Packers signing Devin Funchess

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
26 Mar 2020 11:51
Too lazy to look up his stats, but I seem to remember he had his issues with drops, as well.
39th in catch %:
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/rece ... percentage

Foxsports credits him with only 2 drops:
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?sea ... r=0&page=4

I wouldn't say that is an issue with drops. I did agreed with BF that his hands need to get better though. Too many double clutches.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly, 23? You're going with a snow game to show a player getting open? We all know offenses have a HUGE advantage in snow, knowing where they're going while defenders react.

You're not wrong that Lazard seems to have picked up a little speed while losing weight... I think he plays like a guy in the 4.5s, which is what he ran. I think Adams plays far faster than his time in the 4.5s which is what he ran. I think EQSB plays a bit slower than a 4.48, and is more like Lazard--at least in the short-to-intermediate range.

But saying he's "not fast" and "doesn't play faster than his time" is a perfectly acceptable take. And using a snow-drenched field to illustrate that is pretty weak.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Mar 2020 12:24
Honestly, 23? You're going with a snow game to show a player getting open? We all know offenses have a HUGE advantage in snow, knowing where they're going while defenders react.
There are limited videos of Lazard and all of Packers.com won't load. That said, it isn't about the cut and reaction, it is about Beathea running behind Lazard trying to catchup, which he was not catching up, AS I SAID... I posted 2 videos as well, did you miss the first?
You're not wrong that Lazard seems to have picked up a little speed while losing weight... I think he plays like a guy in the 4.5s, which is what he ran. I think Adams plays far faster than his time in the 4.5s which is what he ran. I think EQSB plays a bit slower than a 4.48, and is more like Lazard--at least in the short-to-intermediate range.

But saying he's "not fast" and "doesn't play faster than his time" is a perfectly acceptable take. And using a snow-drenched field to illustrate that is pretty weak.
I think he plays like a guy at about 4.5 as well. That's not a detriment to a WR. I can't say if ESB plays faster or slower than his timed 40, he hasn't really played... Adams is very technically sound and has picked up the tricks of the trade.

No, it is not acceptable to say he doesn't play as fast as his time without any proof what so ever. It's lazy, just like it's lazy to watch a video and not read the description of what someone is trying to point out.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 26 Mar 2020 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Hey Fuchess is a massive guy, slow, and suspect hands...Gutey has a type, what can i say!

And to follow the trends of this years offseason FA pickups, he also spend all last season hurt.
Last edited by Drj820 on 26 Mar 2020 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 12:34
YoHoChecko wrote:
There are limited videos of Lazard and all of Packers.com won't load. That said, it isn't about the cut and reaction, it is about Beathea running behind Lazard trying to catchup, which he was not catching up, AS I SAID...

I think he plays like a guy at about 4.5 as well. That's not a detriment to a WR.

No, it is not acceptable to say he doesn't play as fast as his time without any proof what so ever. It's lazy, just like it's lazy to watch a video and not read the description of what someone is trying to point out.
high 4.5's basically is 4.6 plus in pads, lis, and Yoho just confirmed if he and Adams clock the same someone needs a new clock, you can defend Lazard till hell freezes over, he is still on most routes easily single covered, only his catch radius allows him to win, so again, why do we want a guy like that as our number two? you argue simply for the sack of arguing

ya I'am 72 and a bit to lazy to go digging up anything to argue with you.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lazard is certainly slow for an NFL WR. Doesnt make him a bad WR per say, but speed is certainly not a club in his bag. Pretty much every big catch i remember right now off the top of my head from him last year he had no more than one step on the defender, some like the catch in game 2 against the lions he had no steps...he just uses his body well to block off defenders and hauled in balls that the rest of the Bozos outside of Adams dropped.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
26 Mar 2020 12:44
Pckfn23 wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
There are limited videos of Lazard and all of Packers.com won't load. That said, it isn't about the cut and reaction, it is about Beathea running behind Lazard trying to catchup, which he was not catching up, AS I SAID...

I think he plays like a guy at about 4.5 as well. That's not a detriment to a WR.

high 4.5's basically is 4.6 plus in pads, lis, and Yoho just confirmed if he and Adams clock the same someone needs a new clock, you can defend Lazard till hell freezes over, he is still on most routes easily single covered, only his catch radius allows him to win, so again, why do we want a guy like that as our number two? you argue simply for the sack of arguing

Lazard ran a 4.55, not basically a 4.6. And yes EVERYONE goes from no pads to pads, so that point is absolutely pointless.

Yoho didn't confirm anything. He said Adams looks like he plays faster. I agree because Adams is very sound in his game and has picked up the little things that make the game faster. It looks like Lazard plays up to his post 40 time if not a bit faster. He's got some things to improve upon, however.

Please knock off accusing others of arguing for the sake of arguing. That is complete nonsense and there is zero need to say it. Yet another thing you are bringing other that needs to stay in the old forum. I am not arguing for the sake of arguing, I am making that case that Lazard can be a decent #2 receiver if he continues to progress. Nothing else, so knock it off.

If there isn't evidence to support what is said, then one should not expect to be taken seriously.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 26 Mar 2020 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 12:53
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Lazard ran a 4.55, not basically a 4.6. And yes EVERYONE goes from no pads to pads, so that point is absolutely pointless.

Yoho didn't confirm anything. He said Adams looks like he plays faster. I agree because Adams is very sound in his game and has picked up the little things that make the game faster. It looks like Lazard plays up to his post 40 time if not a bit faster. He's got somethings to improve upon however.

