Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Is there a single person here who feels that Love has NOT met or exceeded expectations this year?

Seriously.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Scott4Pack wrote:
16 Jan 2024 19:47
Is there a single person here who feels that Love has NOT met or exceeded expectations this year?

Seriously.
Clifford was better in preseason. Would have been interesting to see how he would have done as starter. :poke:

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Scott4Pack wrote:
16 Jan 2024 19:47

Seriously.
He blew me out of the water and I had high hopes for him.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
04 Feb 2024 12:56

I came here to post this. Incredible

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I’ve just never seen a turnaround like that in my life. The only thing that was missing was a quote like “Relax” or “I think we can ru the table.”
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

It was NEVER Thaaaat bad when you consider the youth around him. He played better as the offense as a whole grew, it was only natural.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 Feb 2024 13:33
I’ve just never seen a turnaround like that in my life. The only thing that was missing was a quote like “Relax” or “I think we can ru the table.”
The interesting post game thread to reach through was the Steelers post game thread. That was the game where you could vividly see something was there.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
05 Feb 2024 10:40
lupedafiasco wrote:
The interesting post game thread to reach through was the Steelers post game thread. That was the game where you could vividly see something was there.
Meh. He made some wow throws. Ive gone back and watched that one and still thought it wasnt NFL starting caliber play. He just wasnt completeing passes at a high enough clip and that was the main reason the offense didnt put up enough points in what should have been a winnable game.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
05 Feb 2024 10:46
go pak go wrote:
05 Feb 2024 10:40
lupedafiasco wrote:
Meh. He made some wow throws. Ive gone back and watched that one and still thought it wasnt NFL starting caliber play. He just wasnt completeing passes at a high enough clip and that was the main reason the offense didnt put up enough points in what should have been a winnable game.
Well yeah. Anyone can watch a December game vs the Steelers game and be like:

"he is better in December".

He completed more balls. He made wow throws. He made multiple TDs. He was the highest rated QB Thanksgiving and beyond.

But the fun part is to see it before it happens. And you could clearly see the seeds were being planted in that Steelers game that this guy has something to grow off of. It was night and day because he completed a couple of long balls and/or was really close on others.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
05 Feb 2024 10:33
It was NEVER Thaaaat bad when you consider the youth around him. He played better as the offense as a whole grew, it was only natural.
It all sucked early, poor pass pro, receivers dropping balls or running wrong routes, no run game, Love as a young first year starter didn't get much help, plus a defense designed to garner more snaps then it's offense, thats a hard road to ride for any QB :mrgreen:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
I was trying to preach that most of October-December. Just don't need to ride that roller coaster high and low. Break it all down more, know what you can know. To me the whole time during our slump, it simply seemed like he was making the right reads and making the right decisions. Bit rushed and sloppy and anxious footwork, often falling back, lead to a lot of throws generally underthrown and a bit late. Then it eats at the confidence, confidence in WR's, yourself, OL, etc. Obviously didn't expect the crazy turnaround, but it always seemed if he can clean up that footwork, god forbid get a healthy WR two weeks in a row to build some chemistry and confidence, it was all there. But that is way easier said than done.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

He didn't look bad in the first half of the year, he looked average. He was not making many great plays, but neither was he making many bad ones, and a lot of the bad plays were the fault of the WR or OL more than him.

We had people blaming Love for really stupid stuff like the Reed practically handing the ball to the Vikings defender for an INT.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
05 Feb 2024 11:16
Drj820 wrote:
I was trying to preach that most of October-December. Just don't need to ride that roller coaster high and low. Break it all down more, know what you can know. To me the whole time during our slump, it simply seemed like he was making the right reads and making the right decisions. Bit rushed and sloppy and anxious footwork, often falling back, lead to a lot of throws generally underthrown and a bit late. Then it eats at the confidence, confidence in WR's, yourself, OL, etc. Obviously didn't expect the crazy turnaround, but it always seemed if he can clean up that footwork, god forbid get a healthy WR two weeks in a row to build some chemistry and confidence, it was all there. But that is way easier said than done.
I don't think Clements and Lafleur wanted to mess with tech stuff in season, to much mental, Love has a full plate as a new starter as it is, I expect some improvement after this off season, how much????? like Rodgers, he's a off platform QB, sometimes revamping that stuff does more harm then good, I think Clements said something like that years ago with Rodgers :dunno:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Only thing Love was doing that was egregious was he would miss about 1-2 absolute layups a game. Easy throws that he would way overthrow or something.

