NFL Awards

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

MLF getting some love for Coach of the Year.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/video/bet ... -breakdown

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Rodgers is the best player this year and should be the MVP.

I don't think he will get it because of the COVID thing.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

bud fox wrote:
20 Dec 2021 01:43
Rodgers is the best player this year and should be the MVP.

I don't think he will get it because of the COVID thing.
I thought that at first too. But as others like AB do worse things, time moves on, and he continues playing great, that changes. I think he's in the thick of it. But agree, some will push votes other ways because of it. Won't be a unanimous winner this year.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

6 weeks ago I was pretty adamant of Rodgers not being MVP and I still stand by that. The Packers were winning because of our defense and AJ Dillon.

6 weeks later, Rodgers is the MVP. He has played outstanding since 5 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter in Minneapolis. Really weird to see 3 to 4 gimmes escape him yesterday but he played really well (albeit against a terrible secondary). Right now I would put it between Rodgers and Taylor in Indy. Prescott and Brady are probably in that next group.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
20 Dec 2021 06:34
6 weeks ago I was pretty adamant of Rodgers not being MVP and I still stand by that. The Packers were winning because of our defense and AJ Dillon.

6 weeks later, Rodgers is the MVP. He has played outstanding. Really weird to see 3 to 4 gimmes escape him yesterday but he played really well (albeit against a terrible secondary). Right now I would put it between Rodgers and Taylor in Indy. Prescott and Brady are probably in that next group.
I think Brady’s chances took a big hit last night. He laid an egg on national television, getting shut out late in the season against an inferior divisional rival.

Yeah, he lost some weapons in-game - and media pundits are already teeing up that excuse - but MVP’s rise above the injuries and still come up big. On many plays it wasn’t the injury fill-in players costing the Bucs, it was Brady throwing int’s, overthrowing open receivers, or chucking it into the feet of his teammates. Those performances tend to stick out when it comes voting time.

I don’t know if it necessarily pushes votes toward Rodgers but the case for Brady took major damage last night.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah Taylor really needs to be in the MVP mix.

Rodgers, Brady, Taylor

Brady was a “lock” until last night, but I hope that shutouts spoils his chances. I’d actually put Taylor ahead of Rodgers at the moment, if you’re willing to go non-QB in a league where QBs clearly provide extra value relative to other positions

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Dec 2021 07:16
Yeah Taylor really needs to be in the MVP mix.

Rodgers, Brady, Taylor

Brady was a “lock” until last night, but I hope that shutouts spoils his chances. I’d actually put Taylor ahead of Rodgers at the moment, if you’re willing to go non-QB in a league where QBs clearly provide extra value relative to other positions
I too would put Taylor #1 right now.

If Rodgers closes the season though with two more games of 3 TDs....I probably give it back to Rodgers.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

^^ Ross Uglem with the haymaker truth bomb right there… ^^

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Brady +120
Rodgers +160
Mahomes +1000
Taylor +1400

Right now if you put $100 on Rodgers and Brady, you'll be guaranteed to come out ahead as long as one of them win.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Dec 2021 19:44
wallyuwl wrote:
20 Dec 2021 19:41
bud fox wrote:
20 Dec 2021 15:15
They could steal it from him due to the COVID issue but on numbers/play he should win.
By play it is him or Taylor. But it is a QB award nowadays. But lots of bitter writers.
Yeah i could totally see politics taking it from him if other factors are equal or even very close.

I really dont think Taylor is close to Rodgers tho.
1) hes a rb
2) i think their defense is actually what is carrying them.
3) carrying them to what..maybe a wildcard? Not like they are a 10 win team.
I'm answering this in a different thread because it fits better here, but...

while yeah, it is a mostly-QB award, Adrian Pederson won it a bit ago, and Taylor could have that sort of impact. Here's the case for him:

1) He is producing MUCH better at his position than the next best guy. He has 1,518 rushing yards, 424 more than the next best RB. That's 38% better than the next best guy in the league. He has 17 rushing TDs, 5 more--or 42% better than the next best guy. He's got 270 carries, but his yards/carry is better than everyone else with at least 150. The next best yards per carry for a RB with at least 200 carries is Dalvin Cook, who just hit the carries tonight, and is at 4.9 ypc; Taylor's at 5.6--so that's 14.3% more than the next best guy. So this isn't a guy playing a little better than his peers, it';s a guy playing 15-42% better than the next best human at his position.

2) His team's success lives and dies with him. Indy is 8-0 when Taylor has 100 yards and 0-6 when he doesn't. No exceptions. His team has won 5 of its last 6, and that corresponds with a time in which Taylor rushed for at least 140 yards 4 times (of the 5 wins).

3) He's got a couple big moments like you need to win the Heisman or the MVP--most noticeably sealing the game against the #1 seed in the conference after they charged back to cut a 17-point lead to 3 points.

