Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I/m just going to remind everyone that back when it made financial sense (before the latest restructure) and before Bakh kept taking "veteran rest days" in camp for 2-4 day stretches of time...

...and before Tom emerged this offseason as a starting-caliber OT who is being moved around the formation (though not before lupe started insisting that they get Tom on the field)

I told anyone who would listen this offseason that we had Tom ready to move in and start at LT and then could open up the RT competition to everyone else and we could save tons of money--dead and otherwise--over tis and next year by moving on from the aging all pro who had busted knees and an undying allegiance to the QB we just traded. And a lot of y'all weren't ready to trust Tom yet.

The two things I've hated most about this offseason were not including Bakh in the Rodgers trade talks and letting Marcedes Lewis walk eventually to the Bears just days before the only TE on our roster who has solid experience as an in-line blocker (though he's not much else) tore his ACL

But both of those ships have sailed now. Bakh's restructure makes it completely silly to trade him now. But now everyone seems to want to. Funny how hindsight changes things.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Aug 2023 08:31
I/m just going to remind everyone that back when it made financial sense (before the latest restructure) and before Bakh kept taking "veteran rest days" in camp for 2-4 day stretches of time...

...and before Tom emerged this offseason as a starting-caliber OT who is being moved around the formation (though not before lupe started insisting that they get Tom on the field)

I told anyone who would listen this offseason that we had Tom ready to move in and start at LT and then could open up the RT competition to everyone else and we could save tons of money--dead and otherwise--over tis and next year by moving on from the aging all pro who had busted knees and an undying allegiance to the QB we just traded. And a lot of y'all weren't ready to trust Tom yet.

The two things I've hated most about this offseason were not including Bakh in the Rodgers trade talks and letting Marcedes Lewis walk eventually to the Bears just days before the only TE on our roster who has solid experience as an in-line blocker (though he's not much else) tore his ACL

But both of those ships have sailed now. Bakh's restructure makes it completely silly to trade him now. But now everyone seems to want to. Funny how hindsight changes things.
I remember all this, and was on board, prior I thought that Tom was a bit light and a inch or so short for LT, but had the quick feet to play there, and added over 10lbs of needed weight/ muscle, he seems like a perfect replacement to me

The Bulaga injury, I thought that sucker is done, same with Clifton, so when Bakh had the acl I took a wait and see attitude, then the super long recovery and pampered practices, ya I was hoping we could move Bakhtiari too.

it is what it is now, hope he stays healthy and Toms, like Jenkins becomes our next pro bowl OL man.

this musical chair training camp process to me means, at a later date we have players that are able to play multiple positions in case of injury or a trade or retirement, If a player has the skills to move around it means we never have a weak position with the starting 5, thats good enough for me, I don't care if any make the PB or all pro, just so there top 5 to 10 at there position.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

lupedafiasco wrote:
16 Aug 2023 06:18
So in other words he played 84% of the 52% of games he played last season.
In total, Tom played 44.7% of the offensive snaps last season which is actually pretty good for a fourth round pick in his rookie season. Actually that ranked 18th among all rookies drafted on day three last year.
Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Aug 2023 08:16
They don't need to see the entire defense, they simply need to communicate across the line which is what they do. 'Set the protection" isn't something QBs do for the offensive line. It is moving a back or TE to help combat a possible blitz or stunt. OL can't be moved around now can they zero in on a certain "protection" as blitzes and stunts would make it pretty useless as so as the ball is snapped. OL block an area and the most the QB can really do for them is help call out potential blitzes. What do you believe "set the protection" looks like?
While the offensive linemen can adjust their protection to take care of defensive lineman and edge rushers they need to rely on the quarterback to adjust it once the blitz is uncovered by the alignment of the secondary. You just need to listen to some quarterbacks taking care of identifying the "mike" to realize they're the one responsible for setting the protection.
YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Aug 2023 08:31

Bakhtiari is still an elite left tackle when healthy enough to play. I don't care about him needing to rest during camp as he will be ready to play no matter what. Once again it seems that you put too much stock into reports out of practice to conclude that Tom would be a decent replacement for him before having any evidence to back up that statement from games that actually matter.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yes, Bahk is still elite “when he is healthy enough.” No doubt.

The question is whether shuffling the OLine to accommodate him being in and out has a negative impact. Apparently, the Packers feel they do well enough with this. Or, they would’ve jettisoned 69 last year. They’ve given him quite a lot of patience to deal with his limitations. They must feel like he still make enough impact when he does play to justify this.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

CWIMM wrote:
17 Aug 2023 02:47
Bakhtiari is still an elite left tackle when healthy enough to play. I don't care about him needing to rest during camp as he will be ready to play no matter what. Once again it seems that you put too much stock into reports out of practice to conclude that Tom would be a decent replacement for him before having any evidence to back up that statement from games that actually matter.
I don't understand what it is people are not understanding that "when healthy enough to play" is the part that's vastly in question.

He has played in 12 of the Packers' past 40 games including playoffs. He is missing practice UNSCHEDULED now. Like they will tell the press that "he's off today but will be back tomorrow" and he isn't. They'll tell the press "the plan is for him to participate in Family Night" and he won't.

Elite when healthy isn't up for debate. The man is NOT healthy and he has not been for three years now

And sure, I'm optimistic about Zach Tom but "reports out of practice"? Come on. We've seen him on the field last year and in a preseason game and he is routinely grading among out top 2 performers on the line.

