Rank the Roster 2020: #21

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 02 Jun 2020 08:41

Jamaal Williams
12%
Billy Turner
29%
Devin Funchess
24%
Oren Burks
No votes
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
AJ Dillon
35%
Ka'Dar Hollman
No votes
Kingsley Keke
No votes
Raven Greene
No votes
Robert Tonyan
No votes
Josiah Deguara
No votes
Jon Runyan
No votes
Tyler Lancaster
No votes
Marcedes Lewis
No votes
Lane Taylor
No votes

Total votes: 17

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2020: #21

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2020 Edition

1. Aaron Rodgers (48%)[--]
2. Za'Darius Smith (70%)[+5]
3. Aaron Jones (43%)[+3]
4. Davante Adams (45%)[--]
5. David Bakhtiari (59%)[-3]
6. Kenny Clark (100%)[-3]
7. Jaire Alexander (74%)[-2]
8. Preston Smith (58%)[+5]
9. Elgton Jenkins (75%)[+15]
10. Kevin King (47%)[+4]
11. Adrian Amos (78%)[-1]
12. Corey Linsley (63%)[-1]
13. Christian Kirksey (56%)[FA]
14. Darnell Savage (81%)[+2]
15. Rick Wagner (38%)[FA]
16. Jace Sternberger (44%)[+16]
17. Rashan Gary (47%)[+3]
18. Alan Lazard (54%)[+27]
19. Dean Lowry (31%)[+3]
20. Chandon Sullivan (50%)[+25]
21. Current

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2019 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll.

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 10 guys, a new player is added to the list each day).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Geez, list is looking like slim pickings now. The best of the backups vs the worst of the starters. Unsettled positions

Burks vs Martin

Turner vs Taylor vs Runyan

Funchess vs EQSB

Williams vs Dillon

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

I'm going to vote Turner. I hope somebody takes his spot but they will have to be markedly better to jump into the spot.
I'd like to get Swervin Ervin on the list.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Waldo wrote:
01 Jun 2020 08:45
Geez, list is looking like slim pickings now. The best of the backups vs the worst of the starters.
That is what typically happens when you are 21 deep on the roster. :lol:

In all seriousness, it is time for the Sauce to get recognized for the start of his march to 2021 starting RB. ;) :banana:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

didnt realize how low everyone thinks of jamaal williams lol. I mean billy turner over Jamaal? :idn:
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Jun 2020 09:11
didnt realize how low everyone thinks of jamaal williams lol. I mean billy turner over Jamaal? :idn:
That is what happens when you are the third RB on the depth chart........ 8-)

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Packfntk wrote:
01 Jun 2020 09:14
Drj820 wrote:
didnt realize the depth chart was out yet. :lol:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Im going with Dillon again. I think he ends up with more total yards than our #2 WR. Bold prediction.

Billy Turner IMO is one of the worst things to happen to the Packers in FA since... well Jimmy Graham... another massive FA failure by Gutey. But if you exclude Graham this is the worse signing in over a decade. Billy Turner should be paying the Packers for the opportunity to still be in the league. Hes late off the ball pretty consistently and as a pass blocker he is the clear worst on the line.

I think the Packers really believe in Burks. They moved up for him and hes gotten some bad breaks on injuries. Martin was probably an insurance policy for the Packers but Im betting they make Burks the guy this season. He will be my next pick after Dillon is selected. I would vote for the ghost of Dumbarious Randall before I ever voted for Turner.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

my problem with burks and what makes me think he will never become much at the ILB position is that he seems to lack situational awareness. He always seems very late to diagnose plays, and seems wrong often. All of that has nothing to do with injury. He seems to be very quality on ST when he can just do an assigned job and not worry about the diagnostic work that comes with the ILB position. If something just "clicks" and he can improve that by a ton, he can be something in this league. But the clock is ticking...

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Jun 2020 10:32
my problem with burks and what makes me think he will never become much at the ILB position is that he seems to lack situational awareness. He always seems very late to diagnose plays, and seems wrong often. All of that has nothing to do with injury. He seems to be very quality on ST when he can just do an assigned job and not worry about the diagnostic work that comes with the ILB position. If something just "clicks" and he can improve that by a ton, he can be something in this league. But the clock is ticking...
I agree with a lot of this, but I am still optimistic. The awareness part, although partly instinctual, comes with snaps and he just hasn't played them, yet.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
01 Jun 2020 10:28
Im going with Dillon again. I think he ends up with more total yards than our #2 WR. Bold prediction.

