2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Welp, 28th in yards, 31st rushing defense, 16th pass defense.

Not good, playing by all accounts, two pretty bad offenses.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'am so tired of hearing excuses for Barry, his very soft zones, and the continuous poor tackling technique, his troops are famous for the inability to get off the field and giving up huge chunk plays, Barry will take down Lafluer with him

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]Yoop[/mention] where are you hearing excuses for Barry?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

I keep hearing that the Packers are young and thus "growing pains" are to be expected. I think that is true for the offense, but how about the defense?

P. Smith,30 years old/9th year in the NFL.

Gary, 25 (turns 26 this season)/5th year.

Clark, 27 (turns 28 in a couple of weeks)/8th year.

Campbell, 30/8th year.

Alexander, 26/6th year.

Douglas, 28/7th year.

Ford, 28 (turns 29 in early November)/7th year.

Savage 26/5th year.

This does not look like a YOUNG or INEXPERIENCED defense to me.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

LombardiTime wrote:
18 Sep 2023 11:44
I keep hearing that the Packers are young and thus "growing pains" are to be expected. I think that is true for the offense, but how about the defense?

Campbell, 30/8th year.

Alexander, 26/6th year.

Douglas, 28/7th year.

Savage 26/5th year.

The DC is less experienced. How’s that?
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 11:41
@Yoop where are you hearing excuses for Barry?
here, there, and every where, do you seriously expect me to list names, maybe take your ear muffs off and you'll hear em too.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2023 12:49
Pckfn23 wrote:
here, there, and every where, do you seriously expect me to list names, maybe take your ear muffs off and you'll hear em too.
Yes, I honestly have not seen or heard anyone making excuses for Joe Barry. That's why I asked.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Sep 2023 12:04
LombardiTime wrote:

Campbell, 30/8th year.

Alexander, 26/6th year.

Douglas, 28/7th year.

Savage 26/5th year.

seriously Scott, this defense is loaded with seasoned talent, and DC's either got it or they don't, this isn't Barry's first merry go round and he's sucked every where he's been.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Just like last year, there are no excuses left for Barry. The only position that is weak is safety.

If they stink it up the next three games, I really wonder if Barry will survive the bye week. (Ah, who am I kidding? MLF won't fire anyone in season.)
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2023 12:52
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Sep 2023 12:04
LombardiTime wrote:

Campbell, 30/8th year.

Alexander, 26/6th year.

Douglas, 28/7th year.

Savage 26/5th year.

seriously Scott, this defense is loaded with seasoned talent, and DC's either got it or they don't, this isn't Barry's first merry go round and he's sucked every where he's been.
I’m not saying otherwise. I don’t perhaps go as far as saying that he sucks. But his D in Green Bay has certainly underperformed and not by a little.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
So no, nowhere.

Because nobody is making excuses for him anywhere. I would expect you to list at minimum one name or post. Doubting you’ll find one.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 13:07
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
So no, nowhere.

Because nobody is making excuses for him anywhere. I would expect you to list at minimum one name or post. Doubting you’ll find one.
first off I didn't say here, or exactly for this game, but I've heard so much defense of this or that or the other thing concerning the team over the last half doz. years, specially the talent in the Capers years, specially all the defense over the WR's, this place has become a defend the FO pit stop.
seriously we see better defense or Lafleur can go to the unemployment line right along with Barry, this garbage on defense has to end, we play like a bunch of pansies

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2023 13:56
BF004 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

So no, nowhere.

first off I didn't say here, or exactly for this game, but I've heard so much defense of this or that or the other thing concerning the team over the last half doz. years, specially the talent in the Capers years, specially all the defense over the WR's, this place has become a defend the FO pit stop.
seriously we see better defense or Lafleur can go to the unemployment line right along with Barry, this garbage on defense has to end, we play like a bunch of pansies
Capers has NOTHING to do with this. Our WRs have NOTHING to do with this. The FO has NOTHING to do with this.
I'am so tired of hearing excuses for Barry
You said it, so where have you seen or heard a defense of Joe Barry?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 14:04
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

So no, nowhere.

