Green Bay Packers News 2022

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Your current 2022 under contract Green Bay Packers (by my count)

image.png
image.png (31.47 KiB) Viewed 922 times

Initial thoughts, Defense as it stands, even with losing 1 Smith, looks like it could be really good.

Definitely need some ILB help, whether that be Campbell coming back or another cheap FA stop gap just to get someone there.

DL needs some depth for sure, wonder if they can get Lancaster back for real cheap. Dean had his best year in a while.

Secondary has 4 set starters and some depth, be amazing if they can get Rasul back.

Offense line should be better next year than this. I think we know Jenkins can likely be all-pro caliber at RT, but given I think we keep Turner one more year, with Jenkins, Myers and JRJ kind of locked into the middle 3, I wonder if they maybe make a bigger push to get Royce Newman to play tackle next year. He played RT at Ohio State.

RB definitely looks set.

WR is a lost puppy, Cobb shouldn't be back with his salary, need a few pieces there and have little money to work with.

TE, unsure, can't imagine Lewis is back if Aaron is gone. Hate having spent two 3rd rounders there in the last 3 years and really have nothing to work with.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
24 Jan 2022 13:28
Drj820 wrote:
24 Jan 2022 13:24
i honestly dont know if Lafluer and company will just submit to a "rebuild" and awful year considering the talent we still will have on the roster, if they just flat out dont think Love can play.

No brainer hand the keys to Love if they think he can play. Happily endure the growing pains.

But if their gut says he cant...I think its a very real possibility they bring in someone to compete with him.

We may be resigned to a year of struggles, lafleur may not be.
Coaches always try to win with what they have. But can only work with what you have. This isn't necessarily a bottom of the league roster, even without Rodgers and Adams. Not great, but not 0-17. But there is no one else out there that is going to give you a huge difference in wins over what Love will give. At least not enough to possibly set back building towards something more in '23 and 24.

If Love doesn't work out, we'll draft someone new or worry about a free agent after '22.
wish we could have groomed Love another year, but I don't see that happening now, I agree I think Love will start and we will be a run first offense, imo we have been building towards that for several years, got a bruiser RB, bigger OL, and took a HB with Dequora, among down field blocking WR's, keep or even improve talent on defense, hire a bone i fide ST's coach and roll on. the year Rodgers started Ted took 2 QB's in the draft, the expensive one sucked, but the 7th rounder became a good backup, sounds like a plan to me :dunno:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jan 2022 13:21
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
24 Jan 2022 13:11
Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Jan 2022 12:13
Personally, I think it is either Love or a QB we draft. I do not think we bring in a veteran. Bite the bullet and rebuild.
I'd be quite surprised if they brought in a veteran (well, unless Love implodes in training camp).

IMO, better to just keep churning young QBs if Love isn't the answer instead of slogging along with a washed-up or never-was veteran.
I think there is value if you bring on a smart veteran QB who can do that "coaching" role. But I don't know who is all out there that fits that role any longer.
Possibly Ryan Fitzpatrick, but he's cursed. Everyone who plays ahead of him gets hurt. I have no idea if Colt McCoy, Marcus Mariota, Jacoby Brissett, or Chase Daniel could take on the role of teacher. Trevor Siemian might be available, too.

A counterpoint to this would be what they did with Favre and Rodgers: They gave both of them young backups.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Would not be surprised at all if Hackett, Adams, and AR all ended up in Denver. But the Packers will not just let Adams walk for a 2023 3rd rounder, they will tag and trade. Denver has the ammunition to trade for both AR and Adams, though.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Jan 2022 14:58
Would not be surprised at all if Hackett, Adams, and AR all ended up in Denver. But the Packers will not just let Adams walk for a 2023 3rd rounder, they will tag and trade. Denver has the ammunition to trade for both AR and Adams, though.
You've read what it'll take to tag him, right? Not happening.
RIP JustJeff

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Jan 2022 12:11
This may need a new thread, but what do we expect the plan to be for QB in 2022.

Hand the keys to Love to be the starter?
Bring in a veteran to compete such as an andy dalton, nick foles level guy?
In the trade for Rodgers, try to get back a player that can be a starter in 2022. Tannehill, Carr, Tua, Jameis etc etc ?

Any predictions, thoughts?
I've started a new thread twice but never submitted because I don't know if I want to maintain it. Basically I wanted to edit the O.P. with every single option that people post, so we can have a running list. And maybe make a poll with unlimited selections that we can edit over time too.

Just somewhere to see and evaluate all options, if Rodgers moves on.

I still want Rodgers but the way it ended I think makes it less likely he will return, although I still think it is more likely than not he comes back. But if he reads the comments from Packer fans, that might actually tip him away from returning.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
24 Jan 2022 14:13
Possibly Ryan Fitzpatrick, but he's cursed. Everyone who plays ahead of him gets hurt. I have no idea if Colt McCoy, Marcus Mariota, Jacoby Brissett, or Chase Daniel could take on the role of teacher. Trevor Siemian might be available, too.

