Round 1 - Pick #28, Devonte Wyatt, DL Georgia

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
28 Apr 2022 22:27
kampmanfan4life wrote:
28 Apr 2022 22:24
Our D-line is now the best it has been in a long time. We got stronger up the middle of the defense today.
Agreed, and already super solid backfield. Could be the best packers defense in decades
It ought to be, look at all the high picks on defense, it was good last year, so yep, even better, Wyatt is a junk yard dog, our pass rush just got a lot better.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Apr 2022 22:30
Kenny by 2.5 years.
I mean I was in jest.

Clark was already drafted 6 years ago.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
28 Apr 2022 22:39
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Apr 2022 22:30
Kenny by 2.5 years.
I mean I was in jest.

Clark was already drafted 6 years ago.
OH I know, I legitimately wanted to know too. I was surprised it was that close.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
28 Apr 2022 22:38
Clark
Lowry
Reed
Wyatt
TJ Slayton
Lancaster

That is a serious group.
Is Lancaster back?

Either way, point taken.

If Slayton makes a second year jump, look out.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I don't like the pick. Can an old dog learn new tricks? But this is part of what Bleacher Report said...
Screenshot_20220428-224131_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220428-224131_Chrome.jpg (430.03 KiB) Viewed 617 times

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
28 Apr 2022 22:41
go pak go wrote:
Clark
Lowry
Reed
Wyatt
TJ Slayton
Lancaster

That is a serious group.
Is Lancaster back?

Either way, point taken.

I don't see any Tyler Lancaster "resigning" articles and he isn't on the Roster page on Packers.com
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

go pak go wrote:
28 Apr 2022 22:43
Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Clark
Lowry
Reed
Wyatt
TJ Slayton
Lancaster

That is a serious group.
Is Lancaster back?

Either way, point taken.

I don't see any Tyler Lancaster "resigning" articles and he isn't on the Roster page on Packers.com
I would not be surprised if they bring Lancaster back as a camp body later in the offseason
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Clark
Lowry
Reed
Wyatt
TJ Slayton
Lancaster

That is a serious group.
Is Lancaster back?

Either way, point taken.

if ya can't get pressure against all these up temp hurry up offenses use in big trouble, Wyatt is one of the better rushers in the class, I like the pick

there are still some good receivers, Rodgers might be happy with the situation because he likes a few of the guys left specially since the ones he liked most where gone early, and we might move up in the second for one, Metchie, Pickens, Moore, Pierce.

should have known those top 5 would go fast, the cost of these guys has sky rocketed, and lots of teams need one, probably be the same in round 2.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Gutey says Wyatt’s incidents never involved laying his hands on anyone or hurting anyone, that they don’t have tolerance for that, he was a young guy who made mistakes, and they did a deep dive to make sure they feel good about the person.

I’m cautiously optimistic, I guess?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Apr 2022 22:54
Gutey says Wyatt’s incidents never involved laying his hands on anyone or hurting anyone, that they don’t have tolerance for that, he was a young guy who made mistakes, and they did a deep dive to make sure they feel good about the person.

Packers are not known for adding character issues, as you know, so I do not believe there is any reason not to be optimistic. I believe they did do a deep dive and are fine with what they found.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Apr 2022 22:54

Yeah. I think he just damaged a door. And if it was in college, I bet the door was an interior hollow door.

A girl did that in my house at college too. No arrests were made though. I just don't think it's that big of a deal.

He was of my draft board mainly due to low production, age and being surrounded by surreal talent at Georgia and I always get nervous about those kind of things.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

He definitely seems to be excited to be a Packer and work with Clark. Kenny called him right away.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NFL Draft 2022: What versatile Georgia DT Devonte Wyatt brings to the Packers

ATHENS, GA - OCTOBER 2: Devonte Wyatt #95 celebrates his sack during a game between Arkansas Razorbacks and Georgia Bulldogs at Sanford Stadium on October 2, 2021 in Athens, Georgia. (Photo by Steven Limentani/ISI Photos/Getty Images)
By Seth Emerson
2h ago

Save Article
The key word for Devonte Wyatt, especially for those banking on him becoming a star now for the Green Bay Packers, is trajectory.

Wyatt is the classic case of a player who gradually got better every year he was at Georgia, going from modest high school recruit to high-level NFL prospect:

• As a Georgia freshman, Wyatt was a backup until the Sugar Bowl, when he was inserted into the lineup and blew up, notching seven tackles and two QB pressures against Texas.

• The next year he played a little more, then as a junior, he became a starter.

• And as a senior, he became a force on defense, teaming with fellow defensive linemen Jordan Davis and Travon Walker to make Georgia’s line dominant.

But Georgia’s run defense was dominant even before last season — top two in the nation each year since 2019 — and Wyatt was a part of that. He also always had good raw talent: Head coach Kirby Smart decided he needed to have Wyatt when he heard that Wyatt — then a 240-pound high school junior — ran the 100-yard dash at a track event, even though he wasn’t entered in the race, and still won.

Because he wasn’t a five-star recruit out of high school, and because he wasn’t named All-SEC or one of the biggest names on Georgia’s defense, Wyatt may seem a reach in the draft. But if his career upward trajectory carries into the NFL, the Packers will be glad they took the chance.

Dane Brugler on Devonte Wyatt (No. 1 DL, No. 23 overall prospect in The Beast)
A two-year starter at Georgia, Wyatt played mostly over the B gap as a three-technique in former defensive coordinator Dan Lanning’s 3-4 base scheme, also seeing snaps at nose tackle. He led all Georgia defensive linemen in tackles the last two seasons and took advantage of the extra year of eligibility, enjoying his most complete season in 2021.

With his athletic traits, Wyatt can win in different ways off the ball, displaying initial quickness, lateral range and chase down speed. In the run game, he understands how to leverage gaps and find the ball carrier, although he would benefit from becoming a better finisher. Overall, Wyatt needs to play with better control and play recognition, but he fires off the ball and competes with the speed and effort to make an impact on all three downs. Wyatt has NFL starting skills and is the best three-technique tackle in this draft class.

Top College Highlight
Wyatt had a sack of then-LSU quarterback Joe Burrow in the 2019 SEC Championship Game, which was overshadowed by how the Tigers routed Georgia in the rest of the game. And the best display of his ability may also have come in another SEC championship loss: Wyatt ran down Alabama quarterback Bryce Young from behind and adeptly knocked the ball loose. But Georgia couldn’t hop on the fumble, and Alabama scored a few plays later. Still, it showed what Wyatt could do, and how he didn’t give up on the play even after falling down.

Coachspeak
“Every year he just got better. Got better and better and just continued to work.

“(He’s) fun-loving, doesn’t care if he gets the attention. Works his ass off in practice. I mean this guy runs to the ball relentlessly in practice and it carries over to game day. … Some people consider practice a burden or stress. But he’s wearing a smile out there every day in practice. It’s not just the games for him. He enjoys being around the brotherhood, the other people on the team. I think that really sticks out.” – Dan Lanning, now Oregon’s head coach and Georgia’s defensive coordinator the past three years.

What you may have missed
Wyatt played the most snaps (392) of any Georgia interior linemen this past season, more than Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter, because of his ability to play on all three downs. Wyatt dropped a lot of weight before his final year at Georgia, from 340 pounds down to closer to 300. Lanning said it was because Wyatt “wanted to put himself in closer position to be able to play.” It worked, and shows that he has the flexibility to play multiple inside spots.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

“(He’s) fun-loving, doesn’t care if he gets the attention. Works his ass off in practice. I mean this guy runs to the ball relentlessly in practice and it carries over to game day. … Some people consider practice a burden or stress. But he’s wearing a smile out there every day in practice. It’s not just the games for him. He enjoys being around the brotherhood, the other people on the team. I think that really sticks out.” – Dan Lanning, now Oregon’s head coach and Georgia’s defensive coordinator the past three years.
I like this the best.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I really like this pick. It also quashes the “too old” theory.

A big guy that won a 100 meter race in HS..

I see Wyatt being a real disrupter. Other teams better look out because this will greatly help the edge rushers as Clark and Wyatt collapse the pocket.

I think this will be a big boost for the defense.

Starter day 1. Great pick.
Love is the answer…

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I look forward to Wyatt kicking down the door of opposing teams' offensive lines. Heyo!