This also showed back up in the playoffs late against SF

My guess is that it happens when hes tight and the pressure is on.

It got less and less as he got more comfortable and his confidence grew.

Jordan Love did nothing wrong.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

I would say he looked bad in a few games towards the beginning of the year. The Raiders game was bad IMO.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2024 11:19
He didn't look bad in the first half of the year, he looked average. He was not making many great plays, but neither was he making many bad ones, and a lot of the bad plays were the fault of the WR or OL more than him.

We had people blaming Love for really stupid stuff like the Reed practically handing the ball to the Vikings defender for an INT.
This. There was no turnaround, only gradual improvement that accelerated in December and January

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

TheSkeptic wrote:
05 Feb 2024 12:35
Labrev wrote:
05 Feb 2024 11:19

This. There was no turnaround, only gradual improvement that accelerated in December and January
For half the season there were several balls each game that he was late on. As the season went on he got it out earlier, changed the trajectory of several shots, and receivers played the ball better and that was a major difference between failure and success. Love learned and adjusted along with the receivers.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

So, I want to build for a little bit on the posts from that chart and afterward, to talk about reasonable expectations for 2024. I know that is the reason for this thread. But that chart might "reset" some perspectives for some of us.

Here's my take.

I can look at Love's progression in the second half of the season and wonder if 2024 Jordan will be:
1. All Pro. He will play at elite level all or most of the season. It'll look something like 40 TDs, <10 INTs, and 4,000+ yards. He'll probably even scramble for 3-5 TDs.
2. Pretty darned good. He will have good to great statistics. And he will learn how to pull a couple of victories from the jaws of defeat. He will do his part to help the Pack get into serious contention for the NFC North once more.
3. He will regress to the mean. Maybe in 2023 the truth is that he was something more than the start of the season and less than the end of the season.
4. It'll all depend upon the progression of his offensive players around him. As the rest of the team goes, so will go Jordan. Was the end of this season the skill guys keeping Jordan out of trouble as much as Jordan making bigs plays? (I think not, but I need to consider this.)

I am leaning toward something between 1 and 2. It certainly looks like he is able to produce lots of yardage and TDs. His key for growth will be keeping his INTs down and learning how to win late, even in unlikely situations. He has already shown a Mr. Cool demeanor on the field. Assuming guys like Reed, Doubs, Watson, Musgrave, Krafts, Wicks and others grow only a little more, he is set up for a lot of success.

If he can continue to produce in the Red Zone and calmly making winning plays at the end of each half, we will know beyond a doubt that we have a special QB and it wasn't a flash in the pan.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Packers basically went as far as Love carried them late in the year. They wouldn't have been there without his overall stellar play. Now.

Give the niners credit, but if Love has a better 2nd half the Packers win that game. Its basically just the truth. The downpour didn't help matters late in that final drive, Doubs actually missed an absolute perfect ball on the sideline there, that slid threw his wet gloved hands. Both interceptions in the 2nd half were bad plays but the final one was as bad as it gets considering time on clock, 2 timeouts, and it was 1st and 10 from our 36. He needs not to go crazy late in games an has a little bit of a penchant for going for plays that a calmer mind wouldn't try to make. I only assume he will get better at late 4th quarter play and that should payoff greatly in the future. Maybe he needs to pop an ativan with about 10 minutes to go in the 4th just to chill him out. :lol:

Anyway I am super happy we have one of the best young QBs going forward. The Packers have done it again and it just kills Bears and Viking fans. :rotf: