Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Jan 2023 18:28

Why would Aaron Rodgers sign a new deal that pays him less?
1) He knew that this deal was going to change, so its not like he was counting on that placeholder cash
2) With all of the roster bonuses, signing bonuses, accelerators, NLTBE etc- how can we really say what's "less" or " more"

He may get less money, but more of it guaranteed
He may get less overall money, but more of it in 2023

The byzantine nature of top QB contracts leaves a lot of room for Gute/Ball and Rodgers/Dunn to make it work favorably for both parties
When Drew Brees retired, they re-did his deal and millions went away in the snap of a finger. ( Not all, but a huge chunk )
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
24 Jan 2023 18:17
Even if Rodgers is traded, that place-holder deal will be re-done. Also, Ken Ingalls can kiss my ample ass
He’s earned his niche on social media packers, but clear everyone has their own agenda.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Rodgers cap hit for 2023 is 31.6m - that isn't even bad.

It is 10th amongst Qbs.

It shouldn't be an issue - he should just be back and playing which i expect to be the case.

We should save this chat for next year.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
24 Jan 2023 18:33
Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Jan 2023 18:28

Why would Aaron Rodgers sign a new deal that pays him less?
1) He knew that this deal was going to change, so its not like he was counting on that placeholder cash
2) With all of the roster bonuses, signing bonuses, accelerators, NLTBE etc- how can we really say what's "less" or " more"

He may get less money, but more of it guaranteed
He may get less overall money, but more of it in 2023

The byzantine nature of top QB contracts leaves a lot of room for Gute/Ball and Rodgers/Dunn to make it work favorably for both parties
When Drew Brees retired, they re-did his deal and millions went away in the snap of a finger. ( Not all, but a huge chunk )
I don't believe what you are talking about and this:
His future deal will actually provide cap relief to the Packers in both the short term and the long term.
are possible without Rodgers ultimately making less. I don't see that happening as the relationship between the two parties has not been very amicable. I also don't see Rodgers retiring and ripping up the contract. Bree's money didn't go away, it got pushed into 2021 and 2022. This did not help the Saints in long term cap relief.

The big kicker with Rodgers' contract is the upcoming $60 million bonus.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The year everybody thought he was 100% gone, I remained skeptical.

This year most think he stays, I think it would be very rodgers esque…to now leave.

If forced to choose I think he’s a Jet next year.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Jan 2023 19:00
I don't see that happening as the relationship between the two parties has not been very amicable.
I think this is coloring your opinion on the topic.
Both Gute and Rodgers have gone out of their way to say how positive things are now, they talk all the time, there is no animosity.
Rodgers has a chance to weigh in on personnel and he even commented at the trade deadline that Gute kept him abreast and AR was on board with the decisions and non-decisions. They have a much better partnership after the blow up than before and I have no idea where your not very amicable comes from other than media agitators. If you have something I missed on that front, kindly share it

I'm not competent to debate the intricacies of this intricate deal - its got a ton of moving parts and its only a placeholder
Here's a blurb from the owner of Over The Cap, even he acknowledges the unique nature of this deal

"As I mentioned before when discussing Rodgers, his is a very complex contract and the different “if’s and when’s” of the deal make it hard to present on OTC to cover all the various possibilities

Any money that can be moved or re-moved will be for either the Packers or the team that acquires him.
Right now, its a cap-killer...that's what it was designed to do.

When the next deal is signed, it will be less onerous for the Packers in 2023 and beyond because some of the non-guaranteed fluff gets flushed

And once that gets done, we can certainly re-visit.
IT. IS. TIME

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

But what about Rodgers throwing games in the first half of the year to get MLF fired and/or to make Gute get better WRs?
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
24 Jan 2023 19:25
Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Jan 2023 19:00
I don't see that happening as the relationship between the two parties has not been very amicable.
I think this is coloring your opinion on the topic.
Both Gute and Rodgers have gone out of their way to say how positive things are now, they talk all the time, there is no animosity.
Rodgers has a chance to weigh in on personnel and he even commented at the trade deadline that Gute kept him abreast and AR was on board with the decisions and non-decisions. They have a much better partnership after the blow up than before and I have no idea where your not very amicable comes from other than media agitators. If you have something I missed on that front, kindly share it

I'm not competent to debate the intricacies of this intricate deal - its got a ton of moving parts and its only a placeholder
Here's a blurb from the owner of Over The Cap, even he acknowledges the unique nature of this deal

"As I mentioned before when discussing Rodgers, his is a very complex contract and the different “if’s and when’s” of the deal make it hard to present on OTC to cover all the various possibilities

Any money that can be moved or re-moved will be for either the Packers or the team that acquires him.
Right now, its a cap-killer...that's what it was designed to do.

