Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

williewasgreat wrote:
30 Jul 2023 05:17
Drj820 wrote:
29 Jul 2023 11:42
Spin it all you want. Saying HBD on social to the guy, and cutting him a couple hours later…on his bday…is a brutal move.

Could have either not said HBD and cut him or just waited a day, or done it the day before.

Cutting someone on their bday shows the lack of humanity that Rodgers railed against.
Social media happy birthdays come from the PR department. Getting cut comes from the GM. All I see here is another example of a lack of communication with the team.
I actually agree with dj on this. Willie is right, also, that the social media post is not the story, really, but the actual cutting on the birthday.

The ONLY spin that makes this make sense is if he showed up to practice super hungover or still drunk from a rowdy celebration and the cut was actually BECAUSE of the birthday. Otherwise, there is just no need to make the move right now, that day.

I think Rodgers romanticized the personal elements of the business too much. But on this example, it's exactly what he talked about.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Jul 2023 08:39
williewasgreat wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Spin it all you want. Saying HBD on social to the guy, and cutting him a couple hours later…on his bday…is a brutal move.

Could have either not said HBD and cut him or just waited a day, or done it the day before.

Cutting someone on their bday shows the lack of humanity that Rodgers railed against.
Social media happy birthdays come from the PR department. Getting cut comes from the GM. All I see here is another example of a lack of communication with the team.
I actually agree with dj on this. Willie is right, also, that the social media post is not the story, really, but the actual cutting on the birthday.

The ONLY spin that makes this make sense is if he showed up to practice super hungover or still drunk from a rowdy celebration and the cut was actually BECAUSE of the birthday. Otherwise, there is just no need to make the move right now, that day.

I think Rodgers romanticized the personal elements of the business too much. But on this example, it's exactly what he talked about.
My best guess is MLF and BG had no idea it was his birthday. I have NO clue on the birthdays of my 75 person crew. I also don't care about birthdays. It's a guy thing.

But I can see how some people do care about birthdays or employment anniversaries. If this is something they want to get better at, they should implement an HR control where firings "cuttings" are reviewed by HR on things like this.

I guarantee this whole social media thing happened in a silo. The Social Media crew just posts Happy Birthday for everyone. It's likely pre-canned and pre-set. The player administration side has no communication with social media on small matters like this.

So they should probably just add another layer requiring HR approval so they can check for sensitive days like this.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

how could they not know his birthday? sure they could have forgotten it, but they don't cut players without even glancing at his bio, No, this was a message saying if your a young unproven player with zero clout there are no such things as voluntary off season workouts, and you've blown off two seasons of voluntary workouts, good bye, we've replaced what we brought you here to do.

We do do diligence when we bring a player in and do so again prior to any cut.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
30 Jul 2023 09:36
how could they not know his birthday? sure they could have forgotten it, but they don't cut players without even glancing at his bio, No, this was a message saying if your a young unproven player with zero clout there are no such things as voluntary off season workouts, and you've blown off two seasons of voluntary workouts, good bye, we've replaced what we brought you here to do.

We do do diligence when we bring a player in and do so again prior to any cut.
I assure you it was not "sending a message"

I don't think I have ever looked at an employee's date of birth at time of termination. It is literally the last thing on my mind. But it will be something I will have my HR function do moving forward so we don't look insensitive.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
how could they not know his birthday? sure they could have forgotten it,
lol. forgotten Garvin's birthday? To forget somethin means you have to know it first.

I guarantee MLF and BG never knew Garvin's birthday beyond just knowing the year he was born during draft scouting for age.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
30 Jul 2023 09:53
Yoop wrote:
how could they not know his birthday? sure they could have forgotten it,
lol. forgotten Garvin's birthday? To forget somethin means you have to know it first.

