Smoking Meat Thread

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

You need some rub on those things BF.

BTP- I tried doing beef ribs about a month ago, they turned out good, but I am just not a beef rib guy. Baby backs for me.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk wrote:
11 Jul 2020 13:22

BTP- I tried doing beef ribs about a month ago, they turned out good, but I am just not a beef rib guy. Baby backs for me.
There is plenty on there, I like to do it a bit less. Then when they are done, ill lather them up with sweet baby rays and kiss them on the grill, 2-3 minutes per side.

Method I’m following this time, 3 hours smoke, 2 more hours back in tightly wrapped in foil, one more hour open, then to the grill, let em sit covered 10-15 mins

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BF004 wrote:
11 Jul 2020 13:41
Packfntk wrote:

There is plenty on there, I like to do it a bit less. Then when they are done, ill lather them up with sweet baby rays and kiss them on the grill, 2-3 minutes per side.

Method I’m following this time, 3 hours smoke, 2 more hours back in tightly wrapped in foil, one more hour open, then to the grill, let em sit covered 10-15 mins
Yep, use the 3-2-1 method every time with ribs. I put brown sugar and honey on the ribs when I wrap, and a little apple juice. Man I am jealous. Doing ribs tomorrow though. Make sure and share a pic!

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Wife wanted a dip for dinner, so I whipped this up on the smoker last night with homemade tortilla chips:

RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Good stuff. Looks delicious.

We did this for lunch Sunday, then 6 racks of ribs for dinner. It came out better than expected!
image.png
image.png (1.95 MiB) Viewed 625 times

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Damn, crab legs then ribs?

You get a bonus at work or something? :lol:

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
14 Jul 2020 12:28
Damn, crab legs then ribs?

You get a bonus at work or something? :lol:
:lol:
RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

HAHA, been trying to find other things to smoke, wanted to try king crab legs. Next is lobster tail.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Packfntk wrote:
11 Jul 2020 13:49
BF004 wrote:
11 Jul 2020 13:41
Packfntk wrote:

Yep, use the 3-2-1 method every time with ribs. I put brown sugar and honey on the ribs when I wrap, and a little apple juice. Man I am jealous. Doing ribs tomorrow though. Make sure and share a pic!
That’s almost exactly what I do with ribs. Only thing I add is some squeeze bottle Parkay soft margarine with the juice/br sugar/honey and flip it bone side up while it cooks those two hours in the wrap. Juicy, tender, and flavorful ribs every time.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Packfntk wrote:
14 Jul 2020 13:07
HAHA, been trying to find other things to smoke, wanted to try king crab legs. Next is lobster tail.
I have friends that swear by smoked lobster tail. Say it’s the best way to prep them. Haven’t done it personally...yet.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Anyone use a blackstone.. Flat top griddle. Ibe had mine for about 6 months and love it. Great for groups. Smash burgers and eggs are great on it. Did poor mans cheese steaks the other night and the kids killed it.

Home made venny chedder brats on it tonight with my oldest jar of sauerkraut. Prob 8 months old . Cant wait.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Smoked some country style ribs last night. The ribs turned out nice and I’ll probably do them like that from here on out...but damn if I didn’t get bit by a poor meat provider. The cuts of meat were so stringy and fatty tendon laden they were barely worth eating. Will never get my cuts from there again. So disappointing to put in the effort of a nice smoke and then have it ruined by a poor cut of meat!

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BTP- No, but I know several people who have them, and love them. May have to add that to my grill group. :lol:

APB- That is a bummer about the meat. Ditch that fool. Can I ask, how did you do the country style ribs? Never done them before, I always do full racks of baby backs.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Packfntk wrote:
20 Jul 2020 07:45
APB- That is a bummer about the meat. Ditch that fool. Can I ask, how did you do the country style ribs? Never done them before, I always do full racks of baby backs.
I had messed with doing country style a couple times with partial smokes and then grilling to finish them off but decided this time to go full bore smoking with a slow cook finish.

Used a apple/cherry mix of chips (I use a Masterbuilt electric smoker) after applying a simple rub of light coating of zesty Italian dressing and liberal amount of McCormick’s Smoky Montreal Steak seasoning. Placed in smoker and let ‘em smoke at 220 for 3 hrs or so. When they hit 165ish internal temp I placed them in one of those disposable aluminum trays with around 8 oz of half/half apple juice and a bbq spice mix I concoct. Just enough marinade to cover the bottom quarter or so. This produced a fantastic rib juice/marinade rendering that I later used as a bbq aus jus, btw. Put them back for another 2 hrs covered tightly with foil, flipping them about half way through. After 2 hours I threw them on a preheated grill and spread my straight bbq sauce concoction on them, let them marbleize, then removed and set for 10-15 min.

Flavor and smoke was really good on the decent pieces of meat. They were tender and juicy, as well. The juice/marinade rendering aus jus was a terrific kicker! Unfortunately, there were too many of the bad quality cuts that took away from enjoying the meal entirely.

I’m almost tempted to go get some good cuts and do it all over again despite still eating leftovers (in the form of shredded sandwiches) from the first!

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Sounds awesome. Man I want to ditch work and smoke now. HAHAHA!

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
19 Jul 2020 15:20
Anyone use a blackstone.. Flat top griddle. Ibe had mine for about 6 months and love it. Great for groups. Smash burgers and eggs are great on it. Did poor mans cheese steaks the other night and the kids killed it.

Home made venny chedder brats on it tonight with my oldest jar of sauerkraut. Prob 8 months old . Cant wait.
Wife just HAD to have one last summer.

"I'll use it all the time" nonsense.

I think she's used it two times in a year.

:kaboom:

I need to just use it for something, but I'm always wanting to smoke something instead.
RIP JustJeff

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Haha. Yea it needs to be used or its just a hunk of steal. Perfect for quick stuff and the bugers are better imo

Our house is always full with kids and such so I'm on it at the least 3x a week.

The primo I prob grill/smoke 1 or 2x a week. Dang I guess I really dont need a kitchen :dunno:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Tried a new rib recipe yesterday and used my Weber Kettle to smoke. Turned out pretty good. Wasn't diligent about taking pictures, though, but snapped a quick one of the leftovers.

Attachments
3479E656-1DC9-4D34-9CD3-46CBF5761778.jpeg
3479E656-1DC9-4D34-9CD3-46CBF5761778.jpeg (112.68 KiB) Viewed 544 times

Read More. Post Less.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Looks juicy!!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
22 Jul 2020 15:04
Tried a new rib recipe yesterday and used my Weber Kettle to smoke. Turned out pretty good. Wasn't diligent about taking pictures, though, but snapped a quick one of the leftovers.
How tough was the bite when you pulled them off? I'm not a big fan of fall-off-the-bone type ribs so I appreciate a little tug to get it off...but it's still gotta come clean off the bone! Smoking at 275 is much higher than I'm used to so a little hesitant to go that high.

I may have to try that technique, though. A lot of similarities to how I normally do ribs but some nuances that intrigue me.