So yeah, I am all about getting Zach Tom on the field and all about kvetching about how dumb it is that we have a $40 million cap charge for a LT who hasn't been consistently on the field for two and a half years and still isn't able to make it onto the practice field according to the team's proposed schedule on a day-to-day basis
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 17 Aug 2023 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Aug 2023 08:35
CWIMM wrote:
I don't understand what it is people are not understanding that "when healthy enough to play" is vastly in question.

He has played in 12 of the Packers' past 40 games including playoffs. He is missing practice UNSCHEDULED now. Like they will tell the press that "he's off today but will be back tomorrow" and he isn't. They'll tell the press "the plan is for him to participate in Family Night" and he won't.

Elite when healthy isn't up for debate. The man is NOT healthy and he has not been for three years now

And sure, I'm optimistic about Zach Tom but "reports out of practice"? Come on. We've seen him on the field last year and in a preseason game and he is routinely grading among out top 2 performers on the line.

So yeah, I am all about getting Zach Tom on the field and all about kvetching about how dumb it is that we have a $40 million cap charge for a LT who hasn't been consistently on the field for two and a half years and still isn't able to make it onto the practice field according to the team's proposed schedule on a day-to-day basis
It is highly likely that Nijman is the LT for too much of this season. I think Tom belongs at RT and we will hope for the best with Myers. The problem is that Nijman is not really that good. This is what, his 5th year in the league? Walker might also be an option at LT, or even Jones but more likely the Packers have to make do with Nijman this season and use one of their 1st round picks on a LT next spring.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

CWIMM wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Aug 2023 08:16
They don't need to see the entire defense, they simply need to communicate across the line which is what they do. 'Set the protection" isn't something QBs do for the offensive line. It is moving a back or TE to help combat a possible blitz or stunt. OL can't be moved around now can they zero in on a certain "protection" as blitzes and stunts would make it pretty useless as so as the ball is snapped. OL block an area and the most the QB can really do for them is help call out potential blitzes. What do you believe "set the protection" looks like?
While the offensive linemen can adjust their protection to take care of defensive lineman and edge rushers they need to rely on the quarterback to adjust it once the blitz is uncovered by the alignment of the secondary. You just need to listen to some quarterbacks taking care of identifying the "mike" to realize they're the one responsible for setting the protection.
Offensive linemen can absolutely adjust to linebackers on their own. Pointing out the Mike is an old gap run blocking schematic, not a pass blocking one. While the QB can help point out POSSIBLE blitzes due to alignment and motion adjustments and players jumping, he can do no more than that simply because they can all be feints. For example 2 ILBs can sugar a double A gap blitz and then drop out into coverage. If, as you believe, the QB is setting protection for that blitz it would be a disaster. The post snap rushers would not align with what the presnap read. Also, stunts, such as a DE/DT twist wouldn't be noticed presnap. OL themselves are responsible for communicating and working together in pass protection. Again, I will ask, what do you believe happens when you say a QB sets the protection? Take us through what a QB does.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 17 Aug 2023 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

one thing seems constant, almost every member of this forum has a issue with some or many decisions this FO has made since 2016, I think Lupe leads the group ( maybe not) but I got a hold of his coat tails :lol: (as I hold up my stock receipt :lol: )

again it takes older guys longer to heal, we watched Clifton take 2 seasons, same with Bulaga, I think this is what we are seeing with Bakhtiari, from what I've seen and heard the installs where mostly minor adjustments to last years offense, same with the OL, the musical chairs applies to player development, not scheme change, Bakh needs very little practice to continue doing what he has for most of his career.

the claims of rebuilding obviously don't include LT, in fact I don't think those claims are valid to begin with except at receiver, and they sure havn't been playing like rookies in this TC.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
17 Aug 2023 09:12
one thing seems constant, almost every member of this forum has a issue with some or many decisions this FO has made since 2016, I think Lupe leads the group ( maybe not) but I got a hold of his coat tails :lol: (as I hold up my stock receipt :lol: )

again it takes older guys longer to heal, we watched Clifton take 2 seasons, same with Bulaga, I think this is what we are seeing with Bakhtiari, from what I've seen and heard the installs where mostly minor adjustments to last years offense, same with the OL, the musical chairs applies to player development, not scheme change, Bakh needs very little practice to continue doing what he has for most of his career.

the claims of rebuilding obviously don't include LT, in fact I don't think those claims are valid to begin with except at receiver, and they sure havn't been playing like rookies in this TC.
Clifton had a massive injury, the kind of injury normal people spend the rest of their life in a wheelchair from. And yet he started all 16 games and 2 playoff games the following year.

Bulaga tore his ACL in 2013 and had his best year in 2014. In 2017 Bulaga tore his other ACL and played 14 games in 2018 although he was never again elite.

I fail to understand how either Clifton or Bulaga are relevant to Bakh who tore his ACL in 2020 and still is a week to week decision. They healed and played well after their injuries, Bakh is still not healthy.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
17 Aug 2023 09:12

again it takes older guys longer to heal, we watched Clifton take 2 seasons, same with Bulaga, I think this is what we are seeing with Bakhtiari,
The one thing that should be very clear is nothing Bakhtiari went through or is going through is normal - even for his age. Bak is a very unfortunte anamoly.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
17 Aug 2023 11:18
bahahahaha :rotf:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ug, hope this new x url just eventually posts normal and I don’t have to do anything to fix it. :lol:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Apparently Campbell is hurt. Serious ankle injury

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
18 Aug 2023 02:03
Apparently Campbell is hurt. Serious ankle injury
Yep, as usual, it was reported as no big deal and then the media found an air cast and scooter at his locker.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Any of our medical friends have any speculation as to whether this puts him in jeopardy for Week 1? I would think so, but I am no Dr.

Read More. Post Less.