Please knock off accusing other of arguing for the sake of arguing. That is complete nonsense and there is zero need to say it. Yet another thing you are bring other that needs to stay in the old forum. I am not arguing for the sake of arguing, I am making that case that Lazard can be a decent #2 receiver if he continues to progress. Nothing else, so knock it off.

If there isn't evidence to support what is said, then one should not expect to be taken seriously.
So we talking decent WR in like 2 or 3 years after he gets some serious development under his belt, or you want him to be WR2 in the 2020 season with our aging QB?

I for one hope we find an upgrade somewhere and Lazard becomes a WR3 or 4.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 12:47
lazard is certainly slow for an NFL WR.
There is a perception that if a WR doesn't sun 4.45 or better that he too is slow to be good. Everyone wants them to run faster because it helps, but it is not necessary. There was a tweet that went around a few months ago that listed the top 10 WRs in the league and their 40 time. Basically there was no correlation (outside of running better than a 4.7). Take these two guys for example: Michael Thomas and Antonio Brown. Both ran a 4.57 at the combine. While a limited study did find 4.48 is the average for a receiver and thus you could say Lazard, Thomas, Brown are all slow for NFL WRs, it doesn't mean a heck of a lot (as you pointed out).
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 26 Mar 2020 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 12:56
So we talking decent WR in like 2 or 3 years after he gets some serious development under his belt, or you want him to be WR2 in the 2020 season with our aging QB?

I for one hope we find an upgrade somewhere and Lazard becomes a WR3 or 4.
I would love that too! Draft a WR in this draft that takes over the #2 spot and pushes Lazard to a #3 would be a dream scenario to me.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 12:59
Drj820 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 12:47
lazard is certainly slow for an NFL WR.
There is a perception that if a WR doesn't sun 4.45 or better that he too is slow to be good. Everyone wants them to run faster because it helps, but it is not necessary. There was a tweet that went around a few months ago that listed the top 10 WRs in the league and their 40 time. Basically there was no correlation (outside of running better than a 4.7). Take these two guys for example: Michael Thomas and Antonio Brown. Both ran a 4.57 at the combine. While a limited study did find 4.48 is the average for a receiver and thus you could say Lazard, Thomas, Brown are all slow for NFL WRs, it doesn't mean a heck of a lot (as you pointed out).
Yeah i see it as an important tool in a WRs bag, but just one tool of many. I dont think he has the tool, but that DOES NOT mean he is not capable of success as an nfl WR.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

You can't just look at speed and make judgments. Quickness, agility, acceleration, etc. all go hand-in-hand in determining whether a guy is a good enough athlete or not. In Lazard's case, I do think he lacks a lot as an athlete, but I also still think he is adequate.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 12:53
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Yoho didn't confirm anything. He said Adams looks like he plays faster. I agree because Adams is very sound in his game and has picked up the little things that make the game faster. It looks like Lazard plays up to his post 40 time if not a bit faster. He's got some things to improve upon, however.

Please knock off accusing others of arguing for the sake of arguing. That is complete nonsense and there is zero need to say it. Yet another thing you are bringing other that needs to stay in the old forum. I am not arguing for the sake of arguing, I am making that case that Lazard can be a decent #2 receiver if he continues to progress. Nothing else, so knock it off.

lis, He does not play fast, and he bobbles balls thrown to him, when you watch him there isn't anything fast to see, and just because Beathea played him poorly and lost the leverage out of the break doesn't make Lazard fast, it makes him lucky, the point is this, Lazard does not make our passing game better because he will not draw double coverage, he will not make it easier for other receivers, so for him to be our #2 is basically status quo to last year.

I think your upset with my upsettedness, no kidding, I know I get on peoples nerves at times, specially you, but thats because of your nerdedness, lighten up, seriously. :lol:

as I said, I'am sick and tired of waiting on this draft and develop approach to improving the WR group because it's basically been a failure unless developing a very average Lazard is the goal, it's not mine, and it shouldn't be Guty's either, It wasn't Thompsons either till he lost his edge

I'am convinced now that the best way for us to win the tough games is to surround Rodgers with the best group of receivers we can get him, I use to think having the greatest defense was, but I'am going back to what has worked best for us in the past, one of the most potent passing attacks in the league, thats what we need again.
Last edited by Yoop on 26 Mar 2020 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
26 Mar 2020 16:04
Why I thought it could change, I have no idea... My case is stated, let's move on.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
26 Mar 2020 13:25
You can't just look at speed and make judgments. Quickness, agility, acceleration, etc. all go hand-in-hand in determining whether a guy is a good enough athlete or not. In Lazard's case, I do think he lacks a lot as an athlete, but I also still think he is adequate.
I agree, he's adequate as a #3 or 4 receiver.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Just gonna throw this out there...

If you’re including in your post a statement like: LIS/I’ve said it before/my position has been clear/you’ve heard me say this before/I’ve said it a million times/etc then perhaps you need not say it...again.

Repeating your same points over and over quickly becomes clutter. Make your point(s) and if there is nothing left to expound upon then perhaps pressing the “Respond” button is not really necessary...??

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Alright guys, the verdict is in. My friend who knows everything about football said Funchess was way underrated in Carolina and is a great pickup for us.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

texas wrote:
27 Mar 2020 02:12
Alright guys, the verdict is in. My friend who knows everything about football said Funchess was way underrated in Carolina and is a great pickup for us.
Well, in that case....
:woohoo: :banana: :banana: :banana: :beer2: :beer2: :rodeo: :lombardi: :grin: :beer: :jam: :dance: :dance: :dance: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

texas wrote:
27 Mar 2020 02:12
:lombardi: :lombardi: :lombardi: :lombardi: :lombardi: