2021 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

49ers at #3 Take...

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2021 00:11

Mac Jones
50%
Trey Lance
38%
Justin Fields
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Jan 2021 12:52
TheGreenMan wrote:
16 Jan 2021 12:47
Can't wait for QBs.

In terms of my "can't miss" miss prospects over the years:

Mahomes.
Brohm.
Losman.
Rosen.
Locker.
Quinn.
Croyle.

Are we seeing a pattern here?
Whoof.

You do have a type, though. Mahomes proved you should branch away from it more often, Haha.
I loved Mahomes and Losman. Other favorites over the years include Josh Allen, Josh Freeman, and... Jordan Love. 😎

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
16 Jan 2021 13:35
YoHoChecko wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
16 Jan 2021 12:47
Can't wait for QBs.

In terms of my "can't miss" miss prospects over the years:

Mahomes.
Brohm.
Losman.
Rosen.
Locker.
Quinn.
Croyle.

Are we seeing a pattern here?
Whoof.

You do have a type, though. Mahomes proved you should branch away from it more often, Haha.
I loved Mahomes and Losman. Other favorites over the years include Josh Allen, Josh Freeman, and... Jordan Love. 😎
I did like Josh Allen too. And Wentz, but wasn't in love with either of them.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheGreenMan wrote:
16 Jan 2021 13:49
NCF wrote:
16 Jan 2021 13:35
YoHoChecko wrote:

Whoof.

I did like Josh Allen too. And Wentz, but wasn't in love with either of them.
Oh yeah, Wentz was another one. But, same, just didn't see how the Rams picked Goff over him.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I rarely look at QBs in the draft honestly. I can't recall having an opinion at all on Mahomes or Trubisky that year--only knew Watson from his success at Clemson.

I remember thinking Wentz and Goff weren't good enough to be the top 2 picks just because they were the only good QBs, but nothing more specific than that.

2018 I needed a dynasty QB, so I paid attention; loved Baker, Rosen, and Darnold. Hated Josh Allen. Thought Jackson would only succeed if a team rebuilt their offense around him (and thankfully the Ravens finally took that route with a mobile QB), but never thought he'd succeed this much.

Was back to not caring much (though I was a huge Drew Lock fan last year) again until this year, when I suspected the Packers might start looking sometime soon. Loved Burrow and Tua. Thought Herbert was an obvious bust. Didn't pay attention much to Love because of his bad senior numbers, but also didn't think negatively of him. Once I actually looked at him, I really really loved his ceiling; but that was way late in the game. Really liked Eason a lot, too... and thought Hurts would need a similar offensive overhaul to the one Jackson got.

So my track record is below average and pretty thin, also.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 16 Jan 2021 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Jan 2021 14:24
Thought Herbert was an obvious bust.
Me too.

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
16 Jan 2021 14:26
YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Jan 2021 14:24
Thought Herbert was an obvious bust.
Me too.
Was also not a fan of him.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

2018 was the last year I had strong opinions on this.

I was super high on Josh Allen, he was my #1 QB... but I was convinced he was going to bust when Buffalo took him. That just seemed like an awful situation for a QB who needed work. I am as amazed at his success as people who did not like him.

I believe Rosen was my #2. I had the opposite thought with him, I thought he was pretty pro-ready and would be able to hold his own wherever he went, sans only a scheme that calls for some mobility at QB. Arizona was a bad situation, but I am still disappointed.

Liked Mayfield, thought he was pretty good. Not 1st overall good, but hey, if you see 'your guy' at QB, go get him.

I knew Darnold would disappoint. I also had roughly the same thought about Jackson as above mentioned -- would succeed if in a scheme tailored to him. I did think his talent was high enough that doing that would have been well worth spending a 1st on him.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
16 Jan 2021 15:12
I believe Rosen was my #2. I had the opposite thought with him, I thought he was pretty pro-ready and would be able to hold his own wherever he went, sans only a scheme that calls for some mobility at QB. Arizona was a bad situation, but I am still disappointed.

