Veteran WR Options

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Sounds like Gute was in every discussion as promised.

Frankly I'm glad we didn't take on that salary + waste draft capital, however small.

Give me Will Fuller or Julio anyday.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

So Parker chose Mac Jones over GM Rodgers? Yikes.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Apr 2022 20:24
Parker to an extent; the GM's offers to an extent.

Lots of nuances there. Nothing black and white about those sorts of reports.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
I had the same thought lol, so much for "players come here to play with ME!" yeah okay Aaron.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 Apr 2022 21:49
Drj820 wrote:
Parker to an extent; the GM's offers to an extent.

Lots of nuances there. Nothing black and white about those sorts of reports.
Indeed. And most of the the info in these reports come from the agent. In their interest to say Parker chose NE over the rest, when it's likely that the others were just outbid.

NE is just about the worst team in the league when it comes to drafting or trading for WRs.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were the highest bidders.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
05 Apr 2022 18:22
Sounds like Gute was in every discussion as promised.

Frankly I'm glad we didn't take on that salary + waste draft capital, however small.

Give me Will Fuller or Julio anyday.
Julio will cost a little more, and he is old, But he's the best of these left overs, he instantly would provide #1 ability for Rodgers

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
06 Apr 2022 08:48

Julio will cost a little more, and he is old, But he's the best of these left overs, he instantly would provide #1 ability for Rodgers
I figure if we sign Julio and Watkins, between the two of them we’ll get one healthy season :lol:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Apr 2022 09:21
Yoop wrote:

I figure if we sign Julio and Watkins, between the two of them we’ll get one healthy season :lol:
That might be a stretch. May need to add Fuller into the mix to achieve that. :rotf:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

texas wrote:
05 Apr 2022 18:11

Is Leroy someone in the know, or do we take stuff like this with a grain of salt
I heard that this might have been in reference to Keenan Allen, who I would definitely take.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

texas wrote:
07 Apr 2022 22:31
texas wrote:
05 Apr 2022 18:11

Is Leroy someone in the know, or do we take stuff like this with a grain of salt
I heard that this might have been in reference to Keenan Allen, who I would definitely take.
No, Butler doesn't have any inside info. Probably just bait to get people to listen to his radio show.

PackerNation
Reactions:

Post by PackerNation »

I think Gute is waiting to sign a vet WR until after the draft. You see how your WR room looks after the draft, and go from there.

I am not concerned about someone else signing Julio Jones before the draft. Not really sure Julio is worth signing. I think you do it later if there is a need after the draft, and trade options become none.

Get Olave and Christian Watson in the draft, and go from there. I could then live with Lazard, Julio, Olave, Cobb, Watson, and Amari Rodgers as my WR room for 2022.
1f98a2317ea549087c575564dca8613e_w200.gif
1f98a2317ea549087c575564dca8613e_w200.gif (655.29 KiB) Viewed 433 times

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Yoop wrote:

you know my motto, there is no such thing as having to many WR's :lol: my motto changes yearly :rotf:

I'am starting to fall off the Burks band wagon some, not sure he can do in the pro's what he was able to do in college, I think I pegged him right when I called him a RB with hands, he is very raw as a actual receiver, very limited route knowledge except slants . screens, and short curls, people say he can play from the edge but that wont be as easy when he faces NFL caliber CB's. I'am looking at him more for slot 28 if he last.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

PackerNation wrote:
09 Apr 2022 07:01
I think Gute is waiting to sign a vet WR until after the draft. You see how your WR room looks after the draft, and go from there.

I am not concerned about someone else signing Julio Jones before the draft. Not really sure Julio is worth signing. I think you do it later if there is a need after the draft, and trade options become none.

Get Olave and Christian Watson in the draft, and go from there. I could then live with Lazard, Julio, Olave, Cobb, Watson, and Amari Rodgers as my WR room for 2022.
We welcome you

And I agree, either we likely would have made a move sooner, or we’ll just wait till after the draft.

The only other name is keep an eye on is Tyler Lockett on a post June 1st trade, Seattle would just be eating too much before then.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

PackerNation wrote:

Welcome!

I am weighing the thoughts of signing Julio versus getting somebody like Butler mentioned. Part of me thinks that if Guty considered Julio or any other available WR (at cost) to be worthwhile, compared to what he can draft, he would’ve already done it. There’s a reason that he’s waiting. Either the cost would be too great or the WR isn’t as good as he used to be or be a good fit for some reason.

I trust in Guty.

While the world thinks our entire WR group and the team in general are in chaos, I think we’ll be in good shape. I just don’t have a clue how it is we’ll get there. Will we trade for a WR vet on draft day? Maybe. But Guty will do something that’ll work very well.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Apr 2022 09:34
PackerNation wrote:

Welcome!

I am weighing the thoughts of signing Julio versus getting somebody like Butler mentioned. Part of me thinks that if Guty considered Julio or any other available WR (at cost) to be worthwhile, compared to what he can draft, he would’ve already done it. There’s a reason that he’s waiting. Either the cost would be too great or the WR isn’t as good as he used to be or be a good fit for some reason.

I trust in Guty.

While the world thinks our entire WR group and the team in general are in chaos, I think we’ll be in good shape. I just don’t have a clue how it is we’ll get there. Will we trade for a WR vet on draft day? Maybe. But Guty will do something that’ll work very well.
:-)
One interesting all-in option would be to spend some picks on WRs, and then after the draft, use a next year's pick to trade for a vet. Maybe a team drafts one too many, and a vet wants out...

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

What I want out of a vet is a guy who can contribute right away himself as a top target in the league (not necessarily a high quality number 1, but a guy who can make his own space at least) AND a guy who is technically sound with enough respect on his name that the rookies will like to that player to see how to be an NFL WR. I think having that model in the building of film study and route rubbing will enhance the development of any young guys far more than Cobb or Lazard can.

To me, Julio makes sense from that perspective, if he’s willing to do a low cap ring chase/try-to-prove-I-can-stay-healthy deal, which there is SOME whisper of reporting that he might be willing to do.

But I also think he wants an ideal situation so HE’S waiting until after the draft. And I think guys like Landry, as well, are taking that mentality of waiting. And that’s sort of holding up the market because teams want to get a decision from their top choices before pursuing backup plans. Sort of how the QB market went on hold for a week waiting for Desean Watson to make his decision. But lower stakes and longer-term.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Listening to the coaches' pressers, found out Vrabel, WRs/passing game coordinator, was in Buffalo "in the receiver room" when they drafted Sammy Watkins. Mentioned him at least 3 times in the short presser, mainly as showing his credibility with young WRs, but like....

What this means to me, between Vrabel and MLF (2017 with the Rams),is that the Packers know everything they need to know about Watkins, and Watkins knows the scheme and the players well enough to contribute and want to come here.

If they don't sign this guy, it means they know something I don't and I'll accept it. But the fit just makes more and more sense.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Yoop wrote:

So far you are 50%

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Rodgers finally has his first round WR draft pick! :banana: