Packers @ 49ers Divisional GDT: Saturday, January 20th, 2024, 7:15 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

was thinking prior to the Dallas game that it was like a Super bowl game to us, not many of us expected the team to make the PO's heck many thought we'd be lucky to have a 500 season, a plus 500 season was considered a high point, and great considering we had a new starting QB and a receiver group still wet behind the ears, actually I don't remember any sports person giving us much of a chance at success, but here we are, Bad To The Bone ,ready to play super bowl #2 of our season, so it's another Kick a as, and take no prisoners, we still got a couple more Super appearances left, so GO PACK GO :aok:

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

The Niners are not a good come from behind team. They’re something like 0-37 under Shanahan when they’re behind by 8 points or more starting the 4th quarter. There is something there.

Of course they’re usually ahead.
Love is the answer…

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

mnkcarp wrote:
19 Jan 2024 07:03
MY_TAKE wrote:
19 Jan 2024 05:40
Out of nowhere, the game could go like this.

Kind of a defensive battle. Both teams score a TD at some point but the rest of the scoring is all FGs. Both teams can move the ball between the 20s but then stall. Carlson kicks the game winner (55 yarder) at the end of regulation to give the Pack the win, 16-13 and causing packer nation to declare Carlson as the greatest place kicker in Packer history. :aok: That would be fine with me.
Until he scores a game winning TD off his own blocked kick to beat our rival Bears, the position of greatest kicker is taken:
...while high on cocaine. :aok:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The stars are aligning yet again...!!

:aok: :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

You are worried about overconfidence against SanFran.

I am worried about overconfidence against Detroit. :oops:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Let’s be real. 49ers are the healthier, more experienced team and are playing at home. They are hungry because they believe they lost the SB last year due to Purdy’s injury. They will not lay an egg like Dallas. LaFluer has struggled mightily against them in the past. Sure the Pack could win. The discrepancy is not Miracle on Ice level but it’s going to take an effort like the Thanksgiving game against Detroit, a very similar team to SF, to beat them. Looking forward to seeing what they can do. Go Pack! Thought about going in person but tickets are $300 for nosebleeds.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lake shark wrote:
19 Jan 2024 11:09
Let’s be real. 49ers are the healthier, more experienced team and are playing at home. They are hungry because they believe they lost the SB last year due to Purdy’s injury. They will not lay an egg like Dallas. LaFluer has struggled mightily against them in the past. Sure the Pack could win. The discrepancy is not Miracle on Ice level but it’s going to take an effort like the Thanksgiving game against Detroit, a very similar team to SF, to beat them. Looking forward to seeing what they can do. Go Pack! Thought about going in person but tickets are $300 for nosebleeds.
I think we all realize it is a longshot. That's ok. We still want to win! We still think we CAN win!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
18 Jan 2024 16:36
Pugger wrote:
18 Jan 2024 16:29
:kaboom:
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Jan 2024 08:59
Shut up Wyatt. Don't give them bulletin board material. :?
You sound like someone who is scared of the 49ers. Just sayin'...
Not scared but I have a healthy respect for the 9ers. It is great to go in with confidence but there is a reason why they are the #1 seed. It might take an even better performance to win tomorrow than it was in Dallas. IMO it just dumb to say this kind of stuff no matter who you are playing.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

packman114 wrote:
18 Jan 2024 18:35
Last time the Packers - Niners played in a quagmire it worked out ok for the Pack! Here's hoping for Nixon or Reed to channel some Des Howard moves and "return" us to glory!!
I was in attendance at that game. The final score was great but man, it was miserable enduring the wind and rain! It took me days to dry out. :lol:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

billbird2111 wrote:
18 Jan 2024 21:35
Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Jan 2024 19:17
billbird2111 wrote:
18 Jan 2024 17:59
49er fan from Northern CA here. Thank you for allowing me to join. Looking forward to a good game, and any sort of game for that matter. It's been three weeks since the 49ers played a significant contest. This is both good and bad.
Hi Bill. I'm glad you would join us. No matter the outcome on Saturday night, maybe you could hang for a while, perhaps months to come. I'm sure the Packer/Niner rivalry will continue to grow.

On paper, the Niners fit your description pretty well, maybe even more. They clearly have the star power on offense. And their D is more than adequate, very capable of making turnovers.

The Niners and Packers will play pretty much the same offensive scheme, which you know already.

PackerNation is all guesses as to which Packer defense will show up. My view is that our Joe Barry D sucks every year until sometime in late November going into December and then it's pretty darned good for the most part. We are clearly past that point now. So, I'm thinking the better of our Jekyl/Hyde defense will be on the field. And they have also shown since early December, that they are capable of forcing turnovers.

Perhaps the biggest difference in the game will be what Kittle can do compared to Musgrave and Kraft. I'd actually like to see that. Kittle is a savvy pro, no doubt. But I don't know if there's a defense around that can hang with our TE from both sides. If they play up to their new expectations, I think we have a very slight edge there.

