The Best Games by Position Players

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Jim Taylor and Paul Hornung both out rushing and outscoring Jim Brown in the 1965 NFL Championship Game.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Bogey wrote:
04 Jul 2024 12:24
Jim Taylor and Paul Hornung both out rushing and outscoring Jim Brown in the 1965 NFL Championship Game.
The highlights don't do this justice and I know 2003 was his big year, but this is the Ahman Green game that sticks out in my mind. I really thought after this 2,000 yards was in the cards for 2004. That 2004 Panthers Team had just come off a Super Bowl appearance and the defense was definitely a problem for teams.

Read More. Post Less.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Bogey wrote:
Hornung and Taylor weren't going against Nitschke! :beer2:

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Cdragon wrote:
04 Jul 2024 16:37
Bogey wrote:
Hornung and Taylor weren't going against Nitschke! :beer2:
True dat

Lambeau Field was a mud pit that day.
Attachments
Jim Brown.png
Jim Brown.png (170.85 KiB) Viewed 562 times
1965 nfl championship.png
1965 nfl championship.png (329.54 KiB) Viewed 562 times
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

In 1965 Paul Hornung scored 5 TDs against the Colts. Unfortunately, that same day Sayers scored 6 TDs and got all the headlines.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

One of my all time favorite Packers game was 2014 regular season against the Falcons. It was a hell of a shootout and in rebuke game to watch between Julio Jones and Jordy Nelson.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Not as epic as some already mentioned. But Nate Wayne had a way of coming out of his skin in prime time games. Al Michaels would make comments about it. It's like Wayne gained a whole new motivation in prime time. He went from ordinary to a real difference maker in those few games. Once he left Green Bay and went to the Eagles, he never matched those PT games.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I also need to mention Packer Nation in the PT game against da Bears when Rodgers went down. I was in that crowd. When they carted AR12 off the field, the collective all sighed how the season was over. Then, the guy came out in the second half with a fractured leg and played. We all know what happened by the end of the game.

After Cobb scored the leading TD, da Bears had the ball and time to make a score for the comeback. I will tell you guys that I have never in my life heard a crowd noise as loud as that noise was during that last drive. It was like a herd of freight trains came through the stadium. Amazing. And I am sure that Trubiski had no way to deal with that.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Scott4Pack wrote:
05 Jul 2024 19:48
I also need to mention Packer Nation in the PT game against da Bears when Rodgers went down. I was in that crowd. When they carted AR12 off the field, the collective all sighed how the season was over. Then, the guy came out in the second half with a fractured leg and played. We all know what happened by the end of the game.

After Cobb scored the leading TD, da Bears had the ball and time to make a score for the comeback. I will tell you guys that I have never in my life heard a crowd noise as loud as that noise was during that last drive. It was like a herd of freight trains came through the stadium. Amazing. And I am sure that Trubiski had no way to deal with that.
Mahh knee.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

I'd say Travis Williams' 4 kickoff returns for TDs in 1967, which included 2 kickoff returns in one game vs. the Browns at County Stadium, deserves returner position recognition. :clap:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
05 Jul 2024 20:59
I'd say Travis Williams' 4 kickoff returns for TDs in 1967, which included 2 kickoff returns in one game vs. the Browns at County Stadium, deserves returner position recognition. :clap:
Ahhh yes. Back when returns were fun and not some lame joke the NFL to look like they care about player safety.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
I named my beagle puppy after Travis Williams. What an exciting player he was!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

You could pick several guys from this game. Coffman, Dickey, Ellis. :woohoo:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The Packer player who, in a single record setting day back in 1978, ushered in the Don “Air” Coryell era for San Diego.

You’re welcome, Chargers fans.

Willie Buchanon Comes Up Big
After the game, the Chargers fired head coach Tommy Prothro and replaced him with Don Coryell. Coryell helped turn the Chargers season around 9-7 and brought his innovative “Air Coryell” offense to San Diego. Fouts led a record-setting offense that featured Charlie Joiner, John Jefferson, and Kellen Winslow, and helped turn the Chargers into a perennial playoff team.

“I started thinking I was responsible for Don Coryell,” Buchanon joked after he retired.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
06 Jul 2024 09:25
The Packer player who, in a single record setting day back in 1978, ushered in the Don “Air” Coryell era for San Diego.

You’re welcome, Chargers fans.

Willie Buchanon Comes Up Big
After the game, the Chargers fired head coach Tommy Prothro and replaced him with Don Coryell. Coryell helped turn the Chargers season around 9-7 and brought his innovative “Air Coryell” offense to San Diego. Fouts led a record-setting offense that featured Charlie Joiner, John Jefferson, and Kellen Winslow, and helped turn the Chargers into a perennial playoff team.

“I started thinking I was responsible for Don Coryell,” Buchanon joked after he retired.
defensive domination on both sides with Willie the air traffic controller, 4 picks, 1 for a TD, just awesome :clap:

thanks for all the memories everyone :aok: so many great games and players over the years.

as this clip attest, Coryell ranks amongst the great innovators of the modern day offenses, I had to add this link APB, hope you don't mind :hail:

Coryell first made a name for himself at San Diego State University from 1961-72, where he led his team to a 104-19-2 record using a then-rare pass-heavy offense. He amassed three undefeated seasons and contended with some of the biggest-name schools at the time, which propelled the Aztecs into Division I football and into the national conversation. Among his assistants at SDSU at the time were John Madden and Joe Gibbs (um, holy frickin' crap).

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/7/17/5900 ... ing-league

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

NCF wrote:
03 Jul 2024 10:04
I will start, one of the greatest games I have ever seen by a Packers Safety was the 2007 Divisional Playoffs by Atari Bigby. He was sensational. Big hits all over the field. Forced fumble, pass break-ups. I was so excited for what that Bigby-Collins pairing could have become.

Another one that stands out is actually the same player in two separate games. Tim Masthay in 2010 at the New York Jets was the most important player on the team in helping to pitch that shut-out. He followed that up with a brilliant NFC Championship Game that, without, may have allowed the Bears to get back into that game sooner.
I went into the season a Bigby hater but that changed after like 1 game, and I became a big fan. Wish he had lasted longer because he was really good at his peak

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

NCF wrote:
03 Jul 2024 10:04
Another one that stands out is actually the same player in two separate games. Tim Masthay in 2010 at the New York Jets was the most important player on the team in helping to pitch that shut-out. He followed that up with a brilliant NFC Championship Game that, without, may have allowed the Bears to get back into that game sooner.
Actually, thinking back at our history of punting, the greatest punting performance I have ever seen live was Derrick Frost in the 2008 season opener (Rodgers first start). No idea how he regressed into what he became, but he was simply amazing that night.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

When I think of pure domination from any player...I always come back to Woodson vs the Lions.

Charles Woodson: Thanksgiving 2009 at Detroit

7 tackles
1 sack
1 forced fumble
1 fumble recovery
4 passes defended
2 Interceptions
1 toucdown

The guy he covered? Only the potential best Wide Receiver in the history of the game:

Calvin Johnson was targeted 12 times. 2 catches. 10 yards.

I don't know how much more a defensive player can dominate a single game.

Unfortunately can't find just Woodson highlights for the game but I am attaching his 2009 highlights tape

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

williewasgreat wrote:
06 Jul 2024 05:14
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
You can throw in Desmond Howard's Superbowl with 244 yards in punt and kick returns and a TD. Earning the SB MVP.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Cdragon wrote:
10 Jul 2024 19:49
williewasgreat wrote:
06 Jul 2024 05:14
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
You can throw in Desmond Howard's Superbowl with 244 yards in punt and kick returns and a TD. Earning the SB MVP.
Yes certainly. Desmond made the cover of Sports Illustrated after Super Bowl 31. Not bad for the guy who was late getting out of the locker room and onto the field to run back the second half kickoff versus the 49ers in one of those Lambeau Field mud playoff games.