Post-Game: 49ers 24 Packers 21

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
21 Jan 2024 12:38
packman114 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:42
Yes this year was successful based on expectations. The big assumption we're all making us that Love and our young players will learn from this and improve.

But a little voice in my head keeps saying what if it's the coaching? So even though the players improve is MLF good enough to win these big games? So far he's the constant in all these recent playoff losses. Hope I'm wrong and he learns with them.
Like Yoop brought up earlier, this team reminds me of 2009. We went to AZ as underdogs and if not for a missed facemask who knows ? The guys will learn from this just like that squad did back in Rodgers' early years starting.
baby steps :rotf: the future seems bright for sure, such a young team, I know I said Douglas may have inspired and got Savage and Nixon, heck the rest of the team to hold onto the house money nothing to lose mentality we carried into the Dallas game, but this actually was a bigger stage, and I'am sure Lafleur and the coaches tried to keep the players loose, tall order for so many rookies or even vets , but we started tight, and played that way much of the game.

another year of seasoning will help all the players, I like where this team is headed. :aok:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

musclestang wrote:
21 Jan 2024 12:28
Acrobat wrote:
21 Jan 2024 09:41
None of these teams will beat the Ravens. I always say I’d rather lose in the playoffs than the Super Bowl. Our window starts a year earlier than we all thought. Some fine tuning in the offseason please and we’ll be fine.
Every week teams beat teams they “shouldn’t beat”. I’d rather have the opportunity to try, than not. Every time.
Oh I agree. I’m just saying that in the long run we might look at this as a good loss when we completely steam roll the league like the Ravens are doing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
21 Jan 2024 12:47
Yoop wrote:
21 Jan 2024 09:48
Acrobat wrote:
21 Jan 2024 09:41
None of these teams will beat the Ravens. I always say I’d rather lose in the playoffs than the Super Bowl. Our window starts a year earlier than we all thought. Some fine tuning in the offseason please and we’ll be fine.
we where never suppose to compete with Dallas, any given Sunday the worst team in the league can and have upset the best, know one knows if the Ravens will even be playing in the SB, it's just a educated GUESS :idn: :lol:
Baltimore shows no real sign of weakness. On Christmas day they smoked the 49ers in California 33-19. They beat Detroit 38-6 in October. They destroyed the Texans yesterday. This isn't the year I'd want to face that juggernaut in a SB.
ya, but you, I, and this whole house would hardly shed a tear if we had to lose to the Ravens in the SB this year :rotf: heck if we made it to the SB 4 years straight and lost I'd still be alright with that, heck it happened sorta like that for the Vikings and I never heard of any of there fans jumping out of skyscraper windows, well maybe just a couple of the more deranged ones, but..... :rotf:

billbird2111
Reactions:

Post by billbird2111 »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
20 Jan 2024 22:39
Awesome season, heartbreaking end. My fear is we would get steamrolled.

Surprised 49ers did not run more. Clark balled out all night. We just did not finish in the redzone enough. Savage played awful. Kicker and long snapper we need some competition. Just wish Love lived to fight another day on that last pass.
Surprised the 49ers did not run more? Were you watching the same game this 49er fan was? The Packer defense positively STUFFED the 49er run game. No other team has been able to stop the patented CMC sweep to the left. NOBODY. Not with Trent Williams, our massive left tackle, blowing up equally massive running lanes. But the Packers did. Not just once, either. But again and again and AGAIN! That's why the 49ers did not run more! Your defense made it impossible to do so! Those patented sweeps to the left were GUARANTEED to pick up 8-10 yards every single time the 49ers went to that well. 16 other NFL teams could NOT stop that play. They knew it was coming. But they could not stop it. NOBODY COULD. But not last night. Not against the Packers. I think the most yardage CMC got on any given sweep to the left was two yards. How did your defense do what no other defense in the NFL has done?

Savage played awful? Because he dropped a pick? That happens. How about Ambry Thomas? He had this nasty little habit of tackling Packer receivers TEN SECONDS BEFORE LOVE'S PASS ARRIVED! I would call that awful. Those two PI calls were horrible. So, I wouldn't dump on Savage too much. Not with Ambry giving the Packers 60-plus yards every time Love threw in his direction. In fact, if I were Love, I would have thrown in Ambry's direction all night long! Who cares who the receiver was! Ambry was going to do something extremely stupid!

By the way, our kicker managed to get off a kick so low that the Packers blocked it. Not because the Packers got into the backfield. He just kicked it low. Now, in all fairness, he did hit a 52-yarder. Every 49er fan suffered a collective heart attack when Moody nailed that kick. Plus, to be fair, your kicker hit two of them. Yes, if he had hit that final one, the game is tied and the Packers may have won that game. But, to each his own. Young kickers are not reliable kickers. They are just young and talented. He will be back. He will be better.

PACKERS NATION: YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

I’m no angry about how we didn’t finish the job, just proud that we got to the position of having a chance. Disappointing, but the future is so bright!

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

wallyuwl wrote:
21 Jan 2024 15:30
So much of LaFleur's passing game is about going vertical, where receivers can be isolated. When Love has less time...
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

billbird2111 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 13:18
kampmanfan4life wrote:

Surprised 49ers did not run more. Clark balled out all night. We just did not finish in the redzone enough. Savage played awful. Kicker and long snapper we need some competition. Just wish Love lived to fight another day on that last pass.
Surprised the 49ers did not run more? Were you watching the same game this 49er fan was? The Packer defense positively STUFFED the 49er run game. No other team has been able to stop the patented CMC sweep to the left. NOBODY. Not with Trent Williams, our massive left tackle, blowing up equally massive running lanes. But the Packers did. Not just once, either. But again and again and AGAIN! That's why the 49ers did not run more! Your defense made it impossible to do so! Those patented sweeps to the left were GUARANTEED to pick up 8-10 yards every single time the 49ers went to that well. 16 other NFL teams could NOT stop that play. They knew it was coming. But they could not stop it. NOBODY COULD. But not last night. Not against the Packers. I think the most yardage CMC got on any given sweep to the left was two yards. How did your defense do what no other defense in the NFL has done?

Savage played awful? Because he dropped a pick? That happens. How about Ambry Thomas? He had this nasty little habit of tackling Packer receivers TEN SECONDS BEFORE LOVE'S PASS ARRIVED! I would call that awful. Those two PI calls were horrible. So, I wouldn't dump on Savage too much. Not with Ambry giving the Packers 60-plus yards every time Love threw in his direction. In fact, if I were Love, I would have thrown in Ambry's direction all night long! Who cares who the receiver was! Ambry was going to do something extremely stupid!

By the way, our kicker managed to get off a kick so low that the Packers blocked it. Not because the Packers got into the backfield. He just kicked it low. Now, in all fairness, he did hit a 52-yarder. Every 49er fan suffered a collective heart attack when Moody nailed that kick. Plus, to be fair, your kicker hit two of them. Yes, if he had hit that final one, the game is tied and the Packers may have won that game. But, to each his own. Young kickers are not reliable kickers. They are just young and talented. He will be back. He will be better.

Love talking football with real fans of the game!

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Jan 2024 09:56
packman114 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 08:42
Yes this year was successful based on expectations. The big assumption we're all making us that Love and our young players will learn from this and improve.

But a little voice in my head keeps saying what if it's the coaching? So even though the players improve is MLF good enough to win these big games? So far he's the constant in all these recent playoff losses. Hope I'm wrong and he learns with them.
LaFleur is also the constant who got the Packers into the playoffs 4 out of 5 years and has the second most coaching victories of all coaches during that time. LaFleur is also the constant to took this bunch of young guys and turned them into a playoff contender in about three months time.

If people want to look at MLF's failures, fine. But look at the entire picture while you're at it.
The voice in my head says Matty balled out all year! It is easily his best coaching job of his career.
He took everyone’s best shot, got up and out coached McCarthy and Shanahan!
He took a disfunctional team and made it his own.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 07:58
APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 07:47
Yoop wrote:
21 Jan 2024 07:30

ya, well, this is still all your fault :lol: :lol:
Meh.

