Paco's thread on the 2023 season

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

CWIMM wrote:
24 Oct 2023 06:05
MY_TAKE wrote:
23 Oct 2023 16:09
Not sure where we will be with the salary cap next year (im sure others have that figured out) but why not go after a really good free agent if one is available that fits the mold.
The Packers are currently slated to enter next offseason with the 20th most cap space in the league. That's not a huge amount of money available to spend on free agents. In addition I'm not convinced that would be a smart approach considering the makeup of the roster anyway.
LombardiTime wrote:
23 Oct 2023 23:26
Gutey? I notice that the "in Gutey we trust crowd" among the fan base and even in the press has been a bit less vocal since the season began in comparison to how confident they were about his abilities during the offseason. Still, I think more Packer fans have faith in Gutey than any other person or aspect of the organization at the present time.
I can't speak for other posters but I don't have a ton of confidence in Gutekunst being able to turn it around. Especially if Love doesn't work out as he hoped for.
You have to add another $20M because under no circumstances are we paying $40M to Bak to be unreliable again.

Another Gutenbumst special to continue pushing money on a guy having knee complications.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Oct 2023 03:53
Watch that game again, and pay attention to Nijman vs Tom.
Watch this past Sunday's game again, and pay attention to how the offense plays noticeably better with Myers out of the starting lineup, Tom at C, Nijman at T. Turns out, Detroit was just a bad game, not a career-defining moment for Yosh.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

the promotion of assistant trainee to positional coach may have struck again with Butkus, I know thats the way we do this stuff, but we've struck out before trying it, nothing about this OL has impressed me these last couple years, nor has Stenavich impressed as a OC, to me neither promotion brought us the desired results.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I liked Tom at center

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Oct 2023 03:53
paco wrote:
23 Oct 2023 12:53
My next thing is the offensive line. Time to stop this crap and make a change. I still have hope for Walker, but he's floundering out there now. Time to get Nijman and Jones in there and Myers out (maybe Runyan too, he hasn't repaid my loyalty).

Put Tom at center and put Nijman and Jones as the tackles. How exactly has Nijman gotten in the dog house and relegated to ST duty? We didn't play him last year and it cost us. Is it costing us again now?
Nijman got into the doghouse vs the Lions in the last game last season. He was pathetic. Just plain pathetic. They pulled him at half time and put Tom in at RT and that Lions rookie never pressured Rodgers again.

Watch that game again, and pay attention to Nijman vs Tom. Frankly I would have cut his worthless azz 10 minutes after that game. But maybe they were hoping to trade him or something.

As for Jones, he is huge but moves like a bulldozer rather than like a modern tank. Maybe he could play RT but I am afraid he is way too slow to play LT. Can't say about Luke Tenuda but he is almost the same height and was 314 at his pro day vs 370 for Jones and likely a better athlete. Jones has been above 400 pounds in college and although he is likely down to 350 now, being that overweight in the past does not bode well for his future. Tenuda made the 53 but was put on IR the next day. Don't know his prognosis other than that it was an ankle injury. Oh, and Tenuda was a 6th round draft pick while Jones went undrafted
I forgot about Tenuta. If he's ready, yeah, give him a shot. But no idea what his status is. And yes, I recall that game and how bad Nijman was. But he deserves another shot. If he's still that bad, why do we still have him at all?
RIP JustJeff

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Oct 2023 06:34
You have to add another $20M because under no circumstances are we paying $40M to Bak to be unreliable again.

Another Gutenbumst special to continue pushing money on a guy having knee complications.
I agree the Packers will create $20 million of additional cap space by moving on from Bakhtiari after this season. But other teams will clear cap space before the new league year as well.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Now I'm thinking our only offensive threats are Love and Reed. That has to change starting at NOON on Sunday at Lambeau. The loss of Musgrave was devastating. The other receivers must step up. Desperately need the running game to resurface.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
26 Oct 2023 20:39
Now I'm thinking our only offensive threats are Love and Reed. That has to change starting at NOON on Sunday at Lambeau. The loss of Musgrave was devastating. The other receivers must step up. Desperately need the running game to resurface.
Musgrave hasn't done enough for me to consider his loss to be devastating.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

With a lot of the talk about who's fault it is, is MLF any good, etc...Here's my thoughts for the future today (may change tomorrow).

I don't see Murphy or Gutey going anywhere. Murphy's retirement is set for July 13th, 2025. It's possible those 2 would get rid of MLF and try to turn it around in 2024 with someone new, but it doesn't seem likely. So my assumption is these 3 are tied together the rest of this season and next.

From what I've seen so far, MLF's playcalling isn't a problem. But potentially leadership and inability to focus in certain areas. He was better before he had to stick his nose more in ST and defense. So that's where we need to start.

MLF needs to hire a real DC that he can trust to take over the defence and doesn't have to worry about it. He also needs an OC he can trust to take on all the extra stuff that has to be done. He can focus on big picture, leadership, and playcalling. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea for him to get an OC to do playcalling as well, but I dn't need it pushed that far.

Bisaccia should be able to handle ST, but its not like that's a top 10 unit. It's not quite the &%$@ it was, but I wouldn't call it good either.

With some new trusted staff where MLF can take some stuff off his plate, this should help him focus on what he does best.

But what about next season player wise? Tough call. My gut says stick with Love and see if he makes the jump next season after having a full season under his belt. Give him a better O-line and another weapon or 2 (hopefully someone we have steps up). If they are playoff contenders next year, Gutey and MLF stick around to see what they can do with it. If not, they are both gone. This is, I think, the most likely scenario.

Unless Gutey is assured to stick around and given a chance with a 2nd highly drafted QB, then I could see us going that route. But he likely then does that with MLF.

Anyway, that's where my mind is going today. Doing everything to avoid thinking about an upcoming contract negotiation that's kicking off this afternoon at my job.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
23 Oct 2023 12:41
With Watson hurt and I assuming missing more time, I hope this opens up more opportunities for Wicks and Reed. Wicks needs to be on the field more and getting the ball.

I also want to see more Kraft and less Deguara. Kraft flashes occasionally on blocking. Throw him in and give him the opportunites. It'll look ugly at times, but that doesn't matter now.

To that effect, I saw a tweet from someone saying the same thing. Let it loose. Let Love and the guys go and see what they can do. It's going to be ugly, but maybe they can find something that works. Because right now, there is no identity. Whatever box MLF is trying to fit them into isn't working.
It still puzzles me what Gute ever saw in Deguara... :?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

wallyuwl wrote:
23 Oct 2023 12:43
BF004 wrote:
23 Oct 2023 12:24
paco wrote:
23 Oct 2023 12:11
If this team does finish as a bottom 3 team and has a legit shot at a top QB, do they take it?
Without a pretty drastic turnaround where Love starts looking pretty good any everyone looks bad and we end up picking that low, wouldn't even consider an alternative.
Gute will never take the shot. He will draft a defensive player. I put about a 1% chance he would draft Marvin Jr. 0% chance he would take a top QB even if fell in his lap.
I donno about QB. He traded up to take Love.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
31 Oct 2023 12:49
paco wrote:
With Watson hurt and I assuming missing more time, I hope this opens up more opportunities for Wicks and Reed. Wicks needs to be on the field more and getting the ball.

I also want to see more Kraft and less Deguara. Kraft flashes occasionally on blocking. Throw him in and give him the opportunites. It'll look ugly at times, but that doesn't matter now.

To that effect, I saw a tweet from someone saying the same thing. Let it loose. Let Love and the guys go and see what they can do. It's going to be ugly, but maybe they can find something that works. Because right now, there is no identity. Whatever box MLF is trying to fit them into isn't working.
That entire draft class is puzzling. Its exactly what the media said it was... and most of us with an analytical brain. That was an F draft when it concluded and its and F draft now.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

LombardiTime wrote:
paco wrote:
23 Oct 2023 12:11
Talking with a friend this morning trying to figure out who to blame for various things. Logical answer is I don't know or everyone. Or maybe I just go Lupe and blame Murphy because he's at the top. How do you decide? Is it the players who aren't doing what they are told? Is it the coaches for not doing their job? Is it Gutey for not finding the talent? Is it Murphy for looking like a muppet?

I'm not going to put the blame on any 1 person or group. Its a collective effort that has lead us to what we are today. Are we destined for a strip-down and restart? Or do we have the core that will grow together and be ready to do good things next season? I don't have the answer yet and I think there is still time to answer that question. I'll have a more solid opinion when I'm eating turkey and stuffing in November.
I'd turn this analysis around a bit and ask Packer fans who they have confidence in to turn things around for the better, and why?

Murphy retires in July of 2025 so his time is all but up. I doubt many Packer fans see him as the key to a resurgence.

Gutey? I notice that the "in Gutey we trust crowd" among the fan base and even in the press has been a bit less vocal since the season began in comparison to how confident they were about his abilities during the offseason. Still, I think more Packer fans have faith in Gutey than any other person or aspect of the organization at the present time.

MLF and his coaching staff (including Joe Barry)? There seems to be a dwindling amount of support for MLF and that is in no small part due to his defensive coordinator.

The talent on the roster including but not limited to QB Jordan Love? There is still time for the roster generally and Love specifically to shine, but again I sense that there is more HOPE than there is faith among fans when it comes to the team's roster as currently constructed getting the present clown show turned around.

Personally, I think that the Packers are closer to a "strip-down and restart" than they are to a resurgence under the current President, GM, coaching staff, and roster.
My beef is it appears the guys are just not ready to play every week no matter how much time we have to prepare and that is a coaching issue. And I question MLF's judgement keeping Barry around. We have enough talent on that side of the ball so they shouldn't look this disjointed out there.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

CWIMM wrote:
MY_TAKE wrote:
Not sure where we will be with the salary cap next year (im sure others have that figured out) but why not go after a really good free agent if one is available that fits the mold.
The Packers are currently slated to enter next offseason with the 20th most cap space in the league. That's not a huge amount of money available to spend on free agents. In addition I'm not convinced that would be a smart approach considering the makeup of the roster anyway.
LombardiTime wrote:
I can't speak for other posters but I don't have a ton of confidence in Gutekunst being able to turn it around. Especially if Love doesn't work out as he hoped for.
Gute is like most other GMs. They overdraft QBs big time, mainly because of how critical that position is. Rodgers wasn't playing all that great leading up to that draft so I can understand their thinking. At least we didn't spend a top 5 pick on Love. Just ask the Bears. ;)

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

lupedafiasco wrote:
CWIMM wrote:
MY_TAKE wrote:
LombardiTime wrote:

We gave Bak that extension one month before he hurt his knee. Up to that time he wasn't injury prone and was playing at an All-Pro level.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

paco wrote:
31 Oct 2023 12:26
I don't see Murphy or Gutey going anywhere. Murphy's retirement is set for July 13th, 2025. It's possible those 2 would get rid of MLF and try to turn it around in 2024 with someone new, but it doesn't seem likely. So my assumption is these 3 are tied together the rest of this season and next.

Bisaccia should be able to handle ST, but its not like that's a top 10 unit. It's not quite the &%$@ it was, but I wouldn't call it good either.

Unless Gutey is assured to stick around and given a chance with a 2nd highly drafted QB, then I could see us going that route. But he likely then does that with MLF.
I think the only reason the Packers might want to move on from MLF after this season is that they don't want to be featured on Hard Knocks next year. BTW I'm only half-joking about that.

The Packers are currently ranked 28th in DVOA on special teams this season. They should definitely do better than that with a coach like Bisaccia.

As mentioned before, if Love ends up being a bust Gutekunst shouldn't get another chance to select a starting QB.
Pugger wrote:
31 Oct 2023 13:01
Gute is like most other GMs. They overdraft QBs big time, mainly because of how critical that position is. Rodgers wasn't playing all that great leading up to that draft so I can understand their thinking. At least we didn't spend a top 5 pick on Love. Just ask the Bears. ;)
The Packers were coming off making it to the NFCCG with Rodgers not playing at an elite level. It was common knowledge that in this system it takes most QBs until the second season to excel as it's a significant change from what the Packers ran under McCarthy.

Gutekunst trading up to select Love was a waste of a pick at that point.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Pugger wrote:
31 Oct 2023 13:05
lupedafiasco wrote:
CWIMM wrote:

We gave Bak that extension one month before he hurt his knee. Up to that time he wasn't injury prone and was playing at an All-Pro level.
Ive never had a problem with the initial contract. It made sense to sign him when we did, just really unlucky. I do have a massive problem with converting his salary to signing bonus and making it worse to cut him early when its clear he is struggling to return from the injury with consistency.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
03 Nov 2023 11:58
Pugger wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Ive never had a problem with the initial contract. It made sense to sign him when we did, just really unlucky. I do have a massive problem with converting his salary to signing bonus and making it worse to cut him early when its clear he is struggling to return from the injury with consistency.
One of the dumbest things i have ever witnessed in the history of professional sport ball
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Oct 2023 12:52
Pugger wrote:
31 Oct 2023 12:49
paco wrote:

That entire draft class is puzzling. Its exactly what the media said it was... and most of us with an analytical brain. That was an F draft when it concluded and its and F draft now.
that draft imo was dedicated to scheme changes, Lafleur brought outside stretch running, Dequara was the HB to block for it, faster then Lewis, with zero blocking skills to match though, Lewis kept his job, yep, Dequara was a miss..
same with Dillon, Lafleur wanted a beefier RB then Williams to match with Jones, it was a attempt to bring about a power running attack, jmo

price of the draft, misses tend to out number the hits :cry:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Nov 2023 12:09
lupedafiasco wrote:
03 Nov 2023 11:58
Pugger wrote:

One of the dumbest things i have ever witnessed in the history of professional sport ball
It's a big guy thing, they usually take longer to recover, specially trenchers, where joint strain is maximized on every play, Bakh situation isn't the norm, true, but it's not so out of ordinary either, Clifton took a year plus, Bulaga had some set backs, I think more lineman have set backs then those that don't ( guessing)