Capers has NOTHING to do with this. Our WRs have NOTHING to do with this. The FO has NOTHING to do with this.
it all has to do with my complaints, you and others are so busy defending what yo say has nothing to do with this, such as not drafting WR, your insane complaints of Capers for years, when crap talent was the real issue.

and I don't have to name names, if your guilty own it, if not then take a hike

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I am willing to offer a defense of joe Barry:

Joe Barry is who joe Barry is. And Joe Barry is being exactly who he always has been.

To expect joe to be anything other than what he is now, would be insane on the part of Lafleur and fans.

When Lafleur made the mediocre hire, he should have expected these exact results. After all, anybody should look decent coaching 7 first round picks. We could have hired a high school coach and he would look decent with this talent.

But Joe barely even looks decent, but he often does look just that..decent.

Problem is that with this talent, and with a new qb, we need way more than decent. And we deserve way more that decent.

But how can we mad at Barry? He’s always just been barely decent. This is just who he is. This is just who we hired. Mcveigh passed over him for a reason.

The one to blame is Lafleur. Lafleur made the bad hire, had the chance to move on..and refused. He is the one to be mad at. Not Barry, who is just being who he always has been.

(How was my defense?)
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 14:16
I am willing to offer a defense of joe Barry:

Joe Barry is who joe Barry is. And Joe Barry is being exactly who he always has been.

To expect joe to be anything other than what he is now, would be insane on the part of Lafleur and fans.

When Lafleur made the mediocre hire, he should have expected these exact results. After all, anybody should look decent coaching 7 first round picks. We could have hired a high school coach and he would look decent with this talent.

But Joe barely even looks decent, but he often does look just that..decent.

Problem is that with this talent, and with a new qb, we need way more than decent. And we deserve way more that decent.

But how can we mad at Barry? He’s always just been barely decent. This is just who he is. This is just who we hired. Mcveigh passed over him for a reason.

The one to blame is Lafleur. Lafleur made the bad hire, had the chance to move on..and refused. He is the one to be mad at. Not Barry, who is just being who he always has been.

(How was my defense?)
good defense, and I don't think anyone hates either coach, your right, never understood the hire, always seemed like Matt had several in mind and the first choices went elsewhere and Barry was a last resort, whatever, your right he had the opportunity to replace, instead fired Jerry Gray and gave Barry another shot, now both may get fired.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2023 14:15
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 14:04
Yoop wrote:

it all has to do with my complaints, you and others are so busy defending what yo say has nothing to do with this, such as not drafting WR, your insane complaints of Capers for years, when crap talent was the real issue.

and I don't have to name names, if your guilty own it, if not then take a hike
THIS IS ABOUT JOE BARRY. You specifically said you are tired of hearing excuses for JOE BARRY. I asked where you have heard these excuses. You have no response except to bring up your pet topics that have NOTHING to do with JOE BARRY. WRs have NOTHING to do with JOE BARRY. Capers has NOTHING to do with Joe BARRY.

Who is excusing Joe Barry? Who is defending Joe Barry?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:

Except he did something unexpected in week 1. It is possible.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 14:35
Drj820 wrote:

ahh, if we'd have played any team besides Chicagos RPO QB and weak ol we'd have gotten tramped for big plays the same way we did yesterday, your already defending the guy, and Barry seems incapable of getting these players to play accountable football.
the offense made it easy against the Bears, Atlanta had almost twice as many offensive plays as we did, it's Joes job to make those stats more equal.

I just don't want to go the whole season with mediocre Joe.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
18 Sep 2023 14:44
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Sep 2023 14:35
Drj820 wrote:

ahh, if we'd have played any team besides Chicagos RPO QB and weak ol we'd have gotten tramped for big plays the same way we did yesterday, your already defending the guy, and Barry seems incapable of getting these players to play accountable football.
the offense made it easy against the Bears, Atlanta had almost twice as many offensive plays as we did, it's Joes job to make those stats more equal.

I just don't want to go the whole season with mediocre Joe.
Defending? No. Saying he can devise a more aggressive game plan, yes.

Barry has shown to be incapable of adjusting in game an devising a game play that plays to the strengths of his players on a week to week basis.

So yoop, who is making excuses for Joe Barry? Who is making you so tired?