Smoking Meat Thread

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Packfntk
Reactions:

Smoking Meat Thread

Post by Packfntk »

Saw that a few of you are into smoking meat. What do you do it on? What are your favs? Share here!

I have a Traeger Pro 34. Used to have a Masterbuilt chamber, but bought this a little over a year ago and love every minute of it.

image.png
image.png (741.09 KiB) Viewed 7673 times
image.png
image.png (1.74 MiB) Viewed 7673 times
image.png
image.png (1.74 MiB) Viewed 7673 times
Smoke everything, butts, lots of ribs, cheese, veggies, chicken, even tried meat loaf. What you got?
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I smoke on a Weber Smokey Mountain, the 18-inch. I thought about getting an offset (Traeger), but didn't want to cough up an extra few hundred dollars. I really like the Weber, however it being a vertical smoker I sometimes hate having to take it piece by piece to move it. Granted you don't have to do this often. I mostly smoke pork butts, loins, ribs, chicken, and chuck roast for sandwiches. I've done the vegetables on it too. I haven't tried smoking cheese yet though, or fish. I still struggle trying to get chicken skin to crisp up, but other than that... most everything I've done has turned out really good.

Plan on smoking something this weekend for the holiday. If I remember to take some pictures I'll be sure to post them!
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I've been wanting to get a slab of pork belly and cube it up for some tasty morsels. However, I'm afraid they'll be rather fatty - something the wife and kids might not eat.
RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

TheGreenMan wrote:
02 Jul 2020 09:59
I've been wanting to get a slab of pork belly and cube it up for some tasty morsels. However, I'm afraid they'll be rather fatty - something the wife and kids might not eat.

If you smoke them long enough they will be delicious and not have a fatty bite.

I did my own bacon for the first time a couple months ago (Smoked a 12 pound pork belly). I will never buy store bought bacon again.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Packfntk wrote:
02 Jul 2020 10:12
TheGreenMan wrote:
02 Jul 2020 09:59

If you smoke them long enough they will be delicious and not have a fatty bite.

I did my own bacon for the first time a couple months ago (Smoked a 12 pound pork belly). I will never buy store bought bacon again.
Well, maybe I'll be trying that for sure!

Ever try a pizza?
RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

TheGreenMan wrote:
02 Jul 2020 10:25

Ever try a pizza?
Often. We do our own pizza's and they turn out great. Ordered some Lou Malnati's from Chicago that got delivered last week and threw 2 of them on, they were incedible!

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I have a primo xxl. Love it. I can dial it in and hold a temp +- 5 degrees for hours. Like 6 to 8 hours easy. It will also get over 500 to do pizzas and such. Holds more moister bc of the ceramic and build. Only maintenance is replacing the gasket every few years and tightening some hardware.

Pork belly tacos are amazing. We rock them often. Also do our own bacon and buckboard bacon which is a cured pork shoulder.

For my 8buear olds b day yesterday we did ribs a little different. I cut them into singles and smoked them then "fried" them in a wok with a plum sauce I made. The kids dont want ribs any other way now haha.

Football music and smoking meats is all I need. Well and some drinks ;)

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
02 Jul 2020 11:32
For my 8buear olds b day yesterday we did ribs a little different. I cut them into singles and smoked them then "fried" them in a wok with a plum sauce I made. The kids dont want ribs any other way now haha.
Damn that sounds really good. I usually do ribs my same way every time because I love the way they turn out, but that makes me want to change that.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Packfntk wrote:
02 Jul 2020 10:36
TheGreenMan wrote:
02 Jul 2020 10:25

Ever try a pizza?
Often. We do our own pizza's and they turn out great. Ordered some Lou Malnati's from Chicago that got delivered last week and threw 2 of them on, they were incedible!
I've purchased pizzas around here from restaurants and cooked em.

I know someone who does frozen pizzas too. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

HAHA, yeah. I did a frozen pizza my first time. Will never waste my time with that again. :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Next time your are smoking, just throw in some whole potatoes off to the side. Best baked potatoes I’ve ever had.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Here's what I did for the 4th:

RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Nice Bark!

How long did you do the sweet corn? How long smoke/wrapped? Any pointers?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Corn is awesome.

I soak them for a good while, peal back the husks, rub some butter, olive oil, salt and pepper on them, then bring the husks back up and tie them.

90-120 minutes around 225

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Packfntk wrote:
07 Jul 2020 12:34
Nice Bark!

How long did you do the sweet corn? How long smoke/wrapped? Any pointers?
I usually do at least 1.5hrs, 250-270 degrees. I tent them loosely, so they at least get a little bit of that smoke. Other than that, pretty straight forward. I just use salt, pepper, paprika, and some butter.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
07 Jul 2020 12:44
Corn is awesome.

I soak them for a good while, peal back the husks, rub some butter, olive oil, salt and pepper on them, then bring the husks back up and tie them.

90-120 minutes around 225
I keep meaning to try this route, but I haven't had it in me to mess with ties/husks yet.
RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Nice! Haven't done that before, will try! Thanks!

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Had a 2011 model Weber Spirit. Got some good use out of it but it has seen better days. Needed to have the flavorizer bars and grates replaced again. So I was going to look at a new grill this fall, possibly a Traeger or similar. We want(ed) something with a smaller foot print on the patio, too.

But last week we were in Target and they had a Spirit II on clearance as a floor model. Then they took an extra 15% off being the floor model and we got an extra 5% off using our red card. $197 for a grill that you can buy today at Lowes or ACE or elsewhere for $379. And we didn't need to put it together. Overall happy with it so far, like that it has a warming rack. I might try some wood chips to add a bit of flavor, haven't tried those in a propane grill before. Nothing beats classic charcoal, but those just take so long to heat up.

Put the old grill on the curb with a "free, works great needs cleaning" sign and it was gone within hours. Local landfill charges $15 per visit.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Got 3 racks of St Louis style pork ribs going today.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Just bought 2 plates of short ribs for tomorrow. Pics to come

For the fights tonight doing arepas with a Venezuelan style chicken salad to go in them.