Your Morning Coffee Rodgers Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

LOL!!! Good one!

I think I’ve seen that his cap hit this year is less than $10M and next year is less than $20M. The third year is where the cap hit really takes off. So, if true, they can afford him next year without any problem, no matter what the other players cost.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
13 Sep 2023 15:01
thanks, very informative, imagine rolling out a 60x100 yrd field after each game, or a grow light system for domes, watering systems, put a lot of people to work. :aok:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Sep 2023 15:16
LOL!!! Good one!

I think I’ve seen that his cap hit this year is less than $10M and next year is less than $20M. The third year is where the cap hit really takes off. So, if true, they can afford him next year without any problem, no matter what the other players cost.
We laugh now, but I made a prediction earlier this offseason that some way, some how Aaron would find his way to Chicago. This is uncomfortably one step closer to that reality.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The turf injury issue is mostly that cleats don't break free as they would on grass, ie... foot got stuck in the turf.

As far as Rodger's recovery, there is absolutely no chance he comes back this season. There is a very real chance that he never plays again. Cam Akers was 23 when he was able to come back for the last weeks of the playoffs, but Achilles injuries have been known to end careers.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Who is the oldest player to come back from this injury? The only candidate I can think of is Vinny Testaverde at 35/36.

(Eerie coincidence: Both injuries happened with the Jets in week one.)
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

NCF wrote:
13 Sep 2023 15:25
Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Sep 2023 15:16
LOL!!! Good one!

We laugh now, but I made a prediction earlier this offseason that some way, some how Aaron would find his way to Chicago. This is uncomfortably one step closer to that reality.
I can't see that, tbh. Chicago can't build a good offensive supporting cast to save their lives. I don't see them becoming an attractive destination for Rodgers within the next few years.

Rodgers also seems to know that playing for the rival of your former team is not a good look for fans of said team, and seems sensitive to maintaining his image and not following Favre's example too closely. Yes, he went to NYJ like Brett did, but he handled it much less antagonistically and was way better in how he treated Love.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wizard 87
Reactions:

Post by wizard 87 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Sep 2023 14:44
I’m spending a little time contemplating why the artificial turf might be more likely to cause any injury more than a grass turf.

Regarding Rodgers’ specific injury, in looking at the video, what I see is that he planted that leg into the artificial turf in a way that his toes were more elevated, relative to his ankle/heel than usual. (This might actually be similar to how a sprinter comes out of the blocks as the start of a foot race.) As he was trying to push off to avoid the sack, that would’ve put a LOT of stress on the Achilles Tendon. And that’s not even counting whatever turn/torque he also put into it. The way that I see the artificial turf making a difference, compared to grass, is that artificial turf only has as much give as that half inch (whatever the thickness of the turf is) can afford. Below that is concrete with no give at all. If he had done the same move on grass, the grass and soil both would’ve allowed some give; certainly more than the carpet/concrete.

Are there any other considerations?

I know Bahk69 speaks out about this for a variety of injuries, not merely Achille’s problems.

I’d appreciate any insider feedback about this.
I thought this kind of poured ice water on the turf did it theory today,

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

wizard 87 wrote:
13 Sep 2023 16:35
Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Sep 2023 14:44
I’m spending a little time contemplating why the artificial turf might be more likely to cause any injury more than a grass turf.

Regarding Rodgers’ specific injury, in looking at the video, what I see is that he planted that leg into the artificial turf in a way that his toes were more elevated, relative to his ankle/heel than usual. (This might actually be similar to how a sprinter comes out of the blocks as the start of a foot race.) As he was trying to push off to avoid the sack, that would’ve put a LOT of stress on the Achilles Tendon. And that’s not even counting whatever turn/torque he also put into it. The way that I see the artificial turf making a difference, compared to grass, is that artificial turf only has as much give as that half inch (whatever the thickness of the turf is) can afford. Below that is concrete with no give at all. If he had done the same move on grass, the grass and soil both would’ve allowed some give; certainly more than the carpet/concrete.

Are there any other considerations?

I know Bahk69 speaks out about this for a variety of injuries, not merely Achille’s problems.