4) Lack of obvious choice among QBs. Who is REALLY having a "more valuable" season among QBs competing against each other. A statistical case that includes team success could be made for Mahomes, Brady, Stafford, Rodgers... for instance Rodgers is 10th in yards (missed a game), while Brady, Mahomes, Stafford, and Herbert are top 5. Rodgers is 5th in TDs, again behind Brady, Stafford, and Herbert. Rodgers is #1 in passer rating, at least, slightly ahead of Stafford. Rodgers trails Stafford in "QBR"

What I'm saying is there IS a case there. It's not so easy as "he has 2 fewer wins and is a RB"

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Taylor is not winning MVP.

He won't have the numbers to win it, QB is a more valuable position and Rodgers is having a greater year.

Sorry Yoho.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Rodgers missed a game - you comment like just doesn't matter or his fault - which is a better argument for an MVP award.

Still you miss the fact he has no oline, he still has the same receivers outside DAdams - a group who did nothing when Rodgers missed a game. He played and beat the number 1 team in the league at the time with no receivers.

He is playing injured.

Doing all that he is still the best QB in the league and the packers are leading the league.

DO you watch the games? Do you see the throws? do you see the pocket play?

Try to enjoy it because soon we will have can't read a field Love throwing picks every week.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
20 Dec 2021 22:33

He won't have the numbers to win it, QB is a more valuable position…

Sorry Yoho.
Yeah that’s probably true. He’s fourth in Vegas odds and they know what they’re doing. I’m just saying he’d be MY vote right now, and it’s fluid, and there’s a case for it. I’m not making a prediction or worrying about how others would vote. I’m saying this is how I would, and why.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Dec 2021 07:41
bud fox wrote:

Sorry Yoho.
Yeah that’s probably true. He’s fourth in Vegas odds and they know what they’re doing. I’m just saying he’d be MY vote right now, and it’s fluid, and there’s a case for it. I’m not making a prediction or worrying about how others would vote. I’m saying this is how I would, and why.
I think Taylor can win it. He needs a split QB vote. Say Brady and Rodgers each get equal votes. Next, he needs to do a little more to hit the national radar. Eclipse 2,000 yards, for example. Peterson had a great year in 2012, but rode a hot December to the award. Taylor can't cool off at all. If he stays hot, he just may run away with MVP if voters are not sold on one QB over another.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
21 Dec 2021 07:44

I think Taylor can win it. He needs a split QB vote. Say Brady and Rodgers each get equal votes. Next, he needs to do a little more to hit the national radar. Eclipse 2,000 yards, for example. Peterson had a great year in 2012, but rode a hot December to the award. Taylor can't cool off at all. If he stays hot, he just may run away with MVP if voters are not sold on one QB over another.
I think he needs to hit 2000 yards in 16 games, not 17. And yeah, the split QB vote too

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If Brady whimpers into the close, I could definitely see some of the voters considering the whole vaccination thing and maybe vote Taylor if it’s close enough because of that.

However it should be noted Taylor isn’t even 3rd in the odds yet. He is 4th behind Mahomes. KC now the #1 seed, which seems to matter a lot, so he needs a really really really hot close to even be in real consideration.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
21 Dec 2021 08:01
If Brady whimpers into the close, I could definitely see some of the voters considering the whole vaccination thing and maybe vote Taylor if it’s close enough because of that.

However it should be noted Taylor isn’t even 3rd in the odds yet. He is 4th behind Mahomes. KC now the #1 seed, which seems to matter a lot, so he needs a really really really hot close to even be in real consideration.
I can totally see Mahomes going ape the final games and voters giving it to him. People are so hard up to make Mahomes the next greatest thing and his struggles this year have been frustrating for them. Needless to say, there will be a lot of people not happy with whoever ends up with the MVP this year.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
21 Dec 2021 08:16
BF004 wrote:
21 Dec 2021 08:01

I can totally see Mahomes going ape the final games and voters giving it to him. People are so hard up to make Mahomes the next greatest thing and his struggles this year have been frustrating for them. Needless to say, there will be a lot of people not happy with whoever ends up with the MVP this year.
Just a quick glance, but Mahomes doesn't look like he has the schedule to rip off a huge finish.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
21 Dec 2021 07:44
YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Dec 2021 07:41
bud fox wrote:

Sorry Yoho.
really, is there any benefit for the GB Packers if Rodgers wins MVP? not imo, it wont raise his compensation value when we trade him, and would improve HIS bargaining power to ask for more money from us should we try and retain him.

IMO he probably deserves the award as much as any other QB, but I've felt other positional players over the years deserved the award just as much as the QB's who won it, Pederson won it 9 years ago, but it has turned into a QB award, the award has become a personal achievement thing versus most valuable team player award, I know a fine line separates the two, but imo the award should go to the player who most helped there team, and obviously that is most often the QB, or a RB, there production is more easily seen, the last time a defensive player won it some of our forum members where a glimmer in there pappy's eye :rotf: Lawrence Taylor back in 1986, 35 years ago, 1982 saw the award go to Mark Mosely a Kicker, those type selections imo align more with the meaning of the award, problem is those great defensive players, scorers have to compete with the more glamorous positions like QB. as great a player as Aaron Donald has been, he didn't stand a chance of getting a MVP when up against Mahomes in 2018.

rant over.