Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So is Jordan Love a Top 10 Quarterback?

Yards - 10th (3,843)
Completion % - 63.3% (not very good - though he is over 67% the 2nd half of the season and that is near the league's best)
TDs - 3rd (30 which is two behind 1st place)
Interceptions - 11
Rating - 93.8

I think he's legit a Prow Bowl/Top 10 Quarterback in this league.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

paco wrote:
01 Jan 2024 08:55
My guess is Jordon Love will be a betting favorite for MVP next year, along with 3 or 4 other guys. The 16 td's to 1 int is a hard stat to argue with over the last few games. Doing it with young guys around him and, old man aaron Jones, who have really never been healthy together the entire year is telling on how good he has been. Last night, for the most part was a QB clinic. I rewatched the game this morning and its just so darn good. Early in the year the timing, exection and accuracy were so $%@# up it was difficult to tell what the exact problem was ( probably everyone). Now they look like a completely different team offensively. Early in the year, even when passes were completed the timing and execution were so bad they rarely got YAC or the reciever was falling down.

It sure makes things look better when Aaron Jones and the O line are running the ball effectively with big play potential. Can't forget or over state that.

Go Pack Go

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

If we look at what Love did in the first half of the season, I do think it is reasonable to think that he would improve the second half. The keys would be his own discernment of where to throw the ball against pressure and the WRs/TEs getting synced with him. I 100% believed by October that Love would be fine. I didn't think 30+ TD fine, but fine just the same. He is exceeding my hopes for this year.

2024 will be another story. I'm setting the bar higher for him and the entire offense.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

Jordan Love is a LOT more fun to watch than some of those seasons from Aaron Rodgers. Honestly, he does exactly what I always wished Rodgers would do more of- take risks and shots downfield without being totally reckless. Sling it once in a while rather than just take a coverage sack. I couldn't ask more from a QB right now.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Papa John wrote:
01 Jan 2024 11:37
Jordan Love is a LOT more fun to watch than some of those seasons from Aaron Rodgers. Honestly, he does exactly what I always wished Rodgers would do more of- take risks and shots downfield without being totally reckless. Sling it once in a while rather than just take a coverage sack. I couldn't ask more from a QB right now.
High praise, Papa. I agree!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just throwing out an early salvo in the contract talk (since he can't be extended until 1 year after he signed his alternative-to-the-5th-year-option deal)

People are talking about $50M/year because it's the "going rate," but the Packers have Love's rights for the next three years for considerably less than that.

Maximum $20.5 M in 2024 with incentives. Franchise tag (likely $39-40M) in 2025. Franchise tag with a 20% boost for $48 M in 2026.

That's basically 3 years, $110 M (rounding up). Throw in a 3-year $150M stretch at the end of the deal and we're looking at 6-years $260 which would likely be considered a 5-year $240M extension (new money/new years)

So $48M/year reported extension that amounts to a $40M/year ion actual full-contract value. That's my best guess.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Jan 2024 11:59
Just throwing out an early salvo in the contract talk (since he can't be extended until 1 year after he signed his alternative-to-the-5th-year-option deal)

People are talking about $50M/year because it's the "going rate," but the Packers have Love's rights for the next three years for considerably less than that.

Maximum $20.5 M in 2024 with incentives. Franchise tag (likely $39-40M) in 2025. Franchise tag with a 20% boost for $48 M in 2026.

That's basically 3 years, $110 M (rounding up). Throw in a 3-year $150M stretch at the end of the deal and we're looking at 6-years $260 which would likely be considered a 5-year $240M extension (new money/new years)

So $48M/year reported extension that amounts to a $40M/year ion actual full-contract value. That's my best guess.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Caption this conversation as they made their way to the locker room:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
01 Jan 2024 13:40
Caption this conversation as they made their way to the locker room:

I know I'am a strong critic of Gutekunst at times, and really don't regret much of anything I've said, but I'am sure happy for him, and have to respect him, over all he's done a great job, and if Love continues to blossom as I expect he will/hope he does, the Gutekunst name will be among the other great Packer General managers, just awesome.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

He is HIM...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I thought Brian Gutekunst was a big guy but he looks like a child next to Jordan Love.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I'm not too concerned with talking about expectations for Love any more. I just want to see him continue to progress for at least two more games!

Will worry about contract and future growth after that.
:-)

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

One thing I noticed about Love is that virtually his only not-quite-there throws were to Melton. Whether it was Melton's fault or Love's fault for the 3? missed passes, I don't have or need an opinion. But the point is that early season Love was accused of inaccuracy because he kept missing receivers, and perhaps the reason was that he hadn't been playing with them long enough to get the timing. Now he has - except for Melton. In half a season he has developed the chemistry with ALL his receivers that they all know where to be and when they should be there.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The turnaround from first half to second half of the season Love is remarkable. You usually only see jumps like that from season to season. There are still duds. I thought his Giants and Buccs games were both not good enough. He just won his first playoff game. He’s got another one here.

I will say I was wrong about him. I think he is still inaccurate but I underestimated his playmaking. He can make up for it by just making explosive plays. Rodgers did this except instead of missing throws he would throw it away. Mahomes does it by trying to extend and find things down field. Love just somehow misses badly on occasion but he comes back and throws strikes on some incredible balls.
Last edited by lupedafiasco on 01 Jan 2024 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jan 2024 22:43
Jordan Love's deep ball improvement is by far his most striking difference.

He really struggled on the deep balls the first half of the season. Now he is deadly accurate with them. If this proves sustainable or continues improvement....this dude will be absolutely insane.
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
01 Jan 2024 15:24
I thought Brian Gutekunst was a big guy but he looks like a child next to Jordan Love.
I noticed that too! :shock:

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

One more thing about Love on New Year's Eve - the first long drive that ended with a field goal. On third down, Love was dodging to avoid pressure and spun to face the end zone - turning on his blind side - to throw it away. Heath was available so he threw to him but overthrew it. He had a very small split second to after turning to assess the pass and launch it - a miss, but a sign of very quick reading of the field. It would have been a phenomenal pass if it had come off.