I’d appreciate any insider feedback about this.
I thought this kind of poured ice water on the turf did it theory today,

The physician is correct here. If you look at what happened, his foot wasn't trying to twist or anything and the turf kept the foot in place and didn't give. The problems here were primarily (in order): 1) he didn't throw to the open guy in-tempo over the middle on a play designed to get the ball out quick, 2) his heel was planted and not raised, putting a ton more stress on the whole triceps surae (including achilles), 3) the defensive player's weight, 4) the prior injury, 5) age and the loss of muscle/tendon compliance that goes with age, 6) maybe in some small way the turf played a role.

That said, turf clearly results in more injuries than grass, mostly due to the foot getting "suck." But in THIS injury it is way down the list.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Do we all think Rodgers would want to play for Chicago because owns the team or because he actually thinks they'd give him a chance at the Super Bowl?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Acrobat wrote:
13 Sep 2023 16:53
Do we all think Rodgers would want to play for Chicago because owns the team or because he actually thinks they'd give him a chance at the Super Bowl?
I think that red carpet, franchise savior thing would be tough for anyone not to, at least, consider.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

wallyuwl wrote:
13 Sep 2023 16:43
The physician is correct here. If you look at what happened, his foot wasn't trying to twist or anything and the turf kept the foot in place and didn't give. The problems here were primarily (in order): 1) he didn't throw to the open guy in-tempo over the middle on a play designed to get the ball out quick, 2) his heel was planted and not raised, putting a ton more stress on the whole triceps surae (including achilles), 3) the defensive player's weight, 4) the prior injury, 5) age and the loss of muscle/tendon compliance that goes with age, 6) maybe in some small way the turf played a role.

That said, turf clearly results in more injuries than grass, mostly due to the foot getting "suck." But in THIS injury it is way down the list.
Thanks for the info/list

And I am on board with expert analysis as to whether turf caused this injury

However, I don't think it matters. This injury on a turf field that players have complained about ignited the conversation in a more vehement and activated energy I've seen around the topic for ages, and the data shows it's more dangerous. Whether it mattered to THIS injury or not, this injury may be the tipping point of doing something about it.

I think that would actually be a pretty neat addition to the Rodgers legacy in some respects. Players have fought over this for a long time. Your achilles ruptured so that others can play on grass. A feather in the cap, honestly

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

The Packers dodged a bullet. The chances of AR every playing again are less than 10% and the chances of him ever being great are zero. I know, because I had that injury.

This should be a wake up call to the Packers and every other team. Don't overpay for any QB, no matter how good he is. Don't put an excessive amount of cap money into any player at any position. The risk of a career ending injury is real and significant. Put the money into retaining linemen and LB's and TE's and if you do happen to hit on an MVP quality QB, trade him, spend the money on top players at other positions and take the 1st round draft picks.

One year earlier (a year the Packers missed the playoffs) and the Packers would have had 2 extra 1st round picks (maybe more) instead of two 2nd round picks and dead cap limitations this past offseason. But thank God they finally woke up and got out of the way of that bullet.

Sucks to be a Jet fan

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Sep 2023 15:46
The turf injury issue is mostly that cleats don't break free as they would on grass, ie... foot got stuck in the turf.

As far as Rodger's recovery, there is absolutely no chance he comes back this season. There is a very real chance that he never plays again. Cam Akers was 23 when he was able to come back for the last weeks of the playoffs, but Achilles injuries have been known to end careers.
Even if he can go through all the pain and work to return the leg to some type of function, he'd stand a good chance of blowing out an ACL in the next year.

But I wouldn't totally rule out AR remaking his game and becoming a stationary QB and finish up like Peyton did, but with an arm. But not behind that line.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
14 Sep 2023 03:39
This should be a wake up call to the Packers and every other team. Don't overpay for any QB, no matter how good he is. Don't put an excessive amount of cap money into any player at any position. The risk of a career ending injury is real and significant. Put the money into retaining linemen and LB's and TE's and if you do happen to hit on an MVP quality QB, trade him, spend the money on top players at other positions and take the 1st round draft picks.
Ok, now I'm confused.

You're saying that just as your developed QB comes into his quality playing prime, trade him? And start all over at the most important position because he may get injured? But those "other positions" can be spent upon because....they don't get injured?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
14 Sep 2023 06:53
TheSkeptic wrote:
Ok, now I'm confused.

You're saying that just as your developed QB comes into his quality playing prime, trade him? And start all over at the most important position because he may get injured? But those "other positions" can be spent upon because....they don't get injured?
Me too. Someone here likely just flew off the rails. Hopefully its a temporary thing.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

APB wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Ok, now I'm confused.

Yes, that is what I am saying. Unless that QB is another Brady that prefers SB's to squeezing every last penny in salary, trade him. Instead of spending 30 million extra a year in cap, take that 30 mil, divide it by 5 and pay for the best Oline in the league. A Sean Clifford type QB the Oline that has all the time in the world to throw will outperform that prime time QB behind a shaky Oline. And maybe we will not see that prime time QB on a cart with someone supporting his leg, courtesy of UDFA's in the Oline making veteran's minimum.

I really hope Love does not get greedy and become the next narcissist who prefers making the top salary in the NFL and wining the MVP to winning the SB. If he does, trade him for 3 first round draft picks and 2 seconds and start Clifford. Then if Clifford repeats, trade him too.

Then maybe we would have a Corey Linsley winning a pro bowl as a Packer instead of Myers struggling. Personally I think Linsley would have stayed had the Packers given him an extra 6 mil a year instead of giving his money to Aaron Rodgers. And an extra 2 mil might very well have kept Corey.

Of course the other positions get hurt too. But what would we rather have, 1 backup in the Oline or the star QB on IR?

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

TheSkeptic wrote:
The Packers dodged a bullet. The chances of AR every playing again are less than 10% and the chances of him ever being great are zero. I know, because I had that injury.
Not so fast.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jets-coach-rob ... 24908.html

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
13 Sep 2023 16:04
Who is the oldest player to come back from this injury? The only candidate I can think of is Vinny Testaverde at 35/36.

(Eerie coincidence: Both injuries happened with the Jets in week one.)
Shawne Merriman torn his at 27 and started 1 more game the rest of his career which lasted 1 more year.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
14 Sep 2023 08:01
APB wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Ok, now I'm confused.

Yes, that is what I am saying. Unless that QB is another Brady that prefers SB's to squeezing every last penny in salary, trade him. Instead of spending 30 million extra a year in cap, take that 30 mil, divide it by 5 and pay for the best Oline in the league. A Sean Clifford type QB the Oline that has all the time in the world to throw will outperform that prime time QB behind a shaky Oline. And maybe we will not see that prime time QB on a cart with someone supporting his leg, courtesy of UDFA's in the Oline making veteran's minimum.

I really hope Love does not get greedy and become the next narcissist who prefers making the top salary in the NFL and wining the MVP to winning the SB. If he does, trade him for 3 first round draft picks and 2 seconds and start Clifford. Then if Clifford repeats, trade him too.

Then maybe we would have a Corey Linsley winning a pro bowl as a Packer instead of Myers struggling. Personally I think Linsley would have stayed had the Packers given him an extra 6 mil a year instead of giving his money to Aaron Rodgers. And an extra 2 mil might very well have kept Corey.

Of course the other positions get hurt too. But what would we rather have, 1 backup in the Oline or the star QB on IR?
1. players do not set there dollar value, there agents do, player simply play, and there production is the bargaining chip there agent uses.
2. the winningest teams tend to be big play producers with stingy defenses, that means teams need a offense that can accomplish that, and that very very seldom happens on a run first team, so ya need that QB.

we went 2 decades trying it your way with 1 (one ) winning season because we couldn't replace Bart Starr, I never want to go back to that again. :thwap:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Dan Marino came back and played 2 years after his, but I remember him going on record several times saying that it never felt the same. Rodgers could still come back and play at a high level, but age is not his friend right now. He already lost a lot of his mobility, so he will truly have to be a pocket passer with what is most likely declining arm strength and agility in the pocket.