False Prophet

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Apr 2020 01:44
There was no drastic need for a WR, PERIOD. Get over it!

Adams is certainly a top 10 receiver and possibly a top 5. Most teams do not have a single receiver with his ability and production.

Lazard is the perfect WR#2 for the LaFleur O. A big physical receiver with good hands who blocks and picks up 1st downs when targeted. Lazard is exactly what the Packers want as a WR in a play option offense. If you usually run on 1st and 2nd down you are not going to be in 3rd and 10 very often. Lazard is the perfect WR#2 for 3rd down and 4 yards to go. Lazard is the perfect WR#2 to take the CB or a safety out of the play and allow Jones to pick up those same 4 yards.

Add Sternberger and Tonyan or Sternberger and Deguara and you have an O built for picking up 5 yards on every down every time. You have 3 plays to pick up 10 yards, even if the D guesses right or a receiver drops a pass or a lineman false starts, you still move the chains. And keep you D fresh and off the field.

And if someone gets hurt or you get a penalty and are facing 3rd and long you have ESB and Kumerow so you can play 3 WR's. This team has 4 capable WR's, not 1. This team has 4 hybrid WR/TE's with various skills.

Of course this only works if you have a QB who does not miss 25 yards down the field most of the time or throw the ball away after 4 seconds of passing up high percentage short gains. A QB who does not lead the league in throw away passes. A QB who does not get sacked after 3 seconds on 3rd down and 3 yards to go because he changed the play and was looking 25 yards down the field for Adams who is double covered. A QB who does not think that he is still the GOAT when he is now average. And this is where the 1st round pick comes in. Because if your QB refuses to adhere to the game plan and the offensive scheme, there is a place for him on the bench and 2 other QB's perfectly capable of handing the ball off to Jones or Dillon or completing a 6 yard pass to Sternberger or Lazard.

The trial is over, the Judge and Jury agreed, Gute and LaFleur both agreed that the problem was never going to be fixed by drafting a WR who does not fit the scheme nearly as well as the 7 receivers (Adams, Lazard, ESB, Kumerow, Sternberger, Tonyan and Jones) already do, and now add Deguara and Dillon as potential receivers. The verdict is in, the problem is and has been Rodgers for a few seasons now.

And now we can relax. Rodgers is almost certainly going to reinvent himself and stop putting himself and the O into 3rd and long situations. He is going to have fun looking at 2nd down and short most of the time. And we are going to enjoy watching that 2nd down and short be converted most of the time. When Jones and Dillon are not running free through the secondary, Adams and Lazard and Sternberger will be.
Don't forget we added 2 WRs in Fuchness and Begelton from the CFL.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 Apr 2020 00:55
Foosball wrote:
27 Apr 2020 00:07
I’m predicting in about 2.5 - 3 years, there will be a QB controversy and Rodgers will demand a trade.

Also, hopefully this time around the GM will get a high draft pick.
I don’t think Rodgers is traded bu choice. If anything they trade him on their own or real ease him. At no point in time can you bench a QB making that much. I think they attempt the trade in 2 years and ultimately cut him. They eat the 17 mil dead cap as it ultimately saves like 20 mil or so.
Surely the Packers only cut Rodgers if his play falls off. My guess is his trade value will still be high enough in 2023 to get compensation for him.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

salmar80 wrote:
26 Apr 2020 03:04
One thing I don't get is folks wanting a GM with a killer instinct, the manly man who is willing to make bold moves and walk his own road to win Super Bowls.....but who is also a fan-fearing wimp, who'd pick exactly the players the consensus group-think prefer... :messedup: Does not compute. :idn: :nono:

I fully understand the disappointment this draft. I'm pretty damn bummed myself, but not due to picking Love, who legit could mean we go back-to-back-to-back with great QBs (and I'm #¤%& glad Belichick didn't get him). Love would probably be worse than Tua this year, hence lower draft stock, but I think he has the higher long-term ceiling.

I was more bummed with the following couple of rounds. Gutey said something about being unable to trade up in the 2nd (where the best WR value was). I would've been willing to sacrifice 2021 picks for it. Drafting a RB feels like a consolation price that doesn't really console. Deguara sure hustled and did everything asked of him with great effort, and didn't look as slow as his 40 time, but a TE/FB will have to be hella good to be worth it.
+1. BG has demonstrated that he's not afraid to break status quo. Our first glimpse of this was when he drafted a punter in the mid-rounds back in 2018. The Love pick leaves a similar taste in my mouth. A "go against the grain" mentality can be productive, but can also be detrimental if utilized in the wrong situations. I think it's bad to be different just for the sake of being different. Is BG guilty of this? I don't know.

I will say that I can appreciate his willingness to take those chances, unpopular as they may be at the time. If BG is destined to fail, we'll find out sooner rather than later- as is the case with most disruptive decision makers.

It's better to burn out than to fade away I suppose.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

I don't have a problem with drafting a punter on day 3 if they turn out to be good. Most day 3 picks don't work out so if you can find a starter then that's a win.

It's brave though. I'm glad he's happy to make the bold move when he thinks it's necessary.