I guarantee MLF and BG never knew Garvin's birthday beyond just knowing the year he was born during draft scouting for age.
why do you equate your job with that of Gutekunst, your not dealing with a athlete? your not looking at player profiles, I guarantee you they new when his birthday was, Gute for sure had that info in front of him when he cut him, you act as though he didn't open a filling cab and pull out Garvins folder, you know damn well you would, why you think your job gives you incite to how pro GM does his is laugh out loud funny.
but I agree doing it on the birthday was probably a coincidence, but the cutting does send a message, if your a bubble player then show up for team training sessions.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drj820 wrote:

Cutting someone on their birthday means nothing. Is a business supposed to take a holiday because it’s somebody’s birthday? And if you have 90 players on the TC roster (not including coaches and staff) that’s 90 holidays. And on it goes.

Clearly it was not a surprise to the guy. He had already left the team.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
30 Jul 2023 09:15
YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Jul 2023 08:39
williewasgreat wrote:

My best guess is MLF and BG had no idea it was his birthday. I have NO clue on the birthdays of my 75 person crew. I also don't care about birthdays. It's a guy thing.

But I can see how some people do care about birthdays or employment anniversaries. If this is something they want to get better at, they should implement an HR control where firings "cuttings" are reviewed by HR on things like this.

I guarantee this whole social media thing happened in a silo. The Social Media crew just posts Happy Birthday for everyone. It's likely pre-canned and pre-set. The player administration side has no communication with social media on small matters like this.

So they should probably just add another layer requiring HR approval so they can check for sensitive days like this.
And then, a team can’t release a guy on his anniversary, or his draft anniversary, or his favorite day of the week.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we just picked up a UDFA center, is it just kick the tires, KId played 41 games in college.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-cl ... 18404.html

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
30 Jul 2023 11:29
we just picked up a UDFA center, is it just kick the tires, KId played 41 games in college.

James Empey was waived on July 28, 2023 - also known as the infamous Jonathan Garvin Birthday.

There could be something here that the waiver of Garvin and claim of Empey happening on the same day isn't coincidence. The Packers were linked to liking Empey during the pre-draft process.

My whole point is there are always multiple possibilities of real answers and my best guess is what happened with Garvin had more to do with Garvin being a 4th year player who never really performed and it simply being time to move on at the same day a player the Packers liked was also waived.

Garvin absolutely didn't help himself by not attending OTAs two years in a row but the birthday thing is far more likely to be lack of communication between HR, Social Media team and football operations than it is of "sending a message"
Last edited by go pak go on 30 Jul 2023 11:52, edited 2 times in total.
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Yoop wrote:
we just picked up a UDFA center, is it just kick the tires
GB has 4 QBs in camp, not enough Centers. They had released another camp Center, DJ Scaife a week ago.
Would be cool if he took Jake Hanson's spot on the roster
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
30 Jul 2023 11:33
Yoop wrote:
we just picked up a UDFA center, is it just kick the tires
GB has 4 QBs in camp, not enough Centers. They had released another camp Center, DJ Scaife a week ago.
Would be cool if he took Jake Hanson's spot on the roster
yep, never have enough camp bodies at every position, makes me think the Garvin cut had to happen when it did to.

he's been to 4 teams since being drafted just a year ago, so for a college guy that started for 3 years of college it speaks to limited projected ceiling or very low floor, hope I'am wrong about that and he just needed a better fit.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

James Empey was waived on July 28, 2023 - also known as the infamous Jonathan Garvin Birthday.

There could be something here that the waiver of Garvin and claim of Empey happening on the same day isn't coincidence. The Packers were linked to liking Empey during the pre-draft process.

My whole point is there are always multiple possibilities of real answers and my best guess is what happened with Garvin had more to do with Garvin being a 4th year player who never really performed and it simply being time to move on.

Garvin absolutely didn't help himself by not attending OTAs two years in a row but the birthday thing is far more likely to be lack of communication between HR, Social Media team and football operations than it is of "sending a message"
everything a GM does is thought out prior, you made it sound as though Guty just thought well we want to bring in this center so we got to cut someone and just reached into a fish bowl and drew Garvins name out, again I have no doubts in my mind that Garvin being a bubble player and one who didn't show up for off season workouts, who coaches where attempting to find a positional fit for, Guty probably had looked at his player file several times in the last week, and next to his name was his birthdate, of course he new that when he cut him.

