Round 3 (94) - Josiah Deguara, TE Cincinnati

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I don't think people realize why we picked Dequara, if your going to feature running the ball, then it's very important to have the best lead blocker you can get, we let Vitali go because he wasn't good enough at it, and we took Dequara thinking he would be better, this goes right along with people chossing Bahk over Jones in the that thread, ya want Bahk for his blocking prowess but don't want it to be a factor concerning DEquara

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Apr 2020 11:49
You asked about the difference between Moss and Deguara. British answered about the draft status and the simple solution that maybe Deguara is better, I pointed out that there is much greater speed risk with Moss because he didn't run, and perhaps you lumping "questional speed and athleticism" into a descriptor of both of them, Deguara timed and was scouted to have enough speed. He ran faster than Ertz, the same speed as Jordan Reed, much faster than Finley. Moss... didn't run, and maybe wasn't expected to run fast enough.
Yep, I like that. Good answer as to why Deguara would have been drafted where he was.
Then you get on your William Henderson kick, which is funny because he, too, was a 3rd round pick and valuable contributor to a Super Bowl team. But MORESO because Henderson never played TE. He was a FB who caught passes, not a versatile chess piece. Henderson wasn't lining up in-line, or splitting out in the slot except on very rare occasions. Henderson was a FB in the traditional FB mold who had more receiving ability. Henderson was more of a poor man's Larry Centers.
I love it. Waldo gave some great examples of fullbacks drafted early. While Henderson was draft in the 3rd in 1995, Everett was drafted in 2017 so both bring good examples where similar players have been drafted. This shows I was undervaluing the position.
Deguara plays TE. He's lined up in-line, on the wing, in the slot, in the backfield. He is a versatile, moveable tool.
I agree. Aren't there other players that are also versatile that were taken later? IMO Deguara will be essential our FB. He does offer more versatility than a true FB, which does give him value.
4 TEs were selected in the last 15 picks of the 3rd round.

Here they are:
image.png

Are there any particular athletic deficiencies here that say he doesn't belong?
Great comparison.

So the Why behind Deguara going in the 3rd:
FB/H-Back players have gone this high in the past.
He brings more versatility that an average FB pick.
He is a tenacious blocker as a TE.
He is similarly athletic and speedy as TEs picked in the same round.

Thanks for bringing that information Waldo and Yoho. I appreciate the effort! Now I have a better understanding of why we picked Deguara in the 3rd round.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Apr 2020 12:11
I agree. Aren't there other players that are also versatile that were taken later? IMO Deguara will be essential our FB. He does offer more versatility than a true FB, which does give him value.
Essentially be our FB, yes, but that doesn't mean what it used to. Similar to Juzy-check (stupid name, no idea how to spell it), he isn't a true lead blocker, either. So, I get the versatility angle, but, with both SF and now GB, I'm not sure why you wouldn't also carry a 260 lb hammer of a true FB whose only roll is lead blocking. Even if it is rarely used, still seems like a skill set that is useful and missing in both of these offenses.

Read More. Post Less.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Apr 2020 10:59
British wrote:
30 Apr 2020 10:43
From leaked scouting report on Deguara
Full piece: https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/josiah-de ... k-peek-213
Huh, that's fascinating. They say he runs like Kittle or Kelce, and is faster than Reed. I'll have to watch some things, I guess, but their timing certainly indicates that Deguara is more in the Jordan Reed range of speed than in the Kittle or Kelce range. He's also significantly shorter than the latter two. Whoever this scout is was VERY high on Deguara (probably a Packers scout, if you ask me).
Yoho, if you check the link, it's supposedly taken from the summary page of a scouting report prepared by one of the pro scouting services.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi