The Packers Defense is Awesome...Except

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Honestly, the real mistake was not acquiring Hyde and/or Randall at a time when we did not "need" them but holding onto Burnett for that long. He may have been well-liked within the organization but he was barely above-average if that. We should have moved on from him sooner, and then had Hyde take the SS role or moved Haha to that spot with Randall at FS.

That said, we were also having issues at CB at the time, due to Shields' untimely injury and Hayward being let go of too soon, so it was kinda hard to move those two to S given the holes that desperately needed to be plugged at corner.

Or, going further back than that, Collins' untimely injury, as well as letting Woodson walk when he still had a few quality years left in the tank if we had moved him to the vacant S spot.

The bad luck and mismanagement of that defense, particularly the secondary, really was a travesty that would reverberate for years to come. Sad, really...
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Why wasn't he getting more snaps at the end of the year?

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Labrev wrote:
12 Jun 2020 16:41
Honestly, the real mistake was not acquiring Hyde and/or Randall at a time when we did not "need" them but holding onto Burnett for that long. He may have been well-liked within the organization but he was barely above-average if that. We should have moved on from him sooner, and then had Hyde take the SS role or moved Haha to that spot with Randall at FS.

That said, we were also having issues at CB at the time, due to Shields' untimely injury and Hayward being let go of too soon, so it was kinda hard to move those two to S given the holes that desperately needed to be plugged at corner.

Or, going further back than that, Collins' untimely injury, as well as letting Woodson walk when he still had a few quality years left in the tank if we had moved him to the vacant S spot.

The bad luck and mismanagement of that defense, particularly the secondary, really was a travesty that would reverberate for years to come. Sad, really...
Safety needed addressed for years, but we were complacent with Burnett. He was average-above average on a good day. HaHa isn't a lot to talk about either, so. I definitely think we should have kept Hyde. And certainly should have gave Randall a shot at safety.

Keep in mind Hayward was not playing to what he did after going to the Chargers. The drafting of Randall and Rollins, and how well they played in their first year also made Hayward expendable. It was the right move at the time, but it absolutely blew up in our face. I can chalk this up to bad luck.

Woodson did play safety for us at the end, more so because he was showing his age at CB. Nobody was anticipating Woodson going back to Oakland and showing us up. He looked slower and slower by the day here. Woodson found the elixir of life after moving back to Oakland. Right move at the time, once again.. bad luck.

I think it all went downhill when Collins got hurt. Ted/Dom just really couldn't get anything to gel after that.

There was some mismanagement, but there was a lot of "did that really just happen" after moving on from a couple of guys.... just plain ol' bad luck.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
19 Jun 2020 15:29

Why wasn't he getting more snaps at the end of the year?
That actually seems to be a common theme on the defense. A lot of younger bodies that I would hope to get more snaps than they do, but we continue to play the same guys until their legs fall off.

KeKe (94 snaps)
Adams (187)
Gary (244)
Summers (0)
Jackson (103)
Greene (70)

I wanted to see more of Keke. Adams, just must not get it. Gary had his moments that warranted more playing time. I can't believe Summers didn't get a single snap on defense, meanwhile Martinez had 1000+ snaps. Martinez was a one man army back there, but Pettine did him no favors. Jackson probably is more cut out for safety, but I was hoping I'd see more of him and less of Williams. Greene, hard to replace Savage and Amos, maybe he can play a hybrid role this year.
RIP JustJeff