I don't even know what your arguing about, if you are a personal person, which basically is what a GM is then you have at your disposal profiles of everyone you are in charge of, and there birthdate is right near the top of that file.

the point here that we agree on is that a persons birthday has no significance concerning there cut date

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Are ya'll talkin' about a birthday?

A birthday?

Not even a game? Man, come on.

For this forum where we give our lives.

And ya'll in here talkin' about a birthday...

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
30 Jul 2023 12:04
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

My whole point is there are always multiple possibilities of real answers and my best guess is what happened with Garvin had more to do with Garvin being a 4th year player who never really performed and it simply being time to move on.

everything a GM does is thought out prior, you made it sound as though Guty just thought well we want to bring in this center so we got to cut someone and just reached into a fish bowl and drew Garvins name out, again I have no doubts in my mind that Garvin being a bubble player and one who didn't show up for off season workouts, who coaches where attempting to find a positional fit for, Guty probably had looked at his player file several times in the last week, and next to his name was his birthdate, of course he new that when he cut him.

I don't even know what your arguing about, if you are a personal person, which basically is what a GM is then you have at your disposal profiles of everyone you are in charge of, and there birthdate is right near the top of that file.

the point here that we agree on is that a persons birthday has no significance concerning there cut date
It was not a biggie, and only became a minor issue due to what AR's last year's crusade to have our FO treat vets better. And the timing was just terrible with the message ending up seeming to be "Smile, it's your bday! Oh, as a present we end your NFL dream! Buhbye!" I imagine some assistant got a stern talking to...

Garvin did OK for the investment but plateaued and never became anything more than a deep backup. You can get that off the UFA market in-season on the cheap, if the situation is dire. Reps should go to those whose ceilings are not yet known.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
30 Jul 2023 12:30
Yoop wrote:
30 Jul 2023 12:04
go pak go wrote:

It was not a biggie, and only became a minor issue due to what AR's last year's crusade to have our FO treat vets better. And the timing was just terrible with the message ending up seeming to be "Smile, it's your bday! Oh, as a present we end your NFL dream! Buhbye!" I imagine some assistant got a stern talking to...

Garvin did OK for the investment but plateaued and never became anything more than a deep backup. You can get that off the UFA market in-season on the cheap, if the situation is dire. Reps should go to those whose ceilings are not yet known.
right.
happening on his birthday imo was just coincidence, your right the HBD message should have been halted, I think those are automated messages though.

It just stands to reason that coaches expect bubble players or young recruits to be at team workouts, training sessions are so time limited players like Garvin need to be at them.

AR was right when it comes to tenured vets, players that have contributed greatly deserve a personal message from the boss that they have to be let go, and we have comments from tenured starters that was not the case, so this stuff needs to be dealt with accordingly.
If Garvin didn't see this coming, which I expect he did, he should be thankful, it's early camp and another team will give him a look

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Don't answer your phone today, Darnell...

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Both Bak and Adams excelled in GB - but they were always in Rodgers' shadow.
Now both of them really wanted to make a name for themselves- with out Aaron. And an All-Pro nod is a big part of that
Its really an interesting angle for the post-Rodgers Packers, whether they are in GB or elsewhere. They want to re-prove themselves on their own
Best wishes to all of em

Here's an article from Packers Wire with some quotes from Bak who wants another All-Pro, a ring and a shot at HOF

“I have expectations for myself and how I want to play, anytime I go out there I want to put my brand of ball out there,” Bakhtiari said. “Different year, but same goals apply to me. Bakhtiari allowed only 10 pressures and didn’t give up a sack in his 11 appearances last season, showing he can still play at an elite level when on the field. A sixth All-Pro team — and another step closer to the Pro Football Hall of Fame — could be within reach if he’s available for all 17 games for Jordan Love and the Packers in 2023.

How’s that sound?