It really probably comes down to this. If our youthful Packers play down, then the Niners probably romp. But if they are still ascending, I think we have a legit chance of getting to the SB. The Niners are the known team. The Packers are the true wild card, but if they are right, they will compete now with anybody.

My deepest desire is that we play a smash-mouth game where both teams are getting worn down, to the point of obvious exhaustion. But my team would barely find another facet of their new identity and have enough to get a closely fought win. If the Packers weren't in it and the Niners played anybody else, I'd be for them to win it tho. Face it, with those stars, they need to. Their expectations are the highest. We'll see if that works for them or against them.
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the welcome. I promise to be on my best behavior while I am here. Or at least attempt to do so. I have one response to your last point. If this game is at all close in the 4th quarter, and it comes down to a FG to win or tie, the 49ers are SCREWED. We need to be up big in that final quarter. I mean 21-points BIG.

The powers that be decided to switch out kickers this year. The team spent a 4th round pick on a Michigan product called Moody. Unfortunately, he's just a kid. His kicking game, so far, is akin to his last name. In the one game we needed a big kick out of the guy to grab a win (Cleveland), he was wide right. He's got a thing for missing kicks, even extra points, wide right. If it's cold and windy this Saturday night, which the forecast says it is going to be, I would hate to put Moody on the spot. I know he hit plenty of big kicks under Harbaugh at Michigan. He was as solid as they come. But that hasn't translated on the NFL level. Yet.

If the 49ers defense allows Love to throw the ball all over the field with great success as he did during the close of the season and against Dallas, it's going to be a long night for us San Francisco diehards. That kind of success simply cannot be allowed. I am hopeful that the 49ers will not allow the same kind of wide open receivers that the Dallas defense presented as a gift-wrapped present. But, time will tell. I make no promises. I've witnessed the 49er defense clamp down on opposing offenses. I've also witnessed them get burned by a passing attack they simply could not stop.

I know the oddsmakers think the 49ers are going to win this game easily. The thing is, I've been around for awhile. I witnessed the 1980 dynasty squads. Those teams, which also could not be stopped, found a way to blow some very big home games where the oddsmakers told everyone that the 49ers could not possibly lose. The memory of those losses in 1983, 1986 and 1987 are BURNED into my brain.

Cheers! :beer2:
Kicking has been an adventure for us too. Our guy has missed 7 extra points so far this year. :P

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Foosball wrote:
19 Jan 2024 10:22
The Niners are not a good come from behind team. They’re something like 0-37 under Shanahan when they’re behind by 8 points or more starting the 4th quarter. There is something there.

Which is why I think MLF will take the ball first like we did in Dallas if we win the toss.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Certainly will never know, but I'm wondering about the 'if only' had gone the other way in Dallas. If there's no penalty and the Pack is 3-and-out on their first possession, how does the rest of the game play out?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Half Empty wrote:
19 Jan 2024 12:27
Certainly will never know, but I'm wondering about the 'if only' had gone the other way in Dallas. If there's no penalty and the Pack is 3-and-out on their first possession, how does the rest of the game play out?
I think we still win. But would have been a lot closer.

You just can't dominate that hard in every facet and not end up winning the day.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
19 Jan 2024 11:54
packman114 wrote:
Last time the Packers - Niners played in a quagmire it worked out ok for the Pack! Here's hoping for Nixon or Reed to channel some Des Howard moves and "return" us to glory!!
I was in attendance at that game. The final score was great but man, it was miserable enduring the wind and rain! It took me days to dry out. :lol:
For that game we had the ultimate NFL mudder playing for the Packers.....the great #34 Edgar Bennett!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Just saw the 9.5 point point spread. :rotf:

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
19 Jan 2024 12:43
Pugger wrote:
19 Jan 2024 11:54
packman114 wrote:
For that game we had the ultimate NFL mudder playing for the Packers.....the great #34 Edgar Bennett!
Reminds me of Jim Irwin and his radio call when you mention that.

Good stuff

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

BF004 wrote:
17 Jan 2024 07:40
lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Jan 2024 21:29
My boss is a 9ers fan and I want to tell him to eat my ass after a win so bad.
Possible he is already into that, don't ask, don't get.
Is this another reference to your browser history?

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Pugger wrote:
19 Jan 2024 12:00
Foosball wrote:
19 Jan 2024 10:22

Which is why I think MLF will take the ball first like we did in Dallas if we win the toss.
I agree however bad weather might switch LaFleur’s thought process.

Or SF wins the toss and defers…

Shanahan likes to score just before half and then get the ball first in the 2nd half. Like most coaches.
Love is the answer…

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

LOL so have any national pundits actually predicted the Packers to win this week?

Not that I really care, more curious than anything