2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

If the Packers win the SB, that is possible. If the Packers don't make the playoffs, a conditional 3rd is also possible. My bet is that the Packers make the playoffs but do not get to the SB. Then, if they trade him to a team with a bad record and a top 5 pick, they have to give up their own 2nd round pick. So they go into the draft with a top 5 pick and a late 1st round pick, mid 20's.

Adams is gone, needs to be replaced. Top 5 pick, either the 1st or the 2nd best WR.

Mid 20's goes to the Dline or a LB.

Resign Tonyan and Jenkins.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we could lose every remaining game and Rodgers would still draw a 1st a 2nd or 3rd and also a very good starter player from one of the half doz teams that would bid for his services, and he will get the choice of which team that will be, we lost leverage by not trading him last spring when he would have brought two first and the bonus 2nd rounder and player, plus Rodgers is tenured, he can refuse a trade to a team he doesn't want to go to.

also, we havn't drafted a first round WR in 19 years and that turned out poorly, plus Guty passed on the best class of em in a decade, so I don't see that happening either.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
26 Sep 2021 03:57
If the Packers win the SB, that is possible. If the Packers don't make the playoffs, a conditional 3rd is also possible. My bet is that the Packers make the playoffs but do not get to the SB. Then, if they trade him to a team with a bad record and a top 5 pick, they have to give up their own 2nd round pick. So they go into the draft with a top 5 pick and a late 1st round pick, mid 20's.

Adams is gone, needs to be replaced. Top 5 pick, either the 1st or the 2nd best WR.

Mid 20's goes to the Dline or a LB.

Resign Tonyan and Jenkins.
Something tells me you weren't an appraiser in your professional life. :lol:

Looking at past trades to establish a market is the smart thing here. The latest trade we have to go off is Matt Stafford.

The Lions got 2 1st rounders, a 3rd rounder and a former #1 overall pick. (likely worth another 2nd or 3rd rounder or so)

Rodgers I believe is still the more coveted player in a trade situation. Though Rodgers has 4 years on Stafford, Rodgers is superior in terms of talent, leadership, wins, turnovers, etc.

A team who believe they are that "one piece away" will trade a lot to make it happen. There will also be multiple teams bidding for Rodgers services which will push the price up.

At minimum, I believe we are still looking at 2 1st rounders. Things would have to REALLY fall off the rails and people starting question Rodgers's passion for the game. But even there, we have precedent of Favre being a success in MN and Manning in Denver, Brady in TB if "put in the right situation"

I don't think we will get a top 5 pick out of Rodgers. My guess is teams picking top 5 will realize they aren't ready for a HOF QB. My guess is it will be a top 8 to top 20 team giving us the trade. A .500 team with a good defense.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 Sep 2021 07:44
also, we havn't drafted a first round WR in 19 years and that turned out poorly
:dunno: :dunno:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’d say Javon Walker was a success for us.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
26 Sep 2021 08:43
Not for his friend who got shot though.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
how so? taken 20th over all he had one very average season, one very good season and two injury seasons, imo thats hardly considered a success, and wanted more money then we'd pay to resign him, and only had a couple good seasons after that, I'd take what we got from our 4 2nd rounders we've drafted ever since, in fact I wish we'd have taken more 2nd rounders ;)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
26 Sep 2021 08:55
BF004 wrote:
how so? taken 20th over all he had one very average season, one very good season and two injury seasons, imo thats hardly considered a success, and wanted more money then we'd pay to resign him, and only had a couple good seasons after that, I'd take what we got from our 4 2nd rounders we've drafted ever since, in fact I wish we'd have taken more 2nd rounders ;)
You can occasionally look things up to not make up information.

Definitely not two injury seasons, and my goodness, who would not be excited where his career was headed after year 3. That is an elite season my friend, not an above average one, while he was like 25.

Was a good pick, he lived up to his potential, became a budding top 10 WR in year 3, what else can you ask? Unfortunate injury then a new GM traded him away. We got a good pick that either became Daryn College or Greg Jennings.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:
I'd take what we got from our 4 2nd rounders we've drafted ever since, in fact I wish we'd have taken more 2nd rounders ;)
Let me just clarify this was the only portion of the post that I liked. The first part I did not. :lol: And that's more just about how insanely good of a stretch the Packers were at selecting WRs in the 2nd round. (I still think Terrance Murphy could have been part of that group if not for injury)

Javon Walker in 2004 was insane. His life after he left GB was insane for different reasons. But as a Packer he was absolutely a great selection.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
26 Sep 2021 09:46
Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Definitely not two injury seasons, and my goodness, who would not be excited where his career was headed after year 3. That is an elite season my friend, not an above average one, while he was like 25.

Was a good pick, he lived up to his potential, became a budding top 10 WR in year 3, what else can you ask? Unfortunate injury then a new GM traded him away. We got a good pick that either became Daryn College or Greg Jennings.
with his lousy year one stats I thought he was injured, whatever his second season did not live up to slot value either, his 3rd season he blossomed, then injured his 4th and complained about getting a big contract and we dumped him, I took a quick look at PFR to see his career stats, and imo Walker had one very good season ( all right , elite ) and was average the rest of his career when ya consider the slot he was taken, all 4 of our 2nd rounders where consistently much better then Walker.

Jennings was hot right out of the gate and was consistently more productive then Walker, and College was a very versatile OL, I'am not sure why you'd reference two players that consistentlu did well.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 Sep 2021 10:57

all 4 of our 2nd rounders where consistently much better then Walker.

Jennings was hot right out of the gate and was consistently more productive then Walker, and College was a very versatile OL, I'am not sure why you'd reference two players that consistentlu did well.
This is more about TT being an absolute god at finding and selecting WRs than it was about Javon Walker being a bad selection.

TT's record of selecting WRs in Rounds 2 and 3 is absolutely, insanely NFL legendary type of thing that does not get enough appreciation.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
26 Sep 2021 11:11
Yoop wrote:

all 4 of our 2nd rounders where consistently much better then Walker.

This is more about TT being an absolute god at finding and selecting WRs than it was about Javon Walker being a bad selection.

TT's record of selecting WRs in Rounds 2 and 3 is absolutely, insanely NFL legendary type of thing that does not get enough appreciation.
true about Ted and second round WR picks, thats why I said a couple years after taking Adams I wish he'd have did that again, I also didn't mean to imply that Walker was a bad pick, just that it didn't work out as well as we'd hoped, poorly was possibly a poor choice of words since I didn't explain myself well.

of course everyone wanted to see Walker explode again year 4, who wouldn't, but he injured himself and still wanted a very big contract.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
BF004 wrote:
26 Sep 2021 09:46
Yoop wrote:

with his lousy year one stats I thought he was injured, whatever his second season did not live up to slot value either, his 3rd season he blossomed, then injured his 4th and complained about getting a big contract and we dumped him, I took a quick look at PFR to see his career stats, and imo Walker had one very good season ( all right , elite ) and was average the rest of his career when ya consider the slot he was taken, all 4 of our 2nd rounders where consistently much better then Walker.

Lousy rookie year, lol. So committed to just being right you just interpret stats with a conclusion in mind. Javon Walker was a great budding receiver when he got hurt. In terms of development and production, sans an unfortunate injury, this was a very solid pick.

Could you imagine our excitement now if we got a WR who put up roughly a 90/1400/12 season in his 3rd year?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 Sep 2021 11:41

true about Ted and second round WR picks, thats why I said a couple years after taking Adams I wish he'd have did that again,
Unfortunately that's not how it works. There also has to be a WR available that Ted has strong conviction about to actually select.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
26 Sep 2021 12:32
Yoop wrote:
26 Sep 2021 11:41

true about Ted and second round WR picks, thats why I said a couple years after taking Adams I wish he'd have did that again,
Unfortunately that's not how it works. There also has to be a WR available that Ted has strong conviction about to actually select.
wow I never thought of that, thanks for telling me how this &%$@ works, this reminds me of the BS that it was impossible for Guty to trade up and take one of those top 5 or 6 two years ago, it's a luxury to be young and naive.

every year there are 4 to 5 1st round value WR, sometimes one will slide into round two, as well as a couple that where rated lower then the slot there picked in, for you to act as though thats not true is false.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

also, we havn't drafted a first round WR in 19 years and that turned out poorly, plus Guty passed on the best class of em in a decade, so I don't see that happening either.

It did turn out lousy, he got hurt year 4, and his contract demands where to high for us to resign him.

I let you drag me down a road I never intended, a successful pick to me is one that plays here more then just his rookie deal, he didn't do much as a rookie, had a very average 2nd year then had a very great third season ( is that better) then became glass his 4th, and got in hot water with Favre and Sherman over contract demands, in fact if memory serves he even threatened to hold out.

maybe stick to the point, which was, we tend to draft our receivers in round two, at least the ones that pan out, or we draft the scabs in the mid rounds that never seem to.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
26 Sep 2021 13:05
I do not think this at all.

Yes i wish we would have invested more in recent years.

Although because we had a sub par WR room, maybe 17-19, doesn’t mean we were bad. We probably have had literally the best, consistent, WR room in the NFL in the last 19 years. Not above average, the best. Far far far from turned out poorly.

Try to find better over that time.

And we did take a WR in the best WR class the of the last decade ;) (Davante, Evans, OBJ, Cooks, Landry, Robinson) 2014 quite possibly the best overall draft class of the last generation.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Yeeeee this went a different direction.

I'll start with this we missed in the best class ever stuff.

Jefferson (whom I loved and said he will be the best in that class) was gone. Lamb looks to be a stud and so does Jeudy. Ruggs was the 1st wr off the board. Reagor and Aiyuk have a long ways to go. So unless we got Jefferson which would have been a hard grab we didnt have a shot at these guys. I'm so over the we missed on this class at WR. And please no Tee Higgens talk. Hes not a game changer

Now I was going to wait til my 1st mock but check put Romeo Doubs. Wr Nevada. Thats my dude. I also an on board with the burks love. But Doubs has the highest ceiling in this class. Hes Julio imo.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
26 Sep 2021 14:37
Yeeeee this went a different direction.

I'll start with this we missed in the best class ever stuff.

Jefferson (whom I loved and said he will be the best in that class) was gone. Lamb looks to be a stud and so does Jeudy. Ruggs was the 1st wr off the board. Reagor and Aiyuk have a long ways to go. So unless we got Jefferson which would have been a hard grab we didnt have a shot at these guys. I'm so over the we missed on this class at WR. And please no Tee Higgens talk. Hes not a game changer

Now I was going to wait til my 1st mock but check put Romeo Doubs. Wr Nevada. Thats my dude. I also an on board with the burks love. But Doubs has the highest ceiling in this class. Hes Julio imo.
He’s the first WR i checked on this year. Didn’t love him, didn’t hate him.

He is no Julio.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I love him. Hands catcher. Gets seperation. Nice feet and doesnt go down easy.