2021 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

49ers at #3 Take...

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2021 00:11

Mac Jones
50%
Trey Lance
38%
Justin Fields
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

BF004
Reactions:

2021 NFL Draft Discussion

Post by BF004 »

Don't believe we have this thread yet.

Heard this is a good draft for tackles and WR's again.

Good for us, we could use youth at both.

Give me your fav WR's.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... 3-overall/

This mock here has the Texans trading Deshaun Watson to the Dolphins for what includes the #3 overall pick.

Can't imagine the thought of literally striking gold and you have an perpetual MVP caliber QB who is only 25 and you trade him away to get your own pick back. :suicide:
Zaven Collins LB
TULSA • JR • 6'4" / 260 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Green Bay
PROSPECT RNK
37th
POSITION RNK
5th
Love this prospect-team pairing because Collins has the size to rush off the edge in Mike Pettine's scheme and range from sideline-to-sideline when needed.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
21 Oct 2020 16:04
Give me your fav WR's.
I wouldn't call him my favorite, but maybe favorite for a specific role in this offense. Marlon Williams - UCF. Check him out... I'd like to know your thoughts.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I think WR is very top heavy like last season.

I believe the CB class is the best it’s been in years. I think it’s the best position in the draft. I can’t imagine our first pick not being a CB who replaces King.

The offensive line in general this class is good. There are a ton of good OTs. The interior has some really good players as well.

There are some really good safeties but I don’t think there’s any Jamal Adams types in here.

I think the defensive line and pass rushers are really weak in this class. A lot of DT/DE weird tweeners.

Probably 4 first round QBs but I could see Trask or Mac Jones sneaking in late possibly.

Linebacker is probably the worst position in the class. There Micah Parsons and a bunch of guys I’m not thrilled about. The combine is gonna be huge for this position.

Not a big fan of a lot of running backs. Usually I like a lot of backs but my list is pretty short this offseason.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Jan 2021 09:54
The combine is gonna be huge for this position.
Already word that The Combine is likely not happening this year.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
15 Jan 2021 10:17
lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Jan 2021 09:54
The combine is gonna be huge for this position.
Already word that The Combine is likely not happening this year.
And this will also be the year, via agent leaking, that about 57 guys are claiming they ran a sub 4.3. :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I will say this class is fairly weak in the "WR with RB size who is a perfect fit for the slot while also adding a speed element" position that has been strong the past two years.

The shifty, speedy slot players are numerous, for sure, but they come with typical speedy, slot size (under 5'11, under 190 lbs). The RBs who can catch really well aren't the fastest.

It's all fine, there are plenty of options for various dynamic roles and role players and weapons and whatnot... just fewer that meet ALL my criteria of wonder and joy.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Kadarius Toney looking to go right around that 30 overall range right now. Isn't as small as you'd expect giving his sick cutting ability.

Guy would be a freak in this offense, IMO.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
15 Jan 2021 11:12
Kadarius Toney looking to go right around that 30 overall range right now. Isn't as small as you'd expect giving his sick cutting ability.

Yeah, I'm a little obsessed with him as a prospect but don't love the first round value for him, so I'm not sure how to marry my desire for the player with the draft stock.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Jan 2021 11:19
BF004 wrote:

Yeah, I'm a little obsessed with him as a prospect but don't love the first round value for him, so I'm not sure how to marry my desire for the player with the draft stock.
I like him a lot more than Rondale Moore at this point.

More traditional WR, already big on Terrace Marshal around pick 32 as well.

Kind of one of those guys I am wondering why he is sometimes ranked like 50 instead of 15 on big boards.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Jan 2021 11:19
BF004 wrote:

Randy Cobb, better take him or plan to move up in round two, he'll be gone top 40 or so, specially if he runs sub 4.45, I know I'am going to fall for this guy hard if he storms the combine :clap:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
15 Jan 2021 11:23
I like him a lot more than Rondale Moore at this point.

More traditional WR, already big on Terrace Marshal around pick 32 as well.

Kind of one of those guys I am wondering why he is sometimes ranked like 50 instead of 15 on big boards.
I guess this is sort of my thing.

I, too, like Toney better than Moore; but I felt that both Toney and Moore are better fits for around the mid-second round than the first because they force you to sacrifice things--in this case, size. Marshal does make sense as he's more prototypical, which I value if you're going to spend a first round pick, without sacrificing much speed. Now if he runs in the 4.5s, then I bump him back a little, too.

But if you're a 6'3" productive WR coming from an NFL-style system with all the bulk, speed, and experience needed to evaluate your NFL transition, that's a solid first round choice.

But all that said, I'd rather add Toney to my team than Marshal.

