Packers signing Devin Funchess

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
25 Mar 2020 08:14
I'am such a pc dunce, which is the control key? I adjusted from normal to large, size 150 with the down arrow next to normal, and it looks to be the same small or what is considered normal, sorry to be such a pain in the butt.
Most say "Ctrl" on them.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
25 Mar 2020 08:17
Yoop wrote:
25 Mar 2020 08:14
I'am such a pc dunce, which is the control key? I adjusted from normal to large, size 150 with the down arrow next to normal, and it looks to be the same small or what is considered normal, sorry to be such a pain in the butt.
Most say "Ctrl" on them.
man :thwap: all I had to do was click on my PC control panel to increase the font size of Packer Huddle, thanks for kicking my brain into gear :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

who can say why Funches has been slow to excel, besides last years Collar bone he really hasn't done as well as expected, could be gray matter, could be coaching, he'll get a new start here, it would be great if he takes a production leap.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.70
40 Yard Dash (HH): 4.61
20 Yard (ET): 2.74
20 Yard (HH): 2.58
10 Yard (ET): 1.66
10 Yard (HH): 1.56
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'02"

or

40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.55
40 Yard Dash (HH): 4.56
20 Yard (ET): 2.63
20 Yard (HH): 2.57
10 Yard (ET): 1.58
10 Yard (HH): 1.60
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17
Vertical Jump: 38
Broad Jump: 10'02"

Which is Fuchness and which is Lazard? Lazard was half an inch taller and 5 pounds lighter. These are both combine numbers.

And then there is this, from the Panthers' website: "According to Rotoworld, Funchess had the highest drop rate in the league last
year (2018-19 season) at 13.9 percent.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

What about Lazard makes some so down on him?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

I was quite impressed by Lazard. I thought he played very well. I have never been impressed by Funchess. Drops the ball a lot.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]williewasgreat[/mention]

I was impressed as well. I had heard during this past offseason he lost about 10 pounds and I think that showed on the field. The only ding I would give him was some of his double catches, but I think that can easily improve. I don't see much that tells me he can't be at least an average #2.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 25 Mar 2020 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lazard is a bit of a body catcher, band hand technique, doesn't create a lot of separation. That lack of separation not going to help when you don't have the best hands.

Don't know what else to say than he legit had some luck on catches/lack of drops this year.

Bobbles this

That's using your head. Just god awful technique, lol he is like scooping with his hands so far apart. 95-98% of the time that is a drop.

Not sustainable, IMO. There are a few other examples in my mind where I didn't find video for.

My absolute hat off to him, guy came from nowhere and balled and delivered in some clutch moments. But, not a guy I want to see at #2 or even #3 on the depth chart next year. Don't really want to see Funchess at #2 or #3 either.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Not sustainable, I agree, but something that can be improved upon with practice. Catch technique can absolutely improve. To me, this isn't a deal breaker in the quest for #2.

I didn't see this separation issue. Personally, I think he was pretty good at creating separation.
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rece ... separation - Separation and Cushion are interesting. Just interesting, doesn't tell us a ton, take it as you will.

From Fennel after the regular season:
econd-year UDFA WR Allen Lazard has emerged as one of the more reliable and productive players on offense.

In addition to his blocking and special-teams play, Lazard has been clutch in several areas of receiving, including on third downs, in the fourth quarter, as a slot and during scramble drills.

On third down, Lazard finished the regular season with 13 receptions and 12 first-down conversions – both of which are second-most on the team – trailing only Davante Adams.

In the fourth quarter, Lazard had 11 receptions, including 10 first-down conversions, tying him for the team lead.

Lazard took over the slot position spot that was previously occupied by Randall Cobb last season and then Geronimo Allison early in 2019. Lazard’s 16 slot receptions were third-most on the team.

It’s evident Rodgers trusts the young receiver. Lazard finished the regular season with the best catch rate on the team, hauling in 68.6 percent of his 51 targets with only three drops.

The trust and chemistry were clear on scramble-drill situations as well. Rodgers often looked to Lazard on those plays with him catching 18 passes, which was third-most on the team.
Definitely need to see improvement from him, but I have seen enough to believe that can happen.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 25 Mar 2020 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.packers.com/news/longform/n ... -green-bay

Article on Lazard, talking about how he committed during the offseason and did lose weight (how much exactly, not known).

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

We'll see how he does. I'm thinking he's more Ladarius Gunter than Tramon Williams though. Don't think he has the tools. I think both MVS and Eq do. Lets see if either if them can stay health and/or put it together on the field with any consistency.

I still would like 2 WR's taken in the first 4 rounds.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

I always felt Lazard had a pretty good catch radius. One such example:

Shows it a number of times in college too:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
25 Mar 2020 10:33
We'll see how he does. I'm thinking he's more Ladarius Gunter than Tramon Williams though. Don't think he has the tools. I think both MVS and Eq do. Lets see if either if them can stay health and/or put it together on the field with any consistency.

That's what I mean, what tools is he lacking? Consistent catch ability was one, which I agree with. What else is he missing?

HeavyD
Reactions:

Post by HeavyD »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Mar 2020 09:25
What about Lazard makes some so down on him?
For a undrafted player, he exceeded any expectations I had of him. He seems like he'll be valuable and at a great value at the same time. Hard to figure.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Mar 2020 11:05
BF004 wrote:

That's what I mean, what tools is he lacking? Consistent catch ability was one, which I agree with. What else is he missing?
Everything I listed above? :idn:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
25 Mar 2020 11:08
Pckfn23 wrote:
BF004 wrote:

The other thing you mentioned was separation. Am I missing others?

What is he lacking in tools that says to you he can't improve on those things? Personally I think he has the tools to be a decent #2. Obviously :lol:

As an aside, I also think the current talk of him to TE is very tone deaf (McGinn is still suggesting this). The guy lost weight and committed to the weight and conditioning program. Plus, the Packers said they are keeping him at WR. We in no way is a possible TE any longer.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Doesn't have good catching technique, can't reliably catch contested passes, and doesn't create enough separation.

I mean what else are you looking for in a WR? :lol:

The only one there, I personally, have noticed people being able to improve on is separation by running better routes and getting tougher at the LOS, but isn't common, in my humble stoic opinion.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Mar 2020 11:21
BF004 wrote:
25 Mar 2020 11:08
Pckfn23 wrote:

The other thing you mentioned was separation. Am I missing others?

What is he lacking in tools that says to you he can't improve on those things? Personally I think he has the tools to be a decent #2. Obviously :lol:

As an aside, I also think the current talk of him to TE is very tone deaf (McGinn is still suggesting this). The guy lost weight and committed to the weight and conditioning program. Plus, the Packers said they are keeping him at WR. We in no way is a possible TE any longer.
Who says Adams is a #1 though? ;)
RIP JustJeff