When the next deal is signed, it will be less onerous for the Packers in 2023 and beyond because some of the non-guaranteed fluff gets flushed

And once that gets done, we can certainly re-visit.
There is $1.2 million of non guaranteed money in 2023. That number is $2.3 million in 2024, $15.8 million in 2025 and $10 million in 2025. There is not a lot of fluff in the contract that would allow for both short term and long term cap relief unless Rodgers is willing to take less money in a new contract. Why would he do that? It's kind of naive to think that only 1 year from the shenanigans we saw before, that it would now all be water under the bridge and he would finally agree to a team friendly deal.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Jan 2023 20:02

There is $1.2 million of non guaranteed money in 2023. That number is $2.3 million in 2024, $15.8 million in 2025 and $10 million in 2025. There is not a lot of fluff in the contract that would allow for both short term and long term cap relief unless Rodgers is willing to take less money in a new contract. Why would he do that? It's kind of naive to think that only 1 year from the shenanigans we saw before, that it would now all be water under the bridge and he would finally agree to a team friendly deal.
So you think he's going to try and screw the Packers using his contract as the weapon ? :idn:

The shenanigans you think you saw last year was 90 % made- up &%$@ so the media knobs can get their clicks.
I think its kind of naive for anybody to think they have real insight into that relationship. We weren't in the room
In the end, AR and Gute got a chance to voice their opinions and they came out of it better than before. Its not personal, its just business.

So... I do not believe there is any significant animosity or acrimony between AR and the front office in 2023. If there was, why would he return ?
They may have different views - but they figured out how to work it all out. They need each other going forward no matter the outcome

I can't get too hung up on "taking less" I think its a meaningless phrase in this context - my comment was simply that the structure of this next deal will be less onerous than the current one (which was specifically designed to be unwieldy).
And given all the ways you can sort a deal, (AAV, Signing bonus, part 5 salary, cash flow etc) you can claim more/less/better/worse for any of them if you like.
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
24 Jan 2023 20:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Jan 2023 20:02

So you think he's going to try and screw the Packers using his contract as the weapon ? :idn:
No, just not sign a new team friendly deal.
The shenanigans you think you saw last year was 90 % made- up &%$@ so the media knobs can get their clicks.
I think its kind of naive for anybody to think they have real insight into that relationship. We weren't in the room
In the end, AR and Gute got a chance to voice their opinions and they came out of it better than before. Its not personal, its just business.
I agree that there was a lot of things the media made up, but there was a rift/schism. I don't believe that has been mended to the point that a team friendly deal is in the cards.
So... I do not believe there is any significant animosity or acrimony between AR and the front office in 2023. If there was, why would he return ?
They may have different views - but they figured out how to work it all out. They need each other going forward no matter the outcome
I also don't believe there is any significant animosity. On the other hand, I don't believe they need each other. I believe they both would be better served in a mutual split.
I can't get too hung up on "taking less" I think its a meaningless phrase in this context - my comment was simply that the structure of this next deal will be less onerous than the current one (which was specifically designed to be unwieldy).
And given all the ways you can sort a deal, (AAV, Signing bonus, part 5 salary, cash flow etc) you can claim more/less/better/worse for any of them if you like.
Less onerous to the team would be cap hit and only cap hit. It was said a new deal would provide cap relief in both the short and long term. I do not see how that can be possible without Aaron Rodgers himself signing a new deal that pays him less than the current one. The $60 million option that needs to be signed 2 days after the new league year starts up until week 1 or else it all hits in 2023. It very well may be the best option for the team to trade Rodgers before that is picked up.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-p ... gers-3745/.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The team isn’t ready for a championship with or without Rodgers. They don’t have the money or resources to make it that. Honestly the best time to move on was last year after Davante left. With Davante it was worth trying. Without him we should have moved on.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
24 Jan 2023 18:58
Rodgers cap hit for 2023 is 31.6m - that isn't even bad.

It is 10th amongst Qbs.

It shouldn't be an issue - he should just be back and playing which i expect to be the case.

We should save this chat for next year.
Do you think the Packers are or can be serious 2023 contenders?