A counterpoint to this would be what they did with Favre and Rodgers: They gave both of them young backups.
BF didn't need a veteran. He didn't even know what a nickel defense was in 1992 and the game came naturally to him. AR wowed in practice with his throws the first mini camp. He took a couple years to settle in fully but was already in year 4 when he started.

Love would benefit a lot from a veteran backup in year 3. The game is still waayyy too fast for him. I heard AR interviewed a few weeks ago and he talked about the top QBs reading defenses from the front back and inside out and that it comes with experience. Look at Love's eyes, he still reads defenses back to front (starting with safetys) and outside in.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

When does Jaire's contract come up? I don't remember extending him?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

packman114 wrote:
24 Jan 2022 15:09
2023. We haven't yet. But will.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

packman114 wrote:
24 Jan 2022 15:09
He is playing next year on his 5th year option.

I think roughly 13.3 million if I recall.

Actually somewhere we could probably save 3-6 million by extending him.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

So Douglas said he would play Safety today? Do we let Amos go then? I actually thought Amos played better than Savage this year. Love have too many players in the secondary.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

packman114 wrote:
24 Jan 2022 15:27
So Douglas said he would play Safety today? Do we let Amos go then? I actually thought Amos played better than Savage this year. Love have too many players in the secondary.
I would be more likely to extend Amos than cut him. He too, with about 7.9 million in salary and bonuses, could probably save 2-3 million with an extension.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I want to resign Douglas, extend Amos and Alexander and then look at drafting a 3rd safety to either groom into Savage's replacement if he doesn't click or be that 3rd safety. I want that Budah Baker or Jeremy Chinn role you can seem to draft in the 2nd round a lot of times.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
24 Jan 2022 15:00
wallyuwl wrote:
24 Jan 2022 14:58
You've read what it'll take to tag him, right? Not happening.
no one wants to believe we allowed the bestes WR the team has had since the Lofton years to get away for a comp pick, it's not fathomable :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Jan 2022 15:06
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
24 Jan 2022 14:13

BF didn't need a veteran. He didn't even know what a nickel defense was in 1992 and the game came naturally to him. AR wowed in practice with his throws the first mini camp. He took a couple years to settle in fully but was already in year 4 when he started.

Love would benefit a lot from a veteran backup in year 3. The game is still waayyy too fast for him. I heard AR interviewed a few weeks ago and he talked about the top QBs reading defenses from the front back and inside out and that it comes with experience. Look at Love's eyes, he still reads defenses back to front (starting with safetys) and outside in.
I've heard some pretty smart football people discuss the progression of QB's over the years, one thing they said sticks with me, and that is it is near impossible to forecast when certain parts of the pro game will slow down for any particular player, Favre drove Holmgren nuts for a few seasons, but his ability over came his faults so ya have to play him, still he threw plenty of picks right till the end, Dumb stuff we never saw from Rodgers.

I'd be great to let Love sit and learn, but I have my doubts that will happen.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Not going to post it all because I'm on my phone. But MLF is saying all the "right" stuff to get Rodgers back.

Him, Gutey, and Murphy all want him back.
No rebuild.
Want Rodgers to be comfortable with team and plan.
Cap is fake and we can keep everyone he wants (major paraphrase).
Love has room to improve.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jan 2022 15:46
Yeah I want to resign Douglas, extend Amos and Alexander and then look at drafting a 3rd safety to either groom into Savage's replacement if he doesn't click or be that 3rd safety. I want that Budah Baker or Jeremy Chinn role you can seem to draft in the 2nd round a lot of times.
how does Savage go from a ball hawking safety to what we saw this season? probably different scheme assignments, and stuff he hadn't done before, I doubt we see next year the Savage we saw this year.

we need to figure a way to keep Campbell, he was a key player that improved our defense probably as much or more then most others on the unit, Douglas and Amos too.

I'd like to find another interior pass rusher, lots of draft sites have us taking a big DT with our first pick.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

paco wrote:
24 Jan 2022 16:03
Not going to post it all because I'm on my phone. But MLF is saying all the "right" stuff to get Rodgers back.

No rebuild.
This is what I expect.

I don't really believe the people here talking about cap doomsday, because every time there have ever been cap problems, it seems like we (or every other team) finds a way to make it work with some magic.

I mean yeah we might let go of Z or Preston Smith or someone good, but I am optimistic they'll be able to figure out some crazy solution if we want another go at it next year.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
24 Jan 2022 16:07
paco wrote:
24 Jan 2022 16:03

No rebuild.
This is what I expect.

I don't really believe the people here talking about cap doomsday, because every time there have ever been cap problems, it seems like we (or every other team) finds a way to make it work with some magic.

I mean yeah we might let go of Z or Preston Smith or someone good, but I am optimistic they'll be able to figure out some crazy solution if we want another go at it next year.
I think it's good to fantasize once in a while, it beats reality :rotf: