Fun Facts

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Raptorman wrote:
26 Jun 2023 20:03
Yoop wrote:
26 Jun 2023 17:11
Pugger wrote:
23 Jun 2023 07:30

Hubby and I took a ride over there on Sunday. It made me wonder what most of those folks who went to games that very first year would think if they could see how it looks today!
no kidding, west of Grove street was like desert and weeds, I was at that first game, in fact I romped around that place when it was being built, thats a long time ago now, GB has really grown in 60 years, good thing for GPS or I'd never find my way around :rotf:
Damn you are old. :)
I resemble that remark! :favre:

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pugger wrote:
27 Jun 2023 19:43
Raptorman wrote:
26 Jun 2023 20:03
Yoop wrote:
26 Jun 2023 17:11

no kidding, west of Grove street was like desert and weeds, I was at that first game, in fact I romped around that place when it was being built, thats a long time ago now, GB has really grown in 60 years, good thing for GPS or I'd never find my way around :rotf:
Damn you are old. :)
I resemble that remark! :favre:
I’m not that far behind myself.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Yoop wrote:
27 Jun 2023 10:09
Cdragon wrote:
27 Jun 2023 08:50
AmishMafia wrote:
25 Jun 2023 07:44
Emlen Tunnell card is humorous. The football shaped logo and along with his pose, makes it look like he missed the catch badly.
Only guy the Giants let Vince take with him, when he got the job in Packerland.
good point, actually I heard that the Giants later offered Vince the HC job to leave the Packers
Mara tried to get him back saying something to the effect that he only loaned him to the Packers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Cdragon wrote:
28 Jun 2023 08:03
Yoop wrote:
27 Jun 2023 10:09
Cdragon wrote:
27 Jun 2023 08:50

Only guy the Giants let Vince take with him, when he got the job in Packerland.
good point, actually I heard that the Giants later offered Vince the HC job to leave the Packers
Mara tried to get him back saying something to the effect that he only loaned him to the Packers.
yep, but there are so many conflicting stories about that, Dom Olejniczak had to seek permission to talk to Lombardi from Wellington Mara and the story goes promised to allow the Giants to hire him back when there present HC ( Howell) resigned, Ole reneged on the deal 2 years later when Howell quit.
several other high end NFL coaches and owners including Wellington Mara ( George Halas, Paul Brown) advised Vince to take the Packer job.

at the time our GM was Ernie Lewellen, imo our real GM was Jack Vainisi, and Vince demoted Lewellen and kept Jack as his personal manager, and there are some other articles that state that Vainisi through his brother Jerry Vainisi and George Halas where the people that got Olejniczak to investigate Vince as a HC prospect in the first place, personally I think OLe stole that spot light and gobbled up the credit, Ole should have promoted Jack to GM and fired Lewellen years prior, these where the opinions of my father, my uncle and plenty of townsfolk during the mid 1950's.

https://archive.jsonline.com/sports/pac ... 46156.html

Vince, the grandfather or one of em of the famous zone blocking scheme, or run to daylight

The Giants years
At the age of 41, Lombardi accepted the offensive coordinator position for the 1954 season. Lombardi would invent a new blocking style with the Giants he called “Running to Daylight.” The customary style of blocking at the time was for an offensive lineman to block one particular player for each play with the running back set to enter a specific hole. Under Lombardi’s system the lineman would block in a specific area and take out whomever was in that area. Then the running back would choose whatever hole was open.

The 1953 Giants were dead last in the NFL in total offense. For the 1954 season, the club jumped to sixth in the league in total offense then to third in 1955. Lombardi was an expert of talent evaluation and switched two-way flanker/safety Frank Gifford (who was about to quit the game) to full time halfback. The magic culminated in 1956 when the Giants won the NFL title, their fourth, while Gifford was named NFL MVP.

https://www.bigblueview.com/nfl-playoff ... tom-landry