Blaming the loss on Carlson ignores the fact that his miss was only one of several missed opportunities that cost them the game. Saying “we should have brought in competition” does nothing to prove the outcome would have been any different.
Gute, is that you? :lol: :lol:
Nah it’s just a seasoned NFL fan that understands the big picture. Not just knee jerk reactions after the inevitable up and downs.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Halfway through the season we were thinking the Packers were going to have a top 10 pick in the 2024 draft. And would or should they use that pick on a qb.

We were elated when the Packers beat the Bears (again) and made the playoffs.

We bathed in bliss and danced with delight at how much they dominated the Cowboys in Dallas.

The Packers proved that they can play with and almost beat what many consider the top team in the NFL on a short week even when Love was off.

If I had told you the last part halfway through the season you would have thought I was delusional or taking some damn good drugs.
Love is the answer…

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 07:02
williewasgreat wrote:
21 Jan 2024 05:42
texas wrote:
21 Jan 2024 01:25

Sorry, they choked. They're the ones that need psychiatrists because they all played their worst when the pressure was highest. Offense, defense, and kicker: all had their worst play come at the end, despite coming into the stretch run with a lead. That's pretty much the definition of choking, and it's what the Rodgers-era Packers teams did repeatedly. We still have his losing aura. Maybe we'll shake it off but tonight was the same old Packers, despite how great of a season this was overall and how much room they have given us for optimism going forward.

You see it frequently: a young team heats up toward the end of the season, makes the playoffs (or doesn't), get beaten relatively early, then comes back the next year and dominates. 2012 Seahawks, 2022 Eagles, 2018 Niners, 2009 Packers come to mind. We could do that. But it doesn't change the fact that for right now, we still are weak losers who didn't make the tough plays that the opponent did make.
That's called learning what it takes to win. It's not choking. 2014 was choking. These comparisons to that 2014 team are ludicrous! Look at the better Packer teams of the past. They all needed to learn to win in big games. The 1960 Packers lost the championship but learned what it takes to win. The 1996 Packers had to learn this lesson by losing to Dallas in the big game. I hated losing this game that should have been won and I get that these kinds of chances don't come along that often, but this doom and gloom attitude is hard to understand.
Well said, @williewasgreat! :clap:
I know it’s a fresh pain and many inexperienced fans have an especially hard time coping. But, this season was beyond my expectations! Love is the real deal.
Matty Lafleur is the real deal!
I cannot wait until next year!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's crazy how you can go into a game or a season with limited/realistic expectations, and it can still crush you when it ends.

I, cognitively, understand that last night was a great game and that going on the road in the rain against the conference's top team as the youngest team to ever win a playoff game should, in most circumstances, end with a loss.

I knew going in we COULD win if things went our way. But also that if we played the game 10 times, we'd probably lose 6 or 7.

And I'm doing a really nice job reminding myself of that; and that my thoughts about the season, going in, were realistic and largely played out; that the major questions that needed answering have been answered in positive ways, and that the future is bright.

But today, as I drove around in my mail truck, listening to podcasts about politics or foreign wars or whatever, occasionally the game would cross my mind and I'd just think "f#<%!" or "d@m^*+!" and go back to my distractions.

It was just SO close. We were SO close to playing in the Super Bowl (we would win next week, certainly). And UGH.

Anyway, that's my takeaway from last night. Simple. Elegant. "F#<%"

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Some of y’all need to turn the volume up all the way on this one:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jan 2024 18:22
It's crazy how you can go into a game or a season with limited/realistic expectations, and it can still crush you when it ends.

I, cognitively, understand that last night was a great game and that going on the road in the rain against the conference's top team as the youngest team to ever win a playoff game should, in most circumstances, end with a loss.

I knew going in we COULD win if things went our way. But also that if we played the game 10 times, we'd probably lose 6 or 7.

And I'm doing a really nice job reminding myself of that; and that my thoughts about the season, going in, were realistic and largely played out; that the major questions that needed answering have been answered in positive ways, and that the future is bright.