Billy Turner IMO is one of the worst things to happen to the Packers in FA since... well Jimmy Graham... another massive FA failure by Gutey. But if you exclude Graham this is the worse signing in over a decade. Billy Turner should be paying the Packers for the opportunity to still be in the league. Hes late off the ball pretty consistently and as a pass blocker he is the clear worst on the line.

I think the Packers really believe in Burks. They moved up for him and hes gotten some bad breaks on injuries. Martin was probably an insurance policy for the Packers but Im betting they make Burks the guy this season. He will be my next pick after Dillon is selected. I would vote for the ghost of Dumbarious Randall before I ever voted for Turner.
if we cut Turner today he'd be gigged up by tomorrow and probably the penciled in starter to boot, and of course you'd vote for Randall, he's a better then average safety, where starting to see your true love for Teddy T now, absence does increase fondness after all :rotf:

I know I was shot down concerning the degree of difficulty it is to start quickly at ILB if asked to do more then just defend the run, run plugging ILB's are a dime a doz, players that can do both techs are harder to find and also need more coaching up, I wouldn't be surprised to see Burks take the job and do well, in fact I tend to expect it.

Turner today, Williams, and Funchess, then I think Dillon, we play far to much play action and audible for Dillon to see a lot of touches other then pure run sets, Dillon will be our 2020 short yardage banger.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Jun 2020 09:33
Packfntk wrote:
01 Jun 2020 09:14
Drj820 wrote:
didnt realize the depth chart was out yet. :lol:
Oh, you didn't get the memo? I am now in charge of handling that for MLF. Handed over the keys the other day. Everything will be JUST FINNNNNE moving forward. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I went with Dillon. He will get 1000 yards this season. :) (so will Jones).

As for Turner, he may be the most likely starter but his chances of being the starter in November are slim. There are 4 or 5 interior linemen who want his job and 1 of them will take it.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Rolling the dice with Funchess. WR3 is gonna play a lot, and I'm hoping for Funchess to be that and also a red zone asset.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Its between EQ, Funchess, MVS and Dillon for me.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Top-20 Sully is Top-20 -- YEE! (lol he better not let me down now tho)

Uhh, hmm... I could potentially see Turner being overtaken, but not really. We are not paying him that money to ride the bench. I sure don't see Lane Taylor overtaking him. Taylor looked DONE to my eyes. Runyan may have a shot but I think they will keep him at T before moving him inside.

Turner is not very good, but honestly, after the halfway point of the season, I did not think he was playing too badly. I think he's still the favorite to start there by a comfortable margin.

Jamaal is a fine 3DRB but that is a very niche role we're talking about, and I expect his touches to go down from last year with Dillon and Ervin in the fold (both of whom are a lot more dangerous with the ball).

Funchess as a FA and EQSB coming off of IR are pretty big wild-cards. As is Dillon, a rookie. I could see any one of them outplay their placement here, or buried on the depth-chart (although that seems less likely for Dillon).

So it's between Turner and Dillon for me here...
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I voted for Jamaal Williams. I was one of the very first people on the Aaron Jones bandwagon. I even took him in FF his rookie year. That being said, JW outplayed him in like 1/3 of games last year. Jamaal has some degree of JAG, but if so then he's a better JAG than any JAG we have had in a long time (Lacy was not JAG imo)

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Thinking about the criteria of "next best player", this tier is really hard to figure.

Funchess - Slightly above average receiver when healthy?
Turner - Barely starter quality?
Dillon - Can he transition well to the pros?
JWill - Will his lack of quickness doom him?

I went Funchess for now, but I could be persuaded to change my vote.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Wise Choice PH.com, Wise Choice.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk wrote:
02 Jun 2020 10:12
Wise Choice PH.com, Wise Choice.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Billy likely to play every snap this year. Can’t imagine anyone having the contribution he will likely have.

Definitely not sure I get voting RB3 ahead of him.