I'm talking myself in circles here, but these are the types of hair-splitting things I do when thinking about the line between guys I want on my team and their draft value.

Like last year, I wanted Deguara, Runyan, and AJ Dillon on the team, but only Runyan was selected in the range that felt like good value. In the long run, I am very happy to have those guys. In the short run, I was disappointed we didn't get more value out of the higher picks.

Same thing here. If we take Toney at 30, I'll be like "this is GREAT for our offense," but I'll also feel like we could have had 90% of that production with a late second rounder and still grabbed a top notch DT or CB (though I like the second round CBs, too)

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

It is possible they could trade Love. But he is worth a top 10 pick now, maybe top 5. He had everything you want last year except maturity, to be a top 5 pick. I believe Da Bears need a real QB and have the #20 pick, that plus their 2nd pick and their 3rd round pick might tempt Green Bay.

It might be interesting to mock the Packers assuming they have the #20 pick and the #32 pick and Chicago's 2nd and 3rd round picks. Lots of ability to move around and get that OT and CB that they will need.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheSkeptic wrote:
15 Jan 2021 23:47
It is possible they could trade Love. But he is worth a top 10 pick now, maybe top 5. He had everything you want last year except maturity, to be a top 5 pick. I believe Da Bears need a real QB and have the #20 pick, that plus their 2nd pick and their 3rd round pick might tempt Green Bay.

It might be interesting to mock the Packers assuming they have the #20 pick and the #32 pick and Chicago's 2nd and 3rd round picks. Lots of ability to move around and get that OT and CB that they will need.
There is no possible way Love is traded. His value has never been lower than it is right now, having sat on the bench as a 3rd stringer all last season. No one would give up more than we took him for at this point. Trading Love this year is a stupid idea promulgated by people who hated the Love pick and want to be proven right faster than is possible given the circumstances. If Jordan Love is not a Green Bay Packer on opening day this year, permanently change my signature to honor those who have suggested such a terrible notion.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Can't wait for QBs.

In terms of my "can't miss" miss prospects over the years:

Mahomes.
Brohm.
Losman.
Rosen.
Locker.
Quinn.
Croyle.

Are we seeing a pattern here?
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Jan 2021 11:45
TheSkeptic wrote:

There is no possible way Love is traded. His value has never been lower than it is right now, having sat on the bench as a 3rd stringer all last season. No one would give up more than we took him for at this point. Trading Love this year is a stupid idea promulgated by people who hated the Love pick and want to be proven right faster than is possible given the circumstances. If Jordan Love is not a Green Bay Packer on opening day this year, permanently change my signature to honor those who have suggested such a terrible notion.
I hated the pick, still do, however I'am not delusional, I also think the other few people here that openly hated the pick where joking when they suggested trading him, most here know without a doubt that Loves value now is less then when he was drafted, he couldn't even beat out Boyle to ever claim the backup position, and everyone in the league knows it.

saying that doesn't mean much, I think it's actually good that it was unlikely for him to be forced to play this season, his confidence sounds good, next year he'll be more prepared to protect that, I'am convinced more QB's would succeed if given more time holding a clip board :munch:

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Yoop wrote:
16 Jan 2021 12:49
YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Jan 2021 11:45
TheSkeptic wrote:

I hated the pick, still do, however I'am not delusional, I also think the other few people here that openly hated the pick where joking when they suggested trading him, most here know without a doubt that Loves value now is less then when he was drafted, he couldn't even beat out Boyle to ever claim the backup position, and everyone in the league knows it.

saying that doesn't mean much, I think it's actually good that it was unlikely for him to be forced to play this season, his confidence sounds good, next year he'll be more prepared to protect that, I'am convinced more QB's would succeed if given more time holding a clip board :munch:
Agreed yoop.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheGreenMan wrote:
16 Jan 2021 12:47
Can't wait for QBs.

Mahomes.
Brohm.
Losman.
Rosen.
Locker.
Quinn.
Croyle.

Whoof.

You do have a type, though. Mahomes proved you should branch away from it more often, Haha.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Jan 2021 12:52
TheGreenMan wrote:
Can't wait for QBs.

Mahomes.
Brohm.
Losman.
Rosen.
Locker.
Quinn.
Croyle.

Whoof.

You do have a type, though. Mahomes proved you should branch away from it more often, Haha.
Yeah, think I could be scouting QBs for Chicago at this point. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
16 Jan 2021 12:52
TheGreenMan wrote:
Can't wait for QBs.

Mahomes.
Brohm.
Losman.
Rosen.
Locker.
Quinn.
Croyle.

Whoof.

haha, Green shouldn't feel badly about it though, the GM's that picked those guys get paid big kachunga's to make the same mistakes.

I miss on 99.9 % of my picks :rotf: