did. Get the combo. That way when you have the time to smoke you can, Grill fast it's gas or slow, it's charcoal. Image

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Do you like that a lot raptor? Haven't talked to anyone that has it.

But for smoking, I am assuming you can use wood fire for it? That is why people want to smoke, not to have their meat taste like charcoal (or in my case). I have my charcoal grill for that. Man I think I have a problem and have too many grills.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Packfntk wrote:
28 Apr 2020 15:33
Do you like that a lot raptor? Haven't talked to anyone that has it.

But for smoking, I am assuming you can use wood fire for it? That is why people want to smoke, not to have their meat taste like charcoal (or in my case). I have my charcoal grill for that. Man I think I have a problem and have too many grills.
The container on the far right is for a wood fire. It has a pass-through that goes to the charcoal grill side for smoking. So far it's worked pretty well. The nice thing is I can add wood without opening the top.