What's for dinner.

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Heck no! My 8 year old likes olives though.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I'll be getting the smoker going around 5am tomorrow.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

My mouth waters just looking at that...

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

APB wrote:
01 May 2020 22:43
My mouth waters just looking at that...
We'll see how it goes. Smoking some corn on the cob too. Need one other side though. 🤔
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I tried corn on the cob several different ways one day so I could try them side by side.

Just stuck them in after soaking, shucked them and loosely wrapped them in foil and one or two other ways.

However by far the best, most smoky flavor, was to peel them back, add a little butter and salt right on the corn, bring the husks back up and tie them back closed. Smoked em for like 90 mins. Was incredible.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Just put in a chuck roast in the smoker around 10.

Try to give it a just 5-6 hours, rub some bbq sauce on it 15 mins before it’s done then slice it thin and make some sandwiches.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

image.png
image.png (741.09 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Packfntk wrote:
03 May 2020 18:59
image.png
Damn, how many people are you feeding?

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Question. How do you guys cook your brats?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Raptorman wrote:
03 May 2020 19:18
Put em on the grill.

Amazing fresh off the grill.

Otherwise take em off the grill and put em on a warmer with some beer, butter and onions.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Raptorman wrote:
I prefer grilled over charcoal. If short on time or lazy, I'll put 'em on the gas grill. If it's raining outside and the frying pan becomes an option, I'll stand in the rain over my gas grill or cook something else. I'd feel like I was wasting a good brat if I fried it in a pan.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

APB wrote:
04 May 2020 02:38
Raptorman wrote:
I prefer grilled over charcoal. If short on time or lazy, I'll put 'em on the gas grill. If it's raining outside and the frying pan becomes an option, I'll stand in the rain over my gas grill or cook something else. I'd feel like I was wasting a good brat if I fried it in a pan.
Really? I'd choose cast-iron pan over a smelly gas grill anytime. Over charcoal beats both. Also UNDER ashes of a bonfire, wrapped up in tin foil.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

salmar80 wrote:
04 May 2020 03:32
APB wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Really? I'd choose cast-iron pan over a smelly gas grill anytime. Over charcoal beats both. Also UNDER ashes of a bonfire, wrapped up in tin foil.
I can still get a grill taste in a brat over gas with wood chips or other techniques. I can't get that on a stovetop. Plus, we have a glass top stove so we limit our cast iron cooking to over a flame on the outside gas burner. Mama said I ain't scratching -or cracking! - her stove top up with my heavy ass pan!

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Yeah, I do my brats on charcoal if I have the time, otherwise it is my propane grill. BTW- I just got my new Weber Genesis ll. Very excited!

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
04 May 2020 03:59
salmar80 wrote:
04 May 2020 03:32
APB wrote:

I can still get a grill taste in a brat over gas with wood chips or other techniques. I can't get that on a stovetop. Plus, we have a glass top stove so we limit our cast iron cooking to over a flame on the outside gas burner. Mama said I ain't scratching -or cracking! - her stove top up with my heavy ass pan!
Great idea about the ashes. Never would have thought of that. Do any of you guys "pre-cook" them? My nephew who is some kind of up an coming chef in NYC took them and cooked them in Beer and onions first, then put them on the Charcoal grill then back into the beer to keep them warm. I have to admit, they were damn good. I always just cooked them on a charcoal grill. Matter of fact, it's the reason we had a small Weber around when I had the gas grill. Nothing like the smoke from brats on charcoal smelling up the neighborhood.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Raptorman wrote:
04 May 2020 08:59
Great idea about the ashes. Never would have thought of that. Do any of you guys "pre-cook" them? My nephew who is some kind of up an coming chef in NYC took them and cooked them in Beer and onions first, then put them on the Charcoal grill then back into the beer to keep them warm. I have to admit, they were damn good. I always just cooked them on a charcoal grill. Matter of fact, it's the reason we had a small Weber around when I had the gas grill. Nothing like the smoke from brats on charcoal smelling up the neighborhood.
Yeah, my father inlaw always boils them in beer and onions first, then grills them. If I am cooking for a party I grill them ahead of time, then put them in beer/onions/mustard, but never boil them before.

And yes, that smell of brats on a charcoal grill literally makes me think of the Lambeau Field parking lot every time.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
04 May 2020 07:55
Yeah, I do my brats on charcoal if I have the time, otherwise it is my propane grill. BTW- I just got my new Weber Genesis ll. Very excited!
Have had the original Weber Genesis for 14 years now. Well worth the investment. I did notice the v2's look to have skimped a bit and made stainless steel grates the standard. If your's didn't come with them, I would suggest upgrading to cast iron grates.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
04 May 2020 09:04
Raptorman wrote:
04 May 2020 08:59
Yeah, my father inlaw always boils them in beer and onions first, then grills them. If I am cooking for a party I grill them ahead of time, then put them in beer/onions/mustard, but never boil them before.

And yes, that smell of brats on a charcoal grill literally makes me think of the Lambeau Field parking lot every time.
I boil before, but the as SOON as it reaches a boil, I turn the burner off and just let them sit there until I am ready to throw them on the grill. And yes, it also works well when you take them off the grill, but I would only leave enough left in the pan to cover the bottom and only turn the burner back on just to warm them right before you are ready to eat.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Beer and onions and the grill the onions too!

It saves grilling time to boil them as well. Just crisp the outside and your done. I feel they are juicier as well.

We have a couple meat shops around, Brines in Stillwater and RJs Meats in Hudson. Both offer some great options. The authentic German bratwurst from RJs (the Winzwrstube in Hudson uses them at the restaurant) is fantastic but expensive. The black and blue brats are always a favorite as well as the jalepeno cheddar.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

NCF wrote:
04 May 2020 09:06
Packfntk wrote:
04 May 2020 07:55
Have had the original Weber Genesis for 14 years now. Well worth the investment. I did notice the v2's look to have skimped a bit and made stainless steel grates the standard. If your's didn't come with them, I would suggest upgrading to cast iron grates.
Yeah, mine is all decked out with everything, I made sure of that. I had a Genesis before, but it was like 10 years old, and I have wanted a new one for a few years. It is incredible. Cooked on it a couple times already, love it.