If the answer isn't yes, then we must trade him. His $31 million hits in 2023 yes. But him playing on the Packers in 2023 also guarantees the Packers must take on an additional I believe $68 million in cap beyond 2023 for absolutely 0 service.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Jan 2023 21:37
The team isn’t ready for a championship with or without Rodgers. They don’t have the money or resources to make it that. Honestly the best time to move on was last year after Davante left. With Davante it was worth trying. Without him we should have moved on.
most teams aren't ready either, but they don't give up, they do what they can to retain and add talent, and win as many games as they can, they don't have a SB or bust mentality, and that won't change this coming year no matter who our QB is.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
25 Jan 2023 06:57
they don't have a SB or bust mentality,
thus, why we have only one SB in the Rodgers era

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jan 2023 08:16
Yoop wrote:
short of improving the WR position the FO did what it could to compete for the SB the last 3 years, most teams that go all in buying a bunch of UFA don't win a SB, some don't even make the PO's, we see one team do it and people act as though thats the winning formula.

same with tanking, and rebuilding, Cinci had to pick top 5 or 10 for 5 straight years to build the team they have now, We'd fire Gutekunst long before he'd be allowed to do that, and Cinci didn't purposely be the worst team in the league to pull that off, they simply sucked

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
25 Jan 2023 09:35
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
short of improving the WR position the FO did what it could to compete for the SB the last 3 years, most teams that go all in buying a bunch of UFA don't win a SB, some don't even make the PO's, we see one team do it and people act as though thats the winning formula.

same with tanking, and rebuilding, Cinci had to pick top 5 or 10 for 5 straight years to build the team they have now, We'd fire Gutekunst long before he'd be allowed to do that, and Cinci didn't purposely be the worst team in the league to pull that off, they simply sucked
Improving wr position is pretty important in todays NFL.

The four teams left have:
Chiefs-Juju and Kelce
Bengals-Jamar chase, tee Higgins
Eagles: Davanta smith, AJ Brown
Niners: Deebo Samuel, Brandon Aiyuk.

As you can see, makes sense we didn’t make much noise when you compare our group to the groups on the final 4.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Labrev wrote:
24 Jan 2023 12:26
Trade rumors picking up steam. It will be interesting to hear what Rodgers says on McAfee today.

A new update, Packers rumored to only be considering trading Rodgers to the AFC:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/br ... b295521789
That rumor (yes, only a RUMOR) per Schefter was completely and entirely not substantiated. When Schefter and others say things like “this could happen” or “this is a possibility” or “this is an intriguing option” they are NOT telling us what might happen or what is known to happen. From so-called “reporters” this is nothing but filler and probably 100% untrue. Some of those guys put stuff out there hoping it’ll actually happen so that they can look like they have special insight. But it’s only filler.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Jan 2023 09:56
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Chiefs-Juju and Kelce

As you can see, makes sense we didn’t make much noise when you compare our group to the groups on the final 4.
Important distinction, Kelce plays TE. In that case, Lazard, Watson, and Doubs are pretty much the equivalent of what JuJu was for KC. The bigger issue is we don't yet have that #1 guy. It's probably Watson as we go forward, but in terms of 2022, we didn't have it.

Read More. Post Less.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

The words that Aaron Rodgers has spoken thus far (since end of the last game against Lions) that I keep as must important, are “generational wealth.” Rodgers knows that he has been gifted an awful lot. He is therefore in position to only act in ways that benefit the team that has given him that generational wealth.

Whatever happens, he will give a discount of some kind to the Packers as they rework his deal and/or trade him. They scratched his back in a big way and he will reciprocate by scratching theirs in some way.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
25 Jan 2023 10:14
Drj820 wrote:
25 Jan 2023 09:56
Yoop wrote:

Chiefs-Juju and Kelce

Important distinction, Kelce plays TE. In that case, Lazard, Watson, and Doubs are pretty much the equivalent of what JuJu was for KC. The bigger issue is we don't yet have that #1 guy. It's probably Watson as we go forward, but in terms of 2022, we didn't have it.
schemes are more limited when ya lack the players when ya design your offense.

It's like thinking Shanahan had to redesign his schemes because of Purdy, no he did not, Shanahan schemes, just like Lafleurs ( any coach) revolve around the supporting cast, not so much the QB, in that way, you can lose the starter, and still be competitive, obviously whomever the QB is still has to play mistake free football.

It's why it was wrong for our GM's to ride the coat tails of Rodgers and Adams so heavily, take away either and the offense crumbles as it did this year.