Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Jackson deserves a nice fat contract. He does not deserve a $250m guaranteed contract. Little guy hasnt even finished the last two years upright. Guaranteed contracts gotta go to guys who are always available.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Scott4Pack wrote:
10 Mar 2023 11:14
Thielen!
awesome play by Jaire, knocking Thielen into next week

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPacker ... elen_as_a/
IT. IS. TIME

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BSA wrote:
10 Mar 2023 13:29
APB wrote:
10 Mar 2023 12:50
Explain this to me, please.
Jackson thrives in the offense designed around his skills, he would struggle in other offenses that depend more heavily on certain throws
His completion percentage is a reflection of the types of passes he threw but its not a given he'd be as successful in a different system.
There's nothing wrong with that type of play, but you have to be willing to commit to it- and not every OC/HC wants that. I think BB would be a great fit, he's shown the ability to embrace different styles of play on both sides of the ball.
Good explanation, thanks! :aok:

That said, I think most "good" QBs thrive because they operate within an offense that takes advantage of their particular skill set. Jackson is no different. Yes, his passing talent isn't "elite" but a number of highly regarded QBs don't possess "elite" arm talent. I contend Jackson doesn't get enough credit for his "good" arm talent simply because his highlight running plays undercut passing ability and, simply put, many people make the lazy "Vick" assumption.

Lamar Jackson is no Michael Vick. Vick couldn't wash Jackson's jock.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Wow, I was like not that much until the last piece, damn.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
10 Mar 2023 16:26
BSA wrote:
APB wrote:
Jackson thrives in the offense designed around his skills, he would struggle in other offenses that depend more heavily on certain throws
His completion percentage is a reflection of the types of passes he threw but its not a given he'd be as successful in a different system.
There's nothing wrong with that type of play, but you have to be willing to commit to it- and not every OC/HC wants that. I think BB would be a great fit, he's shown the ability to embrace different styles of play on both sides of the ball.

That said, I think most "good" QBs thrive because they operate within an offense that takes advantage of their particular skill set. Jackson is no different. Yes, his passing talent isn't "elite" but a number of highly regarded QBs don't possess "elite" arm talent. I contend Jackson doesn't get enough credit for his "good" arm talent simply because his highlight running plays undercut passing ability and, simply put, many people make the lazy "Vick" assumption.

any QB that runs for 750 yrds, has a 7.5 yrd pass rate, attempts on average 300 passes a season is a rpo QB in my opinion, and who even mentioned Vick, what does mike vick have to do with any of this? Jackson ranked 14th last year, the thing as you well know with running QB's is longevity, they don't tend to last long, so it makes sense that the Ravens don't want to guarantee a large portion of his contract.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
BSA wrote:
APB wrote:

Mike Vick destroyed the packers in the snow at Lambeau in the playoffs. Lamar has half The amount of playoff wins as mike Vick
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Seems I’ve struck a Vick nerve… :lol:

Relax [mention]Yoop[/mention] [mention]Drj820[/mention]. My reference of Vick was a generalization.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
10 Mar 2023 16:32
Wow, I was like not that much until the last piece, damn.

I’d say da Bears got the better of that deal! They aren’t dumb all the time. Lol
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yeah, if that holds true I definitely think the Bears got the better end of that deal.

So the Panthers gonna gut their future draft capital and send arguably their best player. What exactly is that new QB of the future supposed to work with?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
10 Mar 2023 18:33
Yeah, if that holds true I definitely think the Bears got the better end of that deal.

So the Panthers gonna gut their future draft capital and send arguably their best player. What exactly is that new QB of the future supposed to work with?
Gunna go the Justin Fields route, get your QB, suck, trade the 2025 1st pick of the draft for a haul.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
10 Mar 2023 18:38
APB wrote:
10 Mar 2023 18:33

Gunna go the Justin Fields route, get your QB, suck, trade the 2025 1st pick of the draft for a haul.
I suppose that’s not a terrible strategy if you can find a dance partner. Panthers better hope there’s another idiotic GM out there when their song plays…

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

APB wrote:
10 Mar 2023 18:47
I suppose that’s not a terrible strategy if you can find a dance partner. Panthers better hope there’s another idiotic GM out there when their song plays…
For Caleb Williams there is

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So what would have stopped the Panthers from just like trading back from 9 to 30ish, maybe pick up a 2nd, and a few picks in future years, even if below value.

Then signing Jackson to a contract, only gotta give them like pick 30 this year, and a first next year, but you should have already recouped a lot of value trading back.

Could almost be somewhat of a wash in picks. Could get Lamar for almost free, just gotta give him a contract.

Seems way smarter to me than to make this trade, worsen your team and a slightly better lottery ticket.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I think it’s a terrible trade for the Panthers. They give up really their only offensive weapon and a ton of draft capital. I guess they’ll have the cap space maybe for offensive firepower but idk how this helps them.

I also believe this will for sure be Anthony Richardson. If you’re gonna swing for the fences with a move like this I think you go after the higher ceiling QB. There no way you risk all this for Levis or Young. It could be Stroud thiugh but this seems like a bigger swing than that.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

DJ Moore already has more receiving yards in his career than any bear in history while a bear.

DJ Moore is 25. :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

For those who say, "it's always best to win every game you can"....I think it's safe to say it was a GREAT thing for the Bears that Christian Watson beat them and they didn't try to beat MN.

What a freaking haul. These are likely going to be very high draft picks next year for the Bears too.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
11 Mar 2023 09:30
These are likely going to be very high draft picks next year for the Bears too.
Absolutely.
And if Fields doesn't develop- they have enough ammo to try again.
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

APB wrote:
BSA wrote:
APB wrote:

Additionally, those QBs who are exceptional as runners of the ball seem to have short-lived careers. Once Vick slowed down and ran less, he needed to depend upon his throwing ability. And that was no better than average. Alas, that is the problem with most (not all) “running QBs” in the league. I imagine that is also a small consideration in Jackson’s case now.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

vikings announced the passing of LEGEND Bud Grant today - age 95

What an amazing coach and contributor to the NFL and CFL. True football legend

IT. IS. TIME