“Yeah, that’d be fun,” Bakhtiari said.

And here's a great article from The Ringer on Davante Adams ( read the whole thing)

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/5/16 ... n-rodgers

...the reason this first-team All Pro nod meant so much to Adams? While he was in Green Bay, he existed in the shadow of Aaron Rodgers, with interviewers constantly asking him questions about the quarterback’s heroics, rather than his own play. Adams would make one miraculous catch after another, only for Rodgers to receive most of the credit. While many did praise Davante’s stellar play, he felt other narratives followed him, too, such as:

Davante’s succeeding only because of Aaron.

That sentiment frustrated him, though he never addressed it publicly. He chose to let his prolific play speak for itself. Besides, he respected—and still respects—Rodgers. “Aaron’s a hell of a quarterback,” he says.

But Adams believed he was not always given the respect he had earned as a generational talent in his own right.

“Now people can’t say that,” Adams says. “That’ll never be the narrative ever again.” He felt vindicated by the All-Pro honor. Some tightly wound part of him loosened. “It proved that I am me,” he says. “A quarterback doesn’t make me. … I make me. And I can do it consistently at this level.”

IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
29 Jul 2023 18:30
YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Jul 2023 17:01
maybe I was wrong about the "very specific role" thing :lol:
You're not alone !
Here's what I read about the (2) "tweener" DL GB drafted and why they did it
They wanted more pass rush than Reed/Lowry could deliver inside, but they also wanted guys with lateral movement skills. The idea is that with all of the quick WR screens and outside zone running - they can't get stuck with big, relatively immobile DL. Add in the plethora of running QBs and the need for quicker DL comes into view vs the run and the pass game. They'll move these guys around as needed. They are not run plugs, but they will be able to defend the run through the use of alignment & technique.

The way they protect them from getting creamed on a G-C double team is that they line em up at the 4i position. The Center just can't reach em when they are in that alignment. I had posted some stuff of the 4i-0-4i TITE front previously, here's the link below

Once you see how they are going to deploy these 2 DL, the concerns over "tweener" are mostly ameliorated.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2020/6/26/2 ... m-analysis
Thanks for bringing that

Just to clarify the context of my former posts, I mentioned that I was stoked for Wooden before BF asked why and mentioned he was not a favorite draft pick of his. I mentioned his tweener size primarily to explain why I didn't look at him in the pre-draft process, but once I looked into him, I no longer had those concerns. So I agree that the issue is mostly ameliorated :)
YoHoChecko wrote:
23 May 2023 21:49
Labrev wrote:
23 May 2023 19:04
-Colby Wooden rotating in with the 1s at DL
This is my dawg of the Day Three picks this year. I loved his presser. This dude will do anything to get on the field. He has a role. He's another "versatile" guy that I think will benefit from being singularly focused. Give him a package of interior pass rush scenarios/formations, and let him rip at them.
YoHoChecko wrote:
23 May 2023 22:58
BF004 wrote:
23 May 2023 21:59
I should find Woden’s presser, maybe get me more excited.

He was probably my least favorite draft pick. His size doesn’t seem to have a real position, and with Van Ness, really adding a lot of this tweener types.

Can only play 2-3 at a time, either you’ll get killed in the run or you can drop anyone in coverage, and guys that size their forte probably isn’t pass rushing.
I didn't pay attention to him at all pre-draft because I didn't like his 'tweener size.

Turns out he was an all-freshman SEC contributor on the inside who Auburn poorly developed and utilized. They kept putting him outside and inside and using him as a hybrid and kind of maintaining that size. He says he'll add bulk and muscle now that he knows he's inside, and inside is where he wants to be.

He also said he's only ever been a bench warmer once and he decided never again (I think he was referencing high school). He's an interior pass rush specialist all day. No need to play him on anything but 3rd and long. We have Clark, Wyatt, and Slayton for the other stuff, not to mention whatever development and rotational impact we get from Brooks. I just think Wooden will be ready to contribute in a very specific role immediately. Just have to use him right and let him develop from there.