COVID and life without sports

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

COVID and life without sports

Post by wallyuwl »

Interested in thoughts on COVID and life without sports. Have you found out that you miss sports? Or not? Or you miss some but not others? Have athletes using the platform provided by their profession/employer to advocate for certain things changed how you view sports or if you miss them? Discuss.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

I did miss them - A LOT. That feeling has slowly dissipated as time has gone on. I have lots of other hobbies to fill the void.

I would be lying if I said the public opinions of most of these athletes isn’t a turn off. 99% of their opinions are based off of uneducated, knee-jerk reactions. Some of them mean well, while some are disingenuous. But they are no more impactful to me then Joe Schmoe’s opinion down the street - the difference is they are applauded and idolized or demonized for them. Just like Hollywood, for me, it’s a major, major turn off and perhaps as the sports lose billions of dollars, they will see a negative affect on their salaries. I think a lot of these athletes need to be put into their place in terms of realizing they are paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a sport and entertain the masses.

That’s just one man’s opinion though.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

I miss listening to the Twins on the am radio while I fish. I miss going to games as well.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I don't miss it as much as I thought I would, tbh. I do think the timing sucked because I was looking forward to seeing the Bucks make a run at a title but other than that, I can't say I miss it terribly. Now, I was never a huge basketball or baseball fan, at least compared to football, so maybe the real hurt will come this fall. For now, though, I have plenty of summer hobbies to keep me occupied.

I agree much with what Gunzaan said about pro sport personalities forcing their opinions upon us. Hollywood personalities, too. Was once a big DeNiro fan but now I don't even want to see him in a movie, let alone hear of his political opinions. Dude has become a narcissistic and egocentric blow-hard...much like how he portrays his favorite target. Irony. :dunno:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I honestly haven't missed it at all.

One time I gave up social media and by the next week I had pretty much forgotten about it. I assume the same would happen with sports, although maybe not with the Packers. I think had this happened during the fall, I would be missing sports a lot more, but corona basically waited until football season was done before coming over. The only other sport I really like is soccer, so we'll see if I start missing that at all.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I've missed baseball games on TV. Most of the time those games were the only thing on the air worth watching. :?

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Good topic. My interest professional sports, and football in particular, has waned over the past few years. The weird thing is that I couldn't tell you exactly why that is. Although the anthem protests never did sit well with me, I didn't consciously decide to watch less because of them. So I cannot say it is all because of the protests, but my interest did drop around the time that they started. Weekends used to be reserved for watching college and professional football but over the past ~3 seasons I've filled the time with other activities. Actually, I think I've become quite a bit more productive.

Funnily enough, many of my friends who supported the protests are saying similar things.

I guess the biggest reason I would miss them is that their return would represent a step back towards normalcy.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Honestly, I thought I'd miss it a lot more than I do.

I don't follow the NBA as much as I used too, so I do miss occasionally watching some games, but I've been fine without it. I do watch the playoffs though. I just recently started following baseball about 3 years ago, just naturally started watching the Brewers because...well... because they're from WI and the Packers are too. So, I'm not heavily invested here either. I don't even pretend to follow the NHL.

Really, the only one I kind of missed was the Masters and the NCAA tourney.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Yes, my production has increased significantly though.
RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

The extra family time has been great. But other than that......... Slowly dying inside without sports. :lol:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
30 Jun 2020 14:09
The extra family time has been great. But other than that......... Slowly dying inside without sports. :lol:
Same. Missing NCAA Tournament sucked. Not an NBA fan anymore, but cool to watch the Bucks do well. Missing baseball just for something to do in the summer. Will really miss sports when football is cancelled.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I'm not huge into basketball or baseball, either, but even the ability to just check box scores and highlights in the morning, I am definitely missing out. Looking VERY forward to both basketball and baseball to see what they can do in this time and hoping it proves promising for football. You guys can all be better than me if you want, but I can honestly say my life is incomplete without football in the fall.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I don't follow weekly sports, other than the Packers, but no summer Olympics and no EURO soccer tournament sucks. Those are always huge events and are only organized every 4 years, so they're rare enough. Both would've been international COVID catapults, so made total sense they moved 'em to next year. My dad is going nuts watching old soccer games...

Disc golf tournaments have already returned without audience, and YouTube -savvy players have kept a steady stream of videos coming. Following a small sport with no TV rights has it's advantages.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I guess I did forget about the summer Olympics. I really like watching the distance running and soccer.
RIP JustJeff

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Pro Football is the only sport I have any interest in. I'll maybe catch parts of championships for other sports (not the epitome of lameness iteself, baseball, tho). I do watch the Olympics, though its rare enough to say that I miss it would be a stretch. In general though I hardly watch any TV, so whether there are sports or not doesn't matter.

I've been gaming more than usual. Need to clean up the shop and get back to work in there, working on the inspiration phase of a new project.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Damn, can't believe how many are not into other sports here. Live for Packers, Soccer, Brewers, Badgers, and Bucks.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Packfntk wrote:
01 Jul 2020 15:48
Damn, can't believe how many are not into other sports here. Live for Packers, Soccer, Brewers, Badgers, and Bucks.
I've been a Packers fan what seems like forever, but my interest in the rest of the NFL has waned. I do watch Nebraska football too. I watch the Spurs whenever they're on, but I don't have the time to watch all the games anymore. Nor do I feel like shelling out money for the NBA pass stuff. For baseball, I very recently started following the Brew Crew.

I don't go out of my way to watch soccer or golf, but if it's on I'll watch it.
RIP JustJeff

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Packfntk wrote:
01 Jul 2020 15:48
Oh, I love the Packers, Blackhawks, White Sox, Notre Dame, golf, UFC and men’s tennis. Absolutely love watching all of that. My interest has just started waning over the past few years since everyone is suddenly “woke” and coming off sounding entitled (to me).

Add the complete shutting down of sports due to the virus and I’ve just kind of moved on... and it feels really refreshing, good and productive. I’ve been working out, reading books, enjoying the outdoors, grilling/smoking meats, video gaming... it’s honestly been pretty freaking awesome.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I'll also add boxing to my list.
Gunzaan wrote:
01 Jul 2020 17:03
..and it feels really refreshing, good and productive. I’ve been working out, reading books, enjoying the outdoors, grilling/smoking meats, video gaming... it’s honestly been pretty freaking awesome.
I second this. I've been way more productive as of late. Mostly yard work, work outside, reading, and smoking meats if I can find them at a reasonable price of late.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
29 Jun 2020 15:15
I've missed baseball games on TV. Most of the time those games were the only thing on the air worth watching. :?

Same for me, I miss watching the Nationals on TV. I became a Nationals fan when the Expos moved to DC in 2005. Seeing the Nats win it all last season was better than I thought it would be (Anthony Rendon will be sorely missed ........... just my prediction) I also missed March Madness. Like others here, I've found other things to do to fill my time when I am not working. This being 'cooped up' and teleworking is starting to become 'ho-hum' I guess........just have to accept it and wait this one out.

GO PACKERS!