But today, as I drove around in my mail truck, listening to podcasts about politics or foreign wars or whatever, occasionally the game would cross my mind and I'd just think "f#<%!" or "d@m^*+!" and go back to my distractions.

It was just SO close. We were SO close to playing in the Super Bowl (we would win next week, certainly). And UGH.

Yeah, this is exactly how I am feeling.

I have been posting the last 24 hours seemingly conflicting things, but it boils down to this, basically.

Yeah, we choked, in the moment. And we shouldn't dance around that fact. We continued our playoff history of missed opportunities and failing down the stretch of a winnable game, and it feels horrible. But as far as the future looks, we probably have the most optimistic future to look forward to of any franchise, as of right now.

We all wondered what the MLF offense would look like, since he was handcuffed to the Rodgers offense for the past 4 years. Well, the outcome is what we all wanted coming into the season, something like the Shanahan offense except maybe not as dependent on superstars at the skill positions, and that's exactly what we have. But speaking of superstars at the skill positions, the indications are that we are indeed going to have superstars at the skill positions, particularly Love. As I wrote in the other thread, it is still too early to say he will be the next 15-year HOF QB for us, but he exceeded even the most lofty expectations for this year, and if I had to bet on him being the next 15-year HOF QB, I would say it is more likely than not.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

texas wrote:
21 Jan 2024 21:36
YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Jan 2024 18:22

Yeah, this is exactly how I am feeling.

I have been posting the last 24 hours seemingly conflicting things, but it boils down to this, basically.

Yeah, we choked, in the moment. And we shouldn't dance around that fact. We continued our playoff history of missed opportunities and failing down the stretch of a winnable game, and it feels horrible. But as far as the future looks, we probably have the most optimistic future to look forward to of any franchise, as of right now.

We all wondered what the MLF offense would look like, since he was handcuffed to the Rodgers offense for the past 4 years. Well, the outcome is what we all wanted coming into the season, something like the Shanahan offense except maybe not as dependent on superstars at the skill positions, and that's exactly what we have. But speaking of superstars at the skill positions, the indications are that we are indeed going to have superstars at the skill positions, particularly Love. As I wrote in the other thread, it is still too early to say he will be the next 15-year HOF QB for us, but he exceeded even the most lofty expectations for this year, and if I had to bet on him being the next 15-year HOF QB, I would say it is more likely than not.
I’m also feeling like this exactly. Living in 49ers country, none of the niners fans are saying a peep. They know they should not have won that game. F indeed.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
21 Jan 2024 15:30
This

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

billbird2111 wrote:
21 Jan 2024 13:18
kampmanfan4life wrote:

And now it is up to you guys to win the SB. So that we know how close the Packers were/are.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Who cares about expectations? We set those, they aren’t reality.? Results are reality. The reality is the GBP were HOT the last month and they OUTPLAYED the niners. They kicked their a** all night!

Yet in the 4th quarter, everybody a**** got tight, and they puked the game away.

Whether it was Lafleur taking Jones out after a huge run that would have sealed the game with a TD

or the Carlson miss

Or Love really playing awful in the 4th

Or the defense limiting the niners all game, and then giving up a game winning td

Or Lafleur pretending Love was Rodgers and not doing things to take the game out of his hands…

It was right there for the taking, and we decided we weren’t ready for the moment…once again.

That’s disappointing.

If you’d like to cope and pretend the game didn’t go as it did…and just fall back on “expectations”, or how the season went overall, or whether it was a “success” or not…you have that right.

But it doesn’t change the reality..that we outplayed em, we had em on the ropes, and we did what we always do…we let them off the hook.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I am very excited about the future.

But I also think what happened Saturday night was donkey d*ck as we once again lost a playoff game we should have won.

1998, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2020, 2021, 2023

That's a long freaking list. It's getting old watching the game KNOWING we are gonna Packer it up (whether the fault of the Packers or refs, etc.) and once again being proven right.

Fans were tight/nervous when we were up 48 to 16 for a reason. Because we are so traumatized that even a 32 point lead with 10 minutes to go isn't enough - especially as we watched Dallas get into the 30's. This is our reality.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.