Liked Mayfield, thought he was pretty good. Not 1st overall good, but hey, if you see 'your guy' at QB, go get him.
I liked Mayfield best but thought Rosen was SO-pro-ready that I took him in the dynasty draft over Mayfield because I needed an immediate starter. Absolutely destroyed my fantasy development plan (our league has two super flexes, so you can start 3 QBs, making it crucial)

I thought Mayfield wasn't the true "lock" some QB classes have, but felt he was worthy of being the first pick in that particular draft. The other elite players were either low-value positions (Barkley, Quentin Nelson) or also less sure-thing-elite from other classes as Mayfield was at premiere positions (B. Chubb, Denzel Ward)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Man. I watch Zavin Collins and get mighty excited thinking about he and Barnes together with Martin as depth.

I'm far less excited about Martin than I was a few months ago. He just seems to always plug the wrong hole or not make the tackle.

But an ILB group of Barnes, Zaven, Martin and Summers might actually be a top ILB group. And with the league shifting back to using the middle of the field, running the ball and embracing the Shannahan outside zone scheme...I think having a strong, instinctual and fast ILB is really important.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, love Zaven

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Chris Olave staying at OSU.

Commonly mocker to the Packers in the first.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
18 Jan 2021 16:50

I don't understand why he's mocked high aside from OSU's recent track record of WRs. He looks like just a guy to me. I'm happy to have him out of my draft research and discussion for at least another several months. Just boring; watched multiple highlight tapes and can't recall being wowed at all, so I didn't bother moving beyond that. This class is way too good to chase mediocre talent because of his bigtime program putting him on the map. Just never understood the hype

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Jan 2021 17:01
BF004 wrote:
18 Jan 2021 16:50

I don't understand why he's mocked high aside from OSU's recent track record of WRs. He looks like just a guy to me. I'm happy to have him out of my draft research and discussion for at least another several months. Just boring; watched multiple highlight tapes and can't recall being wowed at all, so I didn't bother moving beyond that. This class is way too good to chase mediocre talent because of his bigtime program putting him on the map. Just never understood the hype
I agree. I didn't get it either.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

That is how I am feeling with Terrace Marshal in 2020 right now.

His 2019 was sooo much better. Maybe I’m watching the wrong plays, or maybe the team went to hell around him. But saw from him to elevate anyone else or his QB this year. Product or Burrow maybe?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

It's going to be really interesting this year with no combine. Probably going to be a lot of variance from the Industrial Draft Complex "Consensus".

Certainly seems though that the positions with the glut of players in that 25 to 40 range seems to be: WR, CB, IDL, and OT. I would also jump at ILB if either Zaven or that Notre Dame kid is available. Haven't done any research on why there has been a cooling on Dylan Moses who was very beloved last year.

Unfortunately my favorite players I was targeting earlier in the fall will likely be way out of our range. Caleb Farley was my favorite prospect a few months ago but he is looking like a top 15 guy from what I am reading.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I know SHOCKER.

But trading back this year seems REALLY attractive at least early on. Would love an extra early 4th and 6th or something to get 3 2nd rounders. There are a lot of IDL's that I like along with CBs that seemed primed in that 28 to 45 range or so.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
18 Jan 2021 17:40
I know SHOCKER.

But trading back this year seems REALLY attractive at least early on. Would love an extra early 4th and 6th or something to get 3 2nd rounders. There are a lot of IDL's that I like along with CBs that seemed primed in that 28 to 45 range or so.
I felt this way a lot when Zaven Collins and Kadarius Toney seemed like they would be more around 45th than 30th, but yes, still.

I want a lot of players this year.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
18 Jan 2021 17:37
It's going to be really interesting this year with no combine. Probably going to be a lot of variance from the Industrial Draft Complex "Consensus".

Certainly seems though that the positions with the glut of players in that 25 to 40 range seems to be: WR, CB, IDL, and OT. I would also jump at ILB if either Zaven or that Notre Dame kid is available. Haven't done any research on why there has been a cooling on Dylan Moses who was very beloved last year.

Unfortunately my favorite players I was targeting earlier in the fall will likely be way out of our range. Caleb Farley was my favorite prospect a few months ago but he is looking like a top 15 guy from what I am reading.
I’ve already called that ‘consensus’ shot a few years ago when Mayock left NFLN. He was obviously really good, but also really connected. He’d always kind of bring people back to their real range. “He was rated as Xth overall everywhere else” no longer has much meaning.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Chris Olave returning to OSU.

So I guess it's back to the drawing board on our obvious 1st selection. ;)
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

We have the 29th pick in the draft.

Just beating out Buffalo due to strength of schedule, they pick 30th.