Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Foosball wrote:
23 Aug 2023 00:05
Yoop wrote:
11 May 2023 09:47
TheSkeptic wrote:
11 May 2023 02:03
I do not expect Love to be as good as either Rodgers or Favre or even Majik. Those 3 had more talent than Love has. But I expect Love to be a good game manager, to take what the D gives him, to hand the ball to Jones or Dillon and let them and the Oline take the steam out of the opposing D. To make the 10 yard throw to Watson or Reed and watch them tag on YAC. To make the 7 yard pass on 3rd and 5 to the new TE's or a screen pass to the RB. To be careful with the ball but to also understand that punting is a failure by the QB and almost as bad as an interception.

This is a good O. Last season the Oline was not healthy. Watson missed half the season before he got healthy and then Doubs got hurt. Jones and Dillon did not have great years because the blocking was not consistent. Right now, the O looks the best it has been in a long time. Love does not need to win games, he just needs not to lose them. And that is precisely what he will do, just win.

As for comparison, well my all time favorite Packer. Bart Starr. Never had the greatest arm like Unitas, but good enough to make tough passes. Never a scrambler like Tarkington, but not a target for Dlinemen either. Just a leader. Just a winner. Just a teammate.
Bart was better then Johnny U. John played for a pass first team, Baltimore won passing the ball, GB won running it, just saying that that changes the scope of how these two QB's are compared, imo it sheds some confusion on just how accurate Starr was, and he was very accurate, Starr had some great receivers in Dale, McGee and Dowler, but Johnny U did as well with Raymond Berry, arguably on the level of Hudson, and those two dominated, also had Lenny Moore.

whatever I think your short changing your Fav Packer Skeptic :aok:

here are stats for each

https://www.footballdb.com/players/john ... -unitajo01

There is a reason Baltimore was a passing team and the Packers were a running team. The colts had Unitas.
imo Bart Starr is one of the most under rated QB of all time, and thats because we where a running team.

Starr has the 2nd highest postseason passer rating (104.8) after Patrick Mahomes (106.1). of any quarterback in NFL history and a postseason record of 9–1. His career completion percentage of 57.4 was an NFL best when he retired in 1972.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bart+st ... UTF-8#ip=1

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Yoop wrote:
23 Aug 2023 07:11
Foosball wrote:
Yoop wrote:
11 May 2023 09:47

Bart was better then Johnny U. John played for a pass first team, Baltimore won passing the ball, GB won running it, just saying that that changes the scope of how these two QB's are compared, imo it sheds some confusion on just how accurate Starr was, and he was very accurate, Starr had some great receivers in Dale, McGee and Dowler, but Johnny U did as well with Raymond Berry, arguably on the level of Hudson, and those two dominated, also had Lenny Moore.

whatever I think your short changing your Fav Packer Skeptic :aok:

here are stats for each

There is a reason Baltimore was a passing team and the Packers were a running team. The colts had Unitas.
imo Bart Starr is one of the most under rated QB of all time, and thats because we where a running team.

Starr has the 2nd highest postseason passer rating (104.8) after Patrick Mahomes (106.1). of any quarterback in NFL history and a postseason record of 9–1. His career completion percentage of 57.4 was an NFL best when he retired in 1972.

I wonder what more he could have done if his back wasn't destroyed in an Alabama hazing incident.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
23 Aug 2023 23:56
A lot to like. He is going to have rings in a few years.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Aug 2023 03:03
A lot to like. He is going to have rings in a few years.
One thing Gute is right about with Love, he needs to play. He will get better, the question is what is his ceiling. It took three years to get to the point that most other R1 would be after one year on the bench.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Cdragon wrote:
23 Aug 2023 19:31
Yoop wrote:
23 Aug 2023 07:11
Foosball wrote:

I wonder what more he could have done if his back wasn't destroyed in an Alabama hazing incident.
wasn't aware of that :dunno:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I am loving the work that we’ve seen of Love so far this TC. I’m sure there’s lots that we haven’t seen. Coming into TC, my expectations were that we could see him 1) learn to work within the system with his passing, 2) take care of the ball, 3) show a little running/escape ability, 4) spread the ball around to various receivers. Within that, we would see his game management skills from top to bottom. In a way, I just had low to moderate expectations, wanting him to show that he just won’t mess up. If I had to compare, I’d want to see a little less experienced version of what Jared Goff showed us last year. Nothing spectacular and nothing that harms the team.

So far, I think that is exactly what we have seen.

Where he has exceeded those expectations, I believe, is his willingness to exploit the center of the field safely.

All that said, in another week and a half, it’s going to be an entirely different ball game. Literally.
The speed of the game will increase.
The anxiety of real time will increase.
The leadership ability and performance will still need to take another step forward.
The scheme will shift from vanilla to something more complex.
Truly, more will be on the line. It’ll be important for these Packers to win BEFORE October. Love will need to throw TDs and protect the ball before then. Otherwise, the love and adoration that we’ve seen in TC/PS will be gone. Period.

Keys for regular season:
1. The scheme and OLine must do their part to let Love do his part. Will they enable a clean QB to process what he needs to grow and perform?
2. Love must take another step forward in how he sees/feels the game. All of the snaps from last season hardly matter. He isn’t subbing anymore. He is QB1.
3. The D and ST must WIN the field position game. Give the young QB a short a field as possible on a regular basis.
4. What about the young guys (Tom, Watson/Doubs, Reed, Musgrave, etc.)? We don’t need all start. But we do need consistent work that moves the chains and shows it can score.

I think we have every reason to think they’ve all done their part so far. I couldn’t ask for more. And I’m not just being a homer or buying in to the adoration being heaped on this young team so far. Looking at the technical stuff and performances against qualified teams. It’s been real good.

Let’s pray it all continues on the same trajectory once the real football begins.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Kurt Warner talking about Love's preseason:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

So we've got JT O'Sullivan, Dan Orlovsky, and Kurt Warner all confirming that Jordan Love is seeing the field well, making the right reads, and going to the right place with the ball almost every time... and also some agreement that ball placement is occasionally iffy and that when his feet aren't aligned with his throw is when he seems to struggle with accuracy. Not to mention that's what the amateur Packers film guys are seeing, too.

Sounds like a consensus on who/what he is right now. And also that's a guy you can absolutely win with if the supporting cast is good enough. And also that's a guy that can continue to improve as he plays. I like it.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Aug 2023 09:42
So we've got JT O'Sullivan, Dan Orlovsky, and Kurt Warner all confirming that Jordan Love is seeing the field well, making the right reads, and going to the right place with the ball almost every time... and also some agreement that ball placement is occasionally iffy and that when his feet aren't aligned with his throw is when he seems to struggle with accuracy. Not to mention that's what the amateur Packers film guys are seeing, too.

Sounds like a consensus on who/what he is right now. And also that's a guy you can absolutely win with if the supporting cast is good enough. And also that's a guy that can continue to improve as he plays. I like it.
I think he has a little Favre rhythm accuracy to him. He is going to go hot and cold. Hope he rides the waves better than the old gunslinger did.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
26 Aug 2023 14:28
YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Aug 2023 09:42

I think he has a little Favre rhythm accuracy to him. He is going to go hot and cold. Hope he rides the waves better than the old gunslinger did.
Yeah, I can see that with the Rocky starts and settling in. Though notably no picks in preseason and very few in camp

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Damn, if this guy has it between the ears, he could really really be special.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

From former NFL GM Randy Mueller via the Athletic

"Having sat for three years, it’s clear that Love is farther ahead on the learning curve than the others on this list. You don’t need my opinion to tell you that is true.

But Love’s confidence throwing into tight windows has grown in this year’s training camp, and it has shown in preseason games. The way he has carried himself, the body language, the attention to detail — it’s all improved. Compare it to riding shotgun while someone else drives the truck on a delivery route every day. As a passenger, you kinda know, but you really don’t use your directional instincts the same as you would when you drive. You see things from a totally different perspective once you’re in the driver’s seat. Love is now the driver.

He has shown us the things that the Packers have seen all along. He is very athletic and fluid, which allows him to escape the rush when needed. He can throw from different arm angles and release points while remaining effective and accurate on the move. His arm strength is above average, and the ball has a liveliness to it when it comes off his hand. He is still learning what he can get away with and what he can’t, but I like his eagerness to make a play. Long balls still float a bit, but he is able to vary the velocity of the throw to fit the distance and windows that he has to make the completion.

The tools around Love have been improved from years past, and I like where this one is headed for everyone involved, including the decision-makers who have been criticized by many throughout the process of moving on from Aaron Rodgers. The Packers are trending up.

if I was purchasing stock on these six guys based on what I know right now, here is the order in which I would allocate my money:

1. Pickett
2. Love
3. Fields
4. Jones
5. Howell
6. Ridder

IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
28 Aug 2023 09:56
if I was purchasing stock on these six guys based on what I know right now, here is the order in which I would allocate my money:

1. Pickett
2. Love
3. Fields
4. Jones
5. Howell
6. Ridder
I read most of this article and it was great; thanks for binging snippets of it here.

Guess I didn't finish it though because I don't remember the Howell section and am surprised to see him down at 5th. He's been looking really sharp to the naked eye in preseason (I'm local so I get Commanders games)

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

BF004 wrote:
27 Aug 2023 22:46
Damn, if this guy has it between the ears, he could really really be special.

He also seems to have the “off platform” throwing pretty good. That’s almost an expectation for good NFL QBs these days.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Scott4Pack wrote:
28 Aug 2023 14:11
He also seems to have the “off platform” throwing pretty good. That’s almost an expectation for good NFL QBs these days.
Throwing on the move in general. Used to be a rare skill that few possessed. But still its a "good QB" skill, hard to believe a QB that throws well on the run (and is a throw first runner) will flame out bad.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Deadspin with their take on the Packers QB development plan vs the 49ers QB development plan

https://deadspin.com/jordan-love-trey-l ... 1850789080

" Packers put on QB-development masterclass... as Niners present case study in how not to handle young talent"
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

And one more Love snippet that caught my eye today

"Jordan Love has the same MVP odds as QBs Matthew Stafford and Kirk Cousins at BetMGM"

They are all 5000 to 1 LOL
But if Love has a typical Stafford/Cousins year on the stat sheet - that's encouraging
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Can you bet on Love winning MVP in ‘24

If that’s still like 1000:1 odds, I could see throwing something at that.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BF004 wrote:
30 Aug 2023 18:44
Can you bet on Love winning MVP in ‘24

If that’s still like 1000:1 odds, I could see throwing something at that.
Yeah